closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Journeyman
    Not in the UK but I do have family and friends that are and I watch/read quite a bit of UK media.
    The story being told in the UK re: other places having the same problems is fantasy.

Yes,some places in particular in the US are experiencing driver and production issues due to Covid, but that's far more related to vaccine issues with only @ 55% Vax rate.

Nowhere in Europe is encountering the issues the UK is. Even NI is in far better shape thanks to still being in SM for goods, the Co2 issue is a great example of that. Zero issues at Coca Cola Bottlers there, same with majority of shops who've managed to shift to EU supply chains. M&S and Asda have some issues but for GB produced stock.

With the driver shortages?
    Do people think EU drivers will come to the UK if the Visa situation changes?
    From talking to lads I know in haulage, just even entering the UK is a nightmare. No cabotage or multi-load work, paperwork nightmare and a general feeling of it's just not worth it.

I wonder what kind of incentives would have to be offered? And how quickly those costs will hit the bottom line?

Inflation is IMO a huge danger for the UK and it's starting to bite hard.

Sent from my Redmi K30 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    You guys need to build up a relationship with your local Shell garage. Maybe go in first and buy some pringles and a coffee. Next time some sandwiches (and make sure they are recording your purchases).

I reckon if you go in a third time and buy some Haribo Starmix and a can of Red Bull then they'll give you the chance to buy fuel. I'm talking Diesel and standard petrol - Super is reserved for the real high rollers but even so I reckon if you went to one of the petrol stations that has a Little Waitrose and bought a bunch of fillet steaks and 6 bottles of Waitrose Prosecco then you'll end up being invited to buy the Super as well.

Food for thought.
    Funny although you missed minding the ADs child’s school gerbil over summer holidays.

Starmix - Did you just reveal the secret of your success in buying hard to find pieces ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    This would have been a non issue but for the media whipping up hysteria as usual. Just a few stations ran out of supplies - until now.
    This. Media driven.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming this media induced hysteria is self-limiting. People are still only going to do the same amount of miles, so unless something drastic does change with the tanker supply won't we be back to normal in a week or so with the Daily Mail readers cars carrying full fuel tanks from place to place as opposed to having 1/4 full tanks?
    Probably true, those who topped up won't use any more fuel than normal.

More likely BBC viewers, they were punting the shortages message pretty strongly on the 9am news.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    This. Media driven.
    Quite. Although there is a shortage of lorry drivers generally, we didn't suddenly run out of tanker drivers in particular this week. Combination of media hype and panic buying muppets causing the problem.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Are any EU countries suffering similar shortages?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Are any EU countries suffering similar shortages?
    None in my EU country, and nothing I've seen reported anywhere.

Sent from my MRX-W09 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banie01 View Post
    None in my EU country, and nothing I've seen reported anywhere.

Sent from my MRX-W09 using Tapatalk
    Nothing to see here... https://www.ft.com/content/0c4f9876-...4-4abd2b58dde9

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Quite. Although there is a shortage of lorry drivers generally, we didn't suddenly run out of tanker drivers in particular this week. Combination of media hype and panic buying muppets causing the problem.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    Exactly!! We’ve got more drivers now than we can use so we’re doubling them up incase they get bored and go somewhere else.
    The empty garage tanks will become a problem now as they will probably have to wait there late delivery as the drivers have got busy filling every other empty garage tank up.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    They lost all the EU lorry drivers who worked an illegal amount of hours and near on lived full time on the road.
    Now they have to play fair with UK workers who actually have some kind of standards and they cant cope.
    Got riddens to all the workers who kissed their bosses behind and allowed businesses to get away with 3rd world country standards of employment.

Absolute rubbish

Indeed - unless you subscribe
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Sooo

For those who remember last time

The tanks will be emptied mainly by the same locusts that bought the bog roll …the stations will shut for a week + then they get a delivery news spreads on FB to The locusts who wait in a queue and devour the next delivery…

Well done Daily Mail…

Next “bicycle prices hit new high” as consumers hit by fuel crisis…

I only use E5 Shell v power in the Mx5 and use a station just off Dartmoor , just 1 car there . Keeping its location secret

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Glad I got the deal I did on an incoming Merc EQA earlier in the week. I suspect the phones will be ringing off the hook now!

With all the tech and advanced lives we lead, the toilet rolls and fuel FOMO shows that we are still selfish, look after No1 little peasants of medieval times..

Amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Amused me.
    Brilliant

I heard there might be a gas shortage this winter so just turned the heating up to 30 degrees. Got to think ahead.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Indeed - unless you subscribe
    Ignorance can be bliss apparently! 😂

Master

Panic buying

Well done who posted this one, cheap laughs appreciated this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Glad I got the deal I did on an incoming Merc EQA earlier in the week. I suspect the phones will be ringing off the hook now!
    Probably not given electricity price hikes!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    With all the tech and advanced lives we lead, the toilet rolls and fuel FOMO shows that we are still selfish, look after No1 little peasants of medieval times..

