closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erika’s Originals Marine Nationale Straps x 2

Master

Erika’s Originals Marine Nationale Straps x 2

Just received two of these straps through the post - brilliant and a bit of a game changer for me.

Last October some idiot hit me head on in a car, whilst I was on my bike resulting in a double compound fracture of my right arm and other associated nerve damage that goes with a high speed trauma injury to the arm.

So, the struggle has been having to do most jobs now left handed, I can’t wear a watch on my right wrist as the radius bone hasn’t been reset in the same position and I’ve lost pronation in my right arm. I’ve established bigger watches just don’t work for me anymore as I’ve found the case stack height and case diameter has an impact on my left wrist movements.

I lack finger, wrist and elbow strength in my right arm and the ligaments in my fingers and wrist are still very tight despite approaching 50 odd private Physiotherapy sessions. Plus I’ll be having to wear a compression glove and sleeve for quite a while longer.

I couldn’t do up or undo safely leather or rubber straps as the tail I struggled to feed through the buckle. Then the resistance of rubber on rubber (Panerai specific) was an issue trying to undo the straps themselves - despite buying 4 Submersible Accordion Rubbers - convincing myself I would be able to wear it one day.

I found Nato straps by far the easiest to do up and undo due to no resistance and the sheer length of a Nato strap just makes it pretty easy.

Then I found the Erika’s Originals straps a continuous loop, elasticated - keeps the watch close to the skin, it’s low profile so it doesn’t interfere with working, plus the buckle part you can adjust to the side of the wrist so I’m not resting on a buckle whilst working - it’s a total result.

Mark XVII On Erika’s Original Black with red stripe and brushed steel hardware.

Mark XVIII Top Gun on Erika’s Original Black Ops with DLC hardware.

My arm x ray post accident.

After nearly a year of trying a huge variety of strap and watch options I think these are about as good as it’s going to get. At least it keeps an interest in watches which is something I have really enjoyed over the years. It’s just a very different path to what I was expecting my collecting to take 11 months ago!

Craftsman
    That looks like a nasty smash. Glad you've found a watch solution and hope the rest of the recovery goes OK. Haven't tried MN straps but they look like a very convenient option, even for those of us with full use of both arms!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boywithabubblegun View Post
    That looks like a nasty smash. Glad you've found a watch solution and hope the rest of the recovery goes OK. Haven't tried MN straps but they look like a very convenient option, even for those of us with full use of both arms!
    Thanks - it’s taking longer than I expected. Although I was fuelled with Morphine when they were telling me how serious it was!!

Craftsman
    Must have 4 erikas at this stage... they are uber comfortable... i do wish they were a little chunkier.. the NDC ones look like they might be..

Hope your on the mend, that was a very nasty accident. Great to know the straps have given you comfort too and easy to fit.

Wow, that looks like one quite a nasty and unfortunate injury.
    Hope it will mend more or less completely in long term

Master
    Thanks for the comments - the arm is about as good as it’s going to get with regards to movement. I’m just hopeful of some of the nerves repairing which can take a good couple of years plus, according to various physiotherapists I’ve seen and the surgeon that did both operations on my arm.

Master
    Ouch! - thats a nasty break.

I've been an Erika's convert for a number of years, and wear most of my watches on them. I've tried the cheaper alternatives, but have found none that feel as firm and as comfortable as hers. Some complain that they are to pricey "for what they are", but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"
    My latest acquisition is now permanently fixed to one of their black op's straps (all black - same as yours)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Ouch! - thats a nasty break.

I've been an Erika's convert for a number of years, and wear most of my watches on them. I've tried the cheaper alternatives, but have found none that feel as firm and as comfortable as hers. Some complain that they are to pricey "for what they are", but I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"
    My latest acquisition is now permanently fixed to one of their black op's straps (all black - same as yours)

I’m really impressed with them. Plus the fact you get the option to customise the strap a bit. The DLC hardware is really good quality.

Looks great on your watch.

Master
    Now held together with titanium and screws.

Glad you are on the mend OP

I have been a fan for years
    They are by far the most comfortable strap I have tried.

This one is an early example of her straps with original
    MN surplus material and old hardware.

This one has the lumed middle stripe.
    I have a few more in the strap box.

An alternative is the LUFT elastico, they are 1/3 of the price but at least 80% of the quality in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Glad you are on the mend OP

I have been a fan for years
    They are by far the most comfortable strap I have tried.

This one is an early example of her straps with original
    MN surplus material and old hardware.

This one has the lumed middle stripe.
    I have a few more in the strap box.

An alternative is the LUFT elastico, they are 1/3 of the price but at least 80% of the quality in my opinion.
    I like both your watches - but that Tudor submariner - superb.

They are great, I found it a bit difficult to attach the hook at first, but I’m assuming there’s a knack to that and it’ll just get easier. I like the fact that once you have undone the buckle, the watch is still attached to the wrist.

As my right hand is a bit unreliable, I’ve dropped quite a few things (Crockery - That always goes down well with the Mrs) so it’s a good safety feature that the watch won’t fall on the floor. I haven’t dropped a watch yet, the kitchen table is a great asset.
    Last edited by neebsta; 27th September 2021 at 19:42.

I must be doing something wrong
    I find them hard to use and the metal parts seem to hurt when putting the watch on
    I have watched videos but can’t seem to enjoy them as soe of you do.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 27th September 2021 at 23:25.

To the OP, a velcro from Gas Gas Bones could be an option too.

Pleased that you survived the crash OP, let's hope you can get more movement back. I wonder if these from Haveston might be suitable?
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    I’ve just had a quick look through my NATO collection. I’ve only got onto NATO straps in the last 6-8 weeks. These are in addition to the 2 Erika’s Marine Nationale.

3 Zulu Divers - Black Hardware

3 Watch Obsession - Black Hardware

2 Steveo Parachute NATOs - One Black Hardware/One Silver Hardware

2 OEM IWC NATOs 1 Black with central silver stripe and a Khaki Green

I like all of them, prior to injury I didn’t really like NATO straps. I can really see the benefits to them now. Plus with the thinner ones that you can feed through the lugs without having to remove the spring bars, makes life easy when you haven’t got a steady hand.