closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: In Saab heaven this afternoon!

  1. #1
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1

    In Saab heaven this afternoon!

    I wrote previous threads about getting a new classic car after the Porsche 914 left an open space in my garage. I went out to look for nice cars; I've seen a few good ones, I've seen tons of resprayed rot. Crispy as Lays' chips under a fresh coat of paint. Man, I've seen a lot of rubbish over the last few weeks!

    I decided to opt for a non-repainted car. That way the potential rot and rust is still visible - if there's any.

    Over the years, I've owned 2x a Saab 96. And I decided to have a look at a Saab 95, the stationwagon model. I found a few, including a wonderful-looking white 1964 Bullnose 'stroker'. But everybody I told me that owning a two stroke 'stroker' is a source for adventures. "You never know what's going to happen during the trip!" That put me off, leaving the V4s as an alternative.

    Today I went to see my former colleague-and-also-retired friend who was always busy tinkering with Saabs. Like me, he moved to rural areas with tons of space and he has started a Saab Museum next to his workshop where he restores Saabs. Some cars are for sale but some are not. Interesting stuff. I was in Saab heaven this afternoon. Lots of cups of tea, talking about the old days, seated on Saab seats from 99s and 900s. I'm now pulled over to the 95-side: a stationwagon is the way to go. He had a beautiful MY74 one owner car, first paint, never tinkered with. Sadly not for sale. And he had a red MY1970 (or 71) 95; repainted, but with flaws.

    Anyway, three pics to tell the story.





    Last edited by thieuster; 6th October 2021 at 18:11.

  2. #2
    Great pics !!
    I used to have a Black Saab 900 Turbo back in the day. Probably the best car I have ever owned. Properly solid cars with massive bumpers, not like the tinny rubbish these days. Always did th work on it myself because I was about 20 and poor. The Haynes manual was my bible. I remember trying to change brake pads and the first thing the manual said was 'take Saab special tool number ### to rotate the caliper' ?? Needless to say there was a lot of frustration too!
    Great cars and thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by manganr; 6th October 2021 at 18:27.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    544
    Blog Entries
    1
    Always liked Saabs, had 3 in my motoring life, two 900's in the 80's one of which was a Turbo, previous owner Angela Rippon.

    Thanks for sharing great pictures.

  4. #4
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    25,625
    Fabulous photos, we've had three Saabs, and if I ever get around to it I'll have a 5 door 900 classic.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,022
    Not is the same league as these babies, but I had a 93 estate auto, great car once you got used to the delay in the auto box kicking it at a roundabout.

  6. #6
    Master Lammylee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,554
    We had a pale blue 96 in the late 70s, it was quite old then. My Dad always regretted selling it and said it was the best car he had ever owned.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    south of the river..
    Posts
    1,582
    Love that metallic green one !

  8. #8
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Love that metallic green one !
    That's not a metallic green one. It's the dreadful colour 'Verona green'. But now it's properly cleaned and polished! That MY74 is more or less a time machine. Everything is there. It's absolutely period correct. My wife who's not into cars at all said the same thing you did. That Verona green car caught her eye.

    What's more: that roof rack is worth a fortune among Saab afficionados. It's an original Saab part and it's the type of rack that's especially made for the 95: it has 3 cross bars instead of the 96's 2 bars version. Nerd-modus on: the MY74 is easy to recognize: it has the latest version of the grill: the plastic grill and rubber patches on the chrome bumpers. The headlight wipers were factory fitted for only a few years. It was halted in 76 and the wipers returned in 77. Apart from the quirkiness, it's a problematic and complicated device with arms, pieces of string (yes) and then: the wiper motor is on the inside of the front panel just under the LH headlight. All failed within weeks after installing: rain, salt, mud... that motor couldn't cope with that.

    I found a complete set for my MY76 in Sweden during my summer holiday. I installed it, found the correct wiring loom and before the winter was over, the whole contraption had failed...
    Last edited by thieuster; 6th October 2021 at 21:17.

