closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn moisture capsule questions

Craftsman

Sinn moisture capsule questions

Hi folks,
    I’m looking at a secondhand Sinn 856 where re moisture capsule has started to turn blue. Is it at big deal? Would it put you off buying the watch? Are they hard to get replaced?
    Cheers,
    Mick

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Hi folks,
    I’m looking at a secondhand Sinn 856 where re moisture capsule has started to turn blue. Is it at big deal? Would it put you off buying the watch? Are they hard to get replaced?
    Cheers,
    Mick
    Depends what shade of blue, light blue isn’t a problem, dark isn’t a problem as such just means moisture has got into the watch (how do you know it hasn’t in other watches etc)

It wouldn’t put me off, to replace it will need a service as they extract it all and seal it back up

Master
    Hi folks,
    Cheers,
    Mick
    They are a straightforward screw-in/screw-out replacement at service. Sitting here wearing my 857 with the capsule. 2 1/2 years from purchase and no perceptible colour change.

That it has started to turn blue may mean it needs a service anyway? Do you know how long it is since the last service or purchase?

The service agent in the UK is TWR. Really helpful people. I am sure they would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Thanks i wonder who it is in Ireland?

Grand Master
    I assume the capsule contains anhydrous copper sulphate, a white solid that turns to blue as it absorbs moisture and hydrates.

In principle its a good idea, it will give an indication that the watch is no longer watertight, but what happens when the caseback is removed for the watch to be regulated?.........I’ll let you all work that one out!

Craftsman
    Here’s the capsule on the watch I’m looking at

html image link

Sinn moisture capsule questions

Like mentioned above, it shouldn’t put you off at all. More importantly how is the time keeping and when was it last serviced (or how old is the watch)?

As mentioned above, you can send that to TWR in the UK, they are excellent to deal with and are Sinns authorised repairer here.

Here is the capsule colour chart, as I say though it is more important is how the time keeping is for me.

Last edited by Gavbaz; 11th October 2021 at 16:58.

Craftsman
    Only 2 year old watch. Time meeting fine according to seller

Only 2 year old watch. Time meeting fine according to seller
    Go for it. The capsule from that photo looks light blue either way. Great watch!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I assume the capsule contains anhydrous copper sulphate, a white solid that turns to blue as it absorbs moisture and hydrates.

In principle its a good idea, it will give an indication that the watch is no longer watertight, but what happens when the caseback is removed for the watch to be regulated?.........I’ll let you all work that one out!
    Unless it's seen to suddenly becomes dark blue, think it's pretty pointless TBH. Seals are permeable to water vapour to a certain extent and the capsule will gradually become a darker blue over time.

I wouldn't worry about the Op's one.

What an ingenious thing! I've only been aware of the vintage Blancpain? Tornek-Rayville? humidity ingression dial indicators, not any modern applications, well done Sinn!