closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Failed login notification on my tz-uk account

Hybrid View

Failed login notification on my tz-uk account

I received an email this afternoon to tell me that my tz-uk account had been locked because someone had tried (incorrectly) 5 times to put in a password. It was not me. The email told me what IP address was used for this.

What should I do? Now it is unlocked again, but should I be taking security precautions? They don’t seem to have hacked my password and I can’t see that they have posted anything in my name. Is there any point in trying to track down the IP address and, if so, how?

Thanks for any tips and sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm no computer security expert, but in light of a few TZers having their accounts hacked in the past, I would make sure I had a very secure password - the sort with a variety of numbers, upper and lower case letters and some 'special' characters.

Sometimes this is Tapatalk I think.

Worth checking something like https://whois.domaintools.com/ to see if the IP was vaguely local, at least UK.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    I received an email this afternoon to tell me that my tz-uk account had been locked because someone had tried (incorrectly) 5 times to put in a password. It was not me. The email told me what IP address was used for this.

What should I do? Now it is unlocked again, but should I be taking security precautions? They don’t seem to have hacked my password and I can’t see that they have posted anything in my name. Is there any point in trying to track down the IP address and, if so, how?

Thanks for any tips and sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks

Ben

What was the IP address?

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    What was the IP address?

Amsterdam

That was Daddel.

https://iplocationtools.com/212.187.124.203
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

On a serious note, unless you posted your email somewhere on the forum, I find these hacking attempts puzzling. Obviously there are many email/password combinations from the various data hacks in circulation and I can see how it is tempting for people to try these on various sites, knowing that many people will still use the same password across a number of sites. However, as TZ-UK to the best of my knowledge does not accept email addresses but only user names, it is difficult to see how the email/password combo could be matched to your user ID.

But then I do not believe in coincidence, it's not like those people just take a random user and try five random passwords - they must have something in their possession why they are targeting you. Was there a security incident at another forum/site where you are using the same user name? Any other way to link your username with your email?

In any case, a good idea to change your password.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I see that ip address appears on three blacklists but is not on 50+ others. I'm never sure about the significance of an ip appearing on just a few blacklists, anyone know about these things?

Are you sure it’s not your own IP? Sometimes Tapatalk does that.

Both methods have strengths and weaknesses, and if used correctly they are both impenetrable to attack by almost all hostile actors. The problems occur when users compromise that integrity such as by repeating passwords across multiple sites, using 'random' words that have specific relevance to themselves or using a poorly protected vault.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Right, I’ve just finished changing all my passwords to correcthorsebatterystaple.

Dunno what I’d do without this place sometimes 👍

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Right, I’ve just finished changing all my passwords to correcthorsebatterystaple.

Dunno what I’d do without this place sometimes 
    I'd still write it down somewhere just in case. The last page of a notebook is safe, nobody ever thinks to look there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'd still write it down somewhere just in case. The last page of a notebook is safe, nobody ever thinks to look there.
    I’m thinking I could add some more bits-and-pieces of hen trophies by doing mirror writing, or invisible ink.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    ...bits-and-pieces of hen trophies...
    I'm going to be using that.