closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch shopping in Whitby

Watch shopping in Whitby

We went to a wet Whitby on Wednesday, watch shopping for the wife. And visited Watches of Whitby, a store owned by our very own Alexaff.

We've had a good look around York and Harrogate recently trying to find the perfect 40th birthday present – and no dealer locally carries as much stock as Watches of Whitby. Crazy to think even ladies watches are now a waiting list only option and AD's can't guarantee they'll be able to supply a watch for the Mrs 40th birthday next month. Fortunately Whitby is not too far away for us, and it's a lovely place to visit any time of the year.

Served by Mike (also a TZ member), we looked at a fantastic selection of watches and eventually settled on a 28mm new model Datejust. The shop is on one of Whitby's beautiful cobbled streets (Church St) at the foot of the 199 steps and is well worth a look in, if you're in the area. Not just for watches but straps, boxes and other accessories too.

It's a lovely shop with friendly and obviously very knowledgeable staff. Highly recommended!

What we left with...

And a mug and coaster too. We'll be back again next time we're in Whitby.

https://watchesofwhitby.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/watchesofwhitby/

Grand Master
    I’m hoping to get over to Whitby soon, I’ll definitely take a look. I bought a nice Omega Constellation from
    Alexaff many years ago with a view to restoring it to sell in, watch was so nice I ended up keeping it and I still own it.

I follow Alex's page on Instagram and am always impressed by the amount of stock he has and how high quality it is.

Great to hear the shopping experience is top notch too. Hope your wife enjoys the watch.

Sounds like a lovely day out, and a wee gem of a shop Alex has there too (definitely worth the 398 steps). I'll try to convince my wife to make a detour the next time we visit our daughter in Sheffield. A lovely 2020 watch too, great combination of oyster and fluted bezel.

I love Whitby, not far from us either and we go there a few times a year. Such a beautiful little town, the harbour at night is great and there’s so much history to explore - would recommend the ghost walks to anyone, my kids loved it. Lots of very old little pubs to duck into when the rain comes too. I’ve spent many a moment gazing into that shop window in the pic only to be dragged away by the Missus and kids! Will have to venture inside next time.

Agree Whitby does look nice - featured on a Hairy Bikers episode watched the other evening. Almost visited last month for a few days but chose York instead. Beautiful city of course but ruined for me by the plethora of shops selling Harry Potter/magic and similar tat and the hoards of tourists queing to buy it. Trust Whitby isn't overrun by 'ghost' themed stuff...

Question though - Does Alex own another shop selling jet and other jewellery?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Agree Whitby does look nice - featured on a Hairy Bikers episode watched the other evening. Almost visited last month for a few days but chose York instead. Beautiful city of course but ruined for me by the plethora of shops selling Harry Potter/magic and similar tat and the hoards of tourists queing to buy it. Trust Whitby isn't overrun by 'ghost' themed stuff...

Question though - Does Alex own another shop selling jet and other jewellery?
    No it’s not overrun with ghost type stuff or tourists the way York is, although you do get an element of that of course. There’s a few places that feature Dracula stuff as Bram Stoker wrote most of the book while staying in Whitby and the harbour is where the Count arrives when he gets to England. I find Whitby just as pleasurable on a wet autumn day as a hot summers one as it’s quieter and the gloomyness adds to the character of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    No it’s not overrun with ghost type stuff or tourists the way York is, although you do get an element of that of course. There’s a few places that feature Dracula stuff as Bram Stoker wrote most of the book while staying in Whitby and the harbour is where the Count arrives when he gets to England. I find Whitby just as pleasurable on a wet autumn day as a hot summers one as it’s quieter and the gloomyness adds to the character of the place.
    Thanks, will definitely be visiting before too long.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I got my 233 from there. Fab service and I often nose the site.

Another "vote"! for me.

I got a Datejust from there, a few months ago, great service.

It's nice to catch the steam train from Grosmont to Whitby and have a few hours to look round. Nice fish & chips too. Alex's shop well worth a look in.

I would never travel that far north but Al's shop does look smart.

Sold him a fair bit of stuff in the past, he's a great bloke to deal with.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I was there last month and didn’t realise that Alex had a shop there. There is a CW Sellors and Mr Sellors also owns a restaurant in the town.

Ha Ha Mrs L has been talking about returning to Whitby, it was our first weekend away together more than 30 years ago...she won't suspect a thing!

Alex also has the ramsdens on the other side of the bridge,also well stocked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked in the window a few times ,always had nice stuff in .
    Never knew it was one of our own . Not found the other shop ?

Craftsman
    Whitby is less than an hours drive from me and my wife was born and raised in the town. And I never even knew this shop existed until I saw this thread! I’ll definitely have a look in the window next time I’m there. And I would agree with the previous poster, Whitby is best enjoyed in the winter when the fish and chips taste nicer and the pubs are warmer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Stock always looks really good from what I've seen on instagram. I live nowhere near Whitby but they sponsor a couple of boxers I follow on instagram so always see it popping up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used to fish off the pier with a hand real and sinker when I was a kid (no money for a rod and reel).

It was so fierce at times that they closed the pier off (even for the adults) as you could easy be washed away.

The chip shops would give us free bags of scraps when we didn't have money for chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    And I never even knew this shop existed until I saw this thread!
    I thought the same. I've just had a look on Google maps and it doesn't seem to exist on there either, on a 2021 dated street view. I can only imagine that the shop is very new?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I used to fish off the pier with a hand real and sinker when I was a kid (no money for a rod and reel).

It was so fierce at times that they closed the pier off (even for the adults) as you could easy be washed away.

The chip shops would give us free bags of scraps when we didn't have money for chips.
    that's taking me back. We used to fish off the pier with very basic equipment, even did some night fishing back in the day (in most weathers barring heavy storms) which is certainly an experience when you're young. Scraps from the chippy as well. I still haven't found anywhere that offers better fish and chips than Whitby.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I thought the same. I've just had a look on Google maps and it doesn't seem to exist on there either, on a 2021 dated street view. I can only imagine that the shop is very new?
    Been there for a good few years, was called Ramsden’s previously before this rebranding, Google never reliable or a friend.
    Alex is a great chap and he and his wife done a great job during lockdowns with the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Dealt with Al a few times, you will struggle to find a better guy to buy from!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    that's taking me back. We used to fish off the pier with very basic equipment, even did some night fishing back in the day (in most weathers barring heavy storms) which is certainly an experience when you're young. Scraps from the chippy as well. I still haven't found anywhere that offers better fish and chips than Whitby.
    The taste of salt on your lips from the sea spray blowing in when its windy.

Agree about the fish and chips,I wonder if anyone still asks for scraps in todays world.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The taste of salt on your lips from the sea spray blowing in when its windy.

Agree about the fish and chips,I wonder if anyone still asks for scraps in todays world.
    They definitely do!

Craftsman
    Bought a few pieces from Alex myself. Great guy to deal with and have a chat to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind comments.

Craftsman
    I was just n Whitby for the weekend, great place and always buzzing whenever you visit.
    I alway visit Alex's shop.
    Love the new image and has some great stock in.
    The staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Tried this beauty on and was so tempting but we have the big 30 wedding anniversary coming up next year so need to hold off!!

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gee252 View Post
    I was just n Whitby for the weekend, great place and always buzzing whenever you visit.
    I alway visit Alex's shop.
    Love the new image and has some great stock in.
    The staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Tried this beauty on and was so tempting but we have the big 30 wedding anniversary coming up next year so need to hold off!!

Sent from my M2002J9G using Tapatalk
    Glad to hear it :) Please pop in next time your in Whitby. I will pass on your kind words to Michael and Brooke.

Merry Xmas.

Should have left with that Turquoise Dial OP.

Didn't realise it was Alex, interact with them on Instagram a bit, shop looks ace!

Craftsman
    I think I got my 16610LV from this guy-previously Ramsdens? Great service if the same.

Been on the site a few times today hoping for a boxing day offer!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurasOtherHalf View Post
    I think I got my 16610LV from this guy-previously Ramsdens? Great service if the same.

Yes, that’s me :) Thanks for your kind words :) I hope you are enjoying the sub.
    Last edited by alexaff; 10th January 2022 at 22:21.

I popped in over New Year too, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, great selection of really nice watches too. Great little shop Alex.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKARM View Post
    Should have left with that Turquoise Dial OP.

Yes, you should ;)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I popped in over New Year too, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, great selection of really nice watches too. Great little shop Alex.
    That’s great Jason, thanks for popping in. I’ll pass on your feedback to the staff :)

I am hoping to pop in while we are in Yorkshire in July

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RogDen View Post
    I am hoping to pop in while we are in Yorkshire in July

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Please do- Always nice to meet a fellow TZ member for some watch talk :)