closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The fuel crisis, old cars, and my future happiness.

The fuel crisis, old cars, and my future happiness.

I am due to spend this coming weekend with fellow Riley owners at a hotel near Belper, Derbyshire.

Surprisingly I was able to fill with petrol today in Manchester, without queuing. So I have a tankful; that will comfortably see me there and around the attractions that we are scheduled to visit.

However, I would need to fill again to ensure my return to Manchester, probably on the Monday morning.

So, fellow virtual drinkers, does anyone in here frequent that area? If so, how is the fuel situation? Having posed the question, I will ask again maybe Thursday, or before I set off on Friday morning.

I do have a Plan B - my modern which I also filled today with diesel; that is primed for at least 500 miles, so if I was twitchy about the fuel situation I would go in that, but obvs I would prefer to use the Riley.

Take the Riley, if you can’t find fuel just find a decent pub!

Grand Master
    I have the opposite dilemma, my MGB has 150 miles worth of petrol in but my everyday Jag has only around 100 miles of diesel and I have a couple of journeys planned that will knock that down to 50 miles left. Local filling station only had red diesel.......tempting!

Might end up tipping petrol out of the lawn mower to put in wifeys car.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Might end up tipping petrol out of the lawn mower to put in wifeys car.
    You might get better mileage if you get her to ride the lawn mower. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    You might get better mileage if you get her to ride the lawn mower. Just a thought.
    I'm not sure quite why this sentence is amusing but it is.

Unc, range anxiety is something you could do without. Take the modern. Slightly less fun but you can enjoy the other cars and relax all weekend.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Weather is not looking to good damaging winds and heavy rain, you may want to take the modern

Na go in the riley, do the rounds , if you cant get petrol on Monday, immobilise the car and call the recovery service ( which all classic car owners should be members of) to get you home LOL

Master
    Blog Entries
    No shortage of super, use that.

Just filled up in Manchester this afternoon and no queues whatsoever. No limits either.

If you have a look at the news websites, there is hardly any mention of the “crisis” not. It all seems to have dissipated when the Daily Mail only yesterday stated that this would last for at least a month!!!

It’s just an illustration of how much power the media have. If they can engineer a run on petrol, you’d best believe that they could engineer a run on the banks…

Diesel seems in shorter supply round here. Maybe vans/HGVs getting through it faster.

For completeness - not that I think anyone is really interested- let me state that as so often happens, fate has decided the outcome of this dilemma.

I had decided to go in the Riley (maybe its last trip under my ownership as I intend selling it soon) but while checking the things that classic cars need checking on a regular basis and before any lengthy trip I noticed cracks in the castings of the rear brake expanders.

So it is now banged up in my new workshop, stripped down. Under the circumstances I shall go in the Peugeot.