  9. #9
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,722
    Blog Entries
    1
    Beautiful cars. I had a Saab93 turbo convertible in 2007. Great car and yes it was based on a Vauxhall. Such a shame the company went under as really loved their cars

    Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Warwick
    Posts
    181
    Fabulous! A good friend of mine has recently acquired a 99 Turbo with only 1 previous owner. Stunning car in burnt orange with red velour interior.

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    south of the river..
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's not a metallic green one. It's the dreadful colour 'Verona green'. But now it's properly cleaned and polished! That MY74 is more or less a time machine. Everything is there. It's absolutely period correct. My wife who's not into cars at all said the same thing you did. That Verona green car caught her eye.

    What's more: that roof rack is worth a fortune among Saab afficionados. It's an original Saab part and it's the type of rack that's especially made for the 95: it has 3 cross bars instead of the 96's 2 bars version. Nerd-modus on: the MY74 is easy to recognize: it has the latest version of the grill: the plastic grill and rubber patches on the chrome bumpers. The headlight wipers were factory fitted for only a few years. It was halted in 76 and the wipers returned in 77. Apart from the quirkiness, it's a problematic and complicated device with arms, pieces of string (yes) and then: the wiper motor is on the inside of the front panel just under the LH headlight. All failed within weeks after installing: rain, salt, mud... that motor couldn't cope with that.

    I found a complete set for my MY76 in Sweden during my summer holiday. I installed it, found the correct wiring loom and before the winter was over, the whole contraption had failed...
    thanks for the info, as MFB says, beautiful cars! shame the wipers were so fragile :)

  12. #12
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
    Öin burnt orange with red velour interior.
    I know, that combo sounds aweful, but it was (is) in fact beautiful!

    I had one in greenish white with green verlour, somewhere around 85/86. Best car seats up until the day I drove my wifeís Volvo V70 in 2015.

  13. #13
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    5,915
    Quote Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
    Fabulous! A good friend of mine has recently acquired a 99 Turbo with only 1 previous owner. Stunning car in burnt orange with red velour interior.
    Maybe a respray. I think the red 99 Turbo was "Zinnerbar Rod" (Cinnabar Red)
    500 in red LE's and 500 in black model year '78. I passed my test in a red one - VTJ 755V

  14. #14
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Warwick
    Posts
    181
    Could well be Cinnabar red. Will try and upload a pic.

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,608
    Love a good Saab!

    Had a 900 convertible for quite a few years. Great car and supremely comfortable.

    Have always thought about getting another Saab as a runaround.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Great pics !!
    The Haynes manual was my bible. I remember trying to change brake pads and the first thing the manual said was 'take Saab special tool number ### to rotate the caliper' ?? Needless to say there was a lot of frustration too!
    Great cars and thanks for sharing!
    We made our own tool from a length of metal bar and two bolts threaded through it, the SAAB tool had a three headed end and our tool had just two but we must have used it a dozen times on the various 900s and 99s we owned. Brilliant cars, really miss them.

  17. #17
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    If this was the colour, then it's called Cardinal Red. (The one on the pic is from Saab's own museum in Trollhattan)



    But I must admit that Saab had a habit of changing colours but keeping the same name and vice versa. The only way you can tell for sure what the correct colour is, is to check the code under the VIN number.

    EDIT: the colours were black, cardinal red and white (like mine) but... I just found a posting on the Dutch Saabforum telling that ordinary red was also a colour for the UK. My MY76 96 was 'ordinary red' or in Saab terms: cinnabar red. So it makes sense to assume that you are right about the colour!

    And we have a pic!

    Last edited by thieuster; 7th October 2021 at 08:09.

  18. #18
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK / Ireland
    Posts
    121
    Always been a Saab fan, had a multitude of 900's, 9000's and a 9-5 .. When i finally retire my first purchase will be a Saab 900 to do up.
    Constantly keeping my eye out for something out there that fits the bill..

  19. #19
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,617
    Lovely looking motor Menno.

    A pal of mine has always been a petrol head and after just selling his AMG Merc he has purchased a Saab Viggen.

