closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Maranez Samui arrives

Maranez Samui arrives

Watch arrived the other day. Quick thoughts:

Roll up kit with extra bracelet links, nato and leather strap. Bezel aligned and tight. Easy to rotate bezel, matte yellow dial. Not sure I like the hands but that is an easy fix. Large crown makes easy to turn but could do without the date window.

Comfortable on the wrist. No lume shot yet. +2 sec per day.

Ooo, another Doxa copy.

Hopefully didn't arrive with those scratches?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Ooo, another Doxa copy.
    Worth a read

http://www.doxa300t.com/maranez/maranez.htm
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    LOL

So, for any of you who gets all bent out of shape over the morals or ethics of fakes, homages, reproductions or return on investment from buying watches etc, etc. Stop reading now. Go away. This is of no interest to you. This is purely a review of a watch that looks like a Doxa in some ways and it is from someone who is considered to have a bit of knowledge on the Doxa SUB. There is no moralizing, no ethical debate, no politics, no sex and no football. Probably not worth reading really, except if you are interested in watches. So with that out of the way. Here's the beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hopefully didn't arrive with those scratches?
    nope, my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    LOL

Recently Synchron came out with a flot out replica of the original Doxa Army from the early 70's. The doxa fans scooped them up although they were not Swiss Made, just a alleged "swiss made" movement. The man who wrote the review of the Maranez did a fair job in dealing with facts and his own insights and opinions. His reviews over the years have been quoted more times than I prefer to remember. He also did a decent comparison of the tactical frog (doxa lookalike) compared to the maranez and the sub.

Go ahead, tell me the difference between them including the flat out making of a replica by Syncrhon of the Doxa Army.

[QUOTE=koimaster;5847732]Recently Synchron came out with a flot out replica of the original Doxa Army from the early 70's. The doxa fans scooped them up although they were not Swiss Made, just a alleged "swiss made" movement. The man who wrote the review of the Maranez did a fair job in dealing with facts and his own insights and opinions. His reviews over the years have been quoted more times than I prefer to remember. He also did a decent comparison of the tactical frog (doxa lookalike) compared to the maranez and the sub.

QUOTE]

I am not sure what you mean by ‘alleged’ Swiss movement??

My understanding is the Synchron is made in Germany not Switzerland and has a Swiss movement.
    It has never been claimed to be a Swiss made watch. In fact the maker made this very clear at the time. (the same Chinese made hear say follows Doxa as well)
    The story behind the Synchron and how it came to be is well known and is no secret.
    These on the other hand are less clear. I presume the Maranez Army is a homage of a homage then?
    Your watch looks great and it seems Doxa homages are in vogue currently.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 6th October 2021 at 22:36.

Both manufactured in China, both keep time within 2 seconds per day and both fit and finish are relatively as good as each other, in my opinion..

The Only real difference is that one cost £1800.00 and the other cost £150.00!

Sent from my work bench using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Both manufactured in China, both keep time within 2 seconds per day and both fit and finish are relatively as good as each other, in my opinion..

Like the Seestern, bear me in mind when you flip it 😀

Watched a ‘just one more watch’ vid this morning
    His view is that It’s highly likely that most of the homages come from the same factory, bit of a price difference between the homages let alone the Doxa and Synchrons.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 7th October 2021 at 13:42.

More than a little disingenuous but why let it come in way of mocking something!

[QUOTE=RAJEN;5847768]
    Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Recently Synchron came out with a flot out replica of the original Doxa Army from the early 70's. The doxa fans scooped them up although they were not Swiss Made, just a alleged "swiss made" movement. The man who wrote the review of the Maranez did a fair job in dealing with facts and his own insights and opinions. His reviews over the years have been quoted more times than I prefer to remember. He also did a decent comparison of the tactical frog (doxa lookalike) compared to the maranez and the sub.

QUOTE]

I am not sure what you mean by ‘alleged’ Swiss movement??

Is it an ébauche sent to china modified and cased there or is it a true Swiss Made one which would include the ébauche as well as other components, including the escapement, balance and balance spring, etc., from suppliers before finishing, assembling, and regulating the completed movement and then having it cased in china.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    More than a little disingenuous but why let it come in way of mocking something!

http://www.doxa300t.com/maranez/maranez.htm

http://www.doxa300t.com/maranez3/maranez3.htm

http://www.doxa300t.com/froggy/froggy.htm

To say that Maranez did a fantastic job on the 3rd generation Samui is an understatement. The watch and package punches well above it's weight for the price. It certainly looks like a SUB 300 and wears like one too. However, there is one thing that the Samui will never have, no matter how well made or how good a watch it is, and that is the word Doxa on the dial. It may look like a Doxa SUB but it is not one and that 4 letter word and all the brand history is enough reason for many people to pay over $2,000 more to buy one. Paying $399 for a Samui will not give you any connection to dive watch history or Dirk Pitt but it will give you a great watch.

But I'll leave the last words about the Samui to a forum member who summed the situation up brilliantly........If I can get 90% of the watch at 20% of the price, it's at least worth a punt.
    Dr. Peter McClean Millar

By the way, a screen shot from the Doxa forum at WUS stating that what folks are calling Doxa was a forum watch, plain and simple. They are by definition homages to the original watches made by the original Doxa company which went under in the late 70s or so. Jenny purchased the rights to the company several years later. No different than the invicta watch group purchasing the original company name and trying to tie themselves to the original history.

And this is from Hondinkee. The BDWF forum had been hosted on a server in germany owned by the former doxa guy. I know this for a fact as I tried to purchase that forum from one of the owners who was unaware at the time where the data base was. hosted. He thought it was at godaddy. I still have all of the emails from Mike and Rick who in the past has butted heads with not only myself but many others.

I wish the Jenny family well with what they do in the future with Doxa and their other lines but I still would like to know what happened between them and rick marei.

And I took these screen shots back in 2009 from the Walca East website. 24 hours after I originally posted them the URL was 404 and the photos disappeared. I also received multiple emails and private messages at several watch sites. No need to reveal what was said.