closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tablet for Whatsapp and Deliveroo etc

Master
    Blog Entries

Tablet for Whatsapp and Deliveroo etc

Hi all,

I need to get my mum some kind of tablet / laptop that can run Whatsapp and apps like deliveroo. She won't be streaming 4K video or playing Medal of Honour or anything too taxing.

She doesn't have (or want) a smart phone so for WhatsApp, does that mean the tablet will need it's own SIM?

A keyboard would be a welcome addition too.

I'm not sure Apple will be suited to her but am clueless about Android stuff.

Any suggestions please?

TIA

Dave

I believe WhatsApp needs a sim card though it can be connected via WiFi to a smart phone insomuch as you can link a pc to a WhatsApp phone and write and send messages from the pc.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I believe you need a phone number to sign up to WhatsApp but I've used it on my pc just connected to the internet.

One of the Samsung tablets should be more than enough. Something like a tab a

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks.
    I’ll have a look at Samsung.

You don't need a SIM for WhatsApp but do need a number.

My Nan's iPhone works fine indoors in the same way you'd want. The phone number is dead and doesn't work for "real" phone calls (she didn't top it up or make outgoing calls to keep it alive) but works fine for facetime/WhatsApp calls etc. Would be useless for banking though. Worst case just get an additional line for the cheapest £ per month.

Apple is the default for anything where older people are concerned. I'd go for an iPad air if her eyes are ok. I have to get my mum the biggest size iPad pro every couple of years which stings but it's what she's used to with old eyes and more than 5 words per line.

Did something similar for my 84yr old Mum recently. Gave her an old iPad and iPhone. Tesco mobile data sim with 10gb of data allowance a month. Think it was £10 a month. Use iPhone as a internet hot spot, so no broadband needed. A few training sessions later and she can hop on and off the iPad and do basic things like surfing and online shopping.

Apple definitely the way to go for ease of use but obviously android kit is cheaper unless you have some spare tech lying around.

Craftsman
    I just bought a Lenovo Duet 10" 2-in-1 (tablet + removable keyboard) Chromebook. It's literally just been dropped to £219 this week and if you get it from John Lewis it has their 2yr warranty. It's gets updates for next 8yrs apparently. Lots of great reviews. I'm loving it so far.

Agree with the comment about an iPad versus other platforms. Bought my mum an android one and she couldn’t get in with it. Cheapest iPad and she is happy, as it’s so easy to use. Perhaps look for a used one?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Agree with the comment about an iPad versus other platforms. Bought my mum an android one and she couldn’t get in with it. Cheapest iPad and she is happy, as it’s so easy to use. Perhaps look for a used one?
    Thanks.
    It wasn't the cost, more that I thought they suited a 'younger' brain! No idea why though, I can use one and I'm lost with Android!