closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Article on watches and status… bring your own popcorn

Master

Article on watches and status… bring your own popcorn

There hasn’t been a decent meltdown lately, so allow me to present an article from Mr Porter on watches and social status.

It starts with some mild trolling, as we hear that wearing a watch ‘above your station’ is not the done thing in finance. Upstaging the vice president is apparently not a good career move for an analyst. Meanwhile, the co-founder of B&R (perhaps surprisingly) thinks that watches are all about status and impressing those around you, which must be galling. The piece does however land in a petty reasonable place. FWIW, for me the highest social status that can be signified by a watch is that of having good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    FWIW, for me the highest social status that can be signified by a watch is that of having good taste.
    It does not really show good taste though in many cases, many simply throw money at expensive watches knowing they are highly desirable and probably well thought out and designed without really knowing why exactly.

If a blind man walking into an Omega AD with £10,000 i can guarentee you he would walk out with a very nice watch. Zero good taste required.

Its very easy to have good taste when you can throw money at shops.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Its very easy to have good taste when you can throw money at shops.
    Arguably it gives you even greater opportunities to show that you don’t.

Master
    I buy the argument that some people have moved from demonstrating status (via a recognisably expensive watch) to showcasing knowledge (a watch known only to fellow cognoscenti).

But I’d also argue this showcasing existed before Covid. Isn’t it how those rare conversations start with fellow WIS?

I dont really want to click on to read the article as I dont want to give them the advertising revenue, that being said who are B&R trying to impress with their watches?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I dont really want to click on to read the article as I dont want to give them the advertising revenue, that being said who are B&R trying to impress with their watches?
    I quite like the current B&R range and used to have their Deminieur. But I see them as being more about design than status, so it did seem an odd line to take. A bit like someone saying, ‘You never really own a Tudor…’

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I quite like the current B&R range and used to have their Deminieur. But I see them as being more about design than status, so it did seem an odd line to take. A bit like someone saying, ‘You never really own a Tudor…’
    Such statements and articles are more a reflection of the thinking of their authors than the people they claim to be talking about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Such statements and articles are more a reflection of the thinking of their authors than the people they claim to be talking about.
    I’m not intending to be mean about either brand, as I like some of their watches, I just don’t see their brands as being ‘all about status’, which doesn’t strike me as a particularly desirable quality anyway.

Master
    I had a Planet Ocean a couple of years ago and I'm now wearing a Chinese Seestern Doxa homage.

I'm clearly a lower class scumbag now, when in 2019 I could lord it over people less important than me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This is so accurate

Craftsman
    I think a large percentage of the community couldn’t give a monkeys if people notice their watch… and to be fair I don’t think on the whole the general public care about watches either.

I think that most people think expensive watches are a complete waste of money, a common being "you could buy a nice car for that"

Craftsman
    Even a complete rejection of material goods and consumer culture, let alone the simple avoidance of projecting status and wealth, doesn’t necessarily imply the inability to appreciate and find joy from great craftsmanship and design.

If a Rolex day-date is good enough for the Dalai Lama (a self professed Marxist) then it is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I think that most people think expensive watches are a complete waste of money, a common being "you could buy a nice car for that"
    I remember people saying the same about some motorbikes I've owned.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Even a complete rejection of material goods and consumer culture, let alone the simple avoidance of projecting status and wealth, doesn’t necessarily imply the inability to appreciate and find joy from great craftsmanship and design.

If a Rolex day-date is good enough for the Dalai Lama (a self professed Marxist) then it is good enough for me.
    Except - given the recent stratospheric price rises - he probably paid less for his day date than you’d pay for an air king now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk