closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Panic buying

Roads are being blocked down here, Devon , as queues are long at petrol stations.

I mean Esso have closed only 5 out of 1000 stations. But it's lack of drivers isn't it . Supermarkets reaping what they sowed, cut back years ago on employed drivers to save money, with a plentiful supply of cheap drivers from Europe then contracting took over.

Doh.

Anyway, got to admit I'm partial to a little bit of panic buying

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I’m gonna panic buy from the local Indian a bit later, should see us through the weekend😃

I panic bought red onions earlier ... needed one for tonight, so I went all out and got two.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Roads are being blocked down here, Devon , as queues are long at petrol stations.

I mean Esso have closed only 5 out of 1000 stations. But it's lack of drivers isn't it . Supermarkets reaping what they sowed, cut back years ago on employed drivers to save money, with a plentiful supply of cheap drivers from Europe then contracting took over.
    Doh.
    Not sure what part of Devon you’re Dave but I went to Atlantic Village (now called Affinity) this morning and there were really long queues and even security, all to manage the Asda petrol station. Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Not sure what part of Devon you’re Dave but I went to Atlantic Village (now called Affinity) this morning and there were really long queues and even security, all to manage the Asda petrol station. Crazy!
    Tavistock, Plymouth road blocked at Wombwell and here in Tavy main road blocked as people queuing to get into Morrisons

I succumbed earlier today.

I panic-bought a ten-day supply of Royster's Steak crisps. (Ten packets, but only ever eat one per day.) Seemed sensible in the circumstances...
    ______

​Jim.

Was behind an older gentleman yesterday in the Garage, he bought £10 of fuel to top up his car, he had driven 8 miles to top up £10!!! Why TF, I said you off on a long trip… he said he wife might want to go shopping Sunday!

Master
    I love panic buying. I approach it as a challenge to outsmart my neighbours, whilst not appearing to be panicking in any way.

They lost all the EU lorry drivers who worked an illegal amount of hours and near on lived full time on the road.
    Now they have to play fair with UK workers who actually have some kind of standards and they cant cope.
    Got riddens to all the workers who kissed their bosses behind and allowed businesses to get away with 3rd world country standards of employment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Queues for petrol have been growing since 8am this morning around here - don't understand it myself or is petrol the new cure for Covid? Any QAnonners on here?

I'm sure the resident expert will be along shortly.

Master
    Seem to be no queues in/around Rotherham/North Sheffield. Must be a southern disease.

A gentle reminder:

'The George & Dragon

Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion.'

What does 'Got riddens' mean anyway? Something to do with the pox?
    ______

​Jim.

Think I'm off to panic buy some beer

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Seem to be no queues in/around Rotherham/North Sheffield. Must be a southern disease.
    Only until 5pm tonight, mark my words..they'll be a massive run on cloth caps and ferret food and treats.

Think I'm off to panic buy some beer
    Mmm - we have plenty - Perhaps I'll panic drink some instead!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    This would have been a non issue but for the media whipping up hysteria as usual. Just a few stations ran out of supplies - until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    This would have been a non issue but for the media whipping up hysteria as usual. Just a few stations ran out of supplies - until now.
    I'm assuming this media induced hysteria is self-limiting. People are still only going to do the same amount of miles, so unless something drastic does change with the tanker supply won't we be back to normal in a week or so with the Daily Mail readers cars carrying full fuel tanks from place to place as opposed to having 1/4 full tanks?
    Last edited by Christian; 24th September 2021 at 16:23.

My car says 190 miles until I need to refill. Conservatively that should last me 3-4 weeks so I won’t bother refilling.

Master
    My lawnmower still has a tankful. Should I get a CCTV for the shed?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My car says 190 miles until I need to refill
    So does mine, but I've got a 140 mile round trip over the weekend and possibly another on Monday.

I'm not off to panic buy though...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

My van runs on electrons do until the power stations shut down, I should be ok.

Doh.

If I stand on my garage roof I can see Devon, so I'm off to panic buy tonights fish and chips in case the panic is airborne.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My lawnmower still has a tankful. Should I get a CCTV for the shed?
    I got rid of my petrol mower and went cordless…game changer for me…no more fighting to get the thing started every March 🤣

I was panic buying last Sunday at 2:00pm... the panic was I wouldn't be able to type my credit cards details in time...

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

True panic buying is the last 30 mins before the strip club closes.

Around my way (North Kent/S London), there have been queues at petrol stations all day and many have now run out of both petrol and diesel.
    Luckily our car has a full tank, my bikes have enough between them for a spin around Kent over the weekend and, best of all, the Uber Eats chap had enough to bring us our German Doner Kebab grub this evening

Master
    I panic bought the weekly shop earlier and I'm going to panic buy some plywood and a coffee machine tomorrow.

