closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iOS 15 Released Today 21.9.21 (UK)

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

iOS 15 Released Today 21.9.21 (UK)

iOS 15 introduces new ways to stay connected, powerful updates that help users focus and explore, and intelligent features to get more done with iPhone. FaceTime updates provide more natural video calls, Focus helps users reduce distraction, new features like Live Text use on-device intelligence to surface useful information, upgrades to Maps provide brand new ways to navigate the world, and much more. iOS 15 is available today as a free software update.

https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/20...ailable-today/

B

Craftsman
    Thanks for posting this. Upgrading now.

Blog Entries
    Trying - but one downside in PT is I’m not near fiber, so only 4G LTE Wi-Fi available. Not a great speed of 4Mbps download. Bit different from my 100Mbps at home. Will only download over Wi-Fi but my iPhone mobile data speed is so much faster grrrh.

I plan to invest in better 4G router later
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

It’s around 3.2 Gig.

Downloaded and installed on an iPhone 11 and iPad 6.

All seems fine thus far.

B

Craftsman
    my iphone 11 is saying it's up to date on iOS 14.7. Odd

Journeyman
    Both my Iphone 12 and Ipad Mini 4 upgraded with no issues.. now to see what the differences are

My iphone X (Ten) upgraded to 14.8 first and then offered 15 which uploaded fine.

This appeared on my devices yesterday around 1730.
    Worked a treat on iPhone and iPad

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    my iphone 11 is saying it's up to date on iOS 14.7. Odd
    