Exactly this … sad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Sooo

For those who remember last time

The tanks will be emptied mainly by the same locusts that bought the bog roll …the stations will shut for a week + then they get a delivery news spreads on FB to The locusts who wait in a queue and devour the next delivery…

Well done Daily Mail…

Next “bicycle prices hit new high” as consumers hit by fuel crisis…
    Most people probably saw the shortage predictions on the 9am BBC news, the same as I did.
    I think the Mail probably has quite a small readership in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    That’s just mental! People really are daft, thank god a filled the work car last week and charged it, perhaps unlucky for us the family car is virtually out of fuel and the only independent local garage that still has fuel is selling it now for more than the price of gold!

Master

Panic buying

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have 40 miles range in mine and would be a 18 mile round trip to the nearest garage so get 2 goes at filling up before I’m in big trouble!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post

I have 40 miles range in mine and would be a 18 mile round trip to the nearest garage so get 2 goes at filling up before I’m in big trouble!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Had a similar scenario with mine down to 55 miles left before my usual monthly fill up. Unless we have any longer outings it’s all I need these days. Was out the day before, but didn’t have wallet with me and just thought I’d fill up in the morning!
    Luckily I decided to try one nearer to us on the A1 and drove straight in. Lady in a BMW X6 other side of the pump took seconds for a ‘splash and go’ top up! By the time I’d filled up and paid the queue had started to build up. Madness.

Master
    Blog Entries
    One of our local garages ran out last night. The mentality of people these days is nuts.

My diesel.fuel light on. I think I might have around 40 miles range in that.
    Been out 8am this morning, done 9 stations in around a 5 mile radius, and they are all out of fuel….

The last Tesco station I stopped at I was chatting to a young girl who was doing a great job of writing a “sorry, no fuel sign” to put up, but within seconds of seeing my truck there, there must have been 20 cars or so coming in thinking I was getting fuel there….

For reference, Shirley, South Norwood, Thornton Heath/Crystal Palace FC, Addiscombe, and back towards West Wickham….
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    One of our local garages ran out last night. The mentality of people these days is nuts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Imagine if 90% of vehicles in the UK were pure EV - I'm pretty sure we would have power outages whilst the country is in transition away from carbon - wind power supplied 12% of provision last month?

Master
    I’m not surprised we can’t get lorry drivers there was a tv programme on a while ago about transport firms putting gadgets on the lorry’s to defeat the tacos so the could work longer illegal hours if the drivers refused they got sacked and it was apparently wide spread and had been going on for ages

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Imagine if 90% of vehicles in the UK were pure EV - I'm pretty sure we would have power outages whilst the country is in transition away from carbon - wind power supplied 12% of provision last month?
    And is exactly why we need tidal like the Menter Môn project in Holyhead, guaranteed power all day.

Wind farms are a farce, as has been shown recently, far to reliant on, well, wind!

I charged the Tesla in work yesterday, cost a couple of quid to top up (to the business not me) and now have 314 miles of range which will last about two weeks, enjoy the queues people!

I don’t buy in to the power outage theory when the switch is made, most people will charge at home and manufacturers recommend charge a little and often, so if your commute is say 30 miles it would equate to around 7kw (in my Performance anyway) so would charge in less than an hour on a decent home charger, and a lot would schedule this for off peak cheap rates.

The only slight issue would arise if everyone ran to empty and charged at the same time, which wouldn’t happen, unless someone said there was a power shortage like with petrol now!

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    And is exactly why we need tidal like the Menter Môn project in Holyhead, guaranteed power all day.

Wind farms are a farce, as has been shown recently, far to reliant on, well, wind!

I charged the Tesla in work yesterday, cost a couple of quid to top up (to the business not me) and now have 314 miles of range which will last about two weeks, enjoy the queues people!

I don’t buy in to the power outage theory when the switch is made, most people will charge at home and manufacturers recommend charge a little and often, so if your commute is say 30 miles it would equate to around 7kw (in my Performance anyway) so would charge in less than an hour on a decent home charger, and a lot would schedule this for off peak cheap rates.

The only slight issue would arise if everyone ran to empty and charged at the same time, which wouldn’t happen, unless someone said there was a power shortage like with petrol now!
    Even with your scenario (little and often) most people will be charging that little at the same time unless there's some delay facility (and maybe there is, I don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Even with your scenario (little and often) most people will be charging that little at the same time unless there's some delay facility (and maybe there is, I don't know).
    Yes but it’s small draw for a short period (equivalent to someone putting an electric heater on for a couple of hours).

People get confused with the rates destination “super fast chargers” which are 50kw plus, domestic is max 8kw so a non issue in my opinion.

If you use the supplied (free) granny charger which comes with all EV’s (standard 3 pin plug) this would only draw 2-3kw and would still top you up overnight if your commute was less than about 80 miles.

Dont get me wrong, I don’t love EV’s, I’ll be back in a 911 when the economy is more settled but they do have their plus points and I have been surprised how convenient they are!

Master
    I’m hoping this is sorted this week, due to visit a friend about 120 miles away on Saturday, neither of the good cars have more than 50 miles left in them & the smart has half a tank, but used by my wife as her daily hack of 60 miles per day.

She drove past 4 stations on her way to work this morning at about 7am & all had huge queues.

Will be extremely unimpressed if I cannot get a tank filled, I have not seen this friend since just before lockdown 1.0 & really looking forward to some beers with him.

My local Sainsbury's garage closed yesterday as no more fuel of any type. My fuel light is on so had to get some this morning. I managed to fill up at the first garage I tried (Shell) however most of their pumps were closed and I imagine the garage will close at some point over the weekend. Crazy.

Yes but it’s small draw for a short period (equivalent to someone putting an electric heater on for a couple of hours).

People get confused with the rates destination “super fast chargers” which are 50kw plus, domestic is max 8kw so a non issue in my opinion.

If you use the supplied (free) granny charger which comes with all EV’s (standard 3 pin plug) this would only draw 2-3kw and would still top you up overnight if your commute was less than about 80 miles.

Dont get me wrong, I don’t love EV’s, I’ll be back in a 911 when the economy is more settled but they do have their plus points and I have been surprised how convenient they are!
    Okay but then the little and often is irrelevant - in fact would be better giving a full charge once a week because they would presumably be at different times.

Drove past my local Shell, entrance is coned off with no fuel sign, it should say -

Sorry no Fuel due to cretins panic buying!

Luckily I have 150 miles left and might have 5 litres of diesel in the shed, if this continues the syphon kit and black clothing will have to come out!

Blog Entries

Surely there would be a huge surge as people got in from work between 5 and 7 o'clock?

How will people who live in flats/apartment blocks and terraced streets charge up at home?

Thinking of an I-Pace next and wondering how these things will pan out.

I'm in that area and even at 6.30am this morning the queues to Tesco Elmers End were horrendous.

Let me know if you find anything open (and I'll do the same) :)

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    My diesel.fuel light on. I think I might have around 40 miles range in that.
    Been out 8am this morning, done 9 stations in around a 5 mile radius, and they are all out of fuel….

The last Tesco station I stopped at I was chatting to a young girl who was doing a great job of writing a “sorry, no fuel sign” to put up, but within seconds of seeing my truck there, there must have been 20 cars or so coming in thinking I was getting fuel there….

For reference, Shirley, South Norwood, Thornton Heath/Crystal Palace FC, Addiscombe, and back towards West Wickham….

Ignorance can be bliss apparently! 😂
    I'm happy to confirm that - it is
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Had to fill up this morning , genuinely low on fuel, next week to consider etc..
    Went early to try and avoid the idiots but it was carnage!!!
    Some of the cars being filled up were

1967 corvette stingray
    Tvr cerbera
    Mk2 escort
    Motor homes
    Porsche 911 turbo

These cars are probably not daily drives!
    They probably use a couple of tanks a year all being filled to the brim!!!
    I was embarrassed to be there

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    I'm in that area and even at 6.30am this morning the queues to Tesco Elmers End were horrendous.

Let me know if you find anything open (and I'll do the same) :)
    Bro in law just cycled down to Tesco as you can’t get into the car park for people queuing for petrol. As of an hour ago, he saw a tanker pull up to unload 40,000 gallons. He spoke to the driver - told him it will take an hour to unload, but of course people already queuing up.

The driver said they have (Tesco) have no shortage of fuel or drivers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    Had to fill up this morning , genuinely low on fuel, next week to consider etc..
    Went early to try and avoid the idiots but it was carnage!!!
    Some of the cars being filled up were

1967 corvette stingray
    Tvr cerbera
    Mk2 escort
    Motor homes
    Porsche 911 turbo

These cars are probably not daily drives!
    They probably use a couple of tanks a year all being filled to the brim!!!
    I was embarrassed to be there

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Mk2 may have been filling to go to a show unless a rust bucket (and in which case someone’s daily) the motor home, you know, going on holiday somewhere. 911 is an easy daily drive for some, I’ve had a TVR as a daily for 2 years.

67 Stingray I will give you, but the rest wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow at. Guessing they were all more exciting than what you were filling up!

Cheers - I'll try again early tomorrow

The problem with that roundabout is that it's so small and so near Tesco that anything like this causes a complete bottleneck so you cannot even take another exit

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    Bro in law just cycled down to Tesco as you can’t get into the car park for people queuing for petrol. As of an hour ago, he saw a tanker pull up to unload 40,000 gallons. He spoke to the driver - told him it will take an hour to unload, but of course people already queuing up.

The driver said they have (Tesco) have no shortage of fuel or drivers.

Master
    QUOTE=number2;5840442]Indeed - unless you subscribe [/QUOTE]

Here’s a quote from the article. It was an article saying the shortage of drivers is Europe wide.

However….

“Europe has been hit by a shortage of drivers, with the problem in the UK particularly acute because of Brexit, the pandemic, tax reforms and backlogs for driving tests fanning the flames of a supply chain crisis”

Yet the media keep on making things ten times worse by continuing to report from petrol stations, thus ramping up the panic buying even more

Apologies if any offence…topical gag in current climate :-/

People waiting all night, something tells me the British public are not the master of all things. Or you know, have any common sense at all.....