closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Not quite true. It was the print media that were busy running front page stories about a fuel shortage on Friday. The BBC responded by reporting that it was just a handful of BP garages and that everything would be ok if people behaved normally. They trotted out members from all areas involved to back them up and the idiotic British public decided to, once again, ignore those that know what they’re talking about. Fast forward a couple of days and the anti-BBC print media are now spreading the story that the BBC started it and their followers on social media are lapping it up.
    BBc news said on TV there was the "possibility of a fuel shortage". That is enough to galvanise a large percentage of the public to actually cause one...

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    BBc news said on TV there was the "possibility of a fuel shortage". That is enough to galvanise a large percentage of the public to actually cause one...
    Imagine the chaos that would ensue if the media said it would be a good idea to leave the....

Oops wrong forum. However the same thick tw*ts getting manipulated by the media.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    That's not true.

The two local Shell stations to me have had problems for weeks. The Shell in Epping was closed for days last week.

The independents locally have also struggled.

There was an independent on the TV yesterday lunch talking about the problem going on for weeks.
    Well, the bbc news on thursday night saisd there was a possibility of a shortage and the next day all the garages local to me were emptied. I'd suggest that points to TV Media news by the BBC and others being the current cause...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Imagine the chaos that would ensue if the media said it would be a good idea to leave the....

Oops wrong forum. However the same thick tw*ts getting manipulated by the media.
    You got plenty of fuel??

Just asking...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I just stole this from Facebook

Quick heads up for some of you people who are now supply chain experts all of a sudden.

TO BE CLEAR

Petrol tanker drivers have a PDP and an ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tankers.
    There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact but we’ve had a shortage for years, we have a 100,000 shortfall, that doesn’t happen overnight!!
    HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol tanker without having an ADR and PDP qualification.
    The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
    The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
    The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
    It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
    These EU HGV drivers left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.

So what's changed? Nothing !!

Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.

The Result of the media scaremongering!!

Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
    The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today, it’s disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.

And to top it the government have 1000’s of trained military personnel who are available if there was a real fuel crisis. Bloody Media!! Bloody sheep, bloody selfish mentality.
    I agree with everything you say there except the 100k missing drivers. I just can't get my head around having another 100k trucks on the road.

According to the data we have 170k trucks over 31t on the road. So how do we need another 100k HGV drivers? Does that mean we need to increase the number of trucks on the road by over 50%?

I must be missing something here, but I can't see what.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ingdom-weight/
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    The 100k figure was analyzed on More or Less on Radio 4 a few weeks back. Around 50k is a historic shortage, we’ve been short of 50k lorry drivers for number of years. Quite how they work out there is a 50k shortfall when wages were low and no problems delivering goods I don’t know, but that is the base figure.

Then add in EU lorry drivers who have returned to the EU post Brexit. This is 20-25k, based on a survey which showed around 45k EU drivers prior to Brexit, and about 20-25k EU driver now.

I can’t recall where the other 25k was supposed to have come from.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I blame it all on the decline of the Yorkie Bar. Seriously when did you last see one? - terrible times indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Image1632853645.929551.jpg

Just about to get eaten between runs down to Sheffield.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Imagine the chaos that would ensue if the media said it would be a good idea to leave the.................
    That'll be the day...

The figures being bandied about are just media hype. They love numbers. People believe numbers. Next thing they'll be telling us there's a spare £350 million a week going for grabs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    The 100k figure was analyzed on More or Less on Radio 4 a few weeks back. Around 50k is a historic shortage, we’ve been short of 50k lorry drivers for number of years. Quite how they work out there is a 50k shortfall when wages were low and no problems delivering goods I don’t know, but that is the base figure.

Then add in EU lorry drivers who have returned to the EU post Brexit. This is 20-25k, based on a survey which showed around 45k EU drivers prior to Brexit, and about 20-25k EU driver now.

"Quite how they work out there is a 50k shortfall when wages were low and no problems delivering goods I don’t know, but that is the base figure."

That's what I just don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I normally have you on ignore.
    I love it when folks feel they have to tell you this. Guess who got his bum hurt in the BP ;-)

I must be missing something here, but I can't see what.
    It's the elephant in the room to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post

And keep in mind cabotage.

In the old days, a lorry would come over from - say - Germany to bring stuff over to London, then maybe spin up to Leeds to bring some stuff back to Germany. But because they were going from London to Leeds anyway, they would pick up some stuff from London to Leeds and points between rather than travel empty (earning nothing).

