closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Used car market

My 2.5 year old Velar HSE was valued at £40k in Aug 2020. I'm just about to sell it to motorway.com for £51k.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    So the question here is:

Is there any logic is selling my used car for x% more if I end up paying y% more for its replacement?

There any probably no bargains to be had unless you go for a right pill of a car that no-one wants (and which you will struggle to shift)

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Actually you can get a Tesla Model 3 at a bargain lease price and in 1 month delivery time. For some reason Tesla are unloading zillions of model 3s this year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    So the question here is:

Is there any logic is selling my used car for x% more if I end up paying y% more for its replacement?

There any probably no bargains to be had unless you go for a right pill of a car that no-one wants (and which you will struggle to shift)

You have a dilemma make no mistake

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    My 2.5 year old Velar HSE was valued at £40k in Aug 2020. I'm just about to sell it to motorway.com for £51k.
    That’s great for you Ryan, but the punter who buys it 3 years down the line will take a massive hit, me thinks

Master
    I've just got a price back from WBAC for my wife's low mileage 4 year old Discovery Sport and its got us tempted to sell it (but not sure what we'd replace it with).

New car stock for anything desireable seems to be almost Rolex-like unobtanium.

Have second hand and pre-registered prices at main dealers gone up in response to the shortage? I can't imagine for one minute that dealers haven't noticed what's going on and priced their current stocks accordingly.

I bought my Enyaq brand new for just under 34K. Carwow could only source me an ex demonstrator with 3000 miles on the clock for over 3K more.

Master
    Strange times. Bought a Skoda Superb estate 18 months ago. WBAC are offering £750 less than I paid. Used to do c. 22,000 miles a year. Now do 8,000 miles a year. Am thinking of selling and buying an old Lexus (which we've had before) to run for the next couple of years. However, how long will the current situation last? Also, what will it cost me to replace what I have in 2 years time? New car prices generally have increased massively over the last few years... Might be better to stick with what I have (currently at 10,000 miles) and run it until replaced with an EV in say 5 years time...?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    I ordered a q4 etron about 6 weeks ago and was told Feb/march , got an update on Friday say may possibly but still no build slot - so you have time

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I’ve been offered a build week 41 (so next week) with delivery in November for a 40 edition 1 this afternoon. Tempting due to the timing but as it’s not as I’d spec (colour and a couple of options) plus I would prefer a 50 I’ll probably pass. It’s on hold till the morning for me.

Very unexpected that though

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    750 in 11 months is quite bad to me. My last car was losing about £200 a year for 8 years in a row but i did get it in an auction
    Each to their own. The thought of owning a car anything over 3yrs does nothing for me. Same as buying new does nothing for others.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I’ve been offered a build week 41 (so next week) with delivery in November for a 40 edition 1 this afternoon. Tempting due to the timing but as it’s not as I’d spec (colour and a couple of options) plus I would prefer a 50 I’ll probably pass. It’s on hold till the morning for me.

Very unexpected that though
    We ordered a 50 vorstrung?, Will keep our order in

We ordered a 50 vorstrung?, Will keep our order in

Did you get any discount on order? New builds are coming up with a discount on drivethedeal but can imagine no chance of discount on this available one.

Also said options like pan roof and towbar are delaying things significantly and pan roof not being offered on some.

Master
    Porsche market seems to be worse than most at the moment. Occasionally keep an eye on values as I quite fancy another at one point. In 2013, I paid just under £27k for a 2009 987.2 Boxster S PDK with around 35k miles and it is now owned by my Dad and has around 60k miles. Looking on Autotrader today, a comparable example with slightly lower spec and higher miles (though newer) is £23.5k from a private seller so if they make near the asking, that is around £500 per year in depreciation which is about the same as I would expect for a sub £5k runaround in pre COVID times!

Typically, the values of ageing large petrol engined Mercedes (which is what I now have) don't seem to be performing that well so swings and roundabouts I suppose!

I've got it through the work salary sacrifice scheme so tied there, we are paying so little for it that I doubt there's much wriggle room

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Any reason you think that?

)
    Yep. 6 months of rises in the trade + demand rising x manufacturing slowdown due to global shortage of microprocessors = a continuing increase in value.

Mercedes-Benz have completely withdrawn from the Motability scheme for the rest of the year due to limited allocation of cars. Look online and very few of the big leasing companies are offering any deals on Mercedes-Benz except GLE which is still in good supply (built in the US)

BMW have taken everything off the motability scheme except the 1 series

I’m still waiting for my new Mini that I ordered in March for September delivery

Volkswagen UK have no “fresh” allocation for the rest of the year

I have more anecdotal info but it’s more of the same regarding new car stock shortages, driving used values up.

