closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Panic buying

Neither of our local Tesco or Sainsbury's have empty shelves but we've noticed both have their shelves stacked differently.
    Stock is spread further along the shelves rather than stacked deeper, the shelves look just as full but there's actually less of it and less choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    As a root-cause analysis………. That is it - in a nutshell.
    As this is the George & Dragon and not the Bear Pit, I'll simply say: 'BS.' (And don't take my comment as any indication as to how I voted in the referendum).

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    As this is the George & Dragon and not the Bear Pit, I'll simply say: 'BS.' (And don't take my comment as any indication as to how I voted in the referendum).
    You make a convincing argument…………………..

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Neither of our local Tesco or Sainsbury's have empty shelves but we've noticed both have their shelves stacked differently.
    Stock is spread further along the shelves rather than stacked deeper, the shelves look just as full but there's actually less of it and less choice.
    I was in Cuba the last time I saw that trick
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I wish I was back there.

I’ve just passed a petrol station (in my electric van) which was closed for fuel earlier today.

Now, everything looks normal, most of the pumps occupied, no queues and cars parked in the bays for shopping.

Blog Entries
    Folks this is the G&D if you want to politicise this thread take it to the PIT
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    There are no empty shelves or queues for food. At worst there are some products that were absent this morning, some brands of bottled water being the only one I really noticed, not that I buy it. There are queues for petrol despite there being no shortage and caused by scare stories in the media as articulated many, many times in this thread.
    Totally agree with this. I've never experienced any empty shelves. I've seen quite a few on here posting pics of empty shelves and wonder where the hell they must shop.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Totally agree with this. I've never experienced any empty shelves. I've seen quite a few on here posting pics of empty shelves and wonder where the hell they must shop.
    The local Coop has had low stock of fresh veg, meat and frozen goods for the past couple of weeks but today its the worst I've seen since the first lockdown shenanigans. Maybe a lot of people have shopped nearby to avoid using fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Folks this is the G&D if you want to politicise this thread take it to the PIT
    Good point - I thought this was a BP thread! Will scuttle back that way now...

Master
    The local Coop has had low stock of fresh veg, meat and frozen goods for the past couple of weeks but today its the worst I've seen since the first lockdown shenanigans. Maybe a lot of people have shopped nearby to avoid using fuel.
    Coop, is that even a proper supermarket? Maybe you should try somewhere else.

I was in Sainsburys Prestwick.

Instead of stock going to the back of the shelf, there's only one or two rows. Some shelves have cardboard displays to fill them up.
    ______

​Jim.

Locally, Asda have been crap for nearly a year. Aldi, Sainsbury have been great. We have no local Tesco or Morrisons so have no experience of their situation. Local Coop has also been goo but it's a small shop.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

What a strange post

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What a strange post
    I wonder where he gets his chickens from?

The hyphens were out of stock

So were the full stops

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ons-close.html

So the daily mail has gone from only a small percent of petrol stations are out of fuel to 90% I am sure this is nothing to do with the DM goading the public into panic buying on a daily basis. Apparently the DM is now telling us that people are panic buying turkeys expecting a shortage for Christmas.

Never mind driver shortage there seems to be a shortage of responsible journalists in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Never mind driver shortage there seems to be a shortage of responsible journalists in this country.
    Typed a whole message there and realised it was getting political again :)

Yeah, journalists, or more specifically many of the papers they work for, have been rather unreliable for some years.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    I was in Sainsburys Prestwick.

Instead of stock going to the back of the shelf, there's only one or two rows. Some shelves have cardboard displays to fill them up.
    There is something else: sell-by dates are much, much shorter on fresh foods.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    The hyphens were out of stock

So were the full stops
    Blame Tapatalk for that. It does it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    There is something else: sell-by dates are much, much shorter on fresh foods.
    Absolutely noticed that too, we are going to stop our Morrisons delivery as it’s getting so bad, not picking it yourself does give them a opportunity to send out short dated stuff I guess, last week we got a delivery on Saturday and the fresh chicken had that days date on it so we had to have Sunday lunch on Saturday. Emailed to let them know but no reply as yet.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Absolutely noticed that too, we are going to stop our Morrisons delivery as it’s getting so bad, not picking it yourself does give them a opportunity to send out short dated stuff I guess, last week we got a delivery on Saturday and the fresh chicken had that days date on it so we had to have Sunday lunch on Saturday. Emailed to let them know but no reply as yet.
    Is there no option to get a refund? On Asda we can simply ask for a refund if dates are too short. Pretty sure our Sainsbury’s account is the same.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is there no option to get a refund? On Asda we can simply ask for a refund if dates are too short. Pretty sure our Sainsbury’s account is the same.
    Same via Amazon/Morrisons.

Can we get a refund on Brexit?

SydR

Panic buying

On our drive to Linlithgow and back today we passed around a dozen fuel stations and not one had a queue.

However, Sainsbury are citing problems getting fuel for their delivery vehicles as the reason our delivery is running at least three hours and a half late. Should have been here by 7pm and still no sign of it. Called them up and it’s still “en-route”!
    Last edited by SydR; 26th September 2021 at 23:42.

I can picture the scene.

"Sorry kids, no Sunday lunch but we did get a refund."

"Oh, okay, cool."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Awwww.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Perhaps you need to apply on your account. Seems to work normally with most supermarkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Same via Amazon/Morrisons.

Perhaps you need to apply on your account. Seems to work normally with most supermarkets.
    The wife runs the app / account and she said that you have to email them, I think you can let the delivery driver know and they can adjust on their delivery zapper thing but we didn’t notice it on delivery.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    You gotta receipt mate?

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    ...and a lot would schedule this for off peak cheap rates...
    Ah, but how long will there be an off-peak rate once everyone is charging their EVs overnight?

As usual, there are pros and cons to everything.

Today it's fuel shortages, next week it'll be the horrendous price of electricity (or was that last week?).

I was a bit aggrieved to be harangued as a 'w***er' by a drunk in the pub opposite the petrol station I queued at on Saturday.

I did feel a bit of an idiot queuing, but with 3 140 mile round trips over the next few days, I decided to queue while I knew I could get fuel.

At least I wasn't pissed enough to shout at strangers at 4 in the afternoon....

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    You gotta receipt mate?
    To be fair someone pointed out a huge advantage of Brexit - Salaries for HGV drivers have gone up dramatically!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

All this is less about Brexit, and more about people being a bit hard of thinking. I remember the TV interviews with idiots during Covid lockdown, who had travelled across-country to go to the beach and were disappointed that so many people were there, not respecting the stay at home order.

Those same idiots are now well stocked with toilet paper, and spent their weekend queuing outside Shell.

My local Teso has all the 'empty shelf' symptoms - products stacked wide and shallow, cardboard shelf fillers, and many shelves half full. My friend who works there says they've never seen the store room so empty.

Another thought - if there really are no shortages, and the problems are caused solely by a lack of HGV drivers, where is all the stuff? If the quantity of goods manufactured and imported is unchanged, and is not in consumers' houses, where is it? Piling up in distribution warehouses? Stuck at the container port? Sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded?
    Last edited by hogthrob; 27th September 2021 at 11:26.

The Coop is the public sector of supermarkets.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I wonder where he gets his chickens from?
    Don't know but I bet they were going cheap.

We've run out of hummus crisps at the deli bloody brexit

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Last week the petrol station at the top of my road was closed. As were (intermittently) the two independents about a few miles away. I had to fill up with premium fuel the weekend before last as there wasn't anything else at the BP/M&S 7 miles away.

The fuel distribution problem is real and has been around for at least a couple of weeks (that I've noticed).

This was all before panic buying kicked off, which clearly compounded the issue - but did not cause it.

Blaming people for an entirely rational response to an issue that was clearly happening is deflecting the blame from those it should be directed at. People react the same in every country in the world when faced with shortages of key consumables. Planners know this, and it was all foreseen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    We've run out of hummus crisps at the deli bloody brexit

Surely that's a benefit? They sound bloody awful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Last week the petrol station at the top of my road was closed. As were (intermittently) the two independents about a few miles away. I had to fill up with premium fuel the weekend before last as there wasn't anything else at the BP/M&S 7 miles away.

The fuel distribution problem is real and has been around for at least a couple of weeks (that I've noticed).

This was all before panic buying kicked off, which clearly compounded the issue - but did not cause it.

Blaming people for an entirely rational response to an issue that was clearly happening is deflecting the blame from those it should be directed at. People react the same in every country in the world when faced with shortages of key consumables. Planners know this, and it was all foreseen.
    Not sure I agree with all of the above, yes, we knew of driver shortages but the fact that people panicked led to the fuel running out in a majority of stations, if everyone had carried on as normal then this wouldn't have happened, but then we are talking about the good old British public, the same people that Boris trusted to use their common sense at the beginning of the pandemic, lol.
    I did like the comment this morning on the radio from a foreign lorry driver, he mentioned about the stickers you see regarding, " a dog is for life not just for xmas " the same goes for lorry drivers.

In Europe they get paid more, have better working conditions and are nearer home.

The solution is to make the job financially attractive over here . Same with all the other jobs we have short supply of.

Did anyone really expect these jobs to be filled at the current wages and working conditions in UK kitchens , care homes and on the roads?

Anyways Brexit might have caused major issues with haulage but it has saved the U.K. fishing industry which I’m lead to believe is now booming!

So swings and roundabouts.

In Europe they get paid more, have better working conditions and are nearer home.

The solution is to make the job financially attractive over here . Same with all the other jobs we have short supply of.

Did anyone really expect these jobs to be filled at the current wages and working conditions in UK kitchens , care homes and on the roads?

A serious question, how would all these increases be financed ?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Well it's easy, we have 350b more a week since Brexit, was written on a bus so must be true, we can use all this spare money

Blog Entries
    Yes, I wonder how they manage to pay more on the continent?

Well it's easy, we have 350b more a week since Brexit, was written on a bus so must be true, we can use all this spare money

Problem is the bus has run out of fuel

Master
    Via the end prices we all pay in the shops/restaurants/care homes etc?

Cheap imported labour has distorted the jobs market in some sectors, it will take a while to correct, but it will.

Not sure where you are referring to in Europe but the exact same tactic of employing cheap Labour from abroad is used as it has been here for the same low wages. I am sure “officially” it all looks wonderful with a high minimum wage, workers rights etc but the reality is very different.