closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I am interested - what do you think of GPs in this country? (long read)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Punitive pension rules. Is this the one where you get "penalised" for having more than £1.25m in your pension pot?

I'll cry you a river after morning surgery. Might be 2pm before I can do that though
    Genuine question. What's the relevance of the £1.25m pension pot?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Punitive pension rules. Is this the one where you get "penalised" for having more than £1.25m in your pension pot?

I'll cry you a river after morning surgery. Might be 2pm before I can do that though

1.25m in your pension pot, I wish. What planet are you people on.30 years in the Military but last time I looked my pension pot wasn't 1.25million

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    1.25m in your pension pot, I wish. What planet are you people on.30 years in the Military but last time I looked my pension pot wasn't 1.25million
    ...but why 1.25m precisely? Is that some sort of glass ceiling?

TBF 1.25 m is worth what, around 50 to 70 k p.a., it's not exactly footballer wealth and the Doc's have earned it imho.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Yep, maximum lifetime allowance

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Yep, maximum lifetime allowance
    It's only the maximum if you want to avoid further tax charges etc.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

No - there are tax implications beyond.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Ah, is that because you would only get tax relief at basic rate?

So what...

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    So what...
    Exactly - one persons pension provision is their business.

Matters not what you, I or anybody else thinks, but my point was it's not a limit - rather a tapering of benefit due to taxation.

Exactly - one persons pension provision is their business.

Matters not what you, I or anybody else thinks, but my point was it's not a limit - rather a tapering of benefit due to taxation.
    Ah cheers chris...pensions not my thing.

Master
    Genuine question. What's the relevance of the £1.25m pension pot?
    1.25M was the old figure .It's now just over a million.
    As far as I know and I'm not an expert on it but due to my advancing years have looked at it. The figure is the point at which your superannuation pension pot is maxed out and your pension contributions after this are not tax deductable so basicaly if you are paying £500 a month in Superannuation previously that was seen as an expense and taken off your top line.
    After you max out the £500 would be taxable at your top rate.
    You are still adding to your pension but just not getting the same tax relief.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    TBF 1.25 m is worth what, around 50 to 70 k p.a., it's not exactly footballer wealth and the Doc's have earned it imho.
    I think the current max of just over a million equates to about 43K/year
    The bonus being that is from 60 yrs of age
    Take 5% off for every year taken early.
    Obviously a lump sum with the yearly figure.

Doc Martin is the Nation’s Favourite.
    It’s the only time you get to see a Doctor in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    1.25M was the old figure .It's now just over a million.
    Yeah I knew that the lifetime pension contribution allowance was £1,073,100, I just wondered whether Snowman’s £1,250,000 figure had any particular relevance.

You don't have a pension pot in the Armed Forces Pension Scheme, so what do you think you were looking at?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The armed forces pension is the only one that I have that was index linked. Mine is pitifully small though, barely paying the wine merchant’s bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I think the current max of just over a million equates to about 43K/year
    The bonus being that is from 60 yrs of age
    Take 5% off for every year taken early.
    Obviously a lump sum with the yearly figure.
    Got the makings of a fine plan I'd say...does a private pension impact whether or not there's the statey pension bonus on top...
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th October 2021 at 11:53.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    You don't have a pension pot in the Armed Forces Pension Scheme, so what do you think you were looking at?

R
    Er, yes you do and until I left in 2017 you get an annual statement outlining what it is. I'll refer you HERE and this is specifically about AFPS 2015 (which I wasn't part of) but you'll find hundreds of references if you search online.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Er, yes you do and until I left in 2017 you get an annual statement outlining what it is. I'll refer you HERE and this is specifically about AFPS 2015 (which I wasn't part of) but you'll find hundreds of references if you search online.
    It's not a pension 'pot' as in the amount you and your employer have contributed into though. Both schemes are defined benefits, in simple terms you'll get a percentage of years of service x salary and the amount the pension fund holds in a 'pot' is irrelevant to the individual. In the case of the NHS scheme though there is a lifetime allowance calculation based on defined benefit pension x 20 + lump sum = nominal 'pot' upon which tax is applied on any excess. AFAIK the AFPS has no lifetime allowance calculation and the only info any eligible member can determine is how much defined benefit annual pension they will be paid.
    In the case of personal pensions there certainly is a pot, being the amount you have contributed over the time you have held it along with the tax relief plus the growth of the fund over time.

Hence my response to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 16th October 2021 at 14:23.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It's not a pension 'pot' as in the amount you and your employer have contributed into though. Both schemes are defined benefits, in simple terms you'll get a percentage of years of service x salary and the amount the pension fund holds in a 'pot' is irrelevant to the individual.
    The only difference is that in terms of a private pension, it's paid into a 'pot' that is then invested along with many other people's pensions, in funds etc i.e. it's an amount that doesn't exist in isolation; it's an amount that has been contributed to by employer and employee to derive a total out of which the pension is paid. The military pension, to which the military individual doesn't directly contribute, is amassed in the same way to calculate an amount (AFPS 2015: 1/47 of salary for each year served) against which the pension is calculated. The difference is that this 'money' is never invested and the pension is paid from current taxation. The pot and tax rules apply equally to both.

Anyway, this is way off topic; back to GPs.
    Last edited by Skier; 16th October 2021 at 14:43.

Very pleased with my surgery.

Called up for our flu jabs yesterday and booked in at the same time for our Covid boosters at the end of the month.

If we need an appointment can always get one the same day.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My sort of doctor.

R

Booked a 'medication review' for my mother today. After waiting more than an hour on the phone made a telephone appointment for 22nd December - the earliest they had. Christ knows why they're so useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Booked a 'medication review' for my mother today. After waiting more than an hour on the phone made a telephone appointment for 22nd December - the earliest they had. Christ knows why they're so useless.
    Perhaps this might shed some light on why they're so useless?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1912582.html

R

NHS experience varies from person to person i feel, including GP`s.

Seems to vary from "best thing since sliced bread" to "negligent beyond belief"

Blog Entries
    The whole interaction between GP’s and their patients had moved since lockdown and the Covid pandemic and IMO will never be the same forget what was and hopefully get the best out of the new order.
    If i was lucky enough to have real money forget the poncy watch or car i would get a private GP
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I don't know where you live, but in Scotland you could get a medications review with a pharmacist in Boots when I asked a few years ago. I have no reason to think that won't still be in place now.

I am interested - what do you think of GPs in this country? (long read)

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    I don't know where you live, but in Scotland you could get a medications review with a pharmacist in Boots when I asked a few years ago. I have no reason to think that won't still be in place now.
    Live in Essex and the review has recently always been with a pharmacist based at the practice (maybe a doctor further in the past). Interesting though, I'll investigate but doubt another pharmacist could do it (esp. online which is easiest for us).

Edit - Thinking further, when collecting my own medication the pharmacy staff (Boots) will sometimes point out I need a review before next time but never suggest they do one.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 22nd October 2021 at 15:49.

My last medications review, prior to Covid, was face to face with a NHS Pharmacist, but could have easily been done online as there was no physical interaction.

I fail to see how a random pharmacist can review your prescribed medications with a view to recommending alterations without access to your actual medical records & history. Your oral summary may not be accurate. Happy to be corrected if it is possible to do so.

[As I can't resist: what if the pharmacist is wearing shoes?]
    ______

​Jim.

I would imagine that the patient might have more idea what is wrong with them, for what they have been prescribed the drugs, than there is a hope of a possibly locum GP reading often copious notes where ilness and disease may go back decades in the length of an appointment. My experience of pharmacists is that they are a cautious bunch. If there is any dount you get referred back to the GP.

Craftsman

R
    Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realise. FFS it still won't payout 1.25m if I live until I'm 200.

Blog Entries

My sort of doctor.

R
    Just tell them you're on strike because the government had the nerve to tell you that you should see patients.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    So here is a little snippet. A&E attendance in our Hospital is up from a max two years ago of around 380, to now over 500 a day, reason, a high percentage are from patients who don't need A&E, but can't get to see a GP. Those patients get seen and sent home, no admission required. Go figure, maybe one reason why GPs are so popular at the moment.

Blog Entries
    So here is a little snippet. A&E attendance in our Hospital is up from a max two years ago of around 380, to now over 500 a day, reason, a high percentage are from patients who don't need A&E, but can't get to see a GP. Those patients get seen and sent home, no admission required. Go figure, maybe one reason why GPs are so popular at the moment.
    Before I changed surgeries, I was once told the earliest appointment would be 10 days away. When I said I was worried about something, was there anything earlier, the receptionist said if I was that worried I should go to A&E. It's been happening for a while now.

I would imagine that the patient might have more idea what is wrong with them, for what they have been prescribed the drugs, than there is a hope of a possibly locum GP reading often copious notes where ilness and disease may go back decades in the length of an appointment. My experience of pharmacists is that they are a cautious bunch. If there is any dount you get referred back to the GP.
    Pharmacist - 'How long have you been taking the amiloride hydrochlorothiazide for?'

Patient - 'Is that the blue one, or the pink one? Is it white? Triangular? Is it for my stomach? My swollen ankles? My dandruff? The rash on my scrotum?'
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Pharmacist - 'How long have you been taking the amiloride hydrochlorothiazide for?'

Patient - 'Is that the blue one, or the pink one? Is it white? Triangular? Is it for my stomach? My swollen ankles? My dandruff? The rash on my scrotum?'
    If that was from one of the female patients where you live they’ve got bigger problems!

Master

R
    A lot of government departments write to their employees every year advising them what their pension will be if they resign today. It also often stated something like - "you would need £X in a private pension pot to receive a pension the same as we are giving you.

It was nicknamed the golden handcuff letter because it made a lot of public workers realise how good their pension was and as such, it made sense not to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    A lot of government departments write to their employees every year advising them what their pension will be if they resign today. It also often stated something like - "you would need £X in a private pension pot to receive a pension the same as we are giving you.

It was nicknamed the golden handcuff letter because it made a lot of public workers realise how good their pension was and as such, it made sense not to leave.
    I expect the '£X' was a very high figure and I've no doubt it was accurate comparison.

R

Craftsman
    Sorry, but GPs whining about how people perceive them is a joke. If this thread was a cry for sympathy, then my view is just do your bloody job, the job you signed up for and get paid very well for. Stop whining about how much you do and try and see what the rest of us do for the same salary. You are paid for and paid very well for what you are trained for. As I said earlier, our hospital attendance has increased and is putting pressure on A&E because patients can not get anywhere near their GP. So no sympathy from here, useless is my perception. And myself and my whole family are NHS

Divide and rule seems to be working.

Government 1 - Plebs 0

There’s some interesting data in this report. A&E attendance, emergency A&E attendance, 10 year trends, before COVID, during COVID, now, numbers of doctors and medical staff.

https://researchbriefings.files.parl...1/CBP-7281.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Divide and rule seems to be working.

Government 1 - Plebs 0
    Winning

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    There’s some interesting data in this report. A&E attendance, emergency A&E attendance, 10 year trends, before COVID, during COVID, now, numbers of doctors and medical staff.

From your link…

“…Face-to-face appointments
    Data is recorded on the ‘mode’ of appointments in general practice (e.g. face-to-face, telephone). Prior to the pandemic, around 84% of appointments were face-to-face. This fell to around 50% in the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic. After rising back to 60% before the January 2021 national lockdown, it fell again. As of August 2021, 59.4% of appointments were recorded as being face-to-face….”

That’s quite a drop.
    Meanwhile throughout the pandemic supermarket staff saw people ‘face to face’.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

A couple of things I gleaned from the above document:

Number of GPs has remained constant (slight drop - the data doesn’t show the 2011 figures)

Number of hospital doctors has risen almost 30k - close to a third over same period

The UK population had grown 6.25% over that period - 64M to 68M

The number of over 65s has grown from 10.4M to 12M in the same period: 15%

Does this not suggest that the supply of GPs has fallen behind the demand for their services?

Jake

Comparing the interaction between supermarket staff and their customers to GP's with their patients...

R

My cashier has never asked me to lay on my side facing the wall with my knees up....

Master
    Blog Entries
    My cashier has never asked me to lay on my side facing the wall with my knees up....
    I long for my cashier to ask me to cough.

Blog Entries
    Comparing the interaction between supermarket staff and their customers to GP's with their patients...

R
    Simply that both see people face to face. Or used to in one case. That's it. Nothing more implied...