The old motor trade staple of surplus stock and huge discounts to move them has turned on its head and there now seems to be more customers than cars……

I've got it through the work salary sacrifice scheme so tied there, we are paying so little for it that I doubt there's much wriggle room

Ah fair enough. Cheers - and enjoy when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Yep. 6 months of rises in the trade + demand rising x manufacturing slowdown due to global shortage of microprocessors = a continuing increase in value.

Mercedes-Benz have completely withdrawn from the Motability scheme for the rest of the year due to limited allocation of cars. Look online and very few of the big leasing companies are offering any deals on Mercedes-Benz except GLE which is still in good supply (built in the US)

BMW have taken everything off the motability scheme except the 1 series

I’m still waiting for my new Mini that I ordered in March for September delivery

Volkswagen UK have no “fresh” allocation for the rest of the year

I have more anecdotal info but it’s more of the same regarding new car stock shortages, driving used values up.

The old motor trade staple of surplus stock and huge discounts to move them has turned on its head and there now seems to be more customers than cars……
    Fair points - it does seem to tie in with what dealerships are saying too.

It was a bit of a sorry state in the Audi showroom today. One lovely new black edition Q7 but then everything else, used including a 2016 TT!

Master
    We've sold because we think we can manage with one car and we're doing <5k miles pa because we're walking/cycling more. I reckon prices will drop in c18mths but it may be car manufacturers see this as a chance to increase their new prices given everyone is adjusting to a c30% increase in used values.
    I'll still keep an eye out for something interesting though and think I'll be changing our 17 reg for something new/nearly new after Xmas on the basis that might be a good time to get a deal.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 11th October 2021 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Porsche market seems to be worse than most at the moment. Occasionally keep an eye on values as I quite fancy another at one point. In 2013, I paid just under £27k for a 2009 987.2 Boxster S PDK with around 35k miles and it is now owned by my Dad and has around 60k miles. Looking on Autotrader today, a comparable example with slightly lower spec and higher miles (though newer) is £23.5k from a private seller so if they make near the asking, that is around £500 per year in depreciation which is about the same as I would expect for a sub £5k runaround in pre COVID times!

Typically, the values of ageing large petrol engined Mercedes (which is what I now have) don't seem to be performing that well so swings and roundabouts I suppose!
    Someone I know regularly talks with a top sales guy in Porsche and he said new cars are are going crazy, the dealership where he is based normally sells 35 new cars (guess per month) last count for September was 70!

Builders/home improvement trades are solid with work and charging the earth, where the hell is all this money coming from?

Sooner or later there must to be a big correction as the current status is just not sustainable..

I've had a couple of increased offers via Wizzle - in fact, one dealer (current highest) has increased their offer by £1250 since Friday.

I think I'm going to accept - although I found my paperwork yesterday and actually paid £900 more for the car than I'd thought. But as it stands, I paid £44,900 in November 2020 and have been offered £43,750. I thought I'd paid £44,000 but forgot about the service plan and alloy wheel insurance. Never take wheel insurance but they did it half price (£260 IIRC) - and I've used it twice and caught a bloody wheel on Friday so will be using again so has worked out worth it!

My dad did say to me the fact Volvo are trying to buy my car back at such a high price could mean they know something and this has a lot longer to play out.
    Have gone ahead and accepted the offer - now just waiting for the call from the dealership. Same Volvo group have the same model/spec as mine, albeit 2 months older, up for £46,980. So not massive amounts in it for them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Someone I know regularly talks with a top sales guy in Porsche and he said new cars are are going crazy, the dealership where he is based normally sells 35 new cars (guess per month) last count for September was 70!

Builders/home improvement trades are solid with work and charging the earth, where the hell is all this money coming from?

Sooner or later there must to be a big correction as the current status is just not sustainable..
    They might be taking 70 orders but there won't be 70 cars going out as they are coming through at a snails pace due to the semi-conductor problem
    Last edited by Hood; 11th October 2021 at 18:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    They might be taking 70 orders but their wont be 70 cars going out as they are coming through at a snails pace due to the semi-conductor problem
    Yes that’s what I meant 70 orders, certainly not 70 new cars sat waiting for new owners!

Master
    Anyone selling have a look at Cazoo, their price is substantially higher than Arnold Clark and motorway.co.uk for one of our cars (and I wish I'd checked them before selling it! ).
    Last edited by deepreddave; 12th October 2021 at 07:11.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Anyone selling have a look at Cazoo, their price is substantially higher than Arnold Clark and motorway.co.uk for one of our cars (and I wish I'd checked them before selling it! ).
    You're not wrong! I've just checked mine and I'm now quite tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Didn’t you notice? Until recently, lots of people were stuck at home working, without commuting costs or expensive holidays to spend their money on.

Master
    I understand local brickies have all been given 17.5% pay rises recently due to there being a lack of them. Of course this has led to all the builders operating locally doing the same so it's fundamentally a nice pay rise. Who'd have thought years ago that brickies would be earning more than many accountants, solicitors, doctors (£60k+ a year)?
    Last edited by deepreddave; 12th October 2021 at 10:40.

Just nearly fell off my seat with the price for mine. Incredible times.

I understand local brickies have all been given 17.5% pay rises recently due to there being a lack of them. Of course this has led to all the builders operating locally doing the same so it's fundamentally a nice pay. Who'd have thought they years ago that brickies would be earning more than many accountants, solicitors, doctors (£60k+ a year)?
    Deservedly so. Although in my opinion doctors should be on footballers wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment Tesla's seem reasonably priced in comparison to their second hand values and there is a lot of stock.

Second hand Teslas are fetching more than the brand new models.

I just bought one. Our company has a salary sacrifice scheme which basically gives a lease with 40% off, but the second hand values are so strong it was cheaper over 3 years to pay cash and sell later.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Bear in mind if the margin isn't too great, WBAC will reduce the offer for any blemishes etc when they physically inspect it - though the last two cars I sold this was just 50 or so, and they charge a buying fee of 75gbp.
    That's an interesting tactic - they charge you for buying something from you. Must try doing that next time I'm in Tescos! :-)

I bought a Škoda Yeti a couple of weeks ago, from a large retailer (but not a Škoda main dealer). On the day that I bought it, WBAC were offering £595 more for it than I paid. Bizarre.

My mate sold a standard corsa on 9th August to WBAC. They quoted £8600 and paid £8175 after pointing out a few imperfections. He paid £10,300 for the car a few years back.

He ran a quote yesterday just to see - new WBAC quote is £10,000!

I understand local brickies have all been given 17.5% pay rises recently due to there being a lack of them. Of course this has led to all the builders operating locally doing the same so it's fundamentally a nice pay rise. Who'd have thought years ago that brickies would be earning more than many accountants, solicitors, doctors (£60k+ a year)?
    Wasn’t Harry Enfield’s loadsa money character a tradesman in the eighties?

Whenever there’s demand (and it’s massive at the moment), the tradesman can all charge a lot more because people will pay it. The massive increase in materials costs this year had just exacerbated the issue.

Interesting times indeed.

Do you guys think increase in demand has now peaked?

Currently, our GLC is worth £26,130 with WBAC, £26,802 with motorway and £27,125 with Cazoo.

I had a new Skoda Karoq 1st March paid £26,168 after taking a pcp and paying it straight off. Saturday WBAC valuation with 6k on the clock was £28,640 As soon as my wife’s car come back from our eldest boy who has had it on loan since lockdown #1 the Skoda will be going and I will order something new. Probably have to wait 6 months for it but the wife’s car will be fine in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    I had a new Skoda Karoq 1st March paid £26,168 after taking a pcp and paying it straight off. Saturday WBAC valuation with 6k on the clock was £28,640 As soon as my wife’s car come back from our eldest boy who has had it on loan since lockdown #1 the Skoda will be going and I will order something new. Probably have to wait 6 months for it but the wife’s car will be fine in the interim.
    Unless a used car is more expensive than new, won't you have to pay more than the equivalent of £28,640 for your new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Unless a used car is more expensive than new, won't you have to pay more than the equivalent of £28,640 for your new one?
    I will order brand new with a discount probably a Volvo XC40 or BMW X1 as not really enjoying the Skoda.

Master
    I will order brand new with a discount probably a Volvo XC40 or BMW X1 as not really enjoying the Skoda.
    I started looking at the XC 40 today and see the Volvo promos exclude the XC40 and the discount sites don’t show any deals on them. Have you had any joy with a dealer offering discounts ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I started looking at the XC 40 today and see the Volvo promos exclude the XC40 and the discount sites don’t show any deals on them. Have you had any joy with a dealer offering discounts ?
    I use a Broker Coast2Coast Cars 9% discount last time I looked - good people I have used them twice before

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I have an XC60, last week I had an XC40 loan car as it was getting serviced. The XC60 is noticeably more refined so might be worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I have an XC60, last week I had an XC40 loan car as it was getting serviced. The XC60 is noticeably more refined so might be worth considering.
    I have had an XC60 it was a decent car just a bit bigger than I need now.

