closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Equipping a home workshop

Master

Equipping a home workshop

I've decided to commandeer the large shed in the garden for a workshop so I can 'do stuff'.

Recently bought an old Record bench vice as part of getting things ready.

Now I already have a bunch of tools - the usual screwdrivers; drills; hammers etc. I also have a circular saw somewhere; a Dremel-type tool; electric plane etc.

So, to equip any self-respecting workshop for work mainly to do with wood, what else is worth looking at / considering?

I have been looking at a bench / pillar drill and a bandsaw for example.

I have a long piece of kitchen worktop which I'll use as a work-bench (fixed to a table).

Really interested in any pictures of real-life workshops that you have and also what tools/equipment you may have bought and then never used or not used as much.

Long-term project but am keen to buy a couple more pieces - because I'm a man and we like to buy stuff.
    Last edited by bambam; 1st October 2021 at 08:00.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Some interesting tools mentioned in this thread.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Master
    Plenty of suggestions at https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+working+tools plus there are loads on tiny workshops

Blog Entries
    Most of the machinery in my workshop is for metalworking, so probably not applicable.

However I do have two bandsaws, one metal cutting and one for wood/composites.
    One thing I've learned is not many people complain about having bandsaws etc which were too much for what they needed. Too little however.....
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Comfy armchair and a small fridge.

In a slightly more serious note I am assuming you have power but think about data or WiFi. Very helpful for those "how to" videos on YouTube.

Bench vice isn't great for woodwork - ideally you need a woodworker's vice on a proper bench.

Think about dust extraction, especially if you'll be using a router, electric sander, table saw or similar.

I often mess about with woodworking and I couldn’t do without my bench belt / disc sander.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    4" bench sander indeed... Good call.

Bench grinder, pillar drill, band saw, router table, jigsaw, clamps of all shapes and sizes, proper big boy set of drill bits

Like all tools, they always seem like overkill until you need one and buy cheap buy twice usually rings very true in both performance and reliability, find.

My rule is that if I ever borrow one, I buy one asap and I'm never caught out again.

Master
    Thanks all.

To answer a couple of points:
    - yes we have power in the shed - plenty of sockets as it was used as an office before we moved in
    - the WiFi reaches into the shed - I think. Will check tomorrow
    - have been thinking about dust extraction - any pointers on that would be useful
    - I know I need a proper woodwork vice, but the small Record one I bought is lovely and so well made I couldn’t resist
    - having watched a few of the videos suggested, I’m weighing up between a bandsaw and a table saw

It looks a router would be high on the list so any recommendations would be useful.

Thanks

Eqipping a home workshop

I’ve a Festool dust extractor to connect to power tools. Not cheap but good.

Also have one of these to take out fine airborne dust- https://www.recordpower.co.uk/produc...y#.YU4laSV4UlQ.

Bosch routers are decent - if buying Bosch go for the blue (professional) tools not the green ones. If considering a router maybe get a router table too if you have room and budget will stretch to one.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 24th September 2021 at 20:33.

Master
    Boring I know but good quality shelving or racking is also very useful, if only to store the more interesting power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Comfy armchair and a small fridge.
    ..........and a lockable filing cabinet to store ones `reference literature`....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I’ve a Festool dust extractor to connect to power tools. Not cheap but good.

Also have one of these to take out fine airborne dust- https://www.recordpower.co.uk/produc...y#.YU4laSV4UlQ.

Bosch routers are decent - if buying Bosch go for the blue (professional) tools not the green ones. If considering a router maybe get a router table too if you have room and budget will stretch to one.
    Thanks. Will have a look at those for dust extraction and also the options for a router / router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Boring I know but good quality shelving or racking is also very useful, if only to store the more interesting power tools.
    Thanks. Have loads of shelving in there already as well as some bookcases.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    ..........and a lockable filing cabinet to store ones `reference literature`....
    That’s very old school, that’s what wifi in the shed is for these days. 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

^^^^Sometimes it makes a change to re-visit the old ways...

Blog Entries
    I agree with the comments on dust extraction. It's very important not to breathe it in. Especially some of the composites and metal dust. Some woods are very bad as well leading to severe rashes and allergies, cocobolo for example. I use a JSP Powercap as well as a dust extractor which can be directed to each machine. https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/jsp-power...RoCe5wQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I often mess about with woodworking and I couldn’t do without my bench belt / disc sander.
    Belt sander (grinder) you say?

