closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What now for Joshua?

What now for Joshua?

Well that’s two defeats for AJ now, will he retire and walk away with his millions or try for a rematch?

Personally I feel he should call it a day, hopefully Fury beats Wilder next, then would Fury fight Usyk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will go to a rematch and we will be further robbed of an undisputed fight.

Boxing is killing itself

Joshua will 100% exercise the rematch clause, should he loose then that’s it for window for a huge unification fight with fury.

He is a talented boxer but he seems to doubt his ability to take a punch while going on the attack since Ruiz KO’d him something he needs to address, he is at a cross roads he could follow the path similar to Lewis with a third title or could just as easily follow a similar path of Amir Khan.

What now ? According to him it was another day in the office and he will be back in work on Monday.

Oh wait, that is what he said before the fight. Now he will be thinking how on earth do you defend that fast left hand into you eye that more or less defeated him.

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the fight so the opinion below may not reflect how it all panned out...

AJ is an athlete, not a fighter. When the going gets tough, he doesn't have what it takes to walk through the fire. Usyk is the most accomplished boxer and fighter AJ has faced and he simply had no answers.

Boxing is the skillset, fighting is the mindset, AJ doesn't have one half of the equation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Well that’s two defeats for AJ now, will he retire and walk away with his millions or try for a rematch?

Personally I feel he should call it a day, hopefully Fury beats Wilder next, then would Fury fight Usyk?

It was a superb fight but he was playing a different game to Usyk. Total domination and Usyk is the real deal.

No way AH calls it a day, he will try and fill up the pension pot as much as he can before calling it a day. He was never going to be what he was being touted as but will end up a bet wealthy man and still have all his marbles.

Craftsman
    Anyone who climbs into a ring deserves respect and credit, but for me AJ is not top draw. He has sailed very close to the wind in numerous previous fights, he can't bob, weave or slip a punch, flat footed, is generally too shy in stepping in and mixing it and doesn't like front foot pressure from any opponent. He's a powerful boxer so should utilise his main weapon, the jab. Keep it long range, moving and snapping the jab till that unlocks the door but he can't seem to master the basic shot

I think Fury would tear him apart over any distance of rounds

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think he’s got 60% of everything which is fine for walking through most but not the best.

He has the power for close range banging but can’t scrap like the best.

He has the range but lacks the movement and speed.

For me he’s neither one thing or another, but I’d love to see him come back, win and fight Fury for the full set.

Master
    I’m not just saying it because he’s been beaten ( I’ve said it for years ) , he beat the worst heavyweight champion of recent times in Charles Martin after Fury was robbed of a belt and he’s been so well managed and marketed that money isn’t or never will be an issue .
    The defeat to Ruiz also highlighted that he is vulnerable to a puncher and it wasn’t a one shot wonder like Lennox was done with and came back to a convincing KO in the rematches, he was petrified along with his coach and promoter of getting caught again and it was like watching paint dry , also take into account how poorly Ruiz had trained along with how out of shape he was .

Fury’s a fighting man but should they between them paid Wilder step aside to make the big one ?

What would Mike Tyson have done with AJ ….one round ?

Hearn’s assessment

Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said his fighter had given Usyk too much respect and would have to make "fundamental changes" to regain his titles.

Hearn said Joshua was already thinking about how to beat Usyk next time.

"He is going to go away and all he will do is think about Oleksandr Usyk. He will be thinking 'how can I beat him, how can I improve?' He is obsessed with improving," said Hearn.

Joshua? Who is this Joshua?

I think the Fury-Wilder fight will be epic, and is the proper fight for 2021.

As said
    He will use the rematch clause

He was totally dominated by Usyk, the smaller, lighter, lesser reach man
    Why? Speed, grit and boxing skill….
    Something I’ve said from pretty much say one with AJ hasn’t got at a top level.

Slow, cumbersome -and Not prepared with tactics to swat the “wasp” that he fought, as said fury would muller him, and d eve enjoy it

The new champion stood up well, underrated due to the AJ hype

The 2/1 odds underdog in a fight which would never suit AJ was too tempting to resist for many.

Having met AJ in person - via a past employment, I found him to be honestly arrogant, rude, and all show. So on hat score - happy he got the embarrassed loss last night.
    It was a good watch - just a pity that last bell wasn’t ten seconds longer coming….

the Gypsy King - whoever gets THAT fight should “be ready” for not another day at the office!

I’ve just heard Eddie Hearns saying AJ was winning the fight after 8 rounds? The mans on drugs if he though AJ was ahead on points going into round 9.

Master

What now for Joshua?

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    It was a superb fight but he was playing a different game to Usyk. Total domination and Usyk is the real deal.

No way AH calls it a day, he will try and fill up the pension pot as much as he can before calling it a day. He was never going to be what he was being touted as but will end up a bet wealthy man and still have all his marbles.

But does anyone else feel Eddie Hearn’‘’s pension pot may be filling up quicker than AJ’s?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    What would Mike Tyson have done with AJ ….one round ?

Hearn’s assessment

Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said his fighter had given Usyk too much respect and would have to make "fundamental changes" to regain his titles.

Hearn said Joshua was already thinking about how to beat Usyk next time.

"He is going to go away and all he will do is think about Oleksandr Usyk. He will be thinking 'how can I beat him, how can I improve?' He is obsessed with improving," said Hearn.
    The pair of them are clowns in their thinking, They’ve mugged the British public out of millions along the way :), very very good PR but that said that’s his job but at least give us some value for money along the journey

Journeyman
    Couldn't he re-train as a lorry driver?

AJ has never looked able to take a half decent punch due to his poor defense he's too big and bulky Ulysk is streets ahead if Fury Ulysk happens it will be an interesting fight as Fury will hold and dance but Ulysk is far better than he gets credit for
    AJ should nang up his gloves and enjoy his millions

Why was Joshua smiling and sticking his tongue out at usyk in the 12th round ? On the verge of being ko,d

Master
    He's a modern day Frank Bruno, ( no disrespect to Frank ), flat footed, muscle bound, can't take a real punch, doesn't know, or, is not trained to adapt to different fighting styles.
    He really should start looking at his team around him, yes, he's made, and still is, millions but as far as boxing goes, did they not study any Usyk fights, surely they fought the wrong kind of fight against him, he's quick, skilful, gets inside you very easily, so why try and mix it up so much, just stand there and use what you have, long arms and a ram rod jab, then when the opportunity comes take it.
    I'll put it out there, he doesn't want the Fury fight for obvious reasons, so maybe he doesn't mind losing to Usyk, at least it gives him longer to even think about the Fury fight, and maybe by then it just won't be worth staging it, especially if the belts aren't there to be won, ( just saying ).

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

Zero respect for Wilder, hope he gets retired. Total jerk who gives zero credit to any opponent in his life even when he lost. Blames his walk on suit, cheating or his team. What a schmuck, he keeps wanting to fight Fury again until he lands that one lucky shot on a tired Fury so he can talk crap for the rest of his life that he won all 3 fights.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post

It's intriguing again but it won't be epic. Can only go one of two ways - either Fury boxes his head off again or gets knocked out. Wilder will never be involved in an epic fight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    But does anyone else feel Eddie Hearn’‘’s pension pot may be filling up quicker than AJ’s?
    I am sure everyone has done well out of all this but the guy signing the check is always going to do better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Why was Joshua smiling and sticking his tongue out at usyk in the 12th round ? On the verge of being ko,d

Just watched the replay and please watch the announcement, he genuinely looked a little shocked at the judge’s decision !!

Joshua Was well beat ( I thought at least 3/4 rounds and that’s being generous) out thought & out fought .

I can’t see that he’ll walk away, him and Hearn (and a lot of older/past-it British boxers) have shown that they just care about the money. Even if it’s just one last cheque.
    I hate all this BS about “it’s about legacy”. What does that even mean these days but a marketing line. You don’t talk about legacy, you just build it and others reflect on it as being one.

He was finally found out without an excuse. Ruiz did it but AJ got away with it at their (extremely boring) rematch because he hid at distance and Ruiz didn’t have the boxing Finesse to get within distance to use his quick but short arms. I’ve always subscribed to the argument that Joshua has never really fought anyone in their prime or who was a genuine best contender.
    Agree with the other comment regarding his style; he’s just a big strong guy that’s got one style. If he doesn’t comes up against someone similar and he can’t drop a few heavy punches, then he has nothing.

Hearn will say whatever, you can’t really judge him on it as he’s just a salesman. He was saying right away that AJ knew what he’d done wrong and wanted in the gym on Monday. He’s got to say that because most of AJ’s fans aren’t boxing fans, they’re outsider/casual fans; mostly picked up on the ‘unbeaten’ bandwagon, and that cart has well and truly left the station. Yes he pulls in a big crowd but that’s because he’s too scared to go elsewhere and so a UK event is easy to sell. Only real boxing fans with a bit of money will go to vegas or elsewhere, but AJ is too scared to do that. I think as a lot of them left last night, they won’t be returning (apart from to think of it as part of a night out).

I’m always interested in the corner talks with the AJ fights after the Ruiz loss. In that fight he was heard saying things like “what’s happening” and “why am I feeling like this”. If you listen to what we could hear last night from the guy to his right, it was all about trying to calm him “relax, relax…”, whispering something in his ear whilst rubbing him in a repetitive soothing way to try and calm him down. A lot of people overlook this and I think it’s quite clear that when he gets shook in the ring he panics, because he’s used to easier opponents and has been built-up believing his hype due to who he’s been carefully paired against. In the world of boxing he’s their man-child. This also shows in such things as when he was sticking his tongue out in the 12th round after knowing he was beaten and also nearly just being KO’d… he just didn’t know what else to do, so like a kid he mimicked someone else to try and laugh it off, as if he’d just dodged 6 punches Canelo style.
    As the result was read-out look at his body language too. He shows zero confidence before it, as it’s read out he turns and says “what?” in the worst acting you’ll see, then immediately accepts it a micro second later and shrugs his shoulders. He was then out the ring immediately, no thanks or anything. As much of an idiot as Wilder has been after his fight, he took this loss on the night, on the chin.

Moving forwards I imagine Hearn may take the rematch and push it out, or he may find ways out of it/to delay that last pay day. AJ is just a cash cow to him and he might not want to risk just one more of them if AJ gets done once more. Nobody would be interested in him after a third loss, maybe even now. If it’s not in Ukraine also, then it’s criminal and just further proof that it is a case of ‘the emperor’s new clothes’ with his ability at the top level.

It’s a real shame we won’t see the Fury v AJ fight with all the belt hype. As someone mentioned last night, Usyk has a similar awkwardness to his style that is very hard to combat; but where Fury would go one further is he can take far more abuse and his quick hands are a lot heavier than Usyk’s. Last night showed that Fury really would have left him on the canvas and very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Just watched the replay and please watch the announcement, he genuinely looked a little shocked at the judge’s decision !!

Joshua Was well beat ( I thought at least 3/4 rounds and that’s being generous) out thought & out fought .
    Deffo I agree. He was well beaten. He won 1 or 2 rounds at the very most

Blog Entries
    Usyk was brilliant last night. He fought his natural style and it was too much for AJ. My take is that AJ's reinvention since the Ruiz loss has resulted in him wanting to win the Usyk fight by outboxing him which was never going to happen. Chisora (who I like) gave Usyk a really hard time in the first 6 rounds by constant pressure and bullying him. AJ can certainly beat Usyk in a rematch if he adopts a different mindset and goes in and roughs him up. Very few clinches last night and no leaning in. Personally think Joshua should have been about 7/8 pounds heavier for last night and just went for it from round 4 onwards.

As an aside Joshua looked shocked at the verdict which could indicate his corner never got the message across he was well begin after 7 rounds.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Adrian!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I am sure everyone has done well out of all this but the guy signing the check is always going to do better.

In a lot of sports the talent makes the biggest slice. With the right management it doesn’t need to be that way

Eddie the envelope always has an angle, no doubt he’s got another one lined up after the rematch to complete the trilogy.

Boxing needs to take a lesson from MMA. There’s a reason why the belt changes hands more often as the best fighters are mostly always fighting each other in their prime. How long did the Manny/Mayweather fight take to get on? 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Eddie the envelope always has an angle, no doubt he’s got another one lined up after the rematch to complete the trilogy.

Boxing needs to take a lesson from MMA. There’s a reason why the belt changes hands more often as the best fighters are mostly always fighting each other in their prime. How long did the Manny/Mayweather fight take to get on? 5 years?
    And if you want to watch two fighters going at it, watch last night's epic between Alexander Volkanovski and Brian Ortega. An outrageous display of the sort of heart AJ barely knows exists.

Rematch clauses are just greed. They should be scrapped. Joshua lost to Usyk so he should have to earn the right to fight him again. Usyk deserves a shot at the winner of Fury/Wilder before facing AJ again imho

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Rematch clauses are just greed. They should be scrapped. Joshua lost to Usyk so he should have to earn the right to fight him again. Usyk deserves a shot at the winner of Fury/Wilder before facing AJ again imho
    I agree, I think that rematches should be saved for epics… not just a get out of jail card for big name fighters in a small fight.

As many have said on here, Joshua is a brilliant athlete but an average boxer. He’s never been able to move his head, I remember him taking some serious shots against povetkin a few years ago. Not only does he not really move, recently he’s also been reluctant to let his hands go when there’s even a shred of risk.

He was gifted the win in the ruiz rematch as his opponent gained a ton of weight and clearly didn’t take training seriously

Usyk beats him in the rematch, and fury beats wilder and usyk. Fury usyk would be closer, but fury IMO is just as clever as usyk with a big size advantage

The difference between Fury and Joshua is clear. Joshua is an athlete who has learned to box later in life. He doesn't have a fighters heart or raw instinct. Fury isn't so much of an athlete, but he was born and brought up to fight. He enjoys fighting and it holds no fear for him. And he can box.

I don't see Joshua beating Usyk in a rematch, and I certainly don't see him beating Fury or Wilder. I see an even more comprehensive defeat to Usyk next (he figured out there wasn't much to fear as last nights fight went on) followed by retirement. Good luck to him. He's maximised his potential and his earnings.

Master

Think about this though , Mayweather fought PAC Man when he wasn’t the same fighter as he had been years before and after a bad knockout against Marquez and got treble the money that was spoken about years before when he was a seriously dangerous opponent.

Smart Business I’d say ??

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    Think about this though , Mayweather fought PAC Man when he wasn’t the same fighter as he had been years before and after a bad knockout against Marquez and got treble the money that was spoken about years before when he was a seriously dangerous opponent.

Smart Business I’d say ??
    Smart business agreed but lacking in sporting integrity. Leaves the world guessing what could have been if they’d have fought at the right time.

Master
    Smart business agreed but lacking in sporting integrity. Leaves the world guessing what could have been if they’d have fought at the right time.
    And why he will never be considered the GOAT

Master

There’s little to no integrity or loyalty for that matter in sport nowadays , just look at some of the decisions in boxing along with the Dillian Whyte scenario about not getting a World title shot although Eddie Hearn was miffed when he couldn’t get an opponent for Joshua a few fights ago but was offering him the same money as Big baby Miller ??

Yes that’s right big baby fought nobody Miller !!