closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paris-Roubaix this weekend. And the weather forecast is: lots of rain!

Blog Entries

Paris-Roubaix this weekend. And the weather forecast is: lots of rain!

No, it's not Easter. This year's Paris - Roubaix is this weekend!

I had a quick look at the Roubaix weather forecast for this Sunday and it's going to be wet. Very, very wet! This is worth a rainy Sunday afternoon in front of the TV!

Menno

looking forward to it, have ridden most of the course in the dry and the pavé is the size of bread loaves. i never want to ride it again, can’t imagine what it’s like in the wet, i’ll stick to the Belgian pavé! much more enjoyable to ride.

I'm really looking for forward to the men's AND the women's race.
    I'm away with my wife at the weekend so will have to watch it on catchup Monday evening.

The wet will turn it into a complete lottery. Having said that you don't get a weak rider winning it.

I'd like to seen Wout Van Aert being a bit more aggressive, his physique and power certainly lends itself to the course.

Master
    I don't understand how many cycling fans almost pray for a wet Paris - Roubaix?

Is it because they want to see carnage with lots of crashes? I hate seeing big crashes, or smaller individual ones, on dry races or in GT's etc and I don't like or want to see bad crashes on the cobbles...

Blog Entries
    I think that it has to do with the history of heroic races. People want to re-live that kind of PB’s perhaps(?)

About Wout van Aert: there was a big and serious dispute between WvA and last Sunday’s team mate Remco Evenepoel. WvA said that RE had not stocked to the plan last Sunday. RE reacted furiously!

Hopefully WvA will have his revenge!

Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately in the UK we only get a 1hr highlights show at midnight on Sunday. This is an amazing racing spectacle and it is a shame to not be able to watch it live.

Master
    Eurosport player will show it live and on demand afterwards - fiver a month i think. They show lots of races but you do have to put up with Carlton Kirby sometimes..

Or GCN, no idea if it’s cheaper than Eurosport. I switch between the 2 whichever has a deal on for 12 months subscription

Craftsman
    Really looking forward to, unbelievably the 1st wet Paris Roubaix for 20 years.

My only hope is that the organisers don’t deem the conditions too dangerous and sanitise the race.

Bring it on

Master
    Can’t wait. Eurosport will be on all weekend for both races, and they are showing previous year’s highlights too.

We went to see it in 2018 - fantastic atmosphere.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately in the UK we only get a 1hr highlights show at midnight on Sunday. This is an amazing racing spectacle and it is a shame to not be able to watch it live.
    Live coverage starts at 09:40 on Eurosport 1 and goes on until 16:55.

Blog Entries
    I'm on the good side: Flemish TV is the best. Sadly, the two who do the comment, are retiring after this cycling season. So much knowledge, so much eye for detail. (On Dutch TV, there's someone who talks me into some sort of mental depression with his monotone voice).

Sporza is the Flemish counterpart of BBC Sport. They're putting on new videos about PB since Monday and short clips of the fearsome pavés, like Wallers (the forest, only open 1x/yr only for PB), Mons-en-Pévèle and Carrefour de l'Arbre.

Tomorrow, the 1st PB for women; 116.4 km, they do not go through Wallers' Forest but for the main part of their route, they will follow the 'normal' route. A number of male and female riders tell on Sporza that they fear this PB, but that they'll give it a try because it's the end of the season. So, why not? There will be no 'experience' on the bike: since it's the first wet PB since 2002 (19 yrs indeed!). Non of the current athletes have been in PB in the rain!

The female PB is on Sporza around 3PM and the male version in on TV around 1:30PM on Sunday. The latter is something special. It's common for Sporza to start broadcasting at 3PM.

M.

Master
    It was interesting to read Wout Van Aerts comments on 'Extra Time Koers' about the Worlds, Evenepoel and the prospect of a wet P-R. He is not looking forward to a wet race, despite his great bike handling skills.
    I think I would like maybe one of QuickSteps unsung riders to win, but it will be a real lottery on the wet pave..

Master
    Going back to a previous comment, I am intrigued to know how RE was supposed to have departed from the plan at the Worlds? When I was watching it, it seemed like he was doing a great job.

What was his role supposed to have been?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    Going back to a previous comment, I am intrigued to know how RE was supposed to have departed from the plan at the Worlds? When I was watching it, it seemed like he was doing a great job.

He should have waited until a later stretch of the stage. That was the plan. But, when he jumped, WvA and the others couldn't get in touch with him. Remember: no ear-phones during this event. And WvA also stated that the noise from the crowd was so intense, that it was unable to shout to a rider three meters in front!

The lack of coms screwed the Dutch female crew during the Olympics, during last weekend's WC and now also TeamBel. I think it's a good thing during these events. Pure racing. That makes Tom Pidcock's result even better: he doesn't have a team of other first-class riders around him. He's more or less always on his own! And he deals with it in a big way!!!

Master
    Got it, thanks for that.

I'd like to see race radio done away with, I'm sure it would improve the racing.

France 3 (public TV) will have live feeds tomorrow at 10:50 for one hour and then from 12:55 to 17:55 - CET, so one hour earlier in the UK. You should be able to watch it on the website, might need a VPN via France.

Here's a link to the website 'watch live' to test if it works

https://www.france.tv/france-3/direct.html

Master
    Yes, get in there !

Brilliant womens race!!

Cheers, Shaun

Master

Worth watching Chris Horner the butterfly effect. He breaks races down. Rule #1. Don't leave your leader. Remco should be there for the last 50km.

Master
    I'll have a look, thanks.

There are definitely strategies other than sticking with your leader though. For instance sending a man up the road, or covering breaks.

That is what it seemed Remco was doing, the commentators in fact praised him for this. So I was interested in how he had departed from the plan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Brilliant womens race!!

Cheers, Shaun
    Absolutely a fantastic race. Congrats to the winner (not spoiling here for those who still want to watch it!)

M.

Master
    I'll have a look, thanks.

There are definitely strategies other than sticking with your leader though. For instance sending a man up the road, or covering breaks.

That is what it seemed Remco was doing, the commentators in fact praised him for this. So I was interested in how he had departed from the plan.
    He is a strong rider but to have him tow the bunch from 170km out is pointless. Yes, in a break but even then he would be brought back. Sending Stuyvens up the road or in a break may be better. The French rode it superbly. The last rider piloted Alaphillippe perfectly and then gave him a launch pad to attack. That's when Remco should be ready. Van Aert couldn't or wouldn't chase Alaphillippe down.

Master

T

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Absolutely a fantastic race. Congrats to the winner (not spoiling here for those who still want to watch it!)

M.
    Those cobbles!! Covered in mud, just watching people go down makes me cringe but a race that dry or wet challenges the best. The 2014 tdf stage with Nibali was epic but just any Roubaix is worth a watch.

M.
    That was something special, never realised she could handle a bike like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Good technique https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video...aQs.mp4?tag=12

It certainly put the woman’s race on the calendar. It was such a shame that there wasn’t live coverage for the first set of cobbles.

Having the woman’s on the Saturday and mens on the Sunday will make this a go to race for spectators. Not that it wasn’t already!

I love Paris Roubaix. It’s a real badge of honour to even finish it let alone win it.

Cheers, Shaun

Blog Entries
    Dutch rider Van Vleuten broke her pubic bone in two spots and on top of that, her shoulder too.

Anyway, the current state of the cobbles. Pic was taken at 9:10AM local time... Looking at this picture, I would suggest that everyone who crosses the finish line without harm, is a winner today.

It's 257 km over 55km of 'pavé' (30 stretches). Big names for today WvA and MvdP. As far as I know, Tom Pidcock will not attend this year's P-B.

Last edited by thieuster; 3rd October 2021 at 08:48.

Master
    That looks....somewhat testing

Master
    only way I could navigate that is pushing the bike, preferably wearing wellies!
    ouch - poor AVV ! that is making me wince :(

the wet might make the abrasions less harmful but I hope the riders hit the grass and not the cobbles..

coverage starts at 09:40 on Eurosport Player.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Or GCN, no idea if it’s cheaper than Eurosport. I switch between the 2 whichever has a deal on for 12 months subscription
    Mrs T-7 works for Playsports Group, which own GCN. GCN+ Costs £6.99 per month which is the same as Eurosport or £39.99 per year whereas Eurosport is £59.99 per year.

The yearly subscription is a no brainer if you like live cycling. You can watch it on any of your devices or mirror it to your smart tv.

Master
    I should subscribe to GCN as I like their presenters and content and I have read that the documentaries are v good as well.

I have tried a few times to cancel my Eurosport monthly deal and sign up to the £20 a year special offer but it never seems to cancels my monthly DD..

Mind you I do occasionally like to look at some other sports on there....

excitement building now! nice comments from WVA just now about Lizzie :)

Blog Entries
    ... Team Delko will be wearing an iconic livery today: Hinault's La Vie Claire / Mondriaan livery. Nice!

... Team Delko will be wearing an iconic livery today: Hinault's La Vie Claire / Mondriaan livery. Nice!

An homage to Bernard Tapie?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    An homage to Bernard Tapie?
    I was thinking the same, but I cannot find info about that.

Flemish TV tells that Team Ineos has been on the P-R track for days, testing various tyres, tyre set-up (tubeless or not) and pressure in the tyres. As I write this, I see MvdP riding the cobbles without his hands on the handlebar...

Menno

EDIT: Wallers d' Arenberg up now. Again Flemish TV tells that all sorts of volunteers have been busy until a few moments ago to clear the track/make it ride-able for today. Despite that, they're tumbling one-by-one. WvA manages to steer away.

M
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd October 2021 at 13:56.

Master
    This race is bloody epic !
    Will Moscon survive out there ?

Pete
    Last edited by ptcoll; 3rd October 2021 at 16:35.

Craftsman
    It's brutal

Blog Entries
    What A Race!!!!

I think it's safe to say that this was 2021's finest cycling weekend!

Master
    wow - that was epic!

even though Moscon is / has been a bit of a d*ick its hard not to feel a bit sorry for him..

MvDP did too much work/Sonny was too canny :)
    Last edited by bry nylon; 3rd October 2021 at 16:26.

Master
    Woops !
    not sure how you embed a tweet - can someone advise or do the bizzo for me please?
    [img]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/ha68dUNLTB">pic.twitter.com/ha68dUNLTB</a></p>&mdash; Cycling out of context (@OutOfCycling) <a href="https://twitter.com/OutOfCycling/status/1444687128890335234?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 3, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]
    Last edited by bry nylon; 3rd October 2021 at 16:59.

Journeyman
    Was away for the weekend and recorded the race highlights ... managed to keep away from any spoilers and watched it yesterday ... what a race... Best race i have seen for a while and the rain just made it more watchable.
    The cyclists are just beasts ... chapeau to all of them