closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New watch! Black Bay 58

Master

New watch! Black Bay 58

After a very short wait of maybe a week after asking for one my AD got me the BB58 black dial.
    I spent a long time once I was there trying it on along with the blue dial version. I liked both and it was very difficult to decide. Ultimately I think I would have been happy with either but decided on the black.

I think I'll pick up a nice leather strap for it too. If you have a BB58 on leather feel free to add a pic or recommend me a strap.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Absolutely awesome watch. Congrats. I had the BB58 blue and miss it terribly. Super accurate too. I'd be leaving it on bracelet though. Enjoy!

Looks well. What sort of discount are these getting at ADs currently, if you do t mind my asking?

Master
    For me nothing. I asked but was told the bb58 and the GMT were full retail only.

Master
    Sorry to take a contrary view but I don't really think 39mm is sufficient for a dive watch. Nicely looker on its own in photos, but small on the wrist on most people. Got to be a limited market ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by kk View Post
    Sorry to take a contrary view but I don't really think 39mm is sufficient for a dive watch. Nicely looker on its own in photos, but small on the wrist on most people. Got to be a limited market ultimately.
    I disagree. It will suit most wrists. I have 18cm wrists (larger than the UK average) and the watch has perfect dimensions for me.

Its a beautiful watch, congratulations.

One of my young colleagues let me test drive his new BB58 Black this week, and I thought it was ace. I'm currently wearing my Sinn U1 which is my diversification diver, wondering if I should swap it for a BB58. Whatever colour, they are a very compelling choice.

Enjoy it, but best on the bracelet, as nearly all Rolex / Tudor sports are.

Dave

Sent from my Google Pixelbook Go using Tapatalk
    Last edited by helidoc; 7th October 2021 at 23:04.

Master
    Don't be sorry we don't all have to like the same things. I find 38mm to 42mm is the range I tend to like for my watches. Luckily whatever you want there's probably a company making watch that suits, so much choice.
    I don't think tudor have had any issues selling them and I've not seen a black dial at any AD near me that's been available to buy.

Not sure about it being a limited market for the BB58 as it’s probably Tudor’s best-selling model in the current range.

Ultimately it’s up to you which size you think suits you best. Not all wrists and tastes are the same.

Wasn’t the original submariner 6204 (one of the first dive watches) 37mm?

Craftsman
    Don't be sorry, just be prepared to accept you are wrong. Of course all in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by namzo

Wasn’t the original submariner 6204 (one of the first dive watches) 37mm?
    Maybe so but 37mm would be a comedy / boys size for a dive watch these days.

Maybe so but 37mm would be a comedy / boys size for a dive watch these days.
    All in your opinion of course.

Master
    Terrific, Would be an ideal size for me.

Craftsman
    Love mine, would be even better if the case diameter was 38mm, would look amazing on my 7.25 inch wrist in similar keeping to my Yema Pearldiver.

Love mine. Goes well on leather but I am more of a bracelet man.

Here is a leather that fellow tzer Pav79 (Neptune straps) made for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Enjoy it, but best on the bracelet, as nearly all Rolex / Tudor sports are.
    When I had one I took it off the bracelet the day I got it and it never went back on - I found it to be one of those watches, a bit like the speedy pro, that suits all manner of straps.

I'd be tempted to buy another one, as I'm guessing by now someone's produced a bracelet for these without the faux rivets?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Love mine. Goes well on leather but I am more of a bracelet man.

Here is a leather that fellow tzer Pav79 (Neptune straps) made for me.

That looks great, exactly the sort of design I'm looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    That looks great, exactly the sort of design I'm looking at.

Send Pav a PM Rob. He will sort something for you. All hand made.

He is on Instagram if you frequent that too - Neptune straps. He’s a top bloke to deal with.

+1 for Pav. Had a leather strap made when I had a BB41 and it was great.

They really are great value at the price point. I bought the blue and was impressed with the quality, so much so I bought another.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    They really are great value at the price point. I bought the blue and was impressed with the quality, so much so I bought another.
    I have also ended up with two 58s and find them superb. They are a perfect fit on my 7.25" wrist and wear very much like the old style Submariners. I'm guessing the OP will be very pleased with his purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Would be interested to hear how the silver version compares with the BB58 blue, particularly when on a strap nato.

Is there any difference in the appearance of the metal?
    Does it pick up marks more easily?
    Does it wear thicker with the display back?

A work colleague bought one a couple of weeks ago so I was able to try it on when we met in the office. It's a very fine watch, the photos don't do it justice. The sizing, styling, finish and colouring all work very well together, it also suits a wide variety of strap options, dressing the watch up and down as appropriate.

Nice pick-up OP.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

It is a lovely watch. I got one two weeks ago after an email from my AD (well timed) said they had stock just two days before I planned to walk in and look at one. Walked out with a 10% discount on the black one. Can’t fault it at all. After all the online reviews I was pretty sure with covered all bases for me. It’s got a nice weight. Yes in an ideal world I’d probably prefer no snowflake hands or faux rivets, but I love it. I’ve even enquired about the Harrod’s green one. Just love the colour way. My wrists are slim so it fits well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SCH74 View Post
    It is a lovely watch. I got one two weeks ago after an email from my AD (well timed) said they had stock just two days before I planned to walk in and look at one. Walked out with a 10% discount on the black one. Can’t fault it at all. After all the online reviews I was pretty sure with covered all bases for me. It’s got a nice weight. Yes in an ideal world I’d probably prefer no snowflake hands or faux rivets, but I love it. I’ve even enquired about the Harrod’s green one. Just love the colour way. My wrists are slim so it fits well for me.

Interesting that you managed to get a discount. I did ask but my AD had zero interest. I hadn't ever seen one in store so I believed him when he said they sell straight away so they weren't offering discounts. I might have had more luck if I'd gone blue as they seem to be more easily available (the AD had 2 on display).
    I like the harrods colourway too but prefered the smaller case of the 58.

The Harrods was a 58 I thought. I might have to check that.

The Harrods was a 58 I thought. I might have to check that.

Well you learn something new everyday. The Harrods is a 41.

Craftsman
    Beautiful watch congratulations.

Personally I think you made the right choice with the black dial as I feel it would be match a larger selection of outfits.

Best of luck with it

Master
    Congrats on your watch. It’s one of the best bang for buck watch on the market (along with the Hamilton Khaki Mechanical) IMO. It’s a true strap monster but my favourite combo off the bracelet is with the JPM Italian vintage leather strap with tonal stitch in distressed brown from WO. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Would be interested to hear how the silver version compares with the BB58 blue, particularly when on a strap nato.

I tried the silver one on at a recent watch meetup & was impressed by it. Metal does indeed look & feel different, and the overall effect is actually lovely. Caseback felt a bit underwhelming/pointless, and I can't comment on durability, but in terms of aesthetics it was an unexpectedly beautiful twist on the standard BB & I really liked it.

Master
    Not seen the silver 58 in the flesh but thought it looked great in the photos. I did read a few reviews where it had tarnished very quickly and quite badly. I dont know how much of an issue that is or if those buyers were just unlucky.

Not seen the silver 58 in the flesh but thought it looked great in the photos. I did read a few reviews where it had tarnished very quickly and quite badly. I dont know how much of an issue that is or if those buyers were just unlucky.

I think they all tarnish. Used ones for sale, usually have tarnishing unless they've never been worn.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Master
    Nice choice! Unfortunately I only get to choose between having the outline of the clasp stamped into my wrist or loose and jangly……Definitely a watch best on NATOs ad the bracelet is really unacceptable at this price point.

Journeyman
    I think that the popularity of the Black Bay 58 is because it is the perfect size for most and even a tad too large for those of us with wrists like drinking straws, bring back 36 mm please, no one has wrists big enough for the 43-46 mm wrist clocks that are for sale

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    When I had one I took it off the bracelet the day I got it and it never went back on - I found it to be one of those watches, a bit like the speedy pro, that suits all manner of straps.

I'd be tempted to buy another one, as I'm guessing by now someone's produced a bracelet for these without the faux rivets?
    I really hope something gets done about the bracelet. I'm not sure if its irrational or not, but those faux rivets really irk me. I was close to biting the bullet on the BB GMT in Westfield today but the bracelet stopped me. If it had flat edges, I'd have snapped it up.

Lovely watch, nice one

Master
    I know the rivets divide opinion but I've found once on you can't really see them.

I know the rivets divide opinion but I've found once on you can't really see them.

Agreed. I don't mind them but on wrist they are invisible.

That is true. When I saw it in the window and tried it on, I loved the way it looked and felt. Its only looking back on enhanced pictures that they stand out.

Think we can all agree the Black Bay is a beautiful looker. Might have to pay htem another visit...

My two favourite watches always have the same negatives rolled out on any thread related to them:

Longines Legend Diver - lug to lug too long
    BB58 - rivets

Personally, I think both are perfect!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post

Personally, I think both are perfect!
    Really that's the only thing that matters

Master
    Blog Entries
    The rivet reservations are not a factor in the flesh. I didn’t like them when viewing photos of the watch but I don’t notice them when I wear the watch.

Craftsman
    I have to agree, I personally don't mind the faux rivets and once the watch is on the wrist you do not see them at all.

My Oris Diver 65 also has faux rivets on the bracelet, same with this piece, you don't see the them when on the wrist, however you do notice the dramatic taper from 20mm down to 14mm though.

Quote Originally Posted by Planet Ocean View Post
    I have to agree, I personally don't mind the faux rivets and once the watch is on the wrist you do not see them at all.

My Oris Diver 65 also has faux rivets on the bracelet, same with this piece, you don't see the them when on the wrist, however you do notice the dramatic taper from 20mm down to 14mm though.
    One thing I have really come to like about my watches and straps is a 4mm taper. My LLD is wearing a 22/18 and the BB58 is 20/16 I believe - it has such a dramatic affect on the perception of the size of the watch, more so than the dimensions of the case I think (after all, you most often see it from the side). I recently fitted a 22mm NATO to the LLD and it felt like a wrist cuff in comparison.

Just another nice feature of the BB58 bracelet, and I'm lucky that the sizing is perfect leaving me one micro adjust either side (although I may pick up a half link to protect me in the future as I start to wither away and shrink!

Journeyman
    Awesome watch, congrats ! I've had the Harrods on nato since day one, but now that I just picked up the gold 58, on nato, I think I'll change the harrods to the steel strap. Might look weird as it's my daily beater, and has marks everywhere while the bracelet is still new hahaha, let's see !

I love the combo 58 / black bay 41 because when you wear fitted shirts or cufflinks, the 41 is too big, 58 fits perfectly underneath !

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post

The silver does look brighter compared to the blue. I’ve only worn it a handful of times and so far no marks on it. A few YouTube videos have commented on the silver developing a yellow patina, mine still looks the same.

In all honesty, there is no difference to the thickness once on the wrist- however this may be due to the NATO which sits closer to the wrist.

I’ll post some comparison pictures.

Craftsman
    I spend quite a lot of time struggling to choose between the BB58 & the regular BB. Appreciate the size of the 58 works for most, but it looks a bit dinky on my wrist.

I’ve tried on the 58 and the regular BB and was a bit underwhelmed tbh. I have large wrists - for example I need all the links on a sports Rolex bracelet to get the watch over my hand - but still thought the regular BB looked awkward and slab sided on my wrist, just too too too heavy for something which looked so elegant viewed straight on. By contrast the 58 definitely wears slimmer but not massively smaller on the wrist, the size certainly suits the more retro character of the watch. I really think the perception of a watch being too small or too big can be overcome if you wear and appreciate a selection of different sized models. If you want a classy and unobtrusive watch to wear forever I’m sure the 58 will be just the ticket for many, in contrast the case of the regular BB is a bit challenging imho and ruins an otherwise attractive piece.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’ve tried on the 58 and the regular BB and was a bit underwhelmed tbh. I have large wrists - for example I need all the links on a sports Rolex bracelet to get the watch over my hand - but still thought the regular BB looked awkward and slab sided on my wrist, just too too too heavy for something which looked so elegant viewed straight on. By contrast the 58 definitely wears slimmer but not massively smaller on the wrist, the size certainly suits the more retro character of the watch. I really think the perception of a watch being too small or too big can be overcome if you wear and appreciate a selection of different sized models. If you want a classy and unobtrusive watch to wear forever I’m sure the 58 will be just the ticket for many, in contrast the case of the regular BB is a bit challenging imho and ruins an otherwise attractive piece.

I agree, regardless of wrist size, watches need to be tried on for feel and fit.

My favourite two watches worn in regular rotation, are a Maurice lacroix masterpiece which is 43mm and the Tudor BB58, which is 39mm.

When switching between the two, the ML never feels too big and the BB58 never feels nor looks small, yet both could be deemed 'unwearable' if the decision is based solely upon the manufacturer's stated dimensions, rather than feel on the wrist.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    for me 39mm to 41mm is the sweet spot for most wrists, most classic dive watches were made at the 40mm size so at 39mm the BB58 is not exactly small, i slightly prefer the blue over the black but i think tudor have really nailed it with the BB58 and much prefer it over the 40mm classic black bay