closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Master
    At 8pm last night the queue when I went to pick up my takeaway was embarrassing, so I left it. At 8am today there were no queues at any local petrol stations I passed. Went home, picked up the car (under a quarter of a tank) and by 9am, daft queues again.

I give up. My car isn't particularly thirsty but 20quid a week gives me half a tank. I'm not lining up for half an hour with 40 cars to give me a weeks worth of fuel.

Well that’s 2 hours of mine and my wife’s lives that we’ll never get back. Went to do our weekly shop at the local Morrisons, took 2 hours just to get into the car park past all the diesel queuers. Managed to cut the time a bit by convincing the wife to walk to the store and do the shopping so that by the time I get in and park we can just load up and be on our way.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Probably not given electricity price hikes!
    Mercedes threw in 3 years free BP Pulse and Ionity charging :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Mk2 may have been filling to go to a show unless a rust bucket (and in which case someone’s daily) the motor home, you know, going on holiday somewhere. 911 is an easy daily drive for some, I’ve had a TVR as a daily for 2 years.

67 Stingray I will give you, but the rest wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow at. Guessing they were all more exciting than what you were filling up!
    Thanks for the enlightenment it all makes sense now

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    People waiting all night, something tells me the British public are not the master of all things. Or you know, have any common sense at all.....

Blog Entries
    Pure lunacy Morrisons ok for shopping as garage side closed but i thought no way do i need this got 240 mls in the tank and had a lunch drive tomorrow cancelled so onto to the Asda site six bottles of wine 25% discount , 30 beers £9.00 discount some chicken and rice for the dogs and for delivery this evening
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    My wife had enough in the tank to cover her work next week providing nobody gets sick and she has to cover.
    My local stations have no diesel and are limiting to £20 which is about what it takes for the wife to get to work and back.

I haven’t mentioned that we should have got one of the electric cars we looked at last year instead of her diesel motor, I think best not to.

My search and rescue team I’m part of had a very low turn out to a call out this morning and several people put it down to fuel shortages.
    We’re volunteers and if we don’t have enough fuel for work and other commitments the SAR use has to go on the back burner, it’s a shame but a reality.

I was down to the last 30 miles range on my car and have to be in the office next week so just popped out for diesel. I went to my Tesco Express. There was 1 car waiting at all but the end pump which was empty. I drove up to it and filled up straight away. I did have to have the hose draped over the car but was had no issues getting fuel.

Media should be heavily fined for inciting unnecessary panic and therefore major disruption to the nation, and only vehicles can be filled with fuel, not twats filling up bloody Jerry cans also.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    This would have been a non issue but for the media whipping up hysteria as usual. Just a few stations ran out of supplies - until now.
    Yet they do it time and again.

In a way making the news rather than reporting it.

Master
    Wonder if the gov being slow to react is partly driven by their desire for more drivers to swap to electric?

Blog Entries
    Bloody annoying trying to buy Peroni at Tesco Express yesterday evening with the long line of cars blocking the car park.

Needed a beer the time it took.

Pitch (smug)

My wife had a test drive in a car booked at the Seat dealer at midday today. We set of with 20 mins to spare and arrived 45 mins late due to a queue for petrol at the fuel station 500 meters past the car dealership. Bloody annoying.

Then, believe it or not, they wouldn’t let her take it out for a proper drive as it had only 5 miles of range left in the tank, so we just drove it around the car park.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Sounds like a bargain. Wonder if Jaguar will be doing any similar deals next year?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Media should be heavily fined for inciting unnecessary panic and therefore major disruption to the nation
    What’s your reaction when someone in government says “No need to panic buy”? I know what mine is!

No panic north of the border - I was the only one at the Asda forecourt at 10am this morning (and at 132p per litre too).