^ There must be some mistake, mine doesn’t look like that! 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ There must be some mistake, mine doesn’t look like that! 😁
    Ha ha! 😂
    2hp 3 phase motors running through inverters for variable speed running with little loss of torque, 2”x72” belts.
    A bit over the top for most workshops but if you need to move a lot of metal or wood these are the business. Not very forgiving on fingers though and create dust like there’s no tomorrow! 😂

Best thing for a workshop of any kind is skills, not suggesting you are but there is no point buying tools if your kack handed or dont know what you want to do/make.

Figure what your interest is in and build your tools and skills up around that interest is my advice..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Best thing for a workshop of any kind is skills, not suggesting you are but there is no point buying tools if your kack handed or dont know what you want to do/make.

Figure what your interest is in and build your tools and skills up around that interest is my advice..
    Very good advice. No point having tools and machinery if they aren’t needed.

From a personal point of view, I'd say you need lots of bench top, lots of shelving, and lots of organization. I have none of those, it seems.

You can make a surprisingly stable and usable portable work bench with some Stanley saw horses, some 4x2s, and some sheet material (ply is no longer economically viable :-) )

You could do worse than get a shop-vac like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...220-240v/665kh They have a built in power socket that you plug your power tool into, and the vacuum turns on automatically when you start the tool.

Eye protection (safety squints won't do), ear protection and a decent dust mask are essental. Don't forget the workshop cat.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

I have some experience having built a couple of things in the past. By no means an expert though. Most of the bigger tools are all stuck behind other things in the garage etc and I don’t have a dedicated space to do anything which is why I thought I’d use the big shed we have.

To start with I’m thinking of making some outdoor furniture and a drop box like the one in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    From a personal point of view, I'd say you need lots of bench top, lots of shelving, and lots of organization. I have none of those, it seems.

You can make a surprisingly stable and usable portable work bench with some Stanley saw horses, some 4x2s, and some sheet material (ply is no longer economically viable :-) )

You could do worse than get a shop-vac like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb...220-240v/665kh They have a built in power socket that you plug your power tool into, and the vacuum turns on automatically when you start the tool.

Eye protection (safety squints won't do), ear protection and a decent dust mask are essental. Don't forget the workshop cat.
    Thanks. That vac does look like the kind of thing I need. Love your workshop by the way!

Also like the work bench you’ve made.

I think a router and a vac would be top of the list of tools to acquire at the moment. Will need to check on the situation regarding saws, chisels etc. Definitely had some...

Journeyman
    I'd get a bandsaw and router before a table saw, they will do most of the things you see 'murican tubers doing on a TS and much safer

What to get though, depends on what style of build you want to do - lots of stuff with sheet goods, then a tracksaw and mft style bench

stuff with solid wood, trad workbench, bandsaw router, or if going old school hand planes.

I use a chip extractor for the planer/thicknesser and a shopvac for everything else (fein 25l dustex class l, with a cyclone and barrel as the first stage)

if running machinery, get a <2.5 pm particle monitor and see how fast it goes red and how long it stays there!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    I'd get a bandsaw and router before a table saw, they will do most of the things you see 'murican tubers doing on a TS and much safer

What to get though, depends on what style of build you want to do - lots of stuff with sheet goods, then a tracksaw and mft style bench

stuff with solid wood, trad workbench, bandsaw router, or if going old school hand planes.

I use a chip extractor for the planer/thicknesser and a shopvac for everything else (fein 25l dustex class l, with a cyclone and barrel as the first stage)

if running machinery, get a <2.5 pm particle monitor and see how fast it goes red and how long it stays there!
    Thanks. Solid wood more than sheet stuff. Will have a look at a chip extractor as well.
    What sort of bandsaw would you recommend to look at? Seen a few used ones locally but not sure what I should be looking at.

Cheers

A lathe is always handy, I have a Myford Super 7, fine for wood or metal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I put a cheap DAB radio on a shelf in on the wall behind my bench along with a Bluetooth speaker and IPhone holder.
    Also a small shelf which is half a glasses case to hold my reading glasses.
    Then a peg board to hold tools I may need while working at the bench,files,screwdrivers,spanner’s,hack saws etc. most everything else is in Halford pro storage units and a vintage snap on box.
    My racking I purposely fitted to hold specific items like bike stands and the like.
    A good quality broom,handle drilled and secured to the wall.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks. Solid wood more than sheet stuff. Will have a look at a chip extractor as well.
    What sort of bandsaw would you recommend to look at? Seen a few used ones locally but not sure what I should be looking at.

Cheers
    Biggest one in your budget, bandsaws are all about the rigidity of the frame. So the more tension you can get on a bigger blade the better, look for a tension release lever too, wish mine had one. And decent guides with bearings.

The Record BS250is a decent small bandsaw. Whichever you choose, make sure it has a decent depth of cut.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The Record BS250is a decent small bandsaw. Whichever you choose, make sure it has a decent depth of cut.
    There's also the newer, better specified (though more expensive) Sabre-250.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seang View Post
    Biggest one in your budget, bandsaws are all about the rigidity of the frame. So the more tension you can get on a bigger blade the better, look for a tension release lever too, wish mine had one. And decent guides with bearings.
    This. I never heard anyone complain about having too big a bandsaw.

Light. Lots and lots of light.

I've got most of what I need in my workshop but it's so dark, even in the middle of a summers day. I've got a number of work lights in there but there's no substitute for sunlight if at all possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Light. Lots and lots of light.

I've got most of what I need in my workshop but it's so dark, even in the middle of a summers day. I've got a number of work lights in there but there's no substitute for sunlight if at all possible.
    Thanks. Have good light as there are windows on 2 sides.
    Been looking at the Record band saws... watched a few videos on their use etc.

Craftsman
    In my man cave / workshop I have
    2 Roll cabinets and a metal desk with lockable drawers, all with butchers block tops, heavy duty racking where I keep my winter wheels among other things and lots of unused tools lol. I bought a decent vice, and I've got pretty much a full set of Erbauer 18V power tools which all share the same batteries, a laptop and speakers, a bluetooth portable speaker. Lots of plug sockets, portable lights with a stand, jetwash and vacuum. I would like to get a benchtop grinder / polisher and a bench drill. I have absolutely no use for either, but would like them regardless. A bandsaw would be nice too.

Craftsman
    Get the catalogues from Screwfix and Toolstation ... useful reference on what stuff is available and less hassle then using their websites (old school is sometimes better LOL).

Master
    My aim at the moment is to make loads of chopping boards from some logs I have from a tree that we had cut down.
    Or it will be once I have cleared the shed and bought some tools.
    Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    My aim at the moment is to make loads of chopping boards from some logs I have from a tree that we had cut down.
    Or it will be once I have cleared the shed and bought some tools.
    Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year?

I don't want to teach you how to suck eggs, but is the wood dry, and do you know about wood movement? What species is it?

I appreciate that the OP's shed already exists, but for anyone else reading this thread who may be buying/building their own workshop, having an internal ceiling height adequate to turn an 8' x 4' sheet over across its diagonal corners (without bashing it into the ceiling) is quite handy.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Check Facebook marketplace for equipment, lots of bargains to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Check Facebook marketplace for equipment, lots of bargains to be had.
    Absolutely, I’ve had some great bargains this way.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I've overlooked it reading the previous postings. But some kind of heater/heating is really nice. I startered this winter with a Zibro, but that wasn't enough. I was burning fuel for nothing. So I changed tactics.

I have an almighty big Déom Turbo (15 Kw) heater in my barn. That is enough to warm up a very spacious barn (22x9x3.5 m / 72x30x11 ft). It burns complete tree-trunks, provided they're dry and cut into 2ft pieces.

This is a video with a small Deom. Mine is a lot larger. But this guy has a well-insulated workshop. I don't have that luxury. Btw, check out this guy's whole YT channel. Mouthwatering when it comes to workshops!

Last edited by thieuster; 1st October 2021 at 16:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I appreciate that the OP's shed already exists, but for anyone else reading this thread who may be buying/building their own workshop, having an internal ceiling height adequate to turn an 8' x 4' sheet over across its diagonal corners (without bashing it into the ceiling) is quite handy.
    Why diagonally?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why diagonally?
    Because it can be rotated over corner to corner without needing to do back breaking contortions.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Because it can be rotated over corner to corner without needing to do back breaking contortions.
    Okay, fair enough (though not sure too important for woodworking - I'd cut it down outside if that was easier).

Here's a tidy shop BTW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBNkCm2-jTY
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 1st October 2021 at 19:47.