closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Glass

Sky Glass

https://www.sky.com/glass/technical-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone had a proper look yet or ordered one?

Looks competitive but really are tied to Sky

It’s a step too far for me. I don’t want to tie my TV to a provider. What happens if you cancel Sky? Does a purchased TV become useless?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    It’s a step too far for me. I don’t want to tie my TV to a provider. What happens if you cancel Sky? Does a purchased TV become useless?
    I would second that just buy a normal telly and you can watch what you want on it

Blog Entries
    From what my understanding is it is a tv with a built in tuner so if you decide not to take the Sky product so be it but it’s not for me
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

The other USP is that it's got a built in soundbar and subwoofer, so it really is the only item you need on your telly stand. Pretty nifty from that point of view.

I had thought about buying the small one to replace our kitchen TV (£13 a month for 48 months at 0% interest) and then getting the "Puck" 2nd unit (£50) that can replace my old sky+ box in the lounge, enabling me to keep my reasonably new TV and ditch the ugly dish.

I was thinking of upgrading to Sky Q anyway, so this may be a better answer.

I have tried to cancel and forget Sky in the past as we only really watch stuff that's free to air anyway, but the Sky+ recording feature, series link, the planner and having everything on catch up in one place, is just superb compared to having to navigate all the different catch up apps separately.

I think there will be millions of people who feel the same so my guess is that it'll be pretty successful for them.

To add - the Glass TVs do have a regular TV Ariel port and tuner as well, so if your internet goes down, you can still watch conventional TV on it or plug another type of input feed into the HDMI.....so from that point of view, it's just a regular LED TV.
    Last edited by mr noble; 10th October 2021 at 18:59.

Hello

It's an interesting move from Sky, but a few observations / questions.

What about those who already have TV's they're happy with. Is there still an option like now for them.
    Will it be wall mounted and or have some kind of stand option.
    Will it support all non Sky streaming services / apps etc. And fully support them.
    Will it support all routers / broadband providers as the current setup does.
    What happens if there's a fault, Sky goes down. Will other stuff work.
    Can you link a laptop / games console to it.

I'm not expecting answers, it's an interesting move not sure how it will pan out.

Best,

Ben

Master
    Will it keep up with modern TV tech like Sony, Samsung, LG etc have. Much prefer to choose my own TV.

Master
    They don’t supply boxes that are reliable, I have no hope for a tv

I also like my 5.1 set up with a proper sub.

Their tvs look about a decade old with the thickness.

It is a no from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    They don’t supply boxes that are reliable, I have no hope for a tv

I also like my 5.1 set up with a proper sub.

Their tvs look about a decade old with the thickness.

It is a no from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess they're that thick to fit the box and speaker gubbins in there?

Cheers,

Adam.

Sky claim to be going carbon neutral, they must be using the same maths as the electric car makers, what will happen to all of the obsolete or redundant kit?

Sky Glass

Looks like a desperate attempt to keep customers - let’s face it, you can buy an Amazon firestick or similar for peanuts, stick it in the back of any tv, get your broadband from any number of providers and stream Netflix/BritBox/Prime/Disney + to your hearts content. Wiring it directly into a big telly and giving it a fancy name doesn’t change that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 11th October 2021 at 21:12.

I saw the advert for Sky Glass and I thought with the name it must be like my LG, the thickness of a couple of sheets of glass. When I saw how thick it actually was it put me off.

I think the 'puck' on it's own could be a good seller, but can't see a huge market for a combined TV/Soundbar/Sky box when most people already have a half decent TV they'd want to keep. Can't see the benefit of getting rid of an already fitted dish is enough of a draw for most, new installs maybe. Guess some people will go down the small glass for the bedroom/kitchen then a puck for the main TV route. When they start selling the pucks on their own (they do apparently work without a glass TV), then that will fly out i reckon

Master
    Sky to change name to radio rentals.

I fail to see any advantage here. At all. You are locked in to a middle of the road TV for 24 to 48 months, that isn't particularly nice to look at.

Nope.

We ditched sky years ago - a truly useless service nowadays with all the streaming services available for a fraction of the price.

Blog Entries
    Are you obliged to have the full sky package with this? Seems like a reasonable price for a fairly slick piece of kit…. Was considering a new telly too

Master
    My son has been BETA testing this at home for a few months.
    Just be careful before you decide go ahead that your broadband speed is fast enough for the quality of the picture you require as it maybe that satellite is still the best option if, like me, you are limited on download speed i.e. < 10Mbps.

I genuinely try to minimise the amount of money the Murdoch machine gets out of me. So won’t be buying anyway.