How many drivers did this add to the system? And how many more are needed to plug this new hole?

https://www.lexology.com/library/det...7-6b365d19b750
    Last edited by barneygumble; 28th September 2021 at 19:40.

Panic buying

Regarding Adrian’s post copied from Facebook:

It is incorrect.
    Yes a tanker driver needs additional qualifications compared to HGV drivers.
    Yes a significant number of EU drivers have stopped coming to the UK as of last January.

They created the critical deficit, the one that long hours cannot patch up (unlike the existing deficit that existed before).

We saw the effects very quickly, first in exports that dwindled and HGVs crossing to the continent empty (drivers are not happy), then imports that did not arrive within the expected JIT model. I believe a few people here have experienced delays in construction, in new cars deliveries, and then of course in supermarkets.
    The same thing WAS HAPPENING with petrol deliveries. The number of stations that had supply issues rose from 10% to 16%, without any help from the Beeb.
    No one mentioned it, therefore the problem did not exist.
    Except it did.
    The supermarkets hired drivers with more attractive wages. Excellent.
    The fuel distributors did not react so some tanker drivers heeded the call.
    Then we started to have a genuine problem, but we didn’t yet know it.
    Many here can testify they knew of petrol stations with sometimes a full row of pumps out of order. It was all right of course, just the waiting time was a bit longer. And as long as no one mentioned it it remained a local issue, nothing systemic.
    Then things take a turn for the worse, the press starts mentioning it and suddenly it becomes the Beeb’s fault.

Talk about shooting the messenger!

I hope that all those criticising the media coverage realise that they are advocating for a press that only tells you about things when there is nothing you can do to mitigate the effects. A press under government orders, so to speak. It would of course be all for our own good.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 28th September 2021 at 21:52.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I wonder is it legal to drive around with what amounts to a fuel-air bomb on a trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I wonder is it legal to drive around with what amounts to a fuel-air bomb on a trailer?
    I think it is made up, the garage would have to stop him

I think it is made up, the garage would have to stop him
    Not a UK licensed vehicle - rear numberplate is white.

I will be a redneck for sure.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Facebook shite for the sharers I'm afraid. Standard agricultural containers for water or fuel. IBC.

I see my area (SE London/Kent) has been a hot spot in the media for long queues making roads grind to a halt and forecourt fist fights breaking out between queuing motorists. Made me wonder...what happens if you actually run out of petrol and now have to go on foot to fill a 5L can....kind of a bit awkward...how do you queue?

Surely eveybody can access 2m of hose and someone willing to sell some of their unneeded fuel?

Or is syphoning a lost art?

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Surely eveybody can access 2m of hose and someone willing to sell some of their unneeded fuel?

Or is syphoning a lost art?
    I just did that to next-door's ridiculous Chelsea tractor, but I have to admit that it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I see my area (SE London/Kent) has been a hot spot in the media for long queues making roads grind to a halt and forecourt fist fights breaking out between queuing motorists. Made me wonder...what happens if you actually run out of petrol and now have to go on foot to fill a 5L can....kind of a bit awkward...how do you queue?
    I'd suggest approaching someone who was already filling up on a pump, ask them to fill your container and giving them the cash equivalent.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    …………..
    Then things take a turn for the worse, the press starts mentioning it and suddenly it becomes the Beeb’s fault.

Talk about shooting the messenger!

I hope that all those criticising the media coverage realise that they are advocating for a press that only tells you about things when there is nothing you can do to mitigate the effects. A press under government orders, so to speak. It would of course be all for our own good.
    The BBC News at Ten tonight.

“But what do you do to solve a crisis whose main cause is the behaviour of we the consumer…”

So apparently not the BBCs fault at all but the consumers.

Also News at Ten…

“Well the long queues at pumps which followed an initial shortage at a relatively small number of petrol stations has shown how fragile the UKs supply chain can be…”

How many supply chains would cope with panic buying on that scale?

Panic buying

I would argue that the JIT model is very vulnerable to any change of behaviour from any of the actors of the chain, and the slightest disruption snowballed.
    The only way to avoid this is to build resilience in, like having extra drivers and larger stocks in the stations. But of course this has a cost.

Also, the public is not responsible for the failure, just like the public was not responsible for the collapse of Northern Rock: in both cases, it was those companies exposure that were the main cause.

