closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pilot's watch...around 38mm & sub 3000 Euros. Which is your favorite?

Master

Pilot's watch...around 38mm & sub 3000 Euros. Which is your favorite?

I was dead set on a Black Bay for my girlfriend. However, she threw me a curve ball, by showing me a photo of a Longines 3 hand watch on a bracelet.

I acted cool and not overly interested, as I want this to be a surprise for her, so I just said it looked nice and moved on.

Following some research, I think it was the Longines Spirit Titanium. She had studied for her PPL and can fly some small single engined planes. She loves planes perhaps more than any other man made machine.

For this reason, I am thinking that she might really like an aviation inspired watch.

Can you suggest some nice options for a small-medium size watch on a bracelet from a world renowned brand, that would fit my budget? Thank in advance.

I think you can pick up an IWC pilots watch in 36mm in good condition for that budget, if used is an option.

The Longines spirit is 40mm, but a great choice otherwise.

Lots of options in German watchmaking but way under budget, and perhaps not the same Cache.

Equally, the Hamilton khaki pilot: Swiss made but way under budget. might be a bit niche though (cushion case, vintage lume etc)

Does it have to be new?
    If you go vintage you could pick up an original RAF issued Omega FA 53 if lucky around that price.
    An original Hamilton 6B would be half the budget
    Failing that first thoughts would be a IWC MK series.

Master
    Thanks for replies. I like the look of the Hamilton, but I prefer a 'brand name' watch in this case. This will be a very special present for her.

It does not have to be new, but I do not want it to be vintage neither. It also has to be in Mint condition.

If you don't mind wearing 40mm, then Damasko take some beating, in every sense. And IMHO, a far more interesting brand than most, tech rather than jewellery. Definitely a WIS brand, should that be of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    If you don't mind wearing 40mm, then Damasko take some beating, in every sense. And IMHO, a far more interesting brand than most, tech rather than jewellery. Definitely a WIS brand, should that be of concern.

As above. The brand is also actually worn by real pilots! They look good years down the line because of Damasko's case hardening technology. Available on a bracelet, although I wear both of mine (bought from Eddie when he was their UK agent) on canvas these days. My DC56 is a 2009 watch.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Navitimer Automatic 38mm is £3770 on a bracelet, but let’s be honest no one pays anywhere near retail for a Breitling.

I was going to suggest an Omega Dynamic III, which has been my favourite aviation inspired watch over the years, but..

The correct answer is to take her out for lunch and go watch shopping together. She gets to pick a watch she actually likes, and the buying experience will make it far more memorable than being presented with some bloke on the internet’s choice. I say this from experience!

Craftsman
    Bremont divide opinion on the forum but something like their Solo 37 would seem to fit the bill pretty well. And depending on where you are in the country, a visit to their new HQ could be of interest. Weekend away in Henley-on-Thames? I went with a few others from here a couple of years ago (to their old factories) and it was a great day out, whatever your opinion of their products or branding etc.

https://www.bremont.com/collections/watches-solo-37

EDIT - sorry, just seen you're in Malta!!
    Last edited by boywithabubblegun; 25th September 2021 at 08:07.

Apprentice
    I’d second the IWC pilot 36mm from Idontgram.
    I’d also warn you about the fairly big lug to lug on the Longines 40mm. I’ve a 6.5 inch wrist and found the regular 40mm, that I believe is the same measurements, to be too big for my wrists.
    Stowa may not have the brand recognition that it sounds like you’re after, but they have some compelling options if you want a pilot style watch from a authentic brand.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I think you can pick up an IWC pilots watch in 36mm in good condition for that budget, if used is an option.
    I’m a big fan of the 36mm IWC, aesthetically at any rate, and have always been tempted by one. It masks the howler of the date window placement far better then its bigger stablemates. But it’s laughably overpriced for a watch with a bog standard Sellita movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I was going to suggest an Omega Dynamic III, which has been my favourite aviation inspired watch over the years, but..
    I second the Dynamic, probably because I have one and love it. But also some great receomendations on the thread.

The Damasko is lovely. I really like the the Bremont Solo 37. The 36mm IWC is very nice, but as said, expensive for what it is. I also like the Bell & Ross BR V1, especially the Bellytanker.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I second the Dynamic, probably because I have one and love it. But also some great receomendations on the thread.

The Damasko is lovely. I really like the the Bremont Solo 37. The 36mm IWC is very nice, but as said, expensive for what it is. I also like the Bell & Ross BR V1, especially the Bellytanker.
    I forgot initially, but I wrote a post comparing the dynamic to a 556 and damasko 10 years ago. Shame they are not £500 anymore: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Dynamic+sinn

Since then also tried an IWC mk15, a GO navigator and a number of speedbirds. The dynamic has outlasted them all.

Bremont is a good shout though. I prefer the airco mach3 which uses the smaller 37mm case.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I forgot initially, but I wrote a post comparing the dynamic to a 556 and damasko 10 years ago. Shame they are not £500 anymore: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...t=Dynamic+sinn

Since then also tried an IWC mk15, a GO navigator and a number of speedbirds. The dynamic has outlasted them all.

Bremont is a good shout though. I prefer the airco mach3 which uses the smaller 37mm case.
    Great post, I hadn't read that before. The Dynamic has gone up in price, but I picked mine up from this forum, for a price I was very happy with. I've also considered a Speedbird and an IWC Mark XII or XV but I think the Dynamic is better looking than the former and much better value that the latter two, IMHO.

Anyway don't want to highjack the OPs thread. The good thing is there is a lot of choice out there.

Master
    Sinn 556? Lots of dial options available.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Sinn 556? Lots of dial options available.

Indeed. See also Damasko DS30 (I know the brand was mentioned before but not specifically the DS30).

Pilot's watch...around 38mm & sub 3000 Euros. Which is your favorite?

Way below your upper budget, but there is of course Eddie’s PRS-48 Navigator.

Admittedly not on a bracelet or as you asked, from a “world renowned brand”, but worthy of consideration perhaps.
    Last edited by OldHooky; 26th September 2021 at 09:23.

Master
    Plenty of good ideas and watches to look at...

Must admit that I am impressed that I have never given the Omega Dynamic much attention. Looks like a real cracker of a watch.

I like Damasko's look, but to pay 500 Euros extra for the bracelet is too much for me.

There are some options from Sinn too which are compelling.

While I would consider MINT, used watches I am not looking at 10+ year old watches at this time.

With a Damasko, it can have been worn every day and yet barely show a mark. And don't forget that a bracelet in a cockpit isn't ideal, and it looks particularly good on a NATO, Tropic or canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    With a Damasko, it can have been worn every day and yet barely show a mark. And don't forget that a bracelet in a cockpit isn't ideal, and it looks particularly good on a NATO, Tropic or canvas.
    Indeed. My 2019 DS30 has been a daily pre and post lockdown and there is genuinely not a mark on it anywhere. It's not even their fancy steel either just the bog standard sub steel case. It's also one of my most accurate mechanicals too.

Craftsman
    Breitling Chronomat 36 or Navitimer 38? Could get them under £3k used or grey market I'd have thought.

Craftsman
    Yema Flygraf M1. Easy on the eye and very accurate +2 sec per day

Master
    Blog Entries
    How about a pre owned Omega reduced? Or vintage Breitling Top Time
    Last edited by Gav; 28th September 2021 at 19:05.

Maybe too large at 41mm but saw an Oris Pro Pilot today and was very impressed with it.

But as others have said Sinn 556 is a cracker. I have the gloss dial without numerals. Very versatile and works on pretty much any strap so easy to change the look to suit.

Sinn's 356 can be bought with a bracelet though it's a chrono rather than a 3-hander and Stowa's Flieger is available in both 36mm and 40mm case widths - strap only with those, though.