closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used car market

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Watching videos on the model 3 standard range plus. Quite tempting, might go look at them on the weekend. Delivery November.

My wife has a salary sacrifice scheme which is why I'm curious re calculations.

Would hurt me to give that twat Musk money though.
    I hear you on all of the above. As said, the sacrifice scheme was decent, but not perfect.

The November delivery date is more likely to be December. Basically the cars come over in a big boat every quarter and are assigned to buyers while they are on the way, they aren't built to order. The boat may dock in November, but I've been told not to expect it until early December by the sales guy.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My own calculations based on 3 year old value. Many 2nd hand Teslas are more expensive than brand new ones at the moment.

The PCP quote was ~£18-20k over three years, but a Tesla Model 3 isn't going to depreciate that much. I think the PCP schemes are taking advantage of the face there is a 40% tax saving to pad their margin. If you have the cash, it is worth paying cash.
    I was looking at the Tesla loan option. Annoying as I won't have the driveway done until Easter but we've just finished rewiring the house last week and I've got the cable ready in a box at the front of the house.

My trade in is probably worth 27-28k and the max deposit on the Tesla Loan option (basic, no options) is £20,467 with £319pm over 72 months. Tempting. I wonder if the £20k deposit can be paid on AMEX to get points or 1.25% back.

Craftsman
    The Tesla looks great, but insurance class 50?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Put it this way on another thread someone has a nice looking Porsche inbound however the Tesla is faster, more technologically advanced, more practical, more environmentally friendly. It is a better car. And probably £25k cheaper. So I'd say the Model 3 is way underpriced compared to Model S and X and certainly compared to the non 911 Porsches.
    It has downsides though: a) it is extraordinarily ugly; and b) you are giving money to Elon Musk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    It has downsides though: a) it is extraordinarily ugly; and b) you are giving money to Elon Musk
    I could live with b) just but no way i could open my front door every morning and look at a)

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Wow 48 for the standard. My current car is 29.

Any idea what this does to the average premium as in 30% more, 40% more etc. Are the insurance quotes for Tesla's known to be hefty?
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    B is the biggest single downside.

You guys scared me on the insurance.

£800a year for me and the wife, parked on the street. We have protected no claims, but had a car stolen 2 years ago so we're high risk.

That means it's more than twice as much as our Yaris, but a little cheaper than my AMG GLC. Feels about right to me given the price of the car.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I could live with b) just but no way i could open my front door every morning and look at a)
    Agreed
    Tesla's are hideous.

While beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder, you can't see the car when you're inside. I wouldn't want to think that those criticising the look of the car are poseurs, but...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

So for a Tesla Model 3 LR it is costing me £110 a month insurance. 6 years no claims. By comparison the current RR Velar is £115 a month. I got a quote for a Merc EQA at £43 a month.

Even the base level Model 3 is faster than a Cayman so I guess there's the answer in part.

I think the outside of the Model 3 looks better than the inside, it's just an iPad. Adjusting the mirrors and steering wheel looks tedious at best, especially if you want to lower your mirror when parking to make sure you don't ruin your alloys.

Spend £40k on an ICE car and you'll get a way better car but it's a depreciation and overall cost to run game I think. Might go look at them on the weekend.

Grand Master
    Still at least 2-3 years down the line for me, but I’m coming round to the fact that I’ll end up owning an electric vehicle. Like many retired folks we don’t do much mileage and most of our driving is local, recharging would be done from home and we’ve plenty of space for charging points. I’ll probably buy a second- hand one when they become affordable, I can’t justify spending a lot on cars and I can’t drum up enthusiasm for buying an electric car for the pleasure of ownership. Mrs Walker does more driving than me and its all local, an electric car would be OK for her........but the thought of her driving away and forgetting to unplug the charge cable is the picture that comes to mind!

Worrying about range reminds me of running an old mini as a youth, the rank held 5.5 gallons which isn’t much, useable range was around 150 miles and the fuel gauge was crap.

Alternatively, you could buy a tatty old-money Royce and see out the fag-end of the fossil fuel era in style.

What is peoples problem with Musk? I have no strong feelings about him but on the face of it he seems to have done some pretty cool things.

Have I missed something?

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    What is peoples problem with Musk? I have no strong feelings about him but on the face of it he seems to have done some pretty cool things.

Have I missed something?

Ross
    I think because he has done things such as ;

Make fraudulent claims about his company

Fraudulently talk up shitcoins

Called a man a paedophile because he didn't want to use Musk's hastily constructed submarine for the Thai cave rescue

Apparently he is a ruthless bugger ad well at work.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have just purchased outright a new X3 2.0d mild hybrid and plan on keeping it 6 years or so, then it will be let’s see where we are with alternative fuels, I still think long term it will be the Hydrogen fuel cell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    I use a Broker Coast2Coast Cars 9% discount last time I looked - good people I have used them twice before
    Thanks, will have a look.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I have an XC60, last week I had an XC40 loan car as it was getting serviced. The XC60 is noticeably more refined so might be worth considering.
    Interesting, thank you. Last SUV was an X5 so XC60 closer in size but no plans to drive kids around any more. Maybe will try both as Volvo are doing deals on the XC60

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Someone I know bought an Audi S4 Avant last year for £17k, thought they would try their luck with these price rises and got £23k for it, think it was £6k profit in 6 months!

WBaC offered £2700 more for my missus Vauxhall Adam that we bought in the summer of 2020, she loves it so it’s not going anyway unfortunately..
    I bought a 2017 S4 18 months ago from an Audi main dealer. Just had a quick look and Audi approved used have got a 2017 S4 with more miles and lower spec listed for £37k, £8k more than I paid.

Master
    So for a Tesla Model 3 LR it is costing me £110 a month insurance. 6 years no claims. By comparison the current RR Velar is £115 a month. I got a quote for a Merc EQA at £43 a month.

Even the base level Model 3 is faster than a Cayman so I guess there's the answer in part.
    You know it’s bad when you have to quote your insurance costs as a monthly amount 😁

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Interesting times indeed.

Do you guys think increase in demand has now peaked?

Post 63

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    You know it’s bad when you have to quote your insurance costs as a monthly amount 
    Tesla have a few issues with insurance.

Tesla can only be worked on by a handful of body shops in a claim because of the electrical and safety systems, and the small number of agents in the UK, plus nobody manufactures “pattern” parts so they can’t be repaired without paying the manufacturer whatever they ask, they are sometimes stolen “to order” for the parts and because they are worth so much as salvage (for those gold-dust parts) they are easily written off when the cost of a claim is over a certain percentage….

Add to that the lack of spares kept in the UK, each claim has the potential to be a long and draining cost to the insurer….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Tesla have a few issues with insurance.

Tesla can only be worked on by a handful of body shops in a claim because of the electrical and safety systems, and the small number of agents in the UK, plus nobody manufactures “pattern” parts so they can’t be repaired without paying the manufacturer whatever they ask, they are sometimes stolen “to order” for the parts and because they are worth so much as salvage (for those gold-dust parts) they are easily written off when the cost of a claim is over a certain percentage….

Add to that the lack of spares kept in the UK, each claim has the potential to be a long and draining cost to the insurer….
    True, but the Range Rover is even more expensive to insure, monthly

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    but the thought of her driving away and forgetting to unplug the charge cable is the picture that comes to mind.
    Fortunately the cars are smart enough to not allow that to happen!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I sat in an xc40 before I bought my xc60 inscription and the seats were noticeably less comfortable but I didn’t drive it, the xc40s do seem to be very popular by the amount I see driving around though
    I agree, I got an ex demo (800miles) inscription about a year ago and XC40s were the same price. The XC60 is a big car (maybe not for TZUK ;)) so that could put people off I suppose

I think because he has done things such as ;

Make fraudulent claims about his company

Fraudulently talk up shitcoins

Called a man a paedophile because he didn't want to use Musk's hastily constructed submarine for the Thai cave rescue

Apparently he is a ruthless bugger ad well at work.
    Ah right. I shall have to do some more reading on the guy.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Still at least 2-3 years down the line for me, but I’m coming round to the fact that I’ll end up owning an electric vehicle. Like many retired folks we don’t do much mileage and most of our driving is local, recharging would be done from home and we’ve plenty of space for charging points. I’ll probably buy a second- hand one when they become affordable, I can’t justify spending a lot on cars and I can’t drum up enthusiasm for buying an electric car for the pleasure of ownership. Mrs Walker does more driving than me and its all local, an electric car would be OK for her........but the thought of her driving away and forgetting to unplug the charge cable is the picture that comes to mind!

Worrying about range reminds me of running an old mini as a youth, the rank held 5.5 gallons which isn’t much, useable range was around 150 miles and the fuel gauge was crap.
    Thought you would have been into it. When the Model S was released in the UK the most common car the buyers were coming from was a Jaguar XF.

He's done more than his fair share of covid denying too.

He's got very rich from a lot of other people's ideas and somehow manages to convince the world he's a genius.

Master
    The used car market is strange - I bought a 65 reg 2015 BMW M4 from a BMW Dealer last April, have only done around 2,500 miles so mileage is still around 28,000 - it seems to be worth what I paid for it or even more.

I may let it go, but it's just a hassle selling cars these days and maybe it will keep it's value or increase further ..... and it would be difficult to find one as good as this.

I genuinely prefer my E92 335D for general use.

Seems to have been a sharp drop in offered prices from WBAC today. At least on the Velar

Seems to have been a sharp drop in offered prices from WBAC today. At least on the Velar
    Just ran my mustang, down £500, still 3k more than I paid nearly 4 years ago.

Master
    Noticed that
    Mine dropped a grand.

Down £1,120 here

Suspect this is WBAC having a load of stock. Motorway and Wizzle still offering much more.

So in Mar 2019 I bought a new Velar P300 HSE for £62k from the dealer which was around £6k discount. As recently as June this year with 12k miles it was valued by WBAC at £40k. Went up to £49k a month ago. Yesterday £46.2k

Just sold it (pending inspection) with 14k miles on the clock via Motorway for £55k!!!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th October 2021 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by ichaice View Post
    Did you buy it with a loan or cash?
    PCP with £10k deposit at the time but the buying dealer is clearing that

I think I will be keeping my 12 yo V70 for a couple of years longer than originally planned.

Nov our GLC was 19k with WBAC. Last week it was 26,120 and last night it was 25k.

Think I'm going to lump it on a Model 3 and see what happens. Get rid of the old car via Motorway but will decide this weekend.

I cannot see how selling a 2016 diesel to buy a brand new Model 3 is going to cost me approx £13k. Seems like it shouldn't be possible. A 2018 petrol GLC with the same relic of an interior is £38k and I wouldn't pay £10k to make that change.

My main car is a couple of years old and I normally swap it every three. The second hand value has shot up, but the new price has too.

Ominously it also says that due to the chip shortages they are not coming with the LTE modules, so no connectivity. Unless I am reading it wrong, some extras like HUD aren't available at all.

So I won't be changing the main car, a new Tesla is enough.

How much have you paid in total for the car? 62k?
    I've paid 30 months at £585 so £17750 plus the £10k deposit. I'll get £55k back on £44k remaining finance so £11k back. So it has cost me £17k or so across 2.5 years or £560 a month in total which is chicken feed for a brand new high spec Velar

Master
    How good are the Motorway quotes - I've got offers, both cars are in good condition with full service history - tyres are all good etc., etc., - do they reduce the price once they have the car in front of them - has anyone sold to Motorway?

I've paid 30 months at £585 so £17750 plus the £10k deposit. I'll get £55k back on £44k remaining finance so £11k back. So it has cost me £17k or so across 2.5 years or £560 a month in total which is chicken feed for a brand new high spec Velar
    By those figures Ryan, you’ve paid off £8k but it’s cost you £17,750, are you sure your figures are correct?

I would have thought that your remaining finance would be less than £44k.

How much better off in £ would you be if you paid the £62k in cash? 7k lost rather than £17k. Is that correct?
    Correct but I didn't have £62k cash and also the cash deal would have cost more as they discounted more for a PCP deal as it is at 5.9%

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    By those figures Ryan, you’ve paid off £8k but it’s cost you £17,750, are you sure your figures are correct?

I would have thought that your remaining finance would be less than £44k.
    5.9% interest on that though so I guess that's why

Ah edited to add I see they added on £3k GAP insurance to the PCP as well. Cheeky blighters!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th October 2021 at 11:46.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    How good are the Motorway quotes - I've got offers, both cars are in good condition with full service history - tyres are all good etc., etc., - do they reduce the price once they have the car in front of them - has anyone sold to Motorway?
    Have used them twice. Beyond excellent experience. Collection driver turned up 8am. Checked the car and spoke to the buying dealer. 5 mins later money was in my account and I handed over the keys. Was a Disco Sport.
    Son sold his 208 via them and also good price and easy job

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Have used them twice. Beyond excellent experience. Collection driver turned up 8am. Checked the car and spoke to the buying dealer. 5 mins later money was in my account and I handed over the keys. Was a Disco Sport.
    Son sold his 208 via them and also good price and easy job

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    +1 for Motorway here, sold my '13 plate A7 through them a few months ago. Easiest sale process ever and I got more than the initial estimate for my car! Will be using them again to sell my wife's V40 shortly as I have just ordered a Model 3.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agreed
    Tesla's are hideous.
    Yay so I'm not the only one
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think I will be keeping my 12 yo V70 for a couple of years longer than originally planned.
    That's just a 'young un" ours just turned 20.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Agreed
    Tesla's are hideous.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Yay so I'm not the only one

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    That's just a 'young un" ours just turned 20.

Last edited by Saint-Just; 14th October 2021 at 13:49.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Another positive experience with Motorway here. They advertise your car to their participating dealer network who then place bids - won't be sold for less than offered, and often a bit more. The key is to be as transparent as possible, put in as many decent photos as you can etc. If dealers get the full picture than it will attract more bids.