closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Non-OEM IWC Big Pilot watch strap options

Non-OEM IWC Big Pilot watch strap options

Does anyone know were I can source a good quality (but not stupidly priced) non-OEM IWC Big Pilot watch strap (where I can reuse my deployment)? Tks all.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Watch obsession have a few and could work with a deployant depending on its type

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/iwc-style
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman
    I’ve had a couple of straps from The Watch Boys - they offer a good balance of quality to price, in my opinion.

http://www.thewatchboys.com/iwc®-st...m-c-78_81.html

I’m sure I have one here from a big pilot I sold around 6 years ago. Let me take a look

If you want this one we could sort out a fundraiser donation?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Watch obsession have a few and could work with a deployment depending on its type

Thanks. I did see these but dismissed them as the buckle strap length is 80mm vs the 55mm of OEM. That said I've just noticed that the non-buckle strap length is 120mm vs the 145/150mm of OEM.

So net net it looks like a wash - but I guess the deployment will sit differently? For £40 I may just give it a whirl. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    I’ve had a couple of straps from The Watch Boys - they offer a good balance of quality to price, in my opinion.

http://www.thewatchboys.com/iwc®-st...m-c-78_81.html
    I'm trying to get close to OEM look so after a strap with the rivets - but super grateful for the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I’m sure I have one here from a big pilot I sold around 6 years ago. Let me take a look
    Thanks very much for the kind offer but I'm after brown, smooth, rivets (in hindsight I should have loaded that upfront).

Take a look here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_s...cat=1103667010

I've bought a few of their 21mm straps for my 3717 Chrono and have been very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    Take a look here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_s...cat=1103667010

I've bought a few of their 21mm straps for my 3717 Chrono and have been very happy.
    That's the winner! (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122183633...0AAOSwLF1YAmzp). Thanks! Although I have also bought one from Watch Obsession earlier - I guess you can't have too many!

Thanks all!

Master
    I’ve just ordered one of these.

https://chrono24.app/iwc/braceletstr...GB&SETCURR=GBP

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Watch obsession have a few and could work with a deployant depending on its type

Update for those people in the same boat, now or in the future...

So I bought one of the Watchobsession straps as per the link (I've actually bought two replacements from different places - this one came in first).

Good news - the colour match, stitching, etc. is excellent to perfect. Totally looks OEM except for the lack of the orange colour on the inside and the length differences on the buckle end.

Bad news - the longer length does not 'taper' (not in width, but in depth) so it does not 'fit' though the OEM deployment (it's far to thick). I didn't notice the OEM strap tapering in depth so did not even think about that issue.

The so so news is that the buckle is not brushed (or IWC 'shaped') but I knew that on purchase and it's easily solvable and I've got something on order.

Therefore - great strap, quality, match. Does not take IWC deployment. But will look great with an IWC-style buckle which I have on order.

EDIT - Also the rivets are not brushed.
    Last edited by Merod; 12th October 2021 at 19:56.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Snap, I've got one of those on order also. I had an email this morning telling me that it's been made and is being shipped.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merod View Post

So I bought one of the Watchobsession straps as per the link (I've actually bought two replacements from different places - this one came in first).

Good news - the colour match, stitching, etc. is excellent to perfect. Totally looks OEM except for the lack of the orange colour on the inside and the length differences on the buckle end.

Bad news - the longer length does not 'taper' (not in width, but in depth) so it does not 'fit' though the OEM deployment (it's far to thick). I didn't notice the OEM strap tapering in depth so did not even think about that issue.

The so so news is that the buckle is not brushed (or IWC 'shaped') but I knew that on purchase and it's easily solvable and I've got something on order.

Therefore - great strap, quality, match. Does not take IWC deployment. But will look great with an IWC-style buckle which I have on order.
    That's a shame. Having seen this I was going to pickup a couple myself, but would rather stick to the OEM deployant.

Craftsman
    Check out ziczacleather.com

I've bought a Tag strap for their clasp and it worked perfectly.

Good choice of leathers and they will always make custom for a reasonable price.

Master

Snap, I've got one of those on order also. I had an email this morning telling me that it's been made and is being shipped.
    I got an email today too saying the same :)

Got mine out of the winder this morning to check accuracy (sad but true) and noticed this on the OEM.....WTF. I’ve only worn it half a dozen time in 2 weeks of ownership.

Last edited by watchmad; 11th October 2021 at 19:03.

Grand Master
    Checking accuracy on a winder is a bit pointless, don`t expect the figure to agree with what you'll see in normal wear.

Master

Got mine out of the winder this morning to check accuracy (sad but true) and noticed this on the OEM.....WTF. I’ve only worn it half a dozen time in 2 weeks of ownership.

What has happened to the edge of the bezel? It looks like you’ve taken an angle grinder to it.

Its nothing like the OEM strap, but the DiModel Tornado is a superb Aviator strap
    Discussed here

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-Tornado-strap

Ive got a couple and love them.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    What has happened to the edge of the bezel? It looks like you’ve taken an angle grinder to it.
    You had me worried as it does look bad. Finger prints and bad light/focus.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Checking accuracy on a winder is a bit pointless, don`t expect the figure to agree with what you'll see in normal wear.
    It’s all part of new watch/movement ownership. It had only been in the winder overnight having been on my wrist most of Sunday and not wound since Tuesday.

-3 secs. Not bad.

New strap from IWC en-route.

Grand Master
    It’s all part of new watch/movement ownership. It had only been in the winder overnight having been on my wrist most of Sunday and not wound since Tuesday.

-3 secs. Not bad.

New strap from IWC en-route.
    Far better to just wind it up, wear it a few days, leaving it dial up overnight. A watch will generally run at a consistent rate whilst being worn (with minor variation depending on wear pattern) and it'll run at a very consistent rate overnight dial-up. It's worth checking the two rates, on a good watch they shouldn't differ by more than 2-3 secs and ideally they will be closer together. When I regulate a watch I work on the basis on 16hrs wear and 8hrs dial-up overnight, I calculate an overall rate on this basis and aim for approx. 2 secs/day gain.

When a watch is on a winder it might approximate to being worn, but owing to the intermittent running it will spend periods of time stopped in an unusual position. In my experience the rate on a winder can vary significantly from the 'on the wrist' rate and as an exercise in checking performance its not what I recommend.

I'm not a fan of watch winders for reasons I`ve outlined often, I would never use one to store a watch.

Master
    Far better to just wind it up, wear it a few days, leaving it dial up overnight. A watch will generally run at a consistent rate whilst being worn (with minor variation depending on wear pattern) and it'll run at a very consistent rate overnight dial-up. It's worth checking the two rates, on a good watch they shouldn't differ by more than 2-3 secs and ideally they will be closer together. When I regulate a watch I work on the basis on 16hrs wear and 8hrs dial-up overnight, I calculate an overall rate on this basis and aim for approx. 2 secs/day gain.

When a watch is on a winder it might approximate to being worn, but owing to the intermittent running it will spend periods of time stopped in an unusual position. In my experience the rate on a winder can vary significantly from the 'on the wrist' rate and as an exercise in checking performance its not what I recommend.

I'm not a fan of watch winders for reasons I`ve outlined often, I would never use one to store a watch.
    That's interesting, Thank You.

I have a Pilot Chrono too and it's pretty accurate and spends most of it's time on the winder. Due to COVID I've not been wearing it much and it is very accurate on the winder and wrist.

- - - Updated - - -

That's interesting, Thank You.

I have a Pilot Chrono too and it's pretty accurate and spends most of it's time on the winder. Due to COVID I've not been wearing it much and it is very accurate on the winder and wrist.

I'd take that back the dealer, ideally an IWC boutique. I'd be surprised if they don't do something for you, i.e. worth a try for a new strap.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT - Also the rivets are not brushed.
    Small Edit above.

So this arrived for me today.

The colour match to OEM is not as good as the WatchObsession strap (which is bang on) but it's close enough (okay). The rivets are brushed, but sit a little higher than OEM (overall, good). The strap tapers in 'height' so fits the deployment (good). The 'build' feels .... average. The leather is nice but it's not as 'meaty' as the WatchObsession strap (okay).

Overall I think I'll wear this on the deployment for the time being BUT might actually prefer the 'quality' of the WatchObsession strap and will likely move to that when my new buckle comes though (despite the non-brushed rivets).

I hope that helps someone else down the line.

Master
    I'd take that back the dealer, ideally an IWC boutique. I'd be surprised if they don't do something for you, i.e. worth a try for a new strap.

- - - Updated - - -

Small Edit above.
    Replacement strap arriving from dealer soon.

Master
    So this arrived for me today.

The colour match to OEM is not as good as the WatchObsession strap (which is bang on) but it's close enough (okay). The rivets are brushed, but sit a little higher than OEM (overall, good). The strap tapers in 'height' so fits the deployment (good). The 'build' feels .... average. The leather is nice but it's not as 'meaty' as the WatchObsession strap (okay).

Overall I think I'll wear this on the deployment for the time being BUT might actually prefer the 'quality' of the WatchObsession strap and will likely move to that when my new buckle comes though (despite the non-brushed rivets).

I hope that helps someone else down the line.
    Useful info. The watch obsession looks perfect apart from the buckle. I found the drwaychstrap excellent however it’s not as stiff as the OEM but when on the wrist I find it perfectly adequate and comfy. I was told yesterday the replacement IWC is in and will be sent out to me. I wager when that arrives the drwatchstrap will be removed. I couldn’t bare wearing the watch with the missing rivet so it did it’s job in getting the watch on my wrist in the meantime.

There are lots of non-OEM straps out there but it is a bit of a lottery. I found the drwatchstrap experience a good one.

Master

Wife found this this morning whilst hoovering the kitchen. It fits back in but is a bit loose. …(see previous posts)

Wife found this this morning whilst hoovering the kitchen. It fits back in but is a bit loose. …(see previous posts)

Must be a manufacturing fault - should be covered by any warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Must be a manufacturing fault - should be covered by any warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got a replacement strap from IWC. But now I have 2 complete straps :)