closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone growing orchids?

Anyone growing orchids?

We have 3 orchids and have had them for quite a few years. They all came from supermarkets and the labels identifying them are long gone. They all flower once a year except las year when one of them didn't flower at all, instead growing 4 plantlets on the main stem. I've successfully removed and repotted these plantlets but I was curious to know why it sent out new plants instead of flowers, anyone know?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The plantlet is called a keiki - my Mum has orchid with one at the moment but this was after flowering. Naturally they live in trees and this one way they propagate.

To encourage flowering believe they need cooler temperature and light.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The plantlet is called a keiki - my Mum has orchid with one at the moment but this was after flowering. Naturally they live in trees and this one way they propagate.

To encourage flowering believe they need cooler temperature and light.
    Thanks, most informative.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

We have three, one is a white orchid from a wedding over 10 years ago, to be fair I just water them when dry with some added orchid food and they just grow and flower pretty consistently.

They do get these little scaled parasites that suck the sap, when they are about the orchid does look different as in poorly/stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    We have three, one is a white orchid from a wedding over 10 years ago, to be fair I just water them when dry with some added orchid food and they just grow and flower pretty consistently.

They do get these little scaled parasites that suck the sap, when they are about the orchid does look different as in poorly/stressed.
    They wiped out all our orchids one year. Orchids seem to grow really easily in our house, maybe due to underfloor heating. Looked like fluff but it was these parasites. Someone told me a spray with soapy water gets rid of them but ours had gone too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try physically removing these pests - rub tissue damp with dilute washing-up-liquid along stem and over leaves to remove.