Three from seven I passed today in Aberdeen were empty with the pumps blanked off, four had minor queues but not out onto the carriageway. Less manic than you southern lot

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Three from seven I passed today in Aberdeen were empty with the pumps blanked off, four had minor queues but not out onto the carriageway. Less manic than you southern lot
    Fuel, Co2, beer.. Whatever
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Really they aren't giving you anything as they have a stake in Ionity. They and their partners will use this as a way to attract custom. But it's better than a free tank of fuel

Master
    My mrs for some unfathomable reason only ever puts £10 worth of petrol in but I made her fill her tank yesterday good job as most of the petrol stations near me are now empty

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Fuel, Co2, beer.. Whatever
    I always used to think the opposite - Tetleys up North always had a massive head, unlike the nice flat real ale (full pint glass) down sarf

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I always used to think the opposite - Tetleys up North always had a massive head, unlike the nice flat real ale (full pint glass) down sarf
    I was raised in Yorkshire, I don't drink much beer but I could never understand the idea behind a pint having a big head on it, it's not the beer it's just the way they like it pouring.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Wading into the North vs South beer debate there are some amazing beers and ales everywhere. North and South. One look at my belly will tell you I'm well experienced with beer drinking:) What I will say about Tetley is it doesn't travel well. Having a pint of it in Yorkshire is a much nicer experience than if it has had to travel far.

Grand Master
    Tetleys hasn’t been the same since the 80s, it became very inconsistent even when still brewed in Leeds. The current version is OK but a bit lacking in body for my liking.

30 years ago the North v South beer debate was totally different, North won hands down, but thesedays there’s excellent beers brewed all over the country and the North v South thing is no longer relevant.

Master
    Remember Watneys Red Barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I was raised in Yorkshire, I don't drink much beer but I could never understand the idea behind a pint having a big head on it, it's not the beer it's just the way they like it pouring.
    Wading into the North vs South beer debate there are some amazing beers and ales everywhere. North and South. One look at my belly will tell you I'm well experienced with beer drinking:) What I will say about Tetley is it doesn't travel well. Having a pint of it in Yorkshire is a much nicer experience than if it has had to travel far.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Tetleys hasn’t been the same since the 80s, it became very inconsistent even when still brewed in Leeds. The current version is OK but a bit lacking in body for my liking.

30 years ago the North v South beer debate was totally different, North won hands down, but thesedays there’s excellent beers brewed all over the country and the North v South thing is no longer relevant.
    It was not my intention to mash up the great North vs South thing My original experience of Tetleys was over 35 years ago in Leeds and lately in the last couple of months...and I can't say it has improved. However, as has been said, there are plenty of other great beers both North and South, wherever the divide is (not Watford)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Think I would panic buy Double Diamond if I ever saw it again

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Yep, that was shite too. Mid- 70s keg was the nadir for British ale, I remember Bass Charrington crap being delivered to pubs in tankers, Brew 10 in the north and Brew 11 in the South, we referred to it as Spew 10. Whitbread Tankard ( aka Titbread Wankard) was another pint of foamy tasteless piss that was prevalent in that era. Thankfully the Big Four brewers didn’t have it all their own way and the real ale revolution has been a great success, beer is generally nicer now than it has ever been and the choice available is staggering (pardon the pun).

70s was a great decade for many things......beer wasn’t one of them!

I have a watneys party can that was brought back from Zeppelin at Knebworth

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    I have a watneys party can that was brought back from Zeppelin at Knebworth

Whatever happened to the party four?

I recall nicking one whilst leaving a party at the tender age of 16, 3 of us shared it whilst walking home. It got passed around like a rugby ball and hit me on the forehead whilst still quite full, woke up next morning with a hangover and a large bruise........happy days!

There was a larger version, the party 7, which as the name suggests held 7 pints.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 25th September 2021 at 20:44.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seem to be no queues in/around Rotherham/North Sheffield. Must be a southern disease.

I was in Derby from 2pm till 6.30 never seen any Qs at all, so I think you are right southern disease

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Tetleys is not what i would hold up as a yardstick for decent ale.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Tetleys is not what i would hold up as a yardstick for decent ale.
    In the distant past (mid 80s) it won an award as the best beer in the country, sadly those days are long gone but in my opinion there are far nicer modern beers than Tetleys at its best.

Whatever happened to the party four?

