closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lanzarote in November - Tips, do's don't etc please

Blog Entries

Lanzarote in November - Tips, do's don't etc please

As per title. For us, Lanzarote looks to be relatively safe (yellow at the moment). We've never been there, so we could do with tips, addresses, preferred hotels (pref. without kids in the hotel). What do you have?
    And, as always: thanks in advance!

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    As per title. For us, Lanzarote looks to be relatively safe (yellow at the moment). We've never been there, so we could do with tips, addresses, preferred hotels (pref. without kids in the hotel). What do you have?
    And, as always: thanks in advance!

Menno
    Had a villa there once somewhere up a hill. It was like living in a wind tunnel. The doors and windows rattled all night. Get somewhere low lying!

Master
    Windsurfing😁

Surf lessons with Kaboti surf.

And eat at El Marinero in Arrieta - a tip from a mate of mine who grew up there and loves food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bmpf; 26th September 2021 at 16:57.

We go to Lanzarote every year (often in both Summer and Winter) and the weather in November often isn't great so maybe pack accordingly including a lightweight showerproof jacket!

Re: hotels, I can't really recommend as we always stay in a villa, even when there's only my wife and I, but we favour Puerto Del Carmen 'old town' (Los Mojones) near the old harbour or Puerto Calero just down the road.

Having said that I have friends who have stayed here and rated it highly: https://www.lanissuites.com/

and we've booked a room here to se between villa check-out and flight and for the few hours we were here it looked nice: https://www.hotelcostacalero.com/en/

Get a Villa , maybe near Puerto del Carmen . Get a car. Lanzarote is brilliant for driving and most sights are within an hour or so .
    Take the ferry from PdC to Fuerteventura for a day out . Don’t take the ferry from PdC to Fuerteventura for a day out if it’s windy 🤮.
    I did a bit of scuba diving here if that takes your fancy . I think there’s still a submarine trip to take .
    There are some great natural spots on the island which, if you have the car, are easily accessible.
    Then just do your homework and find some fantastic restaurants, of which there are many .

Great place to visit . Make sure you visit the manrique attractions, there is a viewing platform and a large house with a concert hall . See the caves also and the bus tour on the south west to see the volcano area. Lots to do :)

Scuba diving is good there - Been a couple of times and there's a good variety of life to see, even in shallow water (take a try dive if you've not done it before).

The lava flow caves are well worth a visit - Last time I went, my daughter and I took a tour around the island on a bus on our last day and visited some and some of the architecture of César Manrique, equally possible in a car.

Lots of people rave about the 'moonscape' of the interior of the island, but I was a bit underwhelmed by it, to be honest.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

We stayed here last time:

https://www.hotelvolcanlanzarote.com...nes-somos.html

Within the hotel they have Club Volcan, which is adult area and has its own seperate pool and sunbathing area. Also has a seperate breakfast room and afternoon teas and early evening drinks (free) as part of staying in one of the club rooms.

Location is excellent right on a quiet marina which has plenty of shops and decent restaurants. From the hotel there's a nice pedestrianised walkway along the seafront into Playa Blanca (maybe a mile and a half) which is a lot busier if that's what you want.

Can't comment on November weather, but it can get pretty windy.

Resort wise we prefer Playa Blanca although Costa Teguise and Los Pocillos are nice too.

Hotel wise, Adults Only we like H10 Timanfaya Palace best (Playa Blanca) and Los Jameos but it’s a family hotel (Los Pocillos).

Things to do, a trip to the Timanfaya Park to see the volcanoes is “not to be missed”. If you like wine you could go to one of the wineries, we like El Grifo the best. If you like good beaches Papagayo is the place to go. Activity wise we enjoy Segwaying which you could combine with an excursion over to the Papagayo beaches (recommend MovingSegwayLanzarote).

Craftsman
    We love Lanzarote as a family and have visited for a few years now. Very sad not to have got back this year.

We always go to the Playa Blanca area and rent a villa. The marina and area are a little more upmarket and it has a lovely, family friendly, feel.

Nice coastal area with good sea side walks, and roads are good to get around the island and upto Timbaiba park

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    We stayed here last time:

https://www.hotelvolcanlanzarote.com...nes-somos.html

Within the hotel they have Club Volcan, which is adult area and has its own seperate pool and sunbathing area. Also has a seperate breakfast room and afternoon teas and early evening drinks (free) as part of staying in one of the club rooms.