If the reserves in stations had been correctly filled up and deliveries happened as needed, no surge in demand, be it from a “panic buying”, would cause a shortage.

It’s a bit like blaming the public for the lack of hospital beds in winter. After all, if those people didn’t all get ill at the same time the hospital would cope.

Blog Entries
    I would argue that the JIT model is very vulnerable to any change of behaviour from any of the actors of the chain, and the slightest disruption snowballed.
    The only way to avoid this is to build resilience in, like having extra drivers and larger stocks in the stations. But of course this has a cost.

Also, the public is not responsible for the failure, just like the public was not responsible for the collapse of Northern Rock: in both cases, it was those companies exposure that were the main cause.

If the reserves in stations had been correctly filled up and deliveries happened as needed, no surge in demand, be it from a “panic buying”, would cause a shortage.

It’s a bit like blaming the public for the lack of hospital beds in winter. After all, if those people didn’t all get ill at the same time the hospital would cope.
    Yes, it exposes the vulnerability of the system we have.

I don't agree with the BBC's assertion that the "..main cause is the behaviour of we the consumer.." ie the public. The public were led by other actors.

Yes that's true, but the shortages that were happening didn't warrant the media's response to them imo. Especially given past episodes where news stories triggered panic buying. Sometimes there has to be a bigger picture than just 'the story' surely?

Similar yes, but not quite the same. The public don't generally have a choice about getting ill in winter, but panic buying is a choice you make. Although it could be argued that evolution programmed you to make that decision, as a survival mechanism to secure supplies I suppose, which means you had no 'choice'! ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Will soon be PANIC buying Tesco veg oil!

Just imagine what will happen when the UK has shortages of tea!

Then you'll see the collapse of society.

There are clever people in this thread who will no doubt be paid to look at detail and solve problems

This is a failure of lazy ministers who could not be bothered to get close to detail. The media call this 'he/she is not close to their brief'

It's laziness and ineptitude. Cummings said he has never seen such a poor bunch running anything in private companies intelligent people lead teams of other intelligent people and they work things out .

This is a systemic failure, in that I agree with Cummings, we do not have an organisation for to solve issues like pandemics and Brexit whatever. It's a system set up to maintain the 'old ways'

This isnt politics, it's just operational failure. Until we modernise we will keep having these issues

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

As I said earlier our Government are in denial, they keep playing Boris's everything is getting back to normal speech on the radio, I think he has sidestepped reality, yesterday every garage in the town where i work had run out of fuel, the garages in Chelmsford that I passed had no fuel, I had a go in Harlow later and only one garage had fuel but the queue was half a mile long, I went back two hours later and they had run out of fuel, this morning the cones are still out everywhere, glad I stole the wife's car today.

Yes, it exposes the vulnerability of the system we have.

I don't agree with the BBC's assertion that the "..main cause is the behaviour of we the consumer.." ie the public. The public were led by other actors.

Yes that's true, but the shortages that were happening didn't warrant the media's response to them imo. Especially given past episodes where news stories triggered panic buying. Sometimes there has to be a bigger picture than just 'the story' surely?

Similar yes, but not quite the same. The public don't generally have a choice about getting ill in winter, but panic buying is a choice you make. Although it could be argued that evolution programmed you to make that decision, as a survival mechanism to secure supplies I suppose, which means you had no 'choice'! ;-)
    I’ve heard another perspective on this; the media ‘bury’ these stories and we wander into conspiracy theory land. The story no doubt led to what we’ve seen irrespective of the factors causing it, but they’re dammed if they don’t report it.

Just a rotten situation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    There are clever people in this thread who will no doubt be paid to look at detail and solve problems

This is a failure of lazy ministers who could not be bothered to get close to detail. The media call this 'he/she is not close to their brief'

It's laziness and ineptitude. Cummings said he has never seen such a poor bunch running anything in private companies intelligent people lead teams of other intelligent people and they work things out .

This is a systemic failure, in that I agree with Cummings, we do not have an organisation for to solve issues like pandemics and Brexit whatever. It's a system set up to maintain the 'old ways'

This isnt politics, it's just operational failure. Until we modernise we will keep having these issues

Sounds like a description of the Civil Service to me.

