closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Family break early July: Split or Dubrovnik?

Family break early July: Split or Dubrovnik?

There will be a little visiting but a lot of swimming in the sea from a preferably sandy beach. Planes to Split look cheaper.
    Any recommendations from the hive’s knowledge base?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I personally prefer dubrovnik. Beaches aren't amazing but a decent coastline where you can always find somewhere nice. Try the islands too. I stayed on Sipan a couple of times and it's cheap to get to on the local car ferry from the mainland.

...oh and the approach to the airport through the valley is pretty cool too!

Master
    I am from Croatia. Ditch both, plan vacation in Istria, Umag, Rovinj or Porec. Much cheaper and better option.

Umag has around 10 miles of sandy beaches on the edges of city.

Dubrovnik is ridiculously overpriced and Split is a traffic mess, without decent beach in area.

I also seriously suggest you visit Zagreb, it is not on coastline but it is great during summer.
    Last edited by sinner77; 4th March 2019 at 15:53.

Dubrovnik is well worth a visit

Master
    ...for a day. ...

You can walk on Stradun and see where GOT was filmed. ..

... And that's about it. ....

Master
    I am based in Zagreb but go to Istria a lot for work and obviously have had a few hols in Split and Dubrovnik !

Advice form me
    - sandy beaches do not really exist in Croatia (yes there a few but even those are not great) so manage expectations there. Buying some neoprene shoes also help and they are available everywhere. One benefit of no sand Is that the water is amazingly clear.
    - as mentioned Split and Dubrovnik get incredibly busy in the summer, both for good reason though. I would say though that the cities themselves can be ‘done’ in one day. After that you are better on the beach and in the water (a lot cooler !)
    - I would look at one of the many of the islands to stay on and you can combine trips into Dubrovnik, Split, Mostar etc
    - Istria is a good shout, though Rovinj can also get very busy in season. You would need to fly into Pula for that
    - if sailing is an option for you have a look at hiring a boat+skipper. Prices can be remarkably reasonable.
    - Zagreb is nice, but it is dead July-Aug as everyone is st the beach !
    - there are a lot of options for where to stay. Have a look at renting a villa as that can work well
    - people are really welcoming but they can get overwhelmed with tourist numbers in the summer. So service does drop in the really busy places.

Overall really enjoyed living here and would recommend a visit to anyone.
    Last edited by JP28; 4th March 2019 at 19:30.

Grand Master
    Rovinj is good, holidayed there a few years ago. Cavtat is nice too, but not much there. OK for an easy day trip to Dubrovnic....one day's enough, it's far too busy for me. Avoid visiting on the days the cruise ships visit!

A day trip to Venice is possible from Rovinj, provided you don`t mind the hovercraft which is quite noisy.

Croatia's nice, recommend a visit.

Blog Entries
    Dubrovnik is well worth a look…. Yes, it’s busy and relatively expensive (not Côte d’Azur expensive!!!)

I went for one day and then jumped in my hire car , drove for a couple of hours and got the ferry to Korcula, which has a truly stunning old town and some nice ish beaches too…. Would throughly recommend it

We stayed in Makarska, lovely beaches, easy to visit Split and Dubrovnik.

If you want quiet, picturesque and nice restaurants then Cavtat is worth a look. Haven for millionaires yachts off the beaten track but not priced accordingly. Not far from Dubrovnik.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Another vote here for Cavtat, lovely little place which if my memory serves me correctly is older than Dubrovnik.

Just booked Croatia,flying into split and coming back from Dubrovnik,so did a search and found this thread,I’m also planning on going to budva.
    This thread is 4 years old now,anybody been more recently,with any tips .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Went to both in July. Both worth a visit but only for a day. Didn’t find either expensive, in fact we commented that Dubrovnik was actually quite reasonable for such a tourist trap.
    Personally I’d fly to Split and then get a ferry to one of the islands such as Hvar or Korcula.
    Found everything reasonably priced and people friendly. It was the first time we’ve been but will definitely go back.
    Last edited by craig1912; 8th January 2023 at 17:56.

Master
    We stayed in Bol (on Brac) in 2019 and liked it so much we are going back again this year. Lovely relaxed island with better food than we had been expecting. Plenty to do but a great place also to chill if that's your thing.

we stayed in Mlini one of the best holidays ever

https://www.placesofjuma.com/mlini-croatia/

and stopped here in annexe

https://www.maistra.com/properties/h...=hotel_astarea

On the way to Dubrovnik, stop off at Ston and walk around the amazing wall and battlements. Then pop into the main town for oysters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk