closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Sainsbury's on the A10 in Enfield just got a delivery if anyone's local.

My mum said people on an app called Next Door are updating where has some.

My local Tesco’s express must have had a delivery this morning as its absolute bedlam and mayhem within a mile radius of the petrol station.

Buses are also now being diverted which caught my daughter out as she caught it thinking it was going to take he to the local LT station.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    My point still stands. A great many people were purely thinking "Me! Me! Me!" rather than considering the bigger picture.

We shouldn't need to be spoon-fed how to behave sensibly and courteously, with the greater good in mind. This is the whole problem with society - no one cares about anyone else or what effect their actions might have on others.

Anyway, the Army's here now so civilisation as we know it has been saved.
    Since good manners cost nothing and produce good results, they were made redundant, no profit in them in today's market Led/ ME! Me! Me! driven consumer economies.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st October 2021 at 14:22.

Don't know about the rest of the country but fuel is very scarce in and around Watford Herts. Most of the local stations near me have been closed most of the time since last week. When a fuel delivery does arrive the queues are horrendous: Yesterday there was a delivery to the large Watford "Waterfields" Tesco Extra station mid-morning and by lunch time there were 100+ cars in the queue and fuel ran out that afternoon. Similarly an Esso station with a small Tesco Express had a delivery, which generated queues blocking whole roads and junctions, the Police had to come and direct traffic. Most of the other local stations are closed. I experienced both above myself, just couldn't bring myself to join the queues and risk burning what I had left in the tank waiting with no guarantee of actually getting any petrol. Though I did hear that there was petrol available at the stations off the Dome Roundabout today.,..so might have to check that out later.

Both the cars in the family are now running on fumes. Just as well I WFH and wife can walk to work. Others are not so lucky. We've already cancelled some trips we would have made this weekend - these were fairly unimportant in the scheme of things but inconvenient nonetheless.

If you can get fuel without problems count yourselves lucky but please don't dismiss it by saying it's a storm in a teacup!

Blog Entries
    Eddie,
    Just close this thread before the usual suspects explodeor send it to the pit
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    There’s a Tesco petrol station less than a mile from where I live. This seems to have had a delivery almost everyday for the past 3 days, as every time I get remotely near it, it’s gridlock with queues from all directions.
    On my way to Greenwich today and the past couple of days, the same 4 or 5 petrol stations were virtually out. Tesco Lewisham was queuing this morning, Shell opposite Lewisham hospital was queuing Monday, was open Tuesday for diesel only with a £30 limit, but yesterday and today, empty again.

I would say from what I’ve seen. It’s far from getting back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    My local Tesco’s express must have had a delivery this morning as its absolute bedlam and mayhem within a mile radius of the petrol station.

Buses are also now being diverted which caught my daughter out as she caught it thinking it was going to take he to the local LT station.
    Is part of the problem what’s app groups getting together and spying on when the next fuel tanker pulls in? You are automatically going to get dozens of people rushing down there at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Eddie,
    Just close this thread before the usual suspects explodeor send it to the pit
    Pm him your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Is part of the problem what’s app groups getting together and spying on when the next fuel tanker pulls in? You are automatically going to get dozens of people rushing down there at the same time.
    Like a Scooby Doo chase scene.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I’m using one of these so should be good for a while https://bestdealtoday.net/milesboost...-so-afraid-of/

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Like a Scooby Doo chase scene.
    Someone at the petrol stations needs to get some 60s music over the tannoy as they pull into fill up

I still believe this has to be self-limiting. The delivery rate didn't change overnight, the supply issue has been brewing for months. But there must be a huge proportion of cars that usually sit between empty and 1/4 tank the whole time that have all demanded a full tank and will start to run between 3/4 and full. I'll continue to wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post
    There’s a Tesco petrol station less than a mile from where I live. This seems to have had a delivery almost everyday for the past 3 days, as every time I get remotely near it, it’s gridlock with queues from all directions.
    On my way to Greenwich today and the past couple of days, the same 4 or 5 petrol stations were virtually out. Tesco Lewisham was queuing this morning, Shell opposite Lewisham hospital was queuing Monday, was open Tuesday for diesel only with a £30 limit, but yesterday and today, empty again.

I'm close by and I think we are in a pretty bad area. I went for a run around the local garages out of curiosity about the queue. Tesco Sidcup had staff members waving motorists away to prevent them queuing for an empty station.

I haven't attempted to look for petrol as I have enough for a while based on how much I use the car. You could try West Wickham, near McDonalds - a friend of mine queued for 40 mins yesterday and managed to get some diesel. She did say there were arguments and plenty of honking but that's pretty much a given at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by deanlad View Post

The garages that are setting an upper limit on the amount you can spend are merely encouraging the problem. lots of people are topping up with small amounts whenever they have a chance which all takes time and feared the queues.

Setting a minimum spend of, say, £25 will mean that people put more regular amounts of fuel in when they stop but stop less frequently and therefore reduce the queues. Putting £50 in takes barely any more time than putting £5 in the overall time of a stop for fuel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm close by and I think we are in a pretty bad area. I went for a run around the local garages out of curiosity about the queue. Tesco Sidcup had staff members waving motorists away to prevent them queuing for an empty station.
    Sidcup is my closest Tesco petrol station, use Momentum 99, and where I usually fill up a whole tank from nearly empty every 2/3 weeks. Last Friday I needed to fill up but it was absolute pandemonium everywhere local so quickly gave up and used my parents' car as it had half a tank left. Hoped things would have blown over by this weekend so haven't used my car all week until last night to try and find petrol. The BP on Bromley Common, who jacked their price to £1.44 last Friday, were still out but the nearby Shell which had a massive queue so carried on to Tesco's in Sevenoaks. There was a queue but it moved quite quickly so managed to fill up without any maximum spend which was a relief as I was on the red by that point. Got in just in time as well as when I left there they had closed the forecourt.
    Last edited by mactrack; 1st October 2021 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Setting a minimum spend of, say, £25 will mean that people put more regular amounts of fuel in when they stop but stop less frequently and therefore reduce the queues. Putting £50 in takes barely any more time than putting £5 in the overall time of a stop for fuel.
    Unenforceable. If someone comes in and can only fit £20 of fuel in their car the garage cannot charge them £25.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Unenforceable. If someone comes in and can only fit £20 of fuel in their car the garage cannot charge them £25.
    Don't see why not, it would be £25 of fuel anyway. Think there's often been a £5 minimum charge before this nonsense.

Obviously there could be discretion for motorbikes etc.

Of course they can, they can legally charge what they want. As long as the policy is well displayed, a customer who refuses to pay and drives off may be charged with theft in the same way as someone who just drives off.

Master
    As an aside, I received an annoying email from Shell offering me 8p off every litre.... Their forecourt has been closed for 10 days

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Of course they can, they can legally charge what they want. As long as the policy is well displayed, a customer who refuses to pay and drives off may be charged with theft in the same way as someone who just drives off.
    No they can't. They can charge what they want for an amount but cannot arbitrarily charge a fixed amount for a variable quantity of fuel. Have you ever wondered why nobody is doing this? It's currently illegal and long may it remain so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't see why not, it would be £25 of fuel anyway. Think there's often been a £5 minimum charge before this nonsense.

Obviously there could be discretion for motorbikes etc.
    I've never known a minimum amount of fuel requirement; I have known a minimum cost in order to use a debit/credit card and that can often be £5. Who would ever need less than £5 of fuel anyway? To fill a gallon/5-litre container costs more than this.

I've never known a minimum amount of fuel requirement; I have known a minimum cost in order to use a debit/credit card and that can often be £5. Who would ever need less than £5 of fuel anyway? To fill a gallon/5-litre container costs more than this.
    There has been a minimum volume for many years, certainly in Scotland.

I recall, in the mid 80’s, having to run my motorbike nearly empty to leave enough space to comply with what was written on the pumps.

I'm sure there's signage on the pump stating that the minimum amount dispensed is x litres. I always thought that was for Weights & Measures purposes.

Anyhoo: Sainsburys Prestwick at 1315hrs today, no queue, no maximum amounts on fuel & 130.9p per litre for unleaded. Happy days!
    ______

​Jim.

No they can't. They can charge what they want for an amount but cannot arbitrarily charge a fixed amount for a variable quantity of fuel. Have you ever wondered why nobody is doing this? It's currently illegal and long may it remain so.
    Exactly what law would they be breaking?

Grand Master
    No fuel problems in WF6, had a walk out this afternoon and the fulling stations looked very normal. I suspect the problems vary massively from one region to another and there’s more of a problem in the over crowded Home Counties.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel, actually. What with a weather forecast that looks pants and the likely fuel-related stress it'll hardly be a relaxing weekend of riding blissfully around the coast.
    Just been mulling this over on the Triumph forum, and one of the guys there made a very pragmatic point.

You should be able to get there and back on a tank. If you can’t fill up along the way, just explore on foot and have a mini break, nice meals and sample too much beer - all the while knowing you can get home.

If there’s fuel then you revert to plan A and zoom around and enjoy the new bike.
    Sounds pretty doable, assuming I can fill up before I leave.

The fuel in the car had reached the point where it wouldn't see us through the essential journeys of the week so I nipped out at 6:45am for a scout around. The nearest Tesco was closed with no fuel, but Morrisons had petrol on all pumps and diesel on about half, with three vehicles on the forecourt. On the way back at 7:00am I spotted that the small Jet garage was also open with no queuing but the BP on the A45 already had cars backing up towards the entrance slip road.

