closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Horse-riding abroad

Horse-riding abroad

No, not for me.

The children have shown some aptitude for it and I was wondering about the best way of progressing.

I've been on the BHS website and I have a few contacts for courses in the UK.

But abroad, I'm not so sure. It seems there are some equestrian holidays in Spain and Portugal. Have any of you bought any of these - and if so, how did you get on?

I won't be riding myself. Unless I have to. In which case I'd like one of those miniature pony-type things. I'm not so keen going quickly on something with no brakes.

TIA
    Last edited by AlphaOmega; 10th October 2021 at 16:00.

Never been on a horse myself, except maybe on a fair when little, but when on Iceland we did a mtn-taxi tour we picked up a French couple on a horse farm. They were new to riding and were very positive and I believe Icelandic hoses are calm and suitable for beginners/learners. I believe the woman who helps with our economy stuff at work have been too, I can ask next time she's in if your interested.
    Less likely to be combined with beach and bathing than Spain but on the other hand while kids are riding ..

I suggest you start filing for bankruptcy immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Never been on a horse myself, except maybe on a fair when little, but when on Iceland we did a mtn-taxi tour we picked up a French couple on a horse farm.
    Hadn't thought of going North - that's a very interesting idea. Thanks. I'll do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    I suggest you start filing for bankruptcy immediately!
    Ah, noted. Perhaps pony trekking would be a better idea!

Loads of that kind of thing in Colombia, in amazing Andean scenery. You'd need a smattering of Spanish and a fairly relaxed attitude towards Health and Safety. It's a great way to connect with your inner gaucho.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

The kids do it all the time in France. Or used to anyway. We just find a local stable and book. Sometimes they’ll do a whole lesson or other times go for a hack in the forest, while we get a nice walk. It’s always been very relaxed. Over here you have to fill in forms and make declarations of liability. Over there you just turn up

The boy goes riding every week with the RDA so he’s more than proficient, and daughter has had a few lessons so knows the basics. Just find your local riding centre and book some lessons. You don’t necessarily have to book a whole course.

Riding’s not something I’ve ever been keen on, but I have learned to appreciate horses. I was entirely ambivalent about them previously but seeing how they are with the disabled children made me change my mind.

I’m not sure about doing a whole horse-riding holiday though. Over two weeks we’ll do 2 or 3 sessions but there’s always other stuff to do on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Loads of that kind of thing in Colombia, in amazing Andean scenery. You'd need a smattering of Spanish and a fairly relaxed attitude towards Health and Safety. It's a great way to connect with your inner gaucho.

Being truthful, the romance of exploring some ancient villages on horseback does appeal. I'm not sure my tolerance for narrow paths is echoed by the others but it sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The kids do it all the time in France. Or used to anyway. We just find a local stable and book. Sometimes they’ll do a whole lesson or other times go for a hack in the forest, while we get a nice walk. It’s always been very relaxed. Over here you have to fill in forms and make declarations of liability. Over there you just turn up

The boy goes riding every week with the RDA so he’s more than proficient, and daughter has had a few lessons so knows the basics. Just find your local riding centre and book some lessons. You don’t necessarily have to book a whole course.

Riding’s not something I’ve ever been keen on, but I have learned to appreciate horses. I was entirely ambivalent about them previously but seeing how they are with the disabled children made me change my mind.

I’m not sure about doing a whole horse-riding holiday though. Over two weeks we’ll do 2 or 3 sessions but there’s always other stuff to do on holiday.
    Perhaps I should reconsider aiming the whole holiday at the riding. Sounds like a much better idea to just go somewhere reasonable as usual and then locate the local stables. Thanks OLT.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Being truthful, the romance of exploring some ancient villages on horseback does appeal. I'm not sure my tolerance for narrow paths is echoed by the others but it sounds amazing.

Perhaps I should reconsider aiming the whole holiday at the riding. Sounds like a much better idea to just go somewhere reasonable as usual and then locate the local stables. Thanks OLT.
    Much, much better for your lower backside, too. Unless you already ride regularly, the first couple of hours will be fine but you will be in no hurry to get back in the saddle in the afternoon… or the next day for that matter.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

^Sound advice.

I never ride really so I can imagine after a few days the attraction might be wearing thin! I was hoping to watch with a beer and a comfy seat.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    ^Sound advice.

I never ride really so I can imagine after a few days the attraction might be wearing thin! I was hoping to watch with a beer and a comfy seat.
    Your legs are the first thing that goes. You discover you have some muscles you didn't even know existed just because they become painful. Then, as your legs give up, your buttocks become the only shock absorber you have. And because it is not what they were designed for, that will hurt too. You will find that walking next to your horse may be slower but much more comfortable. But you'll curse the idea many times before it's over: I've seen it happen more than once, we have friends who own a manage in SW France
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.