closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-18Q hand wobble when using the bezel?

PRS-18Q hand wobble when using the bezel?

Afternoon TZ,

A Precista PRS-18Q recently landed, and it's a rather nice thing. However, the minute hand wobbles quite a bit when rotating the bezel, the hour hand less so. Timekeeping does not appear to be impacted by it.

The question for you: do I need to get this looked at, or is it normal behaviour for a quartz movement when a firm detente bezel is rotated? I think it's a Ronda 715Li quartz.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WW8LcYTzbuY?feature=share

Mine went to a mate last year, the hands never wobbled when I had it and he hasn't said anything since so ...
    Last edited by number2; 28th September 2021 at 15:24.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    I’ve worked on a couple of these and I’ve never noticed this, but I’ve never looked for it! If the hr hand was wobbly I’d be more concerned that possibly the dial wasn’t seated correctly but that isn’t the case. Watches have very small wheels with relatively large clearances and backlash as they mesh together, this is particularly true for quartz movements and I wouldn’t be alarmed by this provided everything else is fine. If the hand was a loose fit on the cannon pinion it would've fallen off, I think this effect is simply due to the backlash between the teeth of the cannon pinion and the intermediate wheel. If the handsetting is OK that’s further evidence that there isn’t a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Afternoon TZ,

A Precista PRS-18Q recently landed, and it's a rather nice thing. However, the minute hand wobbles quite a bit when rotating the bezel, the hour hand less so. Timekeeping does not appear to be impacted by it.

The question for you: do I need to get this looked at, or is it normal behaviour for a quartz movement when a firm detente bezel is rotated? I think it's a Ronda 715Li quartz.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WW8LcYTzbuY?feature=share
    That doesn't look right, as though the movement isn't fixed into the case and so vibrates when the bezel is turned.

Master
    My quartz PRS-40 had a bit of wobble in the minute hand; perhaps 30 seconds of travel. Eddie told me it was normal so I stopped caring about it. I have a quartz Rotary that does the same thing. Most quartz watches don't do that in my experience, but I'm not really bothered by it.