closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing my classic cars - first view for a replacement

Blog Entries

Replacing my classic cars - first view for a replacement

I've already written about the sale of my Porsche 914 and my TR3A is currently for sale as well (anybody interested in a very, very good LHD TR3A?).

I'm simply selling because I want something different. And I've asked here for suggestions. The easiest choice would be another Saab 96 (my 4th in 40 yrs...), but I've never owned a Volvo!
    Earlier this week I came across a 1969 142 with a single Stromberg carb. The slow version, so to speak. The seller's garage was on somewhat 'en route' between Amsterdam and my home address and after a in-and-out trip to Amsterdam this morning, I figured it would be nice to have a look at the 142.

I phoned the seller and he told me that the car was dry and inside. Had it been in the rain, I would not even have taken the detour.

What was good? Well, every single bill and paper came with the car. The whole history from 1968 up until the day the previous owner handed the keys to the current seller. The car is unmolested. It even has its original paint on most places. I do think that the lower part had a respray in the past, because it looked better than the paint on the roof - that's faded and polished away. I like the fact that it's unmolested. The engine ran beautifully, but the carb needs attention (Stromberg...). I was quite enthusiastic when I left the seller's.

I know that I shouldn't fall for the first car that I see, but I'll return with the men from the workshop for a very thorough examination within a week or two!

Dark blue with parchment-white leather. Volvo's colour code is #96, referred to as 'Pacific Blue/Royal Blue'.

Last edited by thieuster; 29th September 2021 at 18:18.

That's in remarkably good condition to my eye. The size of the inner wings in the engine bay is quite simething too!

That is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That's in remarkably good condition to my eye. The size of the inner wings in the engine bay is quite simething too!
    By the law of averages, the first car you see is sometimes the best.

That one looks in fantastic condition and if it’s whet you want then go for it. You know you can sort the carb out and I’m guessing you’re planning to put the updated one on?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    By the law of averages, the first car you see is sometimes the best.
    When I was looking for a TR6 in 2000 I bought the first one I looked at because it was such a good car, I could tell it was worth buying even though it was a tad expensive. Turned out to be a very good buy and I sometimes wish I’d kept it.

This Volvo reminds me of a car owned by a friend around 1980/81, that was an automatic with mechanical fuel injection and reputedly produced 125bhp. I drove it a couple of times and it certainly drove nicely by the standards of the day.

Blog Entries
    I haven't driven it (yet) and the same goes for inspecting the body's lower side (sills, wheel arches). I did notice that the wiring loom is unmolested and a quick look at the fuses in the box showed normal Amp rates. Don't get me started on why I'm so keen on inspecting that so early in the process! The aftermarket lighting is even installed with a relay. Always a sign of proper maintenance.

I spoke to the guys in the workshop. We're extremely busy at the moment. No way that we're going to have a look at the car during working hours. Perhaps the second weekend of October, certainly not sooner.

This car is the one with the single Stromberg. Not the fastest car on the block. But I have other priorities when it comes to upgrading: an M41 gearbox - that is the one with the Laycock De Normanville overdrive- is more likely to find it's way into the car. And, tbh... when I start upgrading it would be nice to think about Mikuni carbs!

M.

Last edited by thieuster; 29th September 2021 at 22:46.

I have a couple of those gearboxes Menno, if that would help. I was thinking of trying to adapt them to go behind a 1½ Riley engine. Mind you, I don't suppose there is any difficulty finding them on your side of the Great Divide.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I have a couple of those gearboxes Menno, if that would help. I was thinking of trying to adapt them to go behind a 1½ Riley engine. Mind you, I don't suppose there is any difficulty finding them on your side of the Great Divide.

Who knows! Perhaps a nice trip to the UK for that. Oh well, first let's see if the car is worth it.

M.

Blog Entries
    As I said: 'the easiest choice is a Saab 96'. So I went out for a viewing this morning.

On the picture, the car looked great. In real life, there couldn't be a more worse car for that money. Expensive and painted in the desert, so to speak... Apart from that, the mechanical parts need overhauling as well!

Easy check on an old Saab: start the cold engine and immediately after it runs, turn it off again. Then turn the key again and wait for the oil pressure switch to come 'on' again. The longer it takes, the better the oil pressure (and engine) is. This car's oil pressure light came 'on' immediately again...

This was a 'walk away and don't turn back' viewing.

Last edited by thieuster; 30th September 2021 at 13:45.

Master
    I cant's say I like either of those 2 cars...at all, sorry. How about a Volvo Amazon? it's so much sleeker looking

It's good that you know your onions, and that you have access to the workshop and the expertise of your (ex) colleagues.
    I personal find the 142 a bit beige, although it was a great, modern car at the time. The Amazon appeals to me a lot more.
    The Saab is unique and I hope you find a good example.
    You may also want to look towards French cars of the era. Peugeot, with its 404 and 504 were very solid and the 404 is classy. The Renault Caravelle/Floride, based on the Dauphine, makes for a lovely little roadster, provided your expectations in terms of rigidity are not too high. I shall only mention the Citroen GS, because the others are either already very collectible and good ones will stretch the budget (ID, DS, Traction) or not really practical in modern traffic (2CV, Ami6/8). The GS is a rather ugly duckling but provides a comfort and a practicality that few modern cars achieve.
    The Simca Aronde, or a Panhard are interesting options too, but parts may be more difficult to source.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I haven't driven it (yet) and the same goes for inspecting the body's lower side (sills, wheel arches). I did notice that the wiring loom is unmolested and a quick look at the fuses in the box showed normal Amp rates. Don't get me started on why I'm so keen on inspecting that so early in the process! The aftermarket lighting is even installed with a relay. Always a sign of proper maintenance.

I spoke to the guys in the workshop. We're extremely busy at the moment. No way that we're going to have a look at the car during working hours. Perhaps the second weekend of October, certainly not sooner.

This car is the one with the single Stromberg. Not the fastest car on the block. But I have other priorities when it comes to upgrading: an M41 gearbox - that is the one with the Laycock De Normanville overdrive- is more likely to find it's way into the car. And, tbh... when I start upgrading it would be nice to think about Mikuni carbs!

M.

I’ve just picked up a couple of sets of mikunis, a set of Vm29s that I’ve sold (way too cheap apparently) but needed quite a bit of work and a set of Vm26s to fit to one of my GPzs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's good that you know your onions, and that you have access to the workshop and the expertise of your (ex) colleagues.
    I personal find the 142 a bit beige, although it was a great, modern car at the time. The Amazon appeals to me a lot more.
    The Saab is unique and I hope you find a good example.
    You may also want to look towards French cars of the era. Peugeot, with its 404 and 504 were very solid and the 404 is classy. The Renault Caravelle/Floride, based on the Dauphine, makes for a lovely little roadster, provided your expectations in terms of rigidity are not too high. I shall only mention the Citroen GS, because the others are either already very collectible and good ones will stretch the budget (ID, DS, Traction) or not really practical in modern traffic (2CV, Ami6/8). The GS is a rather ugly duckling but provides a comfort and a practicality that few modern cars achieve.
    The Simca Aronde, or a Panhard are interesting options too, but parts may be more difficult to source.
    Funny you mention the Caravelle! Yesterday evening, I discussed that model with a friend of mine who knows (closely) certain well-known people in Monaco and he talked about Princess Grace driving her Caravelle. It has been years since I talked/wrote about this model and now 2x within 24 hrs!

The GS is wonderful. We (my parents, that is) used to have one. They bought it new in 1970. One of the first sold here in The Netherlands. Superior ride! But so expensive when it comes to repairing (hour rate). Same goes for the ID/DS. It's one of the most beautiful cars ever made and way, way ahead of its time!

You are right about the Panhard and Simca. Parts, parts, parts.... I do love their shape, though. The 404 was also on my (long)list but it dropped off because of the driving position. Somehow, I don't like that - same goes for certain Alfas.

Not on the list yet, a Borgward. Not the coupé. These are way to expensive. But a sedan would be nice!

M

Blog Entries
    And then, this morning, I found pics of this in my inbox of this car. Only 20 mins from where I live. I've spoken to the seller and we have an appointment on Monday morning.

Bullnose Saab 95, 1964. Originally sold to a Swedish customer high above the Polar Circle *). Only 72k kms in total during it's life. The car stayed in North Sweden until last year. Then it was imported into the Netherlands and turned into what it is today.

I'm more or less swept of my feet with this. I hope that it is as good as it looks on the pics! For now, I'm busy gathering info about t/strokes...

*) When you're after a Scandinavian car: further north is always a better car. Less rust. No salt on the roads during the winter. Salt doesn't work with temps lower than -12C.

Craftsman
    My dad had a 1971 Volvo 144 S when I was a lad in the mid 70's. Had the same wheels and steering wheel as this one, and as I remember it didn't have a traditional speedometer, rather it had a horizontal gauge where the speedo needle used to slide across from left to right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishExpat View Post
    My dad had a 1971 Volvo 144 S when I was a lad in the mid 70's. Had the same wheels and steering wheel as this one, and as I remember it didn't have a traditional speedometer, rather it had a horizontal gauge where the speedo needle used to slide across from left to right.
    That was an early model then. I think they changed that with the introduction of the first thick, black bumpers.

Blog Entries
    About the Bullnose Saab: I found a lot of information through the UK Saabs forum. Great bunch of people there! With the help of a few forumites there, I managed to get in contact with the person who restored it! It won the Swedish Car Day Trophy back in 2010 and since then, thing have been improved. I know that there's a rebuilt engine installed etc. Downside is the paintwork on the roof. That needs to be addressed.

Saab aficionados and those who know the character of the 2 stroke have tried -succesfully- to talk me out of a 'stoker'. "Every trip is an adventure, like being part of an exciting book..." I don't mind tinkering, but I hate it when a car has a will of its own!

Menno