    Apparently quite rare (?) he took it straight down to the Saab meeting in Somerset to show off.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  20. #20
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Lovely looking motor Menno.

    A pal of mine has always been a petrol head and after just selling his AMG Merc he has purchased a Saab Viggen.

    Apparently quite rare (?) he took it straight down to the Saab meeting in Somerset to show off.
    I lost track when Saab, in proper Omega style, started churning out 'Special Editions'.They always did: various markets had various details, on a level that I think: "WHY?" Two examples: US 96 had round rear view mirrors the ROTW had 'ear-shaped' rearview mirrors. Certain markets had vinyl upholstery in the 95V4, others had cloth/vinyl. Panel-van-style 95s were only sold in the UK, Finland and Denmark. And then that cinnabar red colour for 'UK only'. It would have been a hit on other markets too! (It looks like the fire brigade, it's even faster than the fire brigade!). It became a Special Edition landscape when the first 900 was introduced back in '78.

  21. #21
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    25,617
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I lost track when Saab, in proper Omega style, started churning out 'Special Editions'.They always did: various markets had various details, on a level that I think: "WHY?" Two examples: US 96 had round rear view mirrors the ROTW had 'ear-shaped' rearview mirrors. Certain markets had vinyl upholstery in the 95V4, others had cloth/vinyl. Panel-van-style 95s were only sold in the UK, Finland and Denmark. And then that cinnabar red colour for 'UK only'. It would have been a hit on other markets too! (It looks like the fire brigade, it's even faster than the fire brigade!). It became a Special Edition landscape when the first 900 was introduced back in '78.
    I'll show him that.

    Might shut him up a bit!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  22. #22
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Going to have a look at this one on Sunday. Pfff, the first one that looks good on the pics. I think that I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. There are only 92 registered at the Dutch DVLA and those I've seen a rust buckets. This one is restored and for sale because it's owner needs the money for another (Saab) project. The owner has tons of pics of the restoration. Always a good starting point for a conversation. It's a 3-owner-since-new MY 1973 car.






  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I had a Saab93 turbo convertible in 2007. Great car and yes it was based on a Vauxhall.
    Iíve still got one. Exactly the same model: 2007 9-3 Convertible.

    Iíve had it a couple of years as a DD/work car. Itís the best Ďfreeí motoring that Iíve ever had.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Today I went to see my former colleague-and-also-retired friend who was always busy tinkering with Saabs. Like me, he moved to rural areas with tons of space and he has started a Saab Museum next to his workshop where he restores Saabs. Some cars are for sale but some are not. Interesting stuff.
    Where is that thieuster?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    That's not a metallic green one. It's the dreadful colour 'Verona green'. But now it's properly cleaned and polished! That MY74 is more or less a time machine. Everything is there. It's absolutely period correct. My wife who's not into cars at all said the same thing you did. That Verona green car caught her eye.

    What's more: that roof rack is worth a fortune among Saab afficionados. It's an original Saab part and it's the type of rack that's especially made for the 95: it has 3 cross bars instead of the 96's 2 bars version. Nerd-modus on: the MY74 is easy to recognize: it has the latest version of the grill: the plastic grill and rubber patches on the chrome bumpers. The headlight wipers were factory fitted for only a few years. It was halted in 76 and the wipers returned in 77. Apart from the quirkiness, it's a problematic and complicated device with arms, pieces of string (yes) and then: the wiper motor is on the inside of the front panel just under the LH headlight. All failed within weeks after installing: rain, salt, mud... that motor couldn't cope with that.

    I found a complete set for my MY76 in Sweden during my summer holiday. I installed it, found the correct wiring loom and before the winter was over, the whole contraption had failed...
    I bought a 1978 Verona Green Saab 96 with 160,000 kms on the clock from a mate when I first moved to London in 1990. It was LHD and cost me £200. It was on it's last legs but I ran it for 4 years until it gave up the ghost one winter morning and I had to scrap it. Really enjoyed it while I had it

  26. #26
    Master thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GMT+1
    Posts
    8,535
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Where is that thieuster?
    I'll send you a PM with his address and phone number.

    Menno

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information