I’m struggling to see what the advantage of this rather clunky looking TV are though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I genuinely try to minimise the amount of money the Murdoch machine gets out of me. So won’t be buying anyway.

I’m struggling to see what the advantage of this rather clunky looking TV are though.
    Good for somebody leaving home into a multi occupancy flat that doesn't have a communal satellite dish and hasn't got a modern large TV perhaps ?

Master

I agree with you the murdoch clan are pretty vile one reason I won’t have sky broadband even though the mrs wants it cos it’s cheaper than our current provider I think the original one was summed up perfectly on the old 80s spitting image

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I agree with you the murdoch clan are pretty vile one reason I won’t have sky broadband even though the mrs wants it cos it’s cheaper than our current provider I think the original one was summed up perfectly on the old 80s spitting image
    Unless i have missed something i thought Sky was now owned by Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Are you obliged to have the full sky package with this? Seems like a reasonable price for a fairly slick piece of kit…. Was considering a new telly too
    Says it comes with a £26 Sky Exclusive/originals package + Netflix (presumably the HD £9.99 package) for £34 per month, so anyone paying for both basic Sky and Netflix are getting a free TV and saving £2 per month – based on 55 inch TV for 24 months.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Says it comes with a £26 Sky Exclusive/originals package + Netflix (presumably the HD £9.99 package) for £34 per month, so anyone paying for both basic Sky and Netflix are getting a free TV and saving £2 per month – based on 55 inch TV for 24 months.
    Are you sure about that deal? Haven’t looked at it in detail but that does sound too good to be true.

I like the idea and we will possibly get one. Either for main room or the spare room when we move house. Like the idea of no dish / wires!

Blog Entries
    Really? 43” is fine for us, sounds like a good deal (although already locked into a deal currently - maybe they’ll allow me to swap?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Are you sure about that deal? Haven’t looked at it in detail but that does sound too good to be true.

I like the idea and we will possibly get one. Either for main room or the spare room when we move house. Like the idea of no dish / wires!
    That’s the key thing for me…. I have a pretty Edwardian house with a rather unsightly dish on the side…. I can hear the neighbours tut (in my head)

No, the basic TV package £26 is on top of the TV cost (55in £34 for 24 months). Total cost says 'from' £39 a month, which is the 43in over 48 months at £13 PLUS the £26 a month for the most basic TV package, which is no sport, no cinema, no kids, no HD and the basic Netflix, which means 1 screen at once and SD only
    Last edited by Brighty; 12th October 2021 at 02:53.

They want ot charge £5 a month for the ab ility to fast forward through adverts?
    That's the only reason we currently subscribe to Sky. Buggered if I'm going to go down a route that charges more for a feature I'm currently getting as part of the package.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    They want ot charge £5 a month for the ab ility to fast forward through adverts?
    That's the only reason we currently subscribe to Sky. Buggered if I'm going to go down a route that charges more for a feature I'm currently getting as part of the package.
    I would happily pay £5 a month to just press a button to not have to FFW and simply jump to the next section of the thing I wanted to watch.

Or have it as default to just omit them, similar to sometimes ITV on demand / downloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I would happily pay £5 a month to just press a button to not have to FFW and simply jump to the next section of the thing I wanted to watch.

Or have it as default to just omit them, similar to sometimes ITV on demand / downloaded.
    With Sky Q you can more or less do that now.
    Press >> to fast forward.
    Press Right arrow for times to skip ahead four minutes (advert breaks are mostly four minutes long.)
    Press play.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    I have tried to cancel and forget Sky in the past as we only really watch stuff that's free to air anyway, but the Sky+ recording feature, series link, the planner and having everything on catch up in one place, is just superb compared to having to navigate all the different catch up apps separately.
    I stopped subscribing to Sky about 6 years ago and have been using a Freesat box through the Sky dish ever since. Allows all the things you've mentioned there without subscription

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    With Sky Q you can more or less do that now.
    Press >> to fast forward.
    Press Right arrow for times to skip ahead four minutes (advert breaks are mostly four minutes long.)
    Press play.
    Did not know that, thanks.

I use a harmony remote, so will give it a try but not sure it will work.

Master

Rupert wouldn't gain very much from your custom sadly, he sold his remaining stake in Sky in 2018.

But I wouldn't buy one of these even if the great man did stand to earn a few quid. While I dislike having to cable up several different gadgets, that does offer more flexibility / ease of replacement / upgrade.

Master
    It looks like orders have started for long standing customers. Does anybody have an order link they can share to order?

We cancelled sky last time we moved house so have apparently been customers for 4 years only meaning probably need to wait a while to be able to order it.

We are moving house again and hence would rather get Glass so no need for dish.

I thought that this was going to be about Squid Game.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH