timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Superb, wondered if someone would come up with Monty Python 
    Couldn't resist it......

.........And being herded into endless Hotel Miramars and Bellvueses and Bontinentales with their modern international luxury roomettes and draught Red Barrel and swimming pools full of fat German businessmen pretending they're acrobats forming pyramids and frightening the children and barging into queues and if you're not at your table spot on seven you miss the bowl of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup, the first item on the menu of International Cuisine, and every Thursday night the hotel has a bloody cabaret in the bar,.......

One of their best I reckon.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Did you ever try 'mild'?
    Used to love a Mild.
    Robinson’s, if kept well, did a great one.
    There is a Mild trail around the vale of Belvoir, too, lots of variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Used to love a Mild.
    Robinson’s, if kept well, did a great one.
    There is a Mild trail around the vale of Belvoir, too, lots of variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Can remember it being 'reasonably priced' as well, back in the day.

2hrs 20 in a queue, and just filled up now….

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Did you ever try 'mild'?
    Grew up on Thwaites mild, lovely stuff

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I was in Derby from 2pm till 6.30 never seen any Qs at all, so I think you are right southern disease
    Queues in North Manchester and rossendale, Friday night and all Saturday. Lots of places round here shut now due to no stock.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I hope the media that instigated this is proud of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I'm not sure this government is one I would credit with playing 3d chess tbh.
    The infamous chess playing pigeon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I always used to think the opposite - Tetleys up North always had a massive head, unlike the nice flat real ale (full pint glass) down sarf
    The beer glasses are taller up north to accommodate the head. I really don’t like ale without a head, I wish I could take my own sparkler with me to a southern pub. Last time I was in Yorkshire the barmaid told me that southerners sometimes ask for the sparkler to be taken off because they don’t like the head. I was incredulous.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I hope the media that instigated this is proud of themselves.
    They are not held to account, can print what they want on page 1 and a tiny apology on page 7 apology when it’s proved they were wrong. They are bullies and as long as people buy there crap it continues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Seemed to be more of a southern panic for petrol but it's hit us up North now. Yesterday our most expensive garage, which is normally devoid of cars, had a queue at least 15 cars long.
    Luckily I filled up a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Seemed to be more of a southern panic for petrol but it's hit us up North now. Yesterday our most expensive garage, which is normally devoid of cars, had a queue at least 15 cars long.
    Luckily I filled up a few days ago.
    Its all us down saff driving 250 miles to fill up and 250 miles back..

Seriously, I get people who are stressed that genuinely need the fuel for work/health etc but I imagine most of us have enough for 3-7 days but still add more.

I'm just sitting back with 150 miles left in my tank watching the selfishness of society unravel on a bit of news, I'll top up in a few days when the hysteria is over.

Its times like this I wish fuel stations would ask to see your gauge before entering the forecourt and not allow entry if you have more than a 3rd of the tank, even then limit the spend to £20.00, simple rules like this would stop selfish idiots filling fuel cans and queuing round the block..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Its all us down saff driving 250 miles to fill up and 250 miles back..

Seriously, I get people who are stressed that genuinely need the fuel for work/health etc but I imagine most of us have enough for 3-7 days but still add more.

I'm just sitting back with 150 miles left in my tank watching the selfishness of society unravel on a bit of news, I'll top up in a few days when the hysteria is over.

Its times like this I wish fuel stations would ask to see your gauge before entering the forecourt and not allow entry if you have more than a 3rd of the tank, even then limit the spend to £20.00, simple rules like this would stop selfish idiots filling fuel cans and queuing round the block..
    Not sure about limiting sales to, say, £20. Encourages people to top up with small amounts and makes the queues far worse.
    Make a minimum of £40 and drivers will go less often and when they really need to.

Everybody who is queuing for fuel just now - need fuel now, or are highly dependant on running a car/van etc and can’t take the chance of running out. The people who are simply topping up each time - probably ain’t taking 45ltrs each time, and while they add to the queues - aren’t depleting stocks overmuch.

All very well working on there being fuel in a week’s time - what if there isnt?

Not sure I would be contemplating a tour of the highlands right now - without some sort of contingency. Fuel stops could be 150miles apart if one station runs out (poss more without backtracking). You can bet that some out of the way places will prioritise local emergency services and perhaps even locals.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    They are not held to account, can print what they want on page 1 and a tiny apology on page 7 apology when it’s proved they were wrong. They are bullies and as long as people buy there crap it continues.
    The panic was instigated by the BBC news saying driver shortages meant stations running out of fuel. It was only a few BP stations affected, BP Hoyer have a terrible reputation in the industry as employers, hence they struggle to get drivers.
    From there on in the public ensured shortages happened by panic buying, often topping up tanks that were half full and probably would have lasted many people for days.
    And then the BBC can lay the blame with the usual suspects.
    It’s a con.