There have been a couple of benefits although I expect short-lived; far fewer motorists have been hooning around at 90-odd on the dual carriageways as people attempt to conserve fuel, and Mrs C has finally been convinced of the prudence of filling the car up when fuel gets low instead of just sticking 20 quids worth in.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

Journeyman
    Back to normal in Worcester…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems in Darlington yesterday,
    Except for these idiots...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-58767230

Wasssup

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m using one of these so should be good for a while https://bestdealtoday.net/milesboost...-so-afraid-of/
    What an excellent idea - I have ordered those for all our cars. good spot!!!

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The fuel in the car had reached the point where it wouldn't see us through the essential journeys of the week so I nipped out at 6:45am for a scout around. The nearest Tesco was closed with no fuel, but Morrisons had petrol on all pumps and diesel on about half, with three vehicles on the forecourt. On the way back at 7:00am I spotted that the small Jet garage was also open with no queuing but the BP on the A45 already had cars backing up towards the entrance slip road.

There have been a couple of benefits although I expect short-lived; far fewer motorists have been hooning around at 90-odd on the dual carriageways as people attempt to conserve fuel, and Mrs C has finally been convinced of the prudence of filling the car up when fuel gets low instead of just sticking 20 quids worth in.
    That’s interesting I thought it was just my mrs that did this ever since she bought the car the petrol gauge has permanently been on just below 1/4 full

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    That’s interesting I thought it was just my mrs that did this ever since she bought the car the petrol gauge has permanently been on just below 1/4 full
    My wife also does this, she blames the clicky clicky nozzle which for her always seems to click off when filling up. Told her just rotate the nozzle either way but for her it’s easier to stop filling at the first click?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post

B
    Save your money…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_saving_device
    Last edited by Ares; 2nd October 2021 at 17:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Wow. Notice how the whole thing is framed as a conspiracy? And I particularly enjoyed the 'how does it actually work?' section, which doesn't address how it actually works;

How Does it Actually Work?

MilesBoosterX® utilizes an innovative technology used by thousands of motorists around the world to reduce exhaust emissions, enhance the efficiency of their engines or RV generators and save money on fuels like Diesel, gasoline, and LPG..
    The MilesBoosterX® fuel saver systems are used in cars, SUVs, trucks, buses, boats, and Motorhomes or RV generators and are ecologically suitable as they lower emissions when fuel becomes more combustive and volatile when passed through monopolar magnetic field. With fewer emissions of NOx, HC, and CO, there are more fuel savings..
    With MilesBoosterX® you get several enrichments in vehicles like less noise, enhanced elasticity, more powerful engine or generator, combustion chamber free of carbon varnish, the increased durability of engine and super clean injectors.
    The vehicle can use lower octane fuel instead of premium one and the resale value of the vehicle will increase along with the additional benefit of transferring durable MilesBoosterX® from an old vehicle to a new one.
    The product is easy to install as it instantly snaps onto engine lines and fits snugly without the requirement of modification or cutting. Since no modification is required in installation, thus the manufacturer’s warranty stays intact.
    MilesBoosterX® centers on the unipolar magnetic field which is completely safe for the engine, people or electronic systems.

B
    Please tell me you are joking.

Edit: I see I’ve been beaten to it above.

If that was posted as a wind up, then ok. Otherwise OMG as da yoof say.

B
    Oh dear...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Snakeoil FFS
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If those magnetic water descalers work...

Obviously those magnetic things are pure fantasy however anyone looking to save money on fuel needs one of these. For a convenient one off payment of £19.99 I can send you one of these which I can guarantee will save you money
    Pm me and I’ll give you my bank details

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's another, might be worth a punt https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeeda-Devic...dp/B09HCCY7SK/

Last edited by Kingstepper; 2nd October 2021 at 20:58.

Lol got me Kingstepper!

Lol got me Kingstepper!
    Well I hope no-one here's buying any!

Well I hope no-one here's buying any!
    5 for a tenner equates to a 25% fuel saving, might need to wire in a few more cigar lighter sockets!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    5 for a tenner equates to a 25% fuel saving, might need to wire in a few more cigar lighter sockets!
    So for £40 you can buy 20 of them and achieve a 100% save. With £80 you can buy 40 of them and actually produce the same amount of fuel you used to spend. Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    So for £40 you can buy 20 of them and achieve a 100% save. With £80 you can buy 40 of them and actually produce the same amount of fuel you used to spend. Brilliant.
    Alas, I fear that your mathematics may be flawed as I believe that introducing additional devices will only have an iterative effect. Repeatedly applying a 5% saving will tend towards a total saving limit of 100%, but 40 units will just save a tad over 87%.
    Inform - Educate - Entertain

Master
    Here's another, might be worth a punt https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yeeda-Devic...dp/B09HCCY7SK/

Can you imagine running this past the Dragons