closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sky Q your views...is it reliable.

Master

Sky Q your views...is it reliable.

My oldish Sky HD plus box is on it's way out and the way forward should be replace it with Sky Q.

However my mother who is 76 has Sky Q and nearly every month i have to make a 70 mile round trip because she has a problem with it...disconnecting from broadband...switching off and not rebooting or just randomly rebooting...etc

Sky have been useless.

On reviewing Trustpilot for Sky Q it gets a 1 star review by 86% of people which i thought can't be right.

However on checking other forums it seems that there are numerous problems with it.

I don't have multiroom and there is only myself in the house and i access Netflix and Amazon Prime etc via TV.

Should i just buy a brand new old Sky HD box or bite the bullet.

Honest views welcome.

Mark

IMO sky q is brilliant. Nothing better on the market like for like.
    Get a good deal and away ya go. Enjoy

I only have the one box like you which was replaced a couple of years ago with a sky Q box. I don’t like it as much as the old system - I don’t find it as intuitive and the menu seems over complicated, but I’ve not had any real issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on what you watch you've got to ask is sky actually worth having.

The boxes are a needless hassle, which sky themselves are admitting defeat with.

I've binned it all off. Got TVs running Google TV and all my subscriptions are in one place. On the very odd occasion I want to watch anything exclusive to sky I buy a now TV pass and use the app built in to the TV.

Blog Entries
    Question how many rooms/ TV s are you using if just one then the HD box will do the job we have Q and it has been good like all tech you can get problems especially broadband and we got it as did want to run cabling to the second box andQ being wireless does this.The other thing with Q is that the receiver/ box is owned by Sky not you.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Like RobDad I never found Sky Q as user friendly or intuitive as Sky+. But now I am used to it I find it very good. It has always been very reliable and I think it might have frozen twice in the 18 months I have had it, this was easily solved with my phenomenal IT skills of turning it off and on again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've no experience of Sky but I know my neighbours are bedevilled with problems on Sky Q - probably due to a problem with our estate's communal satellite system rather than Sky Q itself.

But is the future Sky Glass?

eg https://www.whathifi.com/advice/sky-...thout-the-dish

We have three Sky Q boxes, they all freeze and have to be unplugged and restarted about twice a week, it’s a good product when it works, however reliable isn’t the word I would use.

It is a good way of transporting TV around the house, and as someone already said there isn’t anything else out there

Master
    Thanks so far...if i wasn't confused before i am now.

We’ve had Sky Q for about three years now and have never had a single issue. It’s super quick, got a great interface, easy to operate, never disconnects etc. My folks have got Virgin Media and it’s way better than that.

We’ve got Netflix and Prime as well, and my query would be beyond those and terrestrial TV do you really need Sky Q? I have it because of the sports which I wouldn’t want to do without, but if not for the sports then from a cost perspective I’d be looking at regular freeview with Netflix & Prime on the side.

Master
    The main box seems fairly robust, however the secondary boxes are always crashing normally at night when we are trying to watch something in bed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    We’ve had Sky Q for about three years now and have never had a single issue. It’s super quick, got a great interface, easy to operate, never disconnects etc. My folks have got Virgin Media and it’s way better than that.

We’ve got Netflix and Prime as well, and my query would be beyond those and terrestrial TV do you really need Sky Q? I have it because of the sports which I wouldn’t want to do without, but if not for the sports then from a cost perspective I’d be looking at regular freeview with Netflix & Prime on the side.
    I am up for Sky renewal in December and have been thinking just this and taking a Nowtv package for sports part of my disgust with Sky was at the start of lockdown i asked them if because of it i had financial difficulties and could not pay where did i stand the answer was no pay we get the bailiffs in your contracted until Dec 2021

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Like RobDad I never found Sky Q as user friendly or intuitive as Sky+. But now I am used to it I find it very good. It has always been very reliable and I think it might have frozen twice in the 18 months I have had it, this was easily solved with my phenomenal IT skills of turning it off and on again.

Pretty much this. The GUI is rubbish, there's always one option too many to get where to want but it's proved generally reliable.

Craftsman
    1 main Q box and 2 minis, never a problem in years with the main box, the 2 minis very occasionally crash and need testing to get them going again.
    Overall very good.

The latest sky q tv service is called glass I think.
    No box no dish all streams through the tv apparently

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    The latest sky q tv service is called glass I think.
    No box no dish all streams through the tv apparently
    You have to buy a sky glass TV to get it though at the moment. There's also little 'puck' widgets for other rooms, but they're not doing those without the glass TV at the moment.

I've had Q for a couple of years, used to get a lot of mini box drop outs and main box losing WiFi connection, but since changing from Three to Vodafone for our 4G internet, even using the same Three router, all problems have disappeared.

Master
    Thanks for the replies...going to stick with a new Sky HD box i have managed to obtain.

Blog Entries
    Question to those who have got rid of Sky what do you use to record programmes on?

As I understand sky q will be scrapped as they move to a pure steaming service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk