closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Plates - any pros out there..?

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Incorrect spacing just looks desperate and sad to me. If it doesn't 'work' with correct spacing, forget it AFAIK.
    Agreed.

Followed a Merc SUV earlier with a plate of, I think, AHM 114B.

But he'd pushed them together and then stuck a yellow screw head in the B, so it looked like AHMAD (I presume).

You had to be very close to see the last letter was a B, so the plate must have been illegal on numerous levels.

It's a shame you can't just have anything though, surely memorable plates would be easier to remember if involved in a crime.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Have you seen the same reg listed by another broker? It isn’t uncommon to see several listings for the same number, at different asking prices.
    No I think it's only on the one, or at least I haven't seen it elsewhere and Google isn't showing any other options.

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    You're gonna hate mine with a passion then!
    Wobbly is definitely my favourite

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's a shame you can't just have anything though, surely memorable plates would be easier to remember if involved in a crime.
    Danger with some plates is you can be distracted trying to work out what the actual registration is if you take away the misspacing etc.!

Master
    Off the back of this thread, I had a look at the latest DVLA online auction.

A number of their offerings rely on misspacing!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    That’s correct - however the constabulary are not interested in minor indiscretions - it’s legible and easily identified
    My nephew has a really good one that looks like his name with minimal fiddling. I said you will get pulled by the police; thinking he never will in a million years. Got stopped after about 3 weeks.

I’ve seen certain illegal plates around where I am that are on the 3rd or 4th vehicle over years and obviously never been bothered by the law.

I'm not sure requiring all getaway drivers to get their car plates changes to ACR 1M is going to work.

A few years ago there was an MP suggesting proper full word plates, but never came to anything.

Mate of mine in Calgary has vanity plate 'RFP' or suchlike, cost peanuts like CAD$50...

Craftsman
    mine was £399 N1VLO MY NAME OLVIN ... a gift from the missus

They haven't called. Ball is back in my court I guess!

Seriously don’t be too eager.

My son went through something similar to get a plate that he wanted, played the waiting game and eventually he got it for less than a quarter of what they wanted for it. Did take some time though.

Master
    Don’t see the point of private plates myself unless your a poser or Willy waver. Only imho of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Don’t see the point of private plates myself unless your a poser or Willy waver. Only imho of course.
    Well one good reason is not having to change your Dartford Crossing account every time you change your car, particularly if you have a number of cars on the account.

But thank you for advising me that my posing wife likes to wave her Willy!

Yes, cheaper to get a T-shirt printed with a random misspelt word.

I bought mine from DVLA for £250.00 which includes the £80.00 transfer fee. P11 CLX you can probably guess my name from it. I couldn't get CLK
    I'm in my 50s and never ever felt the need for one but on a whim I took a look on their website and came away with a w4nker plate
    Bordom really does cost a lot at times.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Seriously don’t be too eager.

My son went through something similar to get a plate that he wanted, played the waiting game and eventually he got it for less than a quarter of what they wanted for it. Did take some time though.
    I think it very much depends on the plate. For a dateless 4 digit plate it seems the demands there, everything sells for good money etc. There's no chance I'd get more than 25% off, as anything and everything in that range sells at auction for that or more. Conversely I imagine for longer plates which roughly spell out a word etc, prices will be more likely to be all over the shop as it's much more subjective.

Grand Master
    +1, When I was unashamedly going through the male menopause ca 15 years ago I seriously considered buying one, a ‘proper’ one not something that needs messing with to look right.

I tried to buy PW58 for £5K and failed.........thankfully some other knob wanted it more than I did.

Seriously, step back and ask yourself a few questions.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    +1, When I was unashamedly going through the male menopause ca 15 years ago I seriously considered buying one, a ‘proper’ one not something that needs messing with to look right.

I tried to buy PW58 for £5K and failed.........thankfully some other knob wanted it more than I did.

Fair, but if you had bought it then it'd be worth more now and you've have had it for 15 years. Swings and roundabouts. Perhaps I'll look back and think the same though
    Last edited by M1011; 8th September 2023 at 02:42.

Master
    Back when we had plates in Northern Ireland assigned by county, so it was always easy to recognise a “Tyrone” car on your travels

They always ended JI, so AJI 1, CJI 6000 etc

They did away with that system so for historical reasons I bought NJI 77 when the chance arose and NJI 67 when it appeared on eBay one night I’d been having a drink or 10

Can’t ever imagine selling them, my kids will have them

I like personalised number plates. I remember seeing a single single plate on a Vauxhall Astra. The car was very old with a value in the few hundreds, in comparison to the number plate which was worth multiple thousands. I thought it was really cool.

When a number plate has bolts, screws and illegal spacing, it looks awful.

There is a number plate thread on Pistonheads with some horrendous examples.

Hold out OP. When you get called, drop your price further. Really make them work for the sale. He who dares...

PW 58 would be £10k+ now. Your loss.

I regret not buying 69 GYP when it was advertised in the back of Exchange and Mart for £600.

Mind you, £600 was quite a lot of money back in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Not really, we don't know what it sold for but ~£6.5k then would be £10k now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It’s not assigned to a car so either lost or on retention

You won’t by a two number two ‘common letter’ plate for under £10k now, and it’ll be £20k in another decade. So yes, it should’ve been bought.

By all means don’t like private plates, but the fact is they are increasing assets which vetoes any ‘they make no sense’ allegations.

You won’t by a two number two ‘common letter’ plate for under £10k now, and it’ll be £20k in another decade. So yes, it should’ve been bought.

By all means don’t like private plates, but the fact is they are increasing assets which vetoes any ‘they make no sense’ allegations.
    From your figures probably increased at rate of inflation, that’s all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I just press the boot open button on the remote and look for the tailgate lifting.

It does have the wife’s plate on it though!
    Years ago, my old boss used a customers car (not something I’d ever do by the way!) to go Christmas shopping. Parked it in a multi story, got his bits and forgot what car he had come in. Or what floor he was on. This was pre remote locking and pre mobile phones so he had about an hour wondering around before he recognised it.

From your figures probably increased at rate of inflation, that’s all.
    The £10k+ I said could be £12k. Could be £18k. Common initials PW and a year of birth 58 are desirable.

Prices are currently very strong, much more so than 5-10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I regret not buying 69 GYP when it was advertised in the back of Exchange and Mart for £600.

Mind you, £600 was quite a lot of money back in the 80's.
    This happens to be attached to one of my bikes coincidentally:-)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I don’t define this as a loss, in the grand scheme if things its insignificant and I certainly don’t regret being outbid for this or any other number plate!

Actually, it was less than 15 years ago, it was around 2010. This number was released by DVLA and auctioned, I didn’t win but I was close. It then appeared on a dealers site at around £7.5k and didn’t sell for months. Number plates seemed to remain unsold for over 12 months at that time, maybe that’s changed.

As for investment potential, a number that relates to a certain year is eventually going to lose its appeal, folks born in 1958 will now be 63 and that’s getting well into the territory where priorities move away from the flashy and flamboyant. PW will become less appealing because Peter, Paul and Philip are less popular names than they once were and that will eventually affect demand.

Had I bought the plate I would've sold it in 2014 when health problems changed my attitude, mindset, and priorities, its unlikely I would still own it.

Question for the pros, should I be doing any checks on the reg ahead of time? Is it possible for historic 'stuff' attached to the plate to impact me if I buy it? e.g. if it was attached to a car that's had a past accident or something, will that impact me?

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    This happens to be attached to one of my bikes coincidentally:-)
    Ah, an RD250.

This, coincidentally, is attached to my Scrambler 900 :-)

Someone call Eddie, I've found the perfect plate for him

Master
    The £10k+ I said could be £12k. Could be £18k. Common initials PW and a year of birth 58 are desirable.

Prices are currently very strong, much more so than 5-10 years ago.
    Bought mine in 2006 for £6k. Had an outright buy offer from Regtransfers this year for £20k. I don't know what they were going to sell it on for! I reckon it's been a good investment.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Bought mine in 2006 for £6k. Had an outright buy offer from Regtransfers this year for £20k. I don't know what they were going to sell it on for! I reckon it's been a good investment.
    Sell the bloody thing and take the profit. Let some other knob enjoy the perceived ‘ kudos’ whilst you count your money.

Yawn.

Grand Master
    Yawn.
    Yeah, you keep yawning......sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, porridgewog.

Drive around with a personalised plate and some folks will think you’re cool, others will think you’re a prat. I prefer anonymity thesedays.

If I was the OP I’d spend my money on a decent motor instead.

That’s four negative posts; shall you grant us a fifth?

You really are the definition of monotonous.

Grand Master
    That’s four negative posts; shall you grant us a fifth?

You really are the definition of monotonous.
    No, I merely present an alternative viewpoint, you and I have a history of antagonism and you’re letting that sway your judgement.

Jog on Jocko, I’ve put forward a view that personalised plates are a crass form of vanity and I’ve explained how I arrived at this opinion. If you don’t like it that’s tough.

Porridge wog and now jocko, sometimes it's not what you say its how it's meant. Surely you can put your point across without lowering yourself to this level?
    No, I merely present an alternative viewpoint, you and I have a history of antagonism and you’re letting that sway your judgement.

Jog on Jocko, I’ve put forward a view that personalised plates are a crass form of vanity and I’ve explained how I arrived at this opinion. If you don’t like it that’s tough.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velvetsnow View Post
    Porridge wog and now jocko, sometimes it's not what you say its how it's meant. Surely you can put your point across without lowering yourself to this level?
    Me and him have history, he deserves it. He’s been having a pop at me for a few years on here.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th October 2021 at 00:14.

Master
    Yeah, you keep yawning......sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, porridgewog.

Drive around with a personalised plate and some folks will think you’re cool, others will think you’re a prat. I prefer anonymity thesedays.

If I was the OP I’d spend my money on a decent motor instead.
    I have two personalised plates. My plate is MP NNNN and the wifes is SUE NNN. I have lost count of how many times I have been stopped and been offered a nice juicy sum for them.

Owning a personalised plate is a sensible financial investment and the car isn't. I have owned both plates since the mid eighties and have never regretted it.

I once offered a guy £50k (many years ago) for SUE 1 and he told me he had recently turned down an offer for £270K. Goodness knows what he would get for it now.

If anyone thinks anyone else driving around on a personalised plate is a prat, then my view is it is they who are the prat. They certainly have very little commercial acumen.

Me and him have history, he deserves it. He’s been having a pop at me for a few years on here.
    I recall calling you a hypocrite due to your complaints about crass behaviour on the forum to the point you “permanently left” for all of about a month, which funnily enough happened a few days after you called someone the C word.

And now two rather misplaced Scottish comments to add to your catalogue of duplicity. You really are an idiot of the highest calibre.

A guy I used to have some dealings with 25 years ago had DAN 1 which always impressed me as I do like number plates, after knowing him for some time I asked him what he had paid for his number plate, he said £5, really ?

It turned out he dident own DAN 1 he just had the number plates made up and used them for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    A guy I used to have some dealings with 25 years ago had DAN 1 which always impressed me as I do like number plates, after knowing him for some time I asked him what he had paid for his number plate, he said £5, really ?

It turned out he dident own DAN 1 he just had the number plates made up and used them for a few years.
    Haha, didn't know that was an option!
    Last edited by M1011; 8th September 2023 at 02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have two personalised plates. My plate is MP NNNN and the wifes is SUE NNN.
    I presume these aren’t UK registrations with that format

Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    I presume these aren’t UK registrations with that format
    2 letter 4 number and 3 letter 3 number are historic UK formats.

2 letter 4 number and 3 letter 3 number are historic UK formats.
    I read the plates literally as NNN. Now I get it, thanks.

Ha yeah, code used by us plate nerds

Does that mean you thought from the first post I was trying to buy the literal plate "N LLL"