closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help - need to get a home EV charger installed pronto, who to use and what do I want?

Help - need to get a home EV charger installed pronto, who to use and what do I want?

I need TZ collective wisdom on this one, as I have been looking online and am frankly baffled. I have a new plug-in hybrid coming in three weeks, so need to move on this fast.

I have tried calling a couple of local installers, but nobody has come back to me. I am with Ovo Energy - who seem to offier some kind of service, but I haven't yet contacted them.

The installation will be very simple indeed - no issues at all, but I do want a fairly small / narrow charger as that will fit the location best.

What I really want is a reliable service, who will come to site and do the full installation when booked, with the right charger and no mucking about. I don't mind paying for something decent, but I really don't need to overspec this either - the car is a Range Rover Sport P400e - so has a relatively small battery that should cover local miles and my commute. I just want to be able to pull up, plug it in, and forget about it. I think a tethered charger may be the most suitable?

Any and all advice welcome on this, and especially some names of suppliers/installers that people have had good experiences with. Ideally I just want to ring them up, place the order, and they come to site when agreed and fit it asap.

Thanks in advance!
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    Where roughly are you as that will impact recommendations for installers

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post
    Where roughly are you as that will impact recommendations for installers

Central Bedfordshire, near Ampthill.

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Master
    I don't know if I'm OT here but BP Pulse was getting a right slagging on Watchdog the other night.

Craftsman
    In terms of the charger itself Andersen are the best looking and are rectangular which may suit what you want

I had a Zappi installed by Charlie at SuperiorEV - not sure if he would cover your area but he was very efficient and the experience was what you want

https://www.superiorevchargingsolutions.co.uk/

Normally TZ is the fount of all wisdom, but the paucity of responses on this thread is a bit of a surprise and a worry!

I know a number of you have electric cars now - can I ask who you got your chargers installed by?

I had my charger installed over six years ago now so can’t really help with the current situation.

With your requirements though, just using a granny charger on a three pin socket should suffice almost indefinitely, or at least until you find something you’re happy with.

Master
    Details of companies authorised, by the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV), under the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS).

YOu need to use these to get the discount on installation of a "smart" home charger

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...sed-installers

Morgans Electrical Ltd Ampthill MK45 2RH
    MP Electrical Services (Ampthill). Ampthill MK45 2GH
    Last edited by J J Carter; 2nd October 2021 at 14:14.

Beware some need earthing so an earth spike fitted. We are just about to start selling this https://postimg.cc/gallery/vnqNxXt
    A simple quite easy install. Just like fitting an outside socket to be honest. Charges all ev.
    Andy

Someone in our road is having an charger installed. Their electricity supply had to be unlooped prior to the installation. That required a significant amount of digging on the part of the electricity company.

Thanks JJ Carter - that is very helpful. I will give them a try.

Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Beware some need earthing so an earth spike fitted. We are just about to start selling this https://postimg.cc/gallery/vnqNxXt
    A simple quite easy install. Just like fitting an outside socket to be honest. Charges all ev.
    Andy
    How much are you selling those for Andy, my daughter has been using her granny charger on a three pin outside socket since buying her house last year? I keep meaning to fit her a 32amp box as the house is wired for an EV charger (although on the opposite side of the house to where the parking is!) and this may fit the Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Andy
    That is one of the models I am looking at as well, so I would appreciate a price as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    How much are you selling those for Andy, my daughter has been using her granny charger on a three pin outside socket since buying her house last year? I keep meaning to fit her a 32amp box as the house is wired for an EV charger (although on the opposite side of the house to where the parking is!) and this may fit the Bill.
    £575. Easy job for any sparky tbh. They are 7.5kw so fast charge. App enabled to stop the neighbours using it when your not there. Lol

Ha I was on the phone to Boss13 for about half an hour the other week trying to figure this out too.

Seems to be no clear answer anywhere you look. No charger yet but in the end I just copied what he did. Not helpful for you of course, sorry!

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Not sure if this is of interest i.e. the unit with the commando socket.

https://www.ohme-ev.com/octopus-offe...SAAEgJ3w_D_BwE

B

Journeyman
    Do you really need a home charging point with a PHEV? I’ve got at Audi A3 tsfie and we’ve not bothered as you can charge it just fine with an extension cable and a normal outlet. We are getting an IX3 in the next few weeks so will either get a Pod Point or Hypervolt (which have very good reviews).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mhocking View Post
    Do you really need a home charging point with a PHEV? I’ve got at Audi A3 tsfie and we’ve not bothered as you can charge it just fine with an extension cable and a normal outlet. We are getting an IX3 in the next few weeks so will either get a Pod Point or Hypervolt (which have very good reviews).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes surely just a simple waterproof outside socket plugged in on the other side of the wall to a standard 13A socket would work for the RRS ?
    At work for the past 2 years we've just put the lead through the letter box into the standard socket in the hallway.

Thanks for all the replies and advice - very helpful and plenty to think about.

I have a much better understanding of the options now as a result.

Thanks again.

TFB

Master
    I'm in Ireland so can't help with installation but you may as well get a proper charger installed as you will most likely need it at some stage.

Neatest install will be an eo mini Pro untethered and keep the cable in your boot. Best looking tethered is Anderson, most popular tethered seems to be Zappi.

Enjoy the rr, my neighbour has one and seems to love it, gets around 35km on battery.

You deffo don’t need a charging point on the RR just run it off an outside plug socket as it’s range in electric is not really of much use

I run an i3 Rex and just top up at home each night of a phev extension I bought from wickes which runs out if my house and under the gate into the drive
    It’s as simple as that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    You deffo don’t need a charging point on the RR just run it off an outside plug socket as it’s range in electric is not really of much use
    It's definitely of use - about 25miles which is my daily round-trip commute. That is why I've bought it.

For anything longer, I'll just use the petrol engine.

Key for me is convenience. A quick charge will be useful for local evening and weekend trips. I will consider whether a standard socket might be sufficient though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    13 amp socket ideally should be on its own circuit and switched thro a spur inside the building.It will be slow charging.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    It's definitely of use - about 25miles which is my daily round-trip commute. That is why I've bought it.

For anything longer, I'll just use the petrol engine.

Key for me is convenience. A quick charge will be useful for local evening and weekend trips. I will consider whether a standard socket might be sufficient though.
    I’m not up to speed on the RR hybrid battery size or max charging speeds? Is it 12.4kWh and 7.2kW?

A ‘full fat’ 7.2kW charger would be useful future proofing anyway, and would mean you could charge the battery for local use in around 2 hours.

I’d recommend forgoing the partially grant funded option if you need something quickly, and going for an Ohme 32A Commando plugged unit.

A standard electrician will likely be able to install a 32A switched CEEFORM socket for you to plug it into easily enough. I’m hearing that the grant install outfits have quite the waiting lists, months in some cases.

For what it’s worth, I have found a 32A tethered charger very helpful for running my XC90 PHEV - two things it offers which the 13A plug one doesn’t: scheduled charging via the Volvo app; and it will charge the battery from flat to full within a couple of hours. The former is good for cheaper power, the latter helpful especially at the moment, when all the local petrol stations are still like something out of Mad Max…

We had capacity in our supply and consumer unit, so had a local electrician install a dedicated 32A circuit with the necessary protection in the consumer unit. Then he installed a Rolec Wallpod “dumb” charger with a 10M cable. Not a thing of great beauty but it’s tucked around the side of the house and it’s nice and compact, which is what we needed. We obviously didn’t get the government grant but the cost worked out about the same as we’d have spent with an “approved EV installer”, without the long lead times they quoted.

I used a local electician to install a Garo 2 headed wall box which will load share if we end up with 2 EVs. It is a big old box however.

I forgoed the grant and the checks that entails and it was installed within a few days.

Claiming the VAT back made up for much of the grant anyway.

My Wallbox has been waiting install by Smarthome charge (who have been very responsive) since May due to needing surveys by them, the DNO etc. so if you are in a hurry it is probably worth using a local electrician and choosing something the disty has in stock.

Although if you are using a plug in Hybrid, whilst the extra speed will be useful for 25 miles of range 3 pin would probably work ffine overnight ? I don't know the rate of charge for this sort of car, but my Tesla charges at 6 mph via 3pin plug.
    Last edited by MB2; 5th October 2021 at 13:28.

Interestingly, I have tried the two local electricians listed in a post above, by leaving phone messages and sending emails and had literally zero response from either.

Has anyone used some larger national installers for this? And can recommend?

I am truly suprised at just how difficult it seems to be to get a charger fitted given the rapid growth in electric vehicles. Other people are clearly managing it, I have no idea why I am finding this so challenging!

I bought an Andersen as I thought it was the nicest looking unit and it didn't need an earthing rod, then got a sparky I trust to fit it.

https://andersen-ev.com/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Interestingly, I have tried the two local electricians listed in a post above, by leaving phone messages and sending emails and had literally zero response from either.

Has anyone used some larger national installers for this? And can recommend?

I am truly suprised at just how difficult it seems to be to get a charger fitted given the rapid growth in electric vehicles. Other people are clearly managing it, I have no idea why I am finding this so challenging!
    I think the Nationals are busy, it’s a conveyor belt system and wait times are quite long.

There’s an electrician posts on one of the EV forums I’m on, he said he usually gets 2 or 3 enquiries in over a weekend. On the first weekend of the fuel crisis he turned his phone off at 40+ messages about fitting an EV charger, he’s been overwhelmed. No excuse for not getting back to you though.

It’s partly the reason I got a local electrician to fit a commando socket to plug an Ohme unit into, it was a long cable run required which the National installers wanted silly money for, and the install dates were months out.

Even going local it took about 3 weeks for the electrician to have a free slot.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I don't know if I'm OT here but BP Pulse was getting a right slagging on Watchdog the other night.
    great, waiting to hear back from them as the approved firm for a lot of manufacturers!

I ordered a Tesla at the weekend, so also need a charger.

The default option would have been Tesla's own and get my usual sparky to install, but neither he or the charger qualify for the £350 olev grant.

Given it's residential single phase, I assume the max I can get is a 7kwh job. Is there any real difference between any of them? As said above the Andersen is the nicest looking, but I don't know if there is any functional difference between them.

The Tesla button is really handy to have (press button on charger handle to open teh flap & start/stop charging) so I would be tempted by this feature.

Another way to get it is to buy a cable from evchargking which has the button built in (although uses a little battery rather than volts from the cable).

I went untethered and bought a cable from him in the end so could use with future EV as my Tesla doesn't have CCS port (Model S) and future car might need this.

If you do go the same route and need a 7m cable PM me as I now need a longer cable so have just ordered 12m from them so the 7m will be available.

I thought the latest Tesla Wallbox qualified as was smart, but given I have waited almost 6 months and still have the grant funded one in the box (due to DNO sluggishness) I would make sure when they can install whatever you choose if going that route.