closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CWC G10 Fatboy-80 Reissue

Master

CWC G10 Fatboy-80 Reissue

I received the CWC newsletter this evening. They have released a Fatboy reissue. Probably not for me but I thought others might be interested.

https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cw...atboy-80-watch

Just seen this
    Not for me, the price of an original and the likely cost of the reissue does. It make much sense to me.

Master
    They look good to me. I'd definitely consider one.

Always thought they'd do one of these, especially since the Mellor. I think they've done a great job on them, nice way to get the beautiful looks of the original fatboy without the long term reliability concerns.

Probably my favourite case design of all time, think I'm content with my original though.

Weight : 50g (62g with strap).
    Dimensions: 43mm lug to lug, diameter 38mm (including crown), depth 11mm approx, lug width 18.5mm.

Hang on, is that not more medium fatboy territory, the 1980/'81 fatboys were 13mm thick.

That would be a close but not quite close enough for me. The thickness of the case is a large part of the charm. Still for most folk they're still a great looking watch.

Craftsman
    Among all the other 'misses', hands, case depth, crown protectors etc the shiny lume is not very attractive imo.

It will be interesting to see if this has further inflationary effect on the originals.

Craftsman
    CWC reissues always seem to be priced on the high side. When i sat this one I couldn't see a side view on the website. The lower height would explain that I guess. I wonder how much they will charge for the upcoming 6bb reissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxsash View Post
    CWC reissues always seem to be priced on the high side. When i sat this one I couldn't see a side view on the website. The lower height would explain that I guess. I wonder how much they will charge for the upcoming 6bb reissue.
    Looking at the pics I think they've got the main case right, but used a slimmer back and that's where the 2mm had been lost.

I guess most folk will never even notice this, but personally I feel it would have been far better keeping it's original depth. Seems wrong to call it a Fatboy if it isn't even as thick as a medium Fatboy, but hey there are plenty of heritage models of there that are far less faithful to their originals, often with much larger cases or added date complications etc. so I'm probably bring picky.

I actually prefer the lower profile crown protectors

Just seen my first video of the '80 reissue. Blows my theory of the slimmer caseback. All looks correct dimensions wise and I'm wondering now if they made a mistake on their site with the 13mm. Crown guards look about right too imo.

https://youtu.be/tffiaXr3ksI

I actually think they've done a great job here, far more faithful than the vast majority of so called reissue watches out there.

I've never been the biggest fan of the glossy finish to the luminova like but I do love the tint.

If I didn't have an original already which is one of the few keepers in my collection, I'd happily but one tbh.

Is it a bit pricey? Well yes but it is what it is. It does make the GS Sapphire which must be their only model to have never seen a price increase over several years, seem superb value for money in comparison.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 17th October 2021 at 10:27.

Thanks for the link.

First watch that I have seen this year that has tempted me to break my current abstinence from flipping.

I am seriously considering it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Is it a bit pricey? Well yes but it is what it is. It does make the GS Sapphire which must be their only model to have never seen a price increase over several years, seem superb value for money in comparison.
    Yes, I noticed that. Funnily enough - I've wanted a GS Sapphire for a while, and I see they have them back in stock. Whilst, I completely accept that the GS has drifted from the 'original' G10 watch, I welcome the extra WR and sapphire crystal.

I know the price/value (for what is a very basic piece) of these watches have been discussed before on TZ but I still struggle to part with my cash for this one....................

..............but I do rather like them! Maybe I might try one : )

I have a GS and really like it, I just see it as a modern interpretation of the G10. I like my '80 Fatboy the most but love the convenience of the GS, with the sapphire, screw down crown and 200m wr makes a great holiday watch.

Craftsman
    but love the convenience of the GS, with the sapphire, screw down crown and 200m wr makes a great holiday watch.
    Good to hear! That's exactly what I have in mind, a 'holiday watch'. It wears smaller than the divers watch which I currently use. Nice as a 'divers' is, I find I spend most of the day clunking it on doorways and generally getting in the way of my everyday activities whereas a G10 wouldn't. Maybe I'm just clumsy!

Apologies to the OP for taking the post OT!

Simultaneously spotted this thread and the CWC on their website. Does look good, although for the price you’d want the details to be as accurate as possible. The Mellor-72 was a great little watch - certainly had the vintage vibe going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone bought one of these yet?

I am thinking that it may be the one that beaks my current lengthy abstinence from new watch purchases......

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

I am thinking that it may be the one that beaks my current lengthy abstinence from new watch purchases......

I’ll be honest, I go to the website and frequently look at them, I just feel that it’s a bit more than I want to pay for, what essentially would be a “beater” watch (not that I necessarily think they are overpriced)

Stick to your one watch policy - it’s inspirational!

The T20 is superb and it has been a lovely period of calm.

However the urge for something different is creeping back!

Probably just as well that Eddies isnt releasing more plexi versions of his 36mm models!

The T20 is superb and it has been a lovely period of calm.

However the urge for something different is creeping back!

Probably just as well that Eddies isnt releasing more plexi versions of his 36mm models!
    Haha - yes they would be very tempting!

I’ve got to admit I may have bought something that truly fits the one-watch policy - and it’s one of Eddie’s….

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post

I’ve got to admit I may have bought something that truly fits the one-watch policy - and it’s one of Eddie’s….
    Which one? Do tell!

Which one? Do tell!

Full review to follow!

I was thinking the same thing just the other day!

Though with a black dial.

In photos the milky ring doesnt look quite so pronounced as with other models.

The black dial version is fantastic, but the cream dial takes it up a whole notch in my opinion. The finishing on the hands is just superb. And the milky ring effect is even less pronounced than the black dial version (which in itself is noticeably better than the Everest’s etc).

The case finishing and overall quality of the Navigators is even higher than the other watches Eddie sells, and I would genuinely say in the same territory as some far far more expensive watches.

As I say, full review to follow, but this one is truly a special watch.

Have you ever owned a Fatboy? I can't remember. If not then you should go for it. I've been saying it for years but imho the CWC G10 Fatboy is my favourite watch design of all time, never get tired of it.

Have you ever owned a Fatboy? I can't remember. If not then you should go for it. I've been saying it for years but imho the CWC G10 Fatboy is my favourite watch design of all time, never get tired of it.
    Yes, two.

The case dimensions are spot on IMO

My son ordered a reissue Fatboy today. It will be interesting to compare with my originals from 1980.
    We both like the originals but this new watch removes the worry about reliability, especially as the original circuit boards are very hard to source now.
    After having a 1982 Precista G10 fatboy fully restored with a new circuit board this summer, I feel confident to use it every day. Good robust looking lume in the hands too.

Will be very interesting to see how they compare

Yes, looking forward to hearing about this

I’ve spent another day looking at these again, it does look like a really nice interpretation.

The watch arrived today but I only had a brief look as my son was in a rush.
    Initial thoughts are good, it just looks like a fresh version of my originals from 1980. Very closely matching. The tension ring did seem a bit more shiny than the originals but this matches my newly restored Precista that had a genuine CWC plexi fitted rather than the replacement I fitted from Cousins where I retained the original matt tension ring. He did say that he could feel a date position as he pulled out the crown and as he rotated the hands he heard the click as the date changed. Please remember that this is 2nd hand information but I should be able to check this at the weekend.
    However, could this mean that there could be a reissue Navigator in the future?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    He did say that he could feel a date position as he pulled out the crown and as he rotated the hands he heard the click as the date changed. Please remember that this is 2nd hand information but I should be able to check this at the weekend.
    However, could this mean that there could be a reissue Navigator in the future?
    The ETA F06 has a date function: https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-f06-115/

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The ETA F06 has a date function: https://calibercorner.com/eta-caliber-f06-115/
    Thanks, that has confirmed it then!

Picked one of these up from the sales section….

What a great watch. The case finishing is absolutely top notch. Wears really well. Completely utilitarian design, exactly what you want from a military reissue.

Master
    That looks really good. I do like the smaller crown guards.

Craftsman
    Looks lovely that's what I'm aiming for next

Thanks guys - I’m really falling for this piece.

Im pretty certain that this is going to my next buy.

Im pretty certain that this is going to my next buy.
    Highly recommend. Your T20 (and downsizing story) inspired the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Highly recommend. Your T20 (and downsizing story) inspired the purchase.

Think I will hang on to the T20 anyway. Its a great piece.

Buy them all now before the dreaded sapphire crystal revolution swallows them up!

Buy them all now before the dreaded sapphire crystal revolution swallows them up!
    Definitely - there is room for both. The T20 has a perfect 70’s vibe, this one has the 80’s look.

CWC are keeping the plexi dream alive magnificently.

Master

I don't think that will happen. They already have the sapphire GS and given that it is their only model that hasn't had a price increase in some time, it probably isn't selling that well.

I don't think that will happen. They already have the sapphire GS and given that it is their only model that hasn't had a price increase in some time, it probably isn't selling that well.
    That’s a good point. Long may CWC continue to produce these accurate reproductions.

They already have the sapphire GS and given that it is their only model that hasn't had a price increase in some time, it probably isn't selling that well.
    I'll buy one if they do it in black PVD again.

I appreciate the look of acrylic but, my goodness, the scratches mess with my head.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post

I appreciate the look of acrylic but, my goodness, the scratches mess with my head.
    CWC must have heard you. I received their Newsletter today and the PVD version is back in stock. https://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cw..._source=seguno

CWC must have heard you. I received their Newsletter today and the PVD version is back in stock.
    Good news! I hope they still have one once I've finished paying Santa 🤣

Craftsman
    Owned a 2016 example of the PVD Sapphire for a while, however I found the finish more prone to knocks than the SBS divers.

If I bought one again I'd go for the standard stainless finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    Owned a 2016 example of the PVD Sapphire for a while, however I found the finish more prone to knocks than the SBS divers.

If I bought one again I'd go for the standard stainless finish.
    Thank you, that is helpful. 😊

Thank you, that is helpful. 
    Just to counter that a bit, I've owned a PVD one for over a year now and worn it plenty often for knocking about and there isn't a mark on it.

Just to counter that a bit, I've owned a PVD one for over a year now and worn it plenty often for knocking about and there isn't a mark on it.
    Many thanks for the info!

Apologies for the way I seem to have hijacked this thread...