closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Head Torch

Craftsman

Head Torch

Looking for a replacement for a current cheapie head torch. Had more or less settled on a Petzl Actik Core. However I've got a 50% code from Ledlenser. I know Ledlenser are well regarded for hand torches and wondered it is the same for head torches ?

Budget is £40

I believe there may be some torch enthusiasts who are part of the collective and thought I'd draw on their experience please

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    I bought one of these on recommendation of my lad, who knows tools;
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/ledlenser...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    If you can 50% off, why not go for a rechargeable one?
    https://www.toolstation.com/ledlense...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Have a look at the Alpkit sale.

I've had a Prism for a good few years and it's been faultless.

Master
    Led lenser are good - well built & reliable. I have the H14R but that one is unfortunately slightly above your budget.
    If you could stretch another tenner (£50) then a rechargeable H8R is do-able.

Petzl Bhindi getting good reviews and fits your price. Don’t know you’re wearing it either!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bought one of these in January, it's been great. Very bright, lasts a long time on a single charge, has a "gesture" mode by which you turn it off and on by waving your hand in front of it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08D6HK675/

£12.99 on Amazon at the moment.

I swear by Olight and use them semi-professionally. I don't use a head torch to be fair, but I do own a bunch of their other models and have always been impressed.

They have a few head torches coming on sale in 3 days around your budget. I'd probably go for the Perun Mini myself (there is a black option on the page).

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-pe...ld-yellow.html

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-ar...-headlamp.html

Petzl all the way.

I have a Ledlenser as well but I would choose Petzl over it as I have tested them in tough conditions.

I bought some Alpkit ones a few years ago after good reviews, they both broke quickly, and support was non existent, so it's Petzl for me now.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought some Alpkit ones a few years ago after good reviews, they both broke quickly, and support was non existent, so it's Petzl for me now.

Master
    I use a black diamond storm 400 at work every day in the winter, you can usually find deals on them to bring them down to your price range an d get batterie’s from 7 day shop.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Really depends on what you want it for.
    I use a led lenser for when I need distance and lots of light, but for general use I use a Petzel.
    Olights head torches are not just a head torch but also can be hand held so for some it’s great but not for me, however the new array 2 maybe heading my way before the end of the month.

I can never find the on/off switch on head torches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Led lenser are good - well built & reliable. I have the H14R but that one is unfortunately slightly above your budget.
    If you could stretch another tenner (£50) then a rechargeable H8R is do-able.
    Thanks for that if I add another tenner the H7 also falls within budget. Any recommendations between the two please

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I swear by Olight and use them semi-professionally. I don't use a head torch to be fair, but I do own a bunch of their other models and have always been impressed.

They have a few head torches coming on sale in 3 days around your budget. I'd probably go for the Perun Mini myself (there is a black option on the page).

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-pe...ld-yellow.html

https://www.olightstore.uk/olight-ar...-headlamp.html
    Had a look at the perun. The only thing putting me off is the relatively short run time. Nifty bit of kit though

Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    Had a look at the perun. The only thing putting me off is the relatively short run time. Nifty bit of kit though

If you have an idea what kind of lighting level you need (e.g. 200 lumen, 500 lumen, 1000 lumen) and for how long you need that light for, that'll probably give you a good nudge towards the relevant torch from each brand. My only word of caution with run-times is to be aware that companies measure them very differently.

If you go on the 'Specification' time on the Olight page you'll see the various modes and exactly how many minutes you'll get at each lumen level and what drops happen and when (which is a heat thing). It's very transparent and in my experience (and all the tests I've seen) they underestimate rather than overestimate run-times. It's one of the reasons I like them, you know what you're getting.

Conversely Led Lenser take a different approach. Their measurement scale can be found buried in the Ts&Cs. If they say a torch is 1000lm and runs for 20 hours for example, that doesn't mean you get 20 hours at 1,000 lumen. By their measuring standard it means you must; (A) get 1,000 lumen at the 60 second mark after the light's been switched on, and (B) still be getting a single lumen at the 20 hour mark. That doesn't mean they're bad lights or anything like that, it's just something to be aware of when looking at the spec from a comparison perspective. I started off with a Led Lenser (MT14) and it caught me off guard.

Anyway I'm going full torch geek mode, I guess the main takeaway here is to take claimed run-times with a pinch of salt and consider the battery capacity above all else. If two lights with similar capacity claim drastically different run times, odds are you're being shown two different measurement approaches rather than anything else.

^Wow, that seems like some are misdescribing the product.

I have made critical decisions based on how much light I have left.

Hmm...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If you have an idea what kind of lighting level you need (e.g. 200 lumen, 500 lumen, 1000 lumen) and for how long you need that light for, that'll probably give you a good nudge towards the relevant torch from each brand. My only word of caution with run-times is to be aware that companies measure them very differently.

If you go on the 'Specification' time on the Olight page you'll see the various modes and exactly how many minutes you'll get at each lumen level and what drops happen and when (which is a heat thing). It's very transparent and in my experience (and all the tests I've seen) they underestimate rather than overestimate run-times. It's one of the reasons I like them, you know what you're getting.

Conversely Led Lenser take a different approach. Their measurement scale can be found buried in the Ts&Cs. If they say a torch is 1000lm and runs for 20 hours for example, that doesn't mean you get 20 hours at 1,000 lumen. By their measuring standard it means you must; (A) get 1,000 lumen at the 60 second mark after the light's been switched on, and (B) still be getting a single lumen at the 20 hour mark. That doesn't mean they're bad lights or anything like that, it's just something to be aware of when looking at the spec from a comparison perspective. I started off with a Led Lenser (MT14) and it caught me off guard.

Anyway I'm going full torch geek mode, I guess the main takeaway here is to take claimed run-times with a pinch of salt and consider the battery capacity above all else. If two lights with similar capacity claim drastically different run times, odds are you're being shown two different measurement approaches rather than anything else.
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for that

Craftsman
    Well I've plumped for a Ledlenser MH8 so will see how that goes.

I've checked and can share so if anyone else is considering a Ledlenser light please feel free to use the code FIFTYOFF to get 50 % off when buying from Ledlenser direct.

I receive no commission or any other benefit if you use the code

I’ve got several Olights including the Perun mini, which is useful for clipping into clothing and using the 90deg head. That said, the Petzl Actik gets my vote, it’s superb. Very bright if you need it to be and the runtime has been impressive, in fact I don’t think I’ve run it down even after a full weekend of camping.

Apprentice
    Get one with a pocket clip. Use it in your hands or clip it on a cap for hands free.

Sometimes holding it low on the trail shows up the terrain better than on the cap when walking.

https://theskilledsurvivor.com/flashlights/
    Last edited by Zurvan7; 15th December 2021 at 18:30.

My Petzl has been through two unintended two and a half hour washing machine cycles and come out completely unscathed. It's a great bit of kit.