Hi Chap,
    Whereabouts? On my way out this morning there were 4 cars in a queue and a full forecourt at a Tesco station in Shirley, West Wickham High Street Shell was the same with about 8 cars.
    I left it until later, and by 4.30 on my way back they had both sold out.

I’m trying one later in Beckenham, and maybe Sainsbury’s superstore in Sydenham later, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Around my way (North Kent/S London), there have been queues at petrol stations all day and many have now run out of both petrol and diesel.
    Luckily our car has a full tank, my bikes have enough between them for a spin around Kent over the weekend and, best of all, the Uber Eats chap had enough to bring us our German Doner Kebab grub this evening
    - - - Updated - - -

Hi Chap,
    Whereabouts? On my way out this morning there were 4 cars in a queue and a full forecourt at a Tesco station in Shirley, West Wickham High Street Shell was the same with about 8 cars.

I’m trying one later in Beckenham, and maybe Sainsbury’s superstore in Sydenham later, fingers crossed.

Father in law is scrapping his car. It has nearly a full tank. Any offers. You can have fuel for £400 I'll throw car in for free

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post

Hi Chap,

Bromley/Orpington way.
    Good luck finding fuel today.

Master
    Bromley/Orpington way.
    Good luck finding fuel today.
    Yes it's been insane all day and I actually need to fill up although no joy with every garage I've seen now sold out. Looks like my weekend plans are shot unless I can find some early tomorrow morning.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    This really is going to do wonders for those considering an EV.

Master

Not much money, still loves a certain Swiss brand, what can you do, there are a couple of choices nowadays... Hagwe folks!

Master
    I drove from Hastings to North Herts today and all of the petrol stations I saw en route were either jammed or out of fuel. Popped to the pub in Hitchin earlier and same story.

Blog Entries
    Tavistock, Plymouth road blocked at Wombwell and here in Tavy main road blocked as people queuing to get into Morrisons

Pfff only been to Plymouth once and I’ve been in Tavistock and Morrisons’!

Anyway, this is the first time that I heard (read) about UK’s panic buying. Nothing about that on the news or newspapers here.

We do have shops closing but that’s because there’s no personnel for the shops. In fact, all sorts of work suffer from a lack of employees. The UK’s current experience should be a warning for other countries!

For the first time that I can remember, there are more open job vacancies than unemployed people in this country (6%). Last time this happened in the Netherlands was before the 1973 Yom Kippur War!

People are spending like mad. And the only queues we have is at the cash registers where customers can’t wait to hand over their money.

With the interest on mortgages under 1% and on saving even lower, it’s no surprise that spendings are up.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    They lost all the EU lorry drivers who worked an illegal amount of hours and near on lived full time on the road.
    Now they have to play fair with UK workers who actually have some kind of standards and they cant cope.
    Got riddens to all the workers who kissed their bosses behind and allowed businesses to get away with 3rd world country standards of employment.
    Gibberish - but thanks anyway.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had to get fuel this afternoon and the queue was pretty long but I think I missed the worst. Only had V Power which was fine by me.

Asked the chap at the kiosk if I should only put a certain amount in and he said it’s fine, it’s been like this all year and was really cross that the media had caused a panic which really wasn’t needed.

It’s not panic buying. It’s a surge at the most, and save a few muppets with jerrycans it will calm down in a few days when local car tanks are full.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It’s not panic buying. It’s a surge at the most, and save a few muppets with jerrycans it will calm down in a few days when local car tanks are full.
    My local Shell was not allowing people to fill cans (while it had fuel) - not that I tried

Need fuel for my work van…garages all out of stock and closed. Oh well back to watching the Ryder Cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I genuinely need to fill some cans for my garden strimmer, mower and chainsaw, I’m worried I’ll look like a panic buyer dickhead now if I try to do so.
    Cheers..
    Jase

If anyone needs petrol and can’t get any my mate Jerry Can

You guys need to build up a relationship with your local Shell garage. Maybe go in first and buy some pringles and a coffee. Next time some sandwiches (and make sure they are recording your purchases).

I reckon if you go in a third time and buy some Haribo Starmix and a can of Red Bull then they'll give you the chance to buy fuel. I'm talking Diesel and standard petrol - Super is reserved for the real high rollers but even so I reckon if you went to one of the petrol stations that has a Little Waitrose and bought a bunch of fillet steaks and 6 bottles of Waitrose Prosecco then you'll end up being invited to buy the Super as well.

Food for thought.

Master
    I filled up both my MX5 and Defender up about two weeks so I probably should have panic bought today. I'd probably have got at most 15l in the pair!

Of more concern is my FireBlade that I lazily didn't fill up at the end of my last ride and want to ride over the weekend. I'm assuming the fuel tap is "on" so if I ride it I've got some reserve, if I've got it the wrong way round I might have a long push home!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Today at Morrison’s.