closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Colourizing historical B/W pictures - The results are getting better and better!

Blog Entries

Colourizing historical B/W pictures - The results are getting better and better!

Maria Amaral has been mentioned her -and praised-in the past for her outstanding work of turning epic B/W pics into colour pics.

However, there's 'a new kid on the block': Swedish Julius Backman Jääskeläinen (Sounds Finnish, but according to sources, he's Swedish). He does great things. See for yourself on his Insta account:

https://www.instagram.com/julius.colorization/

Have a look at the pic of the member of the International Brigade (Spain, civil war). Robert Capa took the original B/W pic and somehow, Julius managed to create more 'depth' and detail into his colorized version.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 27th September 2021 at 19:24.

Master
    There are some phenomenal examples on YouTube of old cine film upscaled, digitally restored, colourised and converted to a higher frame rate using AI - almost like time travel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuP41ALx_Q

Some excellent work on this site:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ColorizedHistory/

Blog Entries
    The text is amazing as well! I didn't know this!!!

Chiune Sugihara was a Japanese diplomat who served as vice-consul for the Japanese Empire in Kaunas, Lithuania. During the Second World War, Sugihara helped thousands of Jews flee Europe by issuing transit visas to them so that they could travel through Japanese territory. Sugihara issued over 2,000 visas, which led at least twice as many people to safety. As many as 100,000 people today are the descendants of the recipients of Sugihara visas.

Craftsman

Dreadful. Who knows what the real colours and tones were? Did those people really all have skin the same colour and tone?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Dreadful. Who knows what the real colours and tones were? Did those people really all have skin the same colour and tone?
    Well they certainly weren't monochrome.

I think colourisation can really bring B&W images to life, which is not to downplay the intrinsic appeal of a well toned, well printed B&W photograph. I have mucked about with a couple of the online colouriser apps and the results have been hit and miss. But I was not taking that much time, and only working with on-line images. Taking plenty of time and using high-res images works now, and will surely improve as the apps are refined and developed.

Here's Kathleen Ferrier, the Contralto singer, in B&W and then processed through Colourise by Photomyne on Android. It's not perfect but far better than I could ever do manually in any photo editor.

^^ Looks brilliant!