Maybe,

Blog Entries
    As I said earlier our Government are in denial, they keep playing Boris's everything is getting back to normal speech on the radio, I think he has sidestepped reality, yesterday every garage in the town where i work had run out of fuel, the garages in Chelmsford that I passed had no fuel, I had a go in Harlow later and only one garage had fuel but the queue was half a mile long, I went back two hours later and they had run out of fuel, this morning the cones are still out everywhere, glad I stole the wife's car today.
    Saw a woman interviewed on the news last night sitting in a queue for fuel. Said she didn’t need to fill up yet but thought she’d better top up her tank.
    The problem in one.

That is unkind. I had a few contacts with the CS in my early years in this country and was always impressed by how efficient and pleasant they were to deal with (it was face to face in these times).
    Also, the alternative to a CS is a Private Service, and I have been really appalled by those large groups who have taken over what was part of the CS, the Centrica, G4S, etc.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 29th September 2021 at 08:28.

Saw a woman interviewed on the news last night sitting in a queue for fuel. Said she didn’t need to fill up yet but thought she’d better top up her tank.
    The problem in one.
    Is that the BBC’s fault?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Is that the BBC’s fault?
    Well, they probably had to speak to a dozen+ people before they found her.

Blog Entries
    Is that the BBC’s fault?
    They triggered the events that put her there in the first place. Well spotted.

Just imagine what will happen when the UK has shortages of tea!

Then you'll see the collapse of society.
    You say that but I'm about to put in a bulk order of Nespresso capsules as the last delivery took two weeks and I was left with the horrible capsules I ordered by mistake and normally save for the window cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    You say that but I'm about to put in a bulk order of Nespresso capsules as the last delivery took two weeks and I was left with the horrible capsules I ordered by mistake and normally save for the window cleaner.
    My Nespresso orders are usually next day delivery, and the Yodel service has been absolutely superb (Yes, Yodel and superb in the same sentence, you read correctly). It is usually the same guy too (yesterday was another).

However, the post you were responding to reminded me of this:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Not sure this is correct. I believe the supermarkets are about the best payers out there. Tesco, Co-op, and Aldi I know for certain have their own drivers and don’t contract out.
    Most of Tesco drivers up north come from an agency called logistics people who are owned by stobarts, the Co-op use the agency ADR and are quite good payers. Aldi i don’t know if they do, but they pride themselves as paying the highest for there own drivers. Lidl well what can you say they are just a shower of shit and after 3 days in there place and seeing some of the stuff that goes on will never step foot in one of there shops ever again !!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

My Nespresso orders are usually next day delivery, and the Yodel service has been absolutely superb (Yes, Yodel and superb in the same sentence, you read correctly). It is usually the same guy too (yesterday was another).
    It was good when it was Yodel. In London now it's via a company called Paack. The only update you get is an SMS once it's been delivered. Zero updates other than that.

Luckily (for me) I have a Nespresso boutique 10 minutes walk away

It was good when it was Yodel. In London now it's via a company called Paack. The only update you get is an SMS once it's been delivered. Zero updates other than that.
    Let Nespresso know. If enough people do it... Also TP, which is quite illuminating

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/paack.co

I currently have 443 delinquent lines of components, petrol, coffee, wood, that's nothing.

my personal view id we are all going to have to go through a reset and a bout of inflation

for too long inflation has been kept artificially low by JIT and cheap labour from overseas

Low inflation leads to low interest rates which relaxes people (it also feed the house market but that's a different story)

Driving and HGV is not a nice social life job, the pay needs to reflect that so market forces attract people into it, not steal people from overseas who'll work for very little, this will make things cost more

Picking fruit is an unpleasant task and the solution is to pay enough to get people to do it, not import cheap labour, it makes fruit more expensive but it's the real price, no one is going to invest in inventing a machine which human labour is cheaper

Being a carerm being a nurse etc etc etc

all of this needs a reset, it will hurt but we'll end up with higher interest rates, higher but real wages and a higher cost of living, but it will be the real price and sustainable

I used to be a window cleaner and if I was offered your rubbish coffee, I'd leave streaks all over your glass and you could kiss my arse

They triggered the events that put her there in the first place. Well spotted.
    Waaaaaay, the Oakey Kokey.

I used to be a window cleaner and if I was offered your rubbish coffee, I'd leave streaks all over your glass and you could kiss my arse
    He loves it, he gets a double shot with lots of chocolate on top, and a nature valley bar. He sits at the table enjoying life for 5 minutes.

He must be plopping wet sawdust in the van after that combo though, not ideal.

Sadly we can't use him in the new house because he uses one of those brooms with a hose in the middle and we don't have double glazing.