Location is excellent right on a quiet marina which has plenty of shops and decent restaurants. From the hotel there's a nice pedestrianised walkway along the seafront into Playa Blanca (maybe a mile and a half) which is a lot busier if that's what you want.

Can't comment on November weather, but it can get pretty windy.
    Yes, this is a great place. Never stayed but visited for a drink. Cool indoor garden waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I haven't been in Playa Blanca for a few years. Does the 'volcano' still erupt every night at 2100hrs?

We used to stay at the THE Mirador Papagayo, just along from the Volcan, but it went downhill fast (food, bars, staff, cleanliness) under a new management team. I wouldn't recommend it!
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries

Resurrection of an old thread.

We've returned from a trip to Lanzarote. Our first time (hence the start of this thread a few weeks back) and certainly not our last.

We landed in the early afternoon, so the island was clearly visible from the descending plane. I had my thoughts about the vast black landscape and the white houses. But that changed the moment I set foot on the ground. It's beyond beautiful! How can a wasteland, desert-like island look so great!? Perhaps the great weather helped a lot. We'd rented a car. A simple Renault Clio worked nicely. No need for bigger or more expensive. (Besides that: fuel is 1 gbp/liter...)

We stayed at the Jameos Playa Seaside hotel. Not good, not bad. But overall something I can recommend. Although, next time we'll opt for a villa like was suggested here. Playa Blanca was not our cup of tea. More or less the subtropic version of the Brighton Pier, I suppose. Long stretches of bars with 'real cooked breakfast' and 'Sunday's roast'. But there are enough spots that make up for that. The trip to the National Park was -like suggested- a great trip. Also due to the wonderful guide. A born Lanzarotian (is that the correct term) with a master's degree in geology - and with proper knowledge of the English language. You need that sort of people for a trip like that!

A word about the roads... I always rated the French motorways to the south very high. I still do. But they're out-classed by the quality of the roads on Lanzarote. Smooth as silk, brandnew and absolutely no litter near the roads. It's clean. Mainly because (according to the guide we had on Friday) because people on Lanzarote realize that their existence is connected to tourism and that tourists will stay away when it's dirty!

Then, César Manrique's place was wonderful. My wife and I great fans of Mid-Century Modern architecture and furniture. So this trip to the museum came as icing on the cake.

Finally a word about Famara Playa in the NW. The LZ404, the road leading to Famara is breathtakingly beautiful. You get the idea that you're driving in a Breaking Bad's New Mexico landscape. Until you see the shoreline. Where lava and desert turn into wonderful blue water and foam of breaking waves. The village to the south is the most laid-back spot I've ever seen in Europe. The sand in the streets make it look like an old Western town. Small board-rental shops, hippy-like people (my wife felt at home - her parents were real hippies, including the '69 Woodstock concert...) and good vegan food. 100% different from Playa Blanca, 30 kms to the south!

Will we return? Yes! Renting a villa near Famara I think. Still lots of things I'd like to see again.

Last edited by thieuster; 17th November 2021 at 19:18.

Haha - I hadn't seen this thread and was about to recommend Famara before I read your last post. We also loved it there and the surf was fantastic.

Glad you liked the island. We found the wind started to annoy us by the end of a 2 week holiday - though Playa Blanca always felt more sheltered than the rest of the island. I love the variety to be found between the various Canary Islands.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Haha - I hadn't seen this thread and was about to recommend Famara before I read your last post. We also loved it there and the surf was fantastic.

Glad you liked the island. We found the wind started to annoy us by the end of a 2 week holiday - though Playa Blanca always felt more sheltered than the rest of the island. I love the variety to be found between the various Canary Islands.
    Actually, we discussed going to another of the Canaries next year. I suggested that I should start a thread asking about the differences etc. But that's for next year. My wife is going on a skiing holiday with her brother this winter. (I don't ski). He's back from 20 yrs living and working in Brazil and he's "ready to take a dive into the snow!" according to his words. In May we'll be heading for Harvard (Boston) for my wife's PhD graduation. Provided everything will be possible, Covid-wise.

It will take a while before I'll start a new 'Canaries' thread.