Master
    Had an early errand ti run this morning pre-10am, no signs of panic buying/long queues at the local Texaco - only three cars in the queue.

They didnt have any fuel though only the Costa Express and fuel shop was open.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Everybody who is queuing for fuel just now - need fuel now, or are highly dependant on running a car/van etc and can’t take the chance of running out. The people who are simply topping up each time - probably ain’t taking 45ltrs each time, and while they add to the queues - aren’t depleting stocks overmuch.
    Sorry dont agree, its the same with bog roll and pasta, most people dont need to buy more right now but do based on news and I'm alright Jack attitude - sod the rest of you.

I run my car until the fuel light comes on and then fill to the brim, gets me about 520 miles and lasts about a month, currently on 150 miles and that should do me this week.

What I'm saying is if you can see a weeks worth of fuel why react like an idiot driving around using up that weeks worth trying to find something you already have, I would say 50%+ of the people in the queues dont need to top up, its just pure selfish news hype..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    No only stupid people panic buy. It seems a large percentage of British people are stupid.
    I remember someone on this forum once posting a pic of all the supplies they had just bought before the idiot panic buyers got their hands on it. The irony seemed completely list in him.

Apparently it's all this blokes fault...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Went out this morning at about nine in the wife's car to get our usual Sunday morning coffee and papers and decided to fill up if queues were short or non existent.
    I went to a filling station that is one side of a dual carriageway outside of town on the assumption that many won't go there as it means doubling back at a roundabout further up the road.
    There was only one pump working, no diesel, unleaded only on both sides of it and a queue of about half a dozen cars with fuel caps on the right, mine was on the left so was able to drive straight up to the pump, fill up, pay, and drive off. I don't know if there were any limitations on quantity as my wife's car only takes 30 quid anyway.
    Driving back into town to get coffee one station had a sign saying no fuel, tesco had every pump open and modest queues, and another station had all but one pump closed and no queues at all.
    I can leave my campervan at home for the next week or two if this does go on, and the wife's car will see us good for a few weeks at least now it's filled up.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master
    Aren’t people these days capable of filling a car when the pump is on the opposite side to the filler cap?

Aren’t people these days capable of filling a car when the pump is on the opposite side to the filler cap?
    Nope. That was my trick yesterday. I skipped past 10 cars to fill up on the empty end pump (I had 30 miles range and need to drive 100 miles next week so did need diesel).

Master
    Don't worry about the queue just go out with a bit of pipe and syphon some out of someones tank, after all, they're all full up now, lol.

Yes they are, but as there were only about six cars in the queue including the one at the pump I doubt if they could be bothered.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Don't worry about the queue just go out with a bit of pipe and syphon some out of someones tank, after all, they're all full up now, lol.
    I was joking when I posted this, but I've just been on our local Facebook page and someone has reported a number of cars with fuel caps removed and fuel on the floor, what has happened to this country, ( answers on a post card please ).

Yelverton Co-op still has fuel just letting everyone know

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Yelverton Co-op still has fuel just letting everyone know

Yay, only 110 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

All very well working on there being fuel in a week’s time - what if there isnt?

Not sure I would be contemplating a tour of the highlands right now - without some sort of contingency. Fuel stops could be 150miles apart if one station runs out (poss more without backtracking). You can bet that some out of the way places will prioritise local emergency services and perhaps even locals.
    Spot on. I’m now wondering whether I’ll be able to do my mini-tour of the Kent coast on my bike on 8-10 October, and my Air BnB cancellation window closes on the 3rd!

If it wasn't for all this testing nonsense maybe a trip to Calais?

My son got back from a trip to Scotland on Friday, probably just in time. Did 2,000+ miles in a week.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 26th September 2021 at 12:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Today at Morrison’s.
    That is brilliant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Apparently it's all this blokes fault...
    Probably explains why the BBC ran the story, one of their old mates rang them up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    None in my EU country, and nothing I've seen reported anywhere.

Sent from my MRX-W09 using Tapatalk
    I'm just back from two weeks in Tipp and Waterford and agree ^^

was in Lidl's and Tesco and could not see any shortages/empty shelves and there was plenty of fuel..

Saw this on line earlier, made me laugh.

All you people moaning about petrol shortages caused by Brexit 🙄. I’m absolutely fine. I saw this coming ages ago and had my car converted to run on sovereignty. I get about 25 furlongs to the tugged forelock.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    I'm capable of doing it but just can't be rrsed to usually. Not usually in that much of a hurry, so it doesn't matter. I'm sure people who are in a hurry are grateful for the opportunity I leave for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Saw this on line earlier, made me laugh.

