closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Compressor for car tyres

Compressor for car tyres

I'm currently using one of the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter of my car. It's served me well, but it takes a long time to do its thing.

Can some recommend something better?

Plugging into the mains isn't a problem, though I don't need some enormous expensive piece of kit that does lots of other things too. I've never needed another reason to have compressed air and I can't see that changing.

Blog Entries
    I use a Makita one like this.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/mak...ator-body-only

It uses the same batteries as my drill, strimmer, saw etc.

So far works well, and being cordless is easy to use.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have the same Makita. It works well for the money, but nothing like having a proper set up.
    It's just a matter of time...

I think it’s irrelevant how the air gets into the tyre, what matters is the accuracy of the gauge you are using. Little point adding 36 PSI (according to the gauge) if you are actually are only putting in 29 PSI.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think it’s irrelevant how the air gets into the tyre, what matters is the accuracy of the gauge you are using. Little point adding 36 PSI (according to the gauge) if you are actually are only putting in 29 PSI.
    It's not irrelevant to me how quickly it gets in the tyre.

Do you have a recommendation that has an accurate gauge?

Anyone used one of these?

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...or-847159.html
    Last edited by Tony; 10th October 2021 at 20:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Not what you were wanting to hear OP, but I suspect the budget all-in-one compressors have gauges that aren't the most accurate.

I had a similar dilemma a couple of years back and posted on here (I think).

I ended up with a proper PCL in-line gauge and PCL air compressor. Yes, it's overkill because I have no other current use for the compressor, but it is small enough to fit in a corner of the garage and with two cars and three motorbikes it will probably just about earn its keep.

The gauge is spot-on accurate and the PCL fittings are industry standard.

Think the whole lot cost me in the region of £250ish.

Last edited by ralphy; 10th October 2021 at 21:53.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post

Anyone used one of these?

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...or-847159.html
    Think the description of that one as being 'programable' is stretching the definition of the word. Even cheap £20 ones usually have an auto-stop.

Master
    I use a foot pump, which works well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I have a separate pressure gauge, and the Makita inflator reads the same, I compare the readings and was pleasantly surprised by that. Also my car has tyre pressure display from the TPMS sensors, which also confirms the other two. Having been in the tyre game, in the far distant past, I appreciate the importance of correct tyre pressures.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I have one of these, it’s not the quickest but the gauge reads to within 0.5 psi of what the TPMS reads which is good enough for me. It’s not the fastest but I can afford the extra 90 seconds or so out of my day.

Ring Automotive RAC601 Digital Tyre Inflator with Auto Stop and LED Light For cars, motorbikes, inflatables and more https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J9KQ2...3GTG0MXW0VCKEJ

I recently checked my tires at one of those coin operated pumps where you digitally set the pressure on the machine and it beeps when the tyre reaches said pressure. Surprisingly all my tyres were low by about 10psi or so but as I hadn't checked them for about 8 weeks (I normally do it weekly) I didn't think too much about it. Once I had my setup running again in the garage (we've recently moved house) I carried out the weekly check and all my pressures were high by about 10psi.

I use a commercial setup utilising a 3hp compressor with a 420 litre receiver and PCL MK3 analogue inflator (who have been in the business of making tyre inflators for over 75 years). I then check with a Michelin digital gauge so I know my setup is pretty accurate. I called the garage and reported the inaccuracy as it's about a 30 to 40% discrepancy depending on your tyre pressure, which could easily be the difference between staying in control and not, shocking really!

I use a track pump and a digital peessure gauge

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mav112 View Post
    I use a track pump and a digital peessure gauge

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So do I - A Topeak !! A PCL inline gauge or a dunlop gauge which I have had for years and still works.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 11th October 2021 at 15:27.

I bought one of these recently and am impressed so far. Works on cars and road bikes to >100psi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Port.../dp/B07XZCLGVQ

I bought one of these which works well and is quick - inflates the Tesla which has high psi (42) and seems much quicker than my previous Michelin one - also nice & quiet.

Makita LXT is great - I never bother with the workshop compressor for tyres now. Gauge is accurate.

I've had a Ring RAC900 for about 10 years. Purchased to inflate trailer tyres to 90psi, which most consumer compressors won't get near. But it's fine for general use too. Absolutely solid bit of kit and whilst use of croc clips can be a pain if you're in a rush I'd take one over the smaller units any day of the week.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RAC900

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    I've had a Ring RAC900 for about 10 years. Purchased to inflate trailer tyres to 90psi, which most consumer compressors won't get near. But it's fine for general use too. Absolutely solid bit of kit and whilst use of croc clips can be a pain if you're in a rush I'd take one over the smaller units any day of the week.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RAC900

I have the lidl/aldi version of this - looks exactly the same but with cigarette lighter power connector. German made - 3 year warranty - pretty sure paid less than £15. Can't knock it

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    I have the lidl/aldi version of this - looks exactly the same but with cigarette lighter power connector. German made - 3 year warranty - pretty sure paid less than £15. Can't knock it
    Yes that's a lot cheaper than the Ring version! I'm convinced the larger chamber and external heat sink design on these gives them a longer running life.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the Makita LXT
    Great piece of kit.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ring RTC1000 for me. Tyres are inflated within 2-3 minutes. Set the correct pressure and it will do it automatically.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automo...6%2CB08MLJG4ZQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of these, fantastic bit of kit. Accurate gauge and rechargeable battery make it easy to use. Battery lasts well (I have 2 cars and 2 bikes to check so no plugging in makes it a much easier job).

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Ring RTC1000 for me. Tyres are inflated within 2-3 minutes. Set the correct pressure and it will do it automatically.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Automo...6%2CB08MLJG4ZQ
    Ended up buying one of these, along with one of the Draper digital gauges. Just the job.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Small update, I used the Lidl compressor today and it still works when not connected to a tyre but when I put it on the valve it doesn't seem to have enough power to inflate.

Any how, grabbed the box and found the original receipt. I paid £12.99 from Lidl in October 2013. It came with 3 year warranty.

I've had two of these, one for each car. First one the switch failed after about 6 years, and this one today.

So definitely vfm. Need to find one in the meantime in case these don't come up again for a while.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    For this, an Aldi/Lidl 25L compressor will be ideal.

I bought one the same design as this one and its fantastic.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AstroAI-Inf...s%2C160&sr=8-7