closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple techie question - messages

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Apple techie question - messages

I have a iphone and iPad and when somebody texts/messages me, the messages also appear on my iPad. Thats a great a feature.

Now, Mrs B4Ws has an iPad but uses a non smart bog standard Nokia mobile.

Is there any way that her text messages can appear on her iPad.

I’m guessing not, but I’m clueless about tech so you never know.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I don’t think so, I think the Apple messages you see on both devices will be IMessages rather than texts, they will be linked via the iCloud preferences. The Nokia can’t be linked to iMessage or cloud.
    Cheers..
    Jase

No, the phone must be Apple.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats what I was thinking Jason.

Although, all my text messages come through on both devices. I’m guessing if i get a text from, say the doctors it gets converted to an iMessage on the phone and pushed to the ipad.

perhaps a cheap iphone is in order for `Mrs B4Ws.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I don’t think so, I think the Apple messages you see on both devices will be IMessages rather than texts, they will be linked via the iCloud preferences. The Nokia can’t be linked to iMessage or cloud.
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thats what I was thinking Jason.

Although, all my text messages come through on both devices. I’m guessing if i get a text from, say the doctors it gets converted to an iMessage on the phone and pushed to the ipad.

perhaps a cheap iphone is in order for `Mrs B4Ws.
    I might be incorrect, but I think SMS and iMessage are two separate types of message. On an iPhone connected to a mobile network, they will both display in Messages. SMS appear as green bubbles, iMessages are blue. On a non-cellular iPad connected to your apple account, only iMessages will show...I don't think there are any SMS to iMessage conversions, your doctors must have pushed that using an apple device. Certainly none of my SMS messages appear on my non-cellular iPad, only my apple watch which is cellular.

Might be wrong though...happy to be corrected!
    Last edited by Christian; 7th October 2021 at 10:21.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I definitely get all messages on my ipad, no matter who sends them. I cant believe every message I receive is sent via an apple device, in fact i know they are not as messages from Mrs B4Ws Nokia appear on my ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I might be incorrect, but I think SMS and iMessage are two separate types of message. On an iPhone connected to a mobile network, they will both display in Messages. SMS appear as green bubbles, iMessages are blue. On a non-cellular iPad connected to your apple account, only iMessages will show...I don't think there are any SMS to iMessage conversions, your doctors must have pushed that using an apple device. Certainly none of my SMS messages appear on my non-cellular iPad, only my apple watch which is cellular.

Might be wrong though...happy to be corrected!
    Cheers,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I definitely get all messages on my ipad, no matter who sends them. I cant believe every message I receive is sent via an apple device, in fact i know they are not as messages from Mrs B4Ws Nokia appear on my ipad.
    I'm not sure how that works. I don't see all the messages that are on my iPhone. Maybe someone can explain!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm not sure how that works. I don't see all the messages that are on my iPhone. Maybe someone can explain!
    Feature called "handoff" I think.

ETA: Nope, not handoff.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208386

Never knew about that...thanks!

I can't remember the exact setting, but I get all messages on all ipads, iphone and macs. Mrs Bert doesn't cos she can't be arsed setting it up right. A quick google will point you in the right direction.

Apple Messages is an app that handles both "normal" SMS and their proprietary iMessage service too.

This was true a year or so ago - as with all things tech things change fast so forgive me if its inaccurate now.

When you send an SMS via Messages, Apple will check the destination number to see if they have devices registered with iCloud, and have configured messages to be received to any/all of those devices. If yes, it'll route it through iMessage. If not, it will arrives as a standard SMS. Routing through iMessage is what allows all devices registered to receive the same message, while only 1 device has a physical SIM.

This is also why you need to deregister a device when you move away from Apple. Lots of cases where you take a SIM from Apple, stick it in an Android, and calls/data work but SMS service is spotty.

You need to activate the message forwarding in your iPhone’s settings.