Just as an aside Volvo Cardiff always gave me an XC90 as a courtesy car which I thought was a nice touch. It certainly endeared me towards them.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    At the moment Tesla's seem reasonably priced in comparison to their second hand values and there is a lot of stock.

Second hand Teslas are fetching more than the brand new models.

I just bought one. Our company has a salary sacrifice scheme which basically gives a lease with 40% off, but the second hand values are so strong it was cheaper over 3 years to pay cash and sell later.
    Is that based on your own calculation or a guaranteed minimum future value on a PCP quote? Model 3?

Master
    Just as an aside Volvo Cardiff always gave me an XC90 as a courtesy car which I thought was a nice touch. It certainly endeared me towards them.
    I’m Bristol based but the Volvo dealership has recently changed so I went to Chippenham after buying a roof box over the Summer. Really helpful then so went back and no complaints, but it was only a first service.

With stock levels the way they are I think I was lucky to get anything.

I really wasn’t impressed with the XC40 but it was a low spec.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Is that based on your own calculation or a guaranteed minimum future value on a PCP quote? Model 3?
    Put it this way on another thread someone has a nice looking Porsche inbound however the Tesla is faster, more technologically advanced, more practical, more environmentally friendly. It is a better car. And probably £25k cheaper. So I'd say the Model 3 is way underpriced compared to Model S and X and certainly compared to the non 911 Porsches.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Put it this way on another thread someone has a nice looking Porsche inbound however the Tesla is faster, more technologically advanced, more practical, more environmentally friendly. It is a better car. And probably £25k cheaper. So I'd say the Model 3 is way underpriced compared to Model S and X and certainly compared to the non 911 Porsches.
    Watching videos on the model 3 standard range plus. Quite tempting, might go look at them on the weekend. Delivery November.

My wife has a salary sacrifice scheme which is why I'm curious re calculations.

Would hurt me to give that twat Musk money though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you go down the X1 path buy yourself some ear defenders, the road noise is horrendous. We had a brand new one in September while they sorted the cocked up purchase of my X3 while it’s a hugely capable car you cannot ignore the noise.

Master
    I’m Bristol based but the Volvo dealership has recently changed so I went to Chippenham after buying a roof box over the Summer. Really helpful then so went back and no complaints, but it was only a first service.

With stock levels the way they are I think I was lucky to get anything.

I really wasn’t impressed with the XC40 but it was a low spec.
    I sat in an xc40 before I bought my xc60 inscription and the seats were noticeably less comfortable but I didn’t drive it, the xc40s do seem to be very popular by the amount I see driving around though

I had an XC40 before my XC60. I actually chose it over the XC60 in 2018 although that was mainly due to a deal and availability of a first edition.

The 60 wins hands down for refinement, quality, driving experience etc but the 40 is a great car. I really enjoyed mine. But the 60 definitely feels like a step up in class (as it should I suppose).

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If you go down the X1 path buy yourself some ear defenders, the road noise is horrendous. We had a brand new one in September while they sorted the cocked up purchase of my X3 while it’s a hugely capable car you cannot ignore the noise.
    Note that thanks

I had an XC40 before my XC60. I actually chose it over the XC60 in 2018 although that was mainly due to a deal and availability of a first edition.

The 60 wins hands down for refinement, quality, driving experience etc but the 40 is a great car. I really enjoyed mine. But the 60 definitely feels like a step up in class (as it should I suppose).
    I liked my XC60 (68 plate) but it was sat on the drive during lockdown on a £500 a month PCP which made no sense and as I could walk away from it with no negative equity it made sense to chop it in. I note what you say about the 40 and I’m not expecting quite the same quality as the 60. It was the same with the 90 when I had it as a courtesy car it always felt a step-up from my 60. I think manufacturers always put a bit more in every time you go up the size range.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    My own calculations based on 3 year old value. Many 2nd hand Teslas are more expensive than brand new ones at the moment.

The PCP quote was ~£18-20k over three years, but a Tesla Model 3 isn't going to depreciate that much. I think the PCP schemes are taking advantage of the face there is a 40% tax saving to pad their margin. If you have the cash, it is worth paying cash.