closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Switching from Android to Apple

Switching from Android to Apple

Hi,

I want to retire my Samsung Galaxy and get an iPhone 13.

Never had an iPhone before, how easy is to to transfer my contacts and data?

Anything that I need to consider before I make the switch?

Thanks all!

Fairly sure I've said this before but that is an outstanding avatar.

In terms of switching, what is driving your decision?

Just interested as a long-term Android user.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Hi,

Thanks all!
    I’m pretty sure Apple have an Android app that takes care of it. They did when I last switched anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Fairly sure I've said this before but that is an outstanding avatar.

In terms of switching, what is driving your decision?

Just interested as a long-term Android user.
    I've resisted for all these years but switching now for a very personal reason - my daughter has an iPad and I want to be able to FaceTime with her.

^I'll keep an eye on this thread as I am the lone Android user amid a sea of Apple users as well.

I think it's fairly certain you will lose anything in WhatsApp. Contacts and SMS will be fine.

Strongly advise you to use Google Photos on the Android first before moving over. Even then on Apple I'd still use Google Photos.

Nearly bought an iPhone 13 the other day to move back to iOS too but I cannot be bothered with the lightning cable. My iPad pro has USB C, no reason why the iPhone Pro shouldn't either.

Worth looking here https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone/switch/

It's really easy. Go to the Apple website and search your question for the step-by-step instructions. You're making the right move too, iPhone just works! I made the switch back to Android a couple of years ago simply because I was bored and went back to Apple again within a month.

I've resisted for all these years but switching now for a very personal reason - my daughter has an iPad and I want to be able to FaceTime with her.
    You still can, even on Android, but she has to imitate the facetime call, you can't. Family linked capitulation would be the reason I'd move back to iOS too. Surely you can both just use WhatsApp or Google Duo?
    ^I'll keep an eye on this thread as I am the lone Android user amid a sea of Apple users as well.
    My and my wife are the only two using Google Pixels, every single other family member on both sides has an iPhone. At some point I'll go back too, just to make it easier.

At least with iPhone you can buy one and not think about phones again for another 2-3 years. Longer if you're not a fiend.

^Yes, I'd be happy to stick with Android but there are some connectivity hurdles occasionally with Apple devices which makes me think it might be worth it.

Professionally there would be some benefits to moving over too but it's something I've resisted for about a decade.

Timely thread as I have been wondering about this too. Not being able to move my Whatsapp across though is a bit of a downside.

Can you happily use an iPhone without having to touch iTunes? I hated that software last time I had an iPhone and won't subject myself to it again if it's a must.

I had an iPhone but moved to Google Pixel as it was one of the ‘cheapest’ handsets with a good camera. I will be moving back to iPhone in the near future, possibly the SE. Or the 12 mini.

I use Google Photos, Chrome browser and Outlook app which has contacts synced, all of which I use on my ageing iPad Air. This keeps everything working sufficiently across devices. I may replace the iPad with a newer iPad but the base model.

The transition is easier if you use the same apps from Android, on iPhone. I always found contacts the issue and stick with Outlook.

The one thing I like with apple is being able to use the native calendar app, despite using the Outlook app and not the mail app. In this regard, the Pixel calendar whilst it shows my Outlook account, the calendar entries do not show.

I am unsure whether to replace my Pixel first or the iPad. First world problems.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Timely thread as I have been wondering about this too. Not being able to move my Whatsapp across though is a bit of a downside.
    Yeah that's a bummer if I end up losing all my WhatsApp messages. Is there no way to transfer them?

Yeah that's a bummer if I end up losing all my WhatsApp messages. Is there no way to transfer them?
    There are apps but they're not official and results are patchy. One friend managed it though

I made the switch just over a year ago and that was the only issue I had. Thought it was going to be a big deal but within about 2 days of switching I’d forgotten all about it. still have the backups of the chats should I ever have a burning desire to trawl thru them, but don’t see it happening

Master
    I happily swap back and forwards as the whim takes, I get bored regularly with phones.
    There is an app to aid switching and from my point of view it’s easier to move Android to iOS then the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post

Can you happily use an iPhone without having to touch iTunes? I hated that software last time I had an iPhone and won't subject myself to it again if it's a must.
    iTunes has been history for quite some time now, no longer an issue!

I tried the Apple way some time ago but swiftly reverted to Android.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    iTunes has been history for quite some time now, no longer an issue!

That's good to hear Rob

I find Apple's software lockouts on sub-assemblies that make up the iPhone 13 pretty offputting and this may be enough to keep me on Android. It is designed to stop 3rd parties from fixing the 13 and forcing you to use Apple for repairs. It makes a mockery of all the palaver about caring for the environment, a BS justification for removing chargers from new phones. The right to repair laws cannot happen quickly enough although it remains to be seen if they are introduced in the UK.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

At least with iPhone you can buy one and not think about phones again for another 2-3 years. Longer if you're not a fiend.
    Pretty sure you can with Android. Had my Pixel 2 XL for years now. Not even thought about replacing it and won't until it gives up the ghost. Still fast and takes amazing pics.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Pretty sure you can with Android. Had my Pixel 2 XL for years now. Not even thought about replacing it and won't until it gives up the ghost. Still fast and takes amazing pics.
    Pixel 2 XL is one of the best phones I've had.

Since then I've had the 3, 3XL, 4XL, and I'm currently using the Pixel 5 which is great but clearly has a midrange processor and lacking ram.

I'll either get the Pixel 6 or iPhone 12 Pro in the next 3 weeks once the Pixel 6 is out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Pixel 2 XL is one of the best phones I've had.

Since then I've had the 3, 3XL, 4XL, and I'm currently using the Pixel 5 which is great but clearly has a midrange processor and lacking ram.

I'll either get the Pixel 6 or iPhone 12 Pro in the next 3 weeks once the Pixel 6 is out.
    Certainly a great phine. Bought the 2xl second hand also. Before that I had a LG G4 which was great for the price. before that a Nexus 4. All I had for years.

Difference is I'm not a new tech adopter. Mostly because I can't afford to be but also because I don't mind my phone being a nano second slower than the best for a lot less.

No you're not. My wife is an Apple user and I can't understand why anyone would want to use Apple especially with rip off prices.

I moved to an iPhone 13 Mini recently because I wanted a smaller phone. The only good smaller phone seems to be the Mini. On the whole I like it, but I have lost all of my Whatsapp history, which is annoying.

Journeyman
    I recently made the move from Android to Apple ... i found the transfer worked pretty well using an android app called Move to IoS

This took you through the process. It even tries to match the apps you had on Android and download the equivalents (if they exist) from the Apple app store.

One issue i did have after the move was that i would not receive some SMS texts from various people ... this was down to Google RCS, so on your old Android phone you would need to go to messages/settings and disable chat features.
    The SMS messages would then get delivered via your provider rather than via wifi and Google.

Do NOT buy the IPhone 13. They developed it in just 1 year. The first IPhone took billions of years to develop. Why would anyone trust a phone that was developed in such a rush?

The Guardian like the new iPhones, and so do I as I've just ordered one. After many years on Android, I fancied a change of OS and a much better camera on my phone. While I have Macs as my main computers, I mostly inhabit the Googlesphere and that's well managed on both platforms.

I'll be migrating, when my 13 arrives in a month's time, manually, as I like the idea of starting afresh, with as little as possible installed.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...a-zoom-battery

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It's really easy. Go to the Apple website and search your question for the step-by-step instructions. You're making the right move too, iPhone just works! I made the switch back to Android a couple of years ago simply because I was bored and went back to Apple again within a month.
    Other opinions are available.

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    No you're not. My wife is an Apple user and I can't understand why anyone would want to use Apple especially with rip off prices.
    I'm obviously in the minority here as once upon a time I was compelled by work to use an iphone (shudder) thankfully that time has passed, very pleased with android integration and personalisation which I suppose might be a stumbling block for some 'seniors'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I tried the Apple way some time ago but swiftly reverted to Android.
    I found it surprising that my quick charge lead was a few quid and the Apple one was three or four times the price.

Perhaps I was in the wrong shop (EE store IIRC).

After a month's wait, my new iPhone has arrived and I'm very pleased with it overall. As mentioned above, I did a manual installation without using my Apple ID or iCloud as I don't like the all encompassing Apple ecosphere, despite having Macs and now an iPhone.

I installed my apps afresh and only encountered a couple of issues.

• Like GingerPaul, I lost previous WhatsApp messages but as these are just friend chats, it's not a problem.
    • I control my domain and main Gmail account through Google Workspace and had to permit syncing to iOS in my admin panel. I thought I would have to go down the horrible route of full blown device management but worked out the correct settings eventually.
    • I use Slack at work and the app would not connect, despite trying many workarounds. I then remembered I'd changed my email format a year ago, and that was the problem.
    • Despite many sites saying that Google Pay is available in the App Store, I couldn't see it. Apple's Wallet uses iCloud which I don't really want to start using for a variety of reasons, so I'll keep using physical cards.

Everything else went smoother than expected:

• I use two step authentication extensively via the Google Authenticator, and I had been concerned about transferring the saved accounts. In the end it was very easy to do, like exporting and importing a browser's bookmarks.
    • Likewise, reassigning the iPhone as my bank's secure device. A couple of scans using the camera, meant it only took a couple of minutes.
    • Duolingo works much better for my Dutch lessons, as the microphone is clearly a vast improvement and can hear my attempts and actually write them in Dutch. :)

I've moved from a cheapish Android phone from 2019 to the top current iPhone and I am very pleased with the improved sound quality, the inherent and internet speed, the much larger memory and the camera, especially the camera, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. I will be testing it thoroughly.

It will take me a couple of days to familiarise myself with the platform's differences in swiping, pressing, not pressing and so on, but that's part of the fun of getting new tech.

Will be moving back to Apple next week. Shame you can move your chats from iOS to Android but not the other way round. My friend used some £20 software and it worked, might give that a go.

Apple need to soften up and allow users to choose their default apps. Default assistant, music player etc.

Craftsman

Switching from Android to Apple

deleted

Master
    Computer and mobile phone technology and using the bloody things is a totally boring subject to me as I just consider them an evil necessity in todays world.

All I will say is that Apple wins hands down when it comes to ease of use and security. The main downside is that they are absolute nazis when it comes to apps etc. So my summation is go Apple for overall ease of use but be prepared to splash the cash a bit more.

I expect to remain with them for life.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

Thanks all!
    I have been apple for donkeys years, too much ‘legacy’ kit from phones, pads, laptop, mini desktops, full desktops, music players etc.

My employer then issued me android phone and laptop. Holy moly did I find it challenging. Very very different. Not intuitive or natural (for me).

Good luck going the other way and welcome.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Very easy switch:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201196

And there is software to transfer your WhatsApp etc

https://www.tenorshare.net/whatsapp-...p-restore.html
    Last edited by Franco; 6th November 2021 at 15:58.