I recall nicking one whilst leaving a party at the tender age of 16, 3 of us shared it whilst walking home. It got passed around like a rugby ball and hit me on the forehead whilst still quite full, woke up next morning with a hangover and a large bruise........happy days!

There was a larger version, the party 7, which as the name suggests held 7 pints.
    Yep, it's a Party 7. Think I'll tell my grandkids John Bonham threw it and my mate caught it

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I was in Derby from 2pm till 6.30 never seen any Qs at all, so I think you are right southern disease
    Sadly not, I saw a local filling station in Featherstone closed, with no fuel left to sell. Saw another in Normanton with a couple of customers but no queue, but the prices have hiked up overnight.

Storm in a teacup, it’ll be over in a couple if days. The irresponsible British press have caused this, they all deserve a good kicking.

Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Wonder if the gov being slow to react is partly driven by their desire for more drivers to swap to electric?
    I'm not sure this government is one I would credit with playing 3d chess tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I'm not sure this government is one I would credit with playing 3d chess tbh.
    The opposite applies IMHO.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Yep, that was shite too. Mid- 70s keg was the nadir for British ale, I remember Bass Charrington crap being delivered to pubs in tankers, Brew 10 in the north and Brew 11 in the South, we referred to it as Spew 10. Whitbread Tankard ( aka Titbread Wankard) was another pint of foamy tasteless piss that was prevalent in that era. Thankfully the Big Four brewers didn’t have it all their own way and the real ale revolution has been a great success, beer is generally nicer now than it has ever been and the choice available is staggering (pardon the pun).

A bottle of light in a half of draught bitter was the best way to deal with the 'lesser' brews that even a lemonade top couldn't help...or, if desperate, a barley wine!
    Last edited by Stanford; 25th September 2021 at 21:54.

Just for want of somewhere to rant...

Had to take mum for a hospital appointment today. Away camping Monday, so planned to fill up before collecting mum this morning

Huge queue at local Asda, 7am Saturday. Tried every petrol station between here and mum, either no diesel or no fuel at all.

Empty light came on shortly after leaving home. Got mum to hospital, but had to book her a taxi back as I wouldn't have made it. And poor mum with her mobility problems.

Local Asda must have good storage, as I was able to fill up on the way home. They're still at it now, with long queues...

I'm not clever, but even I can work out that if you tell people not to panic buy, they will panic buy. Grrrrrrrr...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I'm not clever, but even I can work out that if you tell people not to panic buy, they will panic buy. Grrrrrrrr...
    No only stupid people panic buy. It seems a large percentage of British people are stupid.

Now if we're taking shite beer, we surely must include the drip tray recycle that was Lorimer's Keg Heavy.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    Watneys Red Barrel you say...

............and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Ruins to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing 'Torremolinos, torremolinos' and complaining about the food - 'It's so greasy here, isn't it?' - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country........

...no not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Think I would panic buy Double Diamond if I ever saw it again
    Ran a pub for a while back in the day and Double Diamond was extremely popular. CAMRA was about then and we kept some 'real ales', which people with long beards, wearing hand knitted wooly jumpers, would come in and slowly sip a half of. Usually on the Folk music club nights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Now if we're taking shite beer, we surely must include the drip tray recycle that was Lorimer's Keg Heavy.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Did you ever try 'mild'?

Some kind women in Tesco told me BP petrol station is stocked up on Beckenham road.
    I’ve been queuing since 22.50, and I can still count around 20 cars in front of me, let alone what’s on the “wrong side of the carriageway…..

Master
    Superb, wondered if someone would come up with Monty Python 😁

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post

............and once a week there's an excursion to the local Roman Ruins to buy cherryade and melted ice cream and bleeding Watney's Red Barrel and one evening you visit the so called typical restaurant with local colour and atmosphere and you sit next to a party from Rhyl who keep singing 'Torremolinos, torremolinos' and complaining about the food - 'It's so greasy here, isn't it?' - and you get cornered by some drunken greengrocer from Luton with an Instamatic camera and Dr. Scholl sandals and last Tuesday's Daily Express and he drones on and on and on about how Mr. Smith should be running this country....