All you people moaning about petrol shortages caused by Brexit . I’m absolutely fine. I saw this coming ages ago and had my car converted to run on sovereignty. I get about 25 furlongs to the tugged forelock.
    Stolen :-)

Probably just had the car detailed.

Drove back from Pembrokeshire yesterday after filling up. No queues on my route home in Wales from what I could see, however as soon as I crossed the Avon there were signs saying service stations had run out of fuel. No fuel at Sainsbury's in Wantage this morning either.

For all you Tesla owners feeling a bit smug, there was what looked like the remains of a Model S, in flames on the M4 yesterday. All three lanes west bound were closed while the emergency services did their thing, hope no one was hurt.

Cheers,
    Gary

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I'm just back from two weeks in Tipp and Waterford and agree ^^

was in Lidl's and Tesco and could not see any shortages/empty shelves and there was plenty of fuel..
    Lidl and Aldi are having some issues with their middle aisle items but no food shortages.

The only things there are genuine shortages of, are those which must be sourced via UK with no alternative logistics source.

The same with fuel no shortages anywhere. Speaking to colleagues in Bratislava, Marseille and Frankfurt and they are all baffled both at the state of the panic buying, and the UK government thinking that there will be any major take up of the HGV and Poultry visa programmes.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Currently living in South Eastern Spain and have a car journey booked to travel back to the UK setting off from here on 1st October, three stops on route then into the UK on 4th.
    Whilst there are no fuel restrictions here or any that I have heard of in France, it is worrying that should this not right itself, I may be forced to cancel as once in the UK, I have to travel to South Yorkshire.
    The trip is only for ten days before I return to Spain though with a bit of running around whilst there.
    I will lose quiet a bit of money as with the pandemic I have had to cancel so many times already and have booked the 2 day PCR test, possibly further money lost.

Whomever or whatever has caused this situation, it is always the normal man in the street that suffers.

Please keep updating as all correct information from the petrol pumps/stations helps and I for one would not and do trust any of the media.

Regards.

Keith.

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Police attended the Tesco (Bow, London) this lunchtime after staff closed the station due to running out of fuel - I must have walked past 40 cars queuing, seems a few people at the front of the queue took exception and started a load of agro.

I give in - what has this country become?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

^^^^^

Britain in the 1950*s : "after you"

Britain in the 2020's : "f### you"

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Police attended the Tesco (Bow, London) this lunchtime after staff closed the station due to running out of fuel - I must have walked past 40 cars queuing, seems a few people at the front of the queue took exception and started a load of agro.

I give in - what has this country become?.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    My mrs for some unfathomable reason only ever puts £10 worth of petrol in but I made her fill her tank yesterday good job as most of the petrol stations near me are now empty
    Oh the irony.

I love that Brexit Britain is the only place in Europe with empty shelves and queues for food, but the Daily Mail manages to point the finger at one guy who is *shock* a REMAINER. Presumably for the next 20 years people will be defined as leavers and remainers.

Brexit is just starting, folks.

I went to Waitrose, Cheltenham this morning to complete the weekly shop and there was petrol but no diesel and no queue. I was at about a quarter of a tank and so filled up. If the weather is as poor as forecast this week and I use the car (RS6) for the 5 mile commute as opposed to the electric motorbike I'll need to fill up again next weekend!

I love that Brexit Britain is the only place in Europe with empty shelves and queues for food, but the Daily Mail manages to point the finger at one guy who is *shock* a REMAINER. Presumably for the next 20 years people will be defined as leavers and remainers.

Not sure I quite get that myself either, the DM has been running stories for days punch ups at petrol stations, only weeks to save Christmas, empty shelves in supermarkets but somehow the person to blame for this is not media scaremongering but some random bloke nobody has heard of who has some vague link to the BBC.

Regarding “Brexit Britain” other than late at night when stock is changing over I have not once found a supermarket with empty shelves.

Hate to disappoint the Twitter social media generation but food queues and empty shelves are a load of rubbish.

There are no empty shelves or queues for food. At worst there are some products that were absent this morning, some brands of bottled water being the only one I really noticed, not that I buy it. There are queues for petrol despite there being no shortage and caused by scare stories in the media as articulated many, many times in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    There are no empty shelves or queues for food. At worst there are some products that were absent this morning, some brands of bottled water being the only one I really noticed, not that I buy it. There are queues for petrol despite there being no shortage and caused by scare stories in the media as articulated many, many times in this thread.
    Fair point, and Robert above too. 'Empty shelves' is veering too close to lazy tabloid nonsense and I should have referred rather to products disappearing from shelves in some places, rather than empty shelves.

As a root-cause analysis………. That is it - in a nutshell.