closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Heuer pre carrera, advice/model identification and info please?

Vintage Heuer pre carrera, advice/model identification and info please?

Hi all, a friend of mine has this watch and he doesn’t know much about it. I know very little about them so thought I would ask the more knowledgeable on here. Any info about age/model number or value please would be gratefully received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like a 7723, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been redialled.

Have a look at On the Dash and '60s Chronographs

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    It looks like a 7723, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's been redialled.

Have a look at On the Dash and '60s Chronographs
    Thanks ed, what makes you think the dial is a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    Thanks ed, what makes you think the dial is a replacement?

Not a replacement, redialled (touched-up/repainted).

Just looks a bit 'off' to me, although could be the picture and comparing it to the one on OTD, it doesn't have the 'T' above Swiss. Although either of those don't mean it's not original!

http://www.onthedash.com/chronograph/reference-7723/

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Not a replacement, redialled (touched-up/repainted).

Just looks a bit 'off' to me, although could be the picture and comparing it to the one on OTD, it doesn't have the 'T' above Swiss. Although either of those don't mean it's not original!
    Thanks again that’s really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kibrisjason View Post
    Thanks again that’s really helpful.

7723 is a good shout, but the lack of a T is not normally cause for alarm as the early Carreras also didn’t have a T (as they used radium lume). I would guess the transition to tritium was around 63/64, so actually it is a bit strange as I think the Valjoux 7730 first appeared around 1966. I just googled for the ref 7723 and with an image search you can find other 7723s without the T that don’t appear redialled, so I strongly vote for an original dial. Perhaps the rehaut on the crystal is missing ? Better photos would help.

Wasn’t there a period when T and non-T dials were fitted concurrently depending on the destination of the watch and regulations in force at that time in the that market?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Wasn’t there a period when T and non-T dials were fitted concurrently depending on the destination of the watch and regulations in force at that time in the that market?

There was an idea that different regions had different rules on identifying Tritium lume on dials, but I’ve measured four or five non-T Heuer dials on Carreras and all had radium lume. I think the regional thing was started in the linked Hodinkee article. Anyway, at least for the Carrera, I’m pretty sure it’s just:

non-T. = Radium
    T = Tritium

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/un...heuer-carreras

Master
    These are a bit of a minefield as the same (chromed??)case was used by a number of brands (Zodiac, Clebar, Tradition etc) some possibly assembled by Heuer alongside the Carrera, and now known as ‘poor man’s’ Carreras. There’s an obvious, perceived uplift in value by swapping the dial. Check out the movement and inside the caseback. I would be expecting both to be signed Heuer.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    These are a bit of a minefield as the same (chromed??)case was used by a number of brands (Zodiac, Clebar, Tradition etc) some possibly assembled by Heuer alongside the Carrera, and now known as ‘poor man’s’ Carreras. There’s an obvious, perceived uplift in value by swapping the dial. Check out the movement and inside the caseback. I would be expecting both to be signed Heuer.
    That’s great info many thanks.