closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Private Plates - any pros out there..?

I've had 294HEW for 36 years now, and H3WWY for about 15, I can't imagine selling either to be honest.

I also don't understand the vitriol that personalised plates seem to attract, there are certain things that people enjoy owning that I don't particularly see the point of but I'd never dream of voicing my opinion.

If it harms no one and brings the owner pleasure then why piss on their chips?

Here's a couple of my private plates...
    The Mustang is a BOSS 302 model, and the Mercedes plate is for my company EMCO.

I prefer to buy direct from the DVLA. On both occasions (and several others) I wrote to the DVLA and asked them to release the registrations I wanted.
    They wrote back and confirmed they would be included in the next DVLA auction.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Sell the bloody thing and take the profit. Let some other knob enjoy the perceived ‘ kudos’ whilst you count your money.
    I think it will just keep on rising, so I'll hold off until my next retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Ha yeah, code used by us plate nerds
    I’ve got 6 plates of varying formats and was clearly being slow yesterday..

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Does that mean you thought from the first post I was trying to buy the literal plate "N LLL"
    Hah, quite possibly

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Here's a couple of my private plates...
    The Mustang is a BOSS 302 model, and the Mercedes plate is for my company EMCO.

I prefer to buy direct from the DVLA. On both occasions (and several others) I wrote to the DVLA and asked them to release the registrations I wanted.
    They wrote back and confirmed they would be included in the next DVLA auction.
    Naughty spacing

How do you check what dateless registrations DVLA are still holding? Would be keen for a look.

How do you check what dateless registrations DVLA are still holding? Would be keen for a look.
    Email DVLA! Just ask if X, Y, Z has been issued and, if not, if they could put it up for auction.

I got my mirror 1 plate this way, took a while but got there in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Email DVLA! Just ask if X, Y, Z has been issued and, if not, if they could put it up for auction.

I got my mirror 1 plate this way, took a while but got there in the end.
    Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I've had 294HEW for 36 years now, and H3WWY for about 15, I can't imagine selling either to be honest.

I also don't understand the vitriol that personalised plates seem to attract, there are certain things that people enjoy owning that I don't particularly see the point of but I'd never dream of voicing my opinion.

If it harms no one and brings the owner pleasure then why piss on their chips?
    It’s bizarre isn’t it? But you see it on nearly every thread in every forum about plates, I always assume it says more about them than the owner.

Offer declined at 92% of asking price

You need to now take a step back, wait, they will come back to and that’s where you then start low balling them, tell them you’ve since purchased another plate so not really interested - oh and also hope it doesn’t sell in the interim or read these forums

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    You need to now take a step back, wait, they will come back to and that’s where you then start low balling them, tell them you’ve since purchased another plate so not really interested - oh and also hope it doesn’t sell in the interim or read these forums
    It might not even be a bluff as I am now looking at alternatives The next DVLA auction is in a week also.

They are going to struggle to sell - people get all excited when the agents quote big money for plates but it is seldom realised.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    They are going to struggle to sell - people get all excited when the agents quote big money for plates but it is seldom realised.
    That's where I'd really benefit from 'sold prices' to know if this is priced keenly to sell or not, but seems the only real info is the DVLA auctions on this. I probably will leave it now though, as it's gone well beyond what I initially was comfortable spending on it.
    Last edited by M1011; 17th October 2021 at 23:42.

Private Plates - any pros out there..?

In the news today, bus lane camera mistakes T-shirt for number plate

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...d-25239517.amp

Would be amusing, if childish, to try and deliberately fool the cameras…

Update: I bought a plate and the transfer is now officially done to my vehicle. The physical plate turns up in the next few days, so off-road until then.

Thanks for all the advice / banter on this thread. Figured I should let you folk know it did actually lead somewhere!

Master
    Update: I bought a plate and the transfer is now officially done to my vehicle. The physical plate turns up in the next few days, so off-road until then.

Thanks for all the advice / banter on this thread. Figured I should let you folk know it did actually lead somewhere!
    There is a grace period so that you can drive your vehicle while waiting for the plate

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    There is a grace period so that you can drive your vehicle while waiting for the plate
    Interesting. Bit of googling suggested this may be the case, but I can't say I've found anything official stating it.

To be honest it's no big deal for mine to be off the road for a few days and I wouldn't fancy having that conversation with the insurance (or police) if I was unfortunate enough to have an accident on the old plate. I'm going to play it safe!

Master
    Interesting. Bit of googling suggested this may be the case, but I can't say I've found anything official stating it.

To be honest it's no big deal for mine to be off the road for a few days and I wouldn't fancy having that conversation with the insurance (or police) if I was unfortunate enough to have an accident on the old plate. I'm going to play it safe!
    When you put the plate on the vehicle, you get a notification that states you should put it on within a certain period of time. The documentation you already have should confirm without the need for relying on internet experts 😉

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    When you put the plate on the vehicle, you get a notification that states you should put it on within a certain period of time. The documentation you already have should confirm without the need for relying on internet experts 
    Presumably that's when you do it face-to-face at DVLA? The new reg has been transferred to the vehicle (and can be seen as having valid MOT/Tax and associated with my car online) but as this all happened online I have not yet received any paperwork from DVLA. Some written instructions would have been helpful, but ah well only a couple days to wait!

Presumably that's when you do it face-to-face at DVLA? The new reg has been transferred to the vehicle (and can be seen as having valid MOT/Tax and associated with my car online) but as this all happened online I have not yet received any paperwork from DVLA. Some written instructions would have been helpful, but ah well only a couple days to wait!
    You do not need to wait for DVLA.

I used Regtransfers last time and I got an e-mail from them advising me I could fit the plates, the DVLA docs arrived just over a week later. If it's showing online then you are good to go.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You do not need to wait for DVLA.

I used Regtransfers last time and I got an e-mail from them advising me I could fit the plates, the DVLA docs arrived just over a week later. If it's showing online then you are good to go.
    Yes that's the situation I'm in. Mtagrant was mentioning some of the paperwork (presumably from DVLA) outlines a grace period where you can continue to use the old reg plate (my new plates arrive next week). I assumed once the change happened I could no longer drive on the old plates, so have already switched my insurance to the new reg. But good to know for next time, no worries as I don't need to drive in the interim

The plates have arrived and I've fitted them today

The V5C also arrived today. The guidance from DVLA was a tad underwhelming. "Change the number plates as soon as possible" per the info sheet that arrived, which is not particularly enlightening on the window of time to make the change if the plates are not yet in-hand. But as the plates arrived at the same time it didn't matter in my case.

The RegTransfers service was flawless, so I can recommend them to anyone else after an unnecessary, expensive and impractical trinket - not that any of those types frequent this fine forum

Craftsman
    "Change the number plates as soon as possible" per the info sheet that arrived, which is not particularly enlightening on the window of time to make the change if the plates are not yet in-hand.
    I bought a new plate a few weeks ago, on my V750 form it says you have a 10 yr window in which you must assign the plate to a vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    I bought a new plate a few weeks ago, on my V750 form it says you have a 10 yr window in which you must assign the plate to a vehicle.
    Yes you can keep on retention for up-to-10 years and I believe longer than that too so long as you apply and pay the fee again.

What I was referring to is how long you have to switch the plate over once the DVLA has transferred the reg number onto your vehicle in their system. That seems a little bit undefined to me.

Master

What I was referring to is how long you have to switch the plate over once the DVLA has transferred the reg number onto your vehicle in their system. That seems a little bit undefined to me.
    I was told that if the transfer is done online, then the change is immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I was told that if the transfer is done online, then the change is immediate.
    I feel like I've caused more confusion for everyone by not explaining myself well

The bit that's unclear to me is once the transfer is done and your car is associated with the new reg by the DVLA, how long do you have to physically unscrew the old plates and screw on the new plates. So for example if your physical plates weren't arriving in the post until the next day, can you drive around still on your old plates for a day even though DVLA associates your car with the new reg? Or a week? Seems quite unclear in the instructions (or at least if there is clear instructions I haven't found them).

It's entirely irrelevant to my case now as the plates are on the car and it's all done, but was more of a general observation.

Nice plate

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread, thanks. I'm looking at a plate on Reg Transfers, but it has no 'make offer' button, does this mean the plate has never been registered and therefore the price is the price, or should I still be considering making an offer?

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Interesting thread, thanks. I'm looking at a plate on Reg Transfers, but it has no 'make offer' button, does this mean the plate has never been registered and therefore the price is the price, or should I still be considering making an offer?
    Can you find the plate on the DVLA website to purchase direct? https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

If so then it's not been registered and best bet is just to buy direct from DVLA. Feel free to PM me a link if you'd like me to take a look.

Master
    Couldn’t you go to your local motor factor and have plates made while you wait?

Blog Entries
    Can you find the plate on the DVLA website to purchase direct? https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

If so then it's not been registered and best bet is just to buy direct from DVLA. Feel free to PM me a link if you'd like me to take a look.
    Thank you, never been registered, and £300 cheaper by going direct

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Couldn’t you go to your local motor factor and have plates made while you wait?
    That's one option, once you have the paperwork through. The reg associated with the vehicle can be changed before the paperwork arrives though, as was the case for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Thank you, never been registered, and £300 cheaper by going direct
    Result