closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A day in Jersey - recommendations?

A day in Jersey - recommendations?

Hello all. Miss Plake and I are off to Jersey today for a wedding this weekend. Staying in St Aubin.

We will have a car and would like to explore the island this afternoon but have precisely zero joint knowledge of the place.

Do you have any personal recommendations of places to visit or things to do?

All suggestions welcome!

Craftsman
    I would just drive around the coast, stopping for photo ops. From St Aubin I would go into St Brelades Bay, only a few minutes drive, then on to Corbiere for a pic of the lighthouse. Down the 5 mile road at St Ouens for a spot of surfing then through L'Etacq and round to the rugged North coast. Carry on to the little bay at Rozel then round to Gorey with its impressive castle. Along the South coast to St Helier for a bit of shopping then back along our only duel carriageway to St Aubin. Inland you could visit what used to be called the German underground hospital but is now the Jersey War Tunnels. The zoo is also quite pleasant.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by coredriller View Post
    I would just drive around the coast, stopping for photo ops. From St Aubin I would go into St Brelades Bay, only a few minutes drive, then on to Corbiere for a pic of the lighthouse. Down the 5 mile road at St Ouens for a spot of surfing then through L'Etacq and round to the rugged North coast. Carry on to the little bay at Rozel then round to Gorey with its impressive castle. Along the South coast to St Helier for a bit of shopping then back along our only duel carriageway to St Aubin. Inland you could visit what used to be called the German underground hospital but is now the Jersey War Tunnels. The zoo is also quite pleasant.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Dennis
    Thanks Dennis, this sounds exactly like the sort of day we would enjoy! Appreciate it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Thanks Dennis, this sounds exactly like the sort of day we would enjoy! Appreciate it.
    You're welcome. Hope the weather stays dry for you.

Master
    There is a vineyard we visited and it did fantastic food

Hettich for watches !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Hettich for watches !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes in st Helier, i brought my BB S&G there £600-700 cheaper than over here a couple of years back,

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RogDen View Post
    Yes in st Helier, i brought my BB S&G there £600-700 cheaper than over here a couple of years back,

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    No VAT here but 5% GST which I believe can be claimed back by tourists.

Master
    St Matthew's Church with the Lalique glass is worth a look

Craftsman
    We went to Jersey about 15 years ago for FIL's 70th birthday, it was his first flight. I had to tell him off as he insisted on joking about the plane crashing and having a bomb in the security queue. He shut up when I told him his Irish accent would probably result in a night with Special Branch and not coming home with us.

Other than that I thought the zoo was great. Visit to gun emplacements built for Hitler's wall. Easy to drive around. All in all a very pleasant day. I remember asking the hire car lady whether we were expected to fill the tank before returning. She said not to bother. Jersey is small and I think we did 40 miles in the day.

One thing I didn't like was the so-called museum on a high street that used big mirrors to make it look bigger than it is. Not a lot in there, and a big room devoted to playing a BBC documentary about the occupation. Waste of money.

Craftsman
    There is a vintage fair at St Aubin today. Seb Manti often has some nice watches and will have a stand there. Worth a look in if you have time this morning before the wedding.

Thank you everyone. Dennis, had a lovely afternoon yesterday exploring along the route you advised. Just a beautiful island.

Popped into St Helier this morning and went to Hettich who had every Rolex sports model in the window incl blue gmt, new sub date/non date, exp ii etc. Unfortunately for “exhibition only”! But tried on the new sub date and gmt for size.
    Really lovely staff there, friendly and helpful. Wish all ad’s were like that!

Will try to hit the vintage fair before the wedding as it’s about 100m away from the church.

I live in Jersey too, wish I’d seen this sooner! Great ideas from Coredriller.

Glad you’re enjoying the visit, just post if there’s anything else.
    Last edited by Jambo; 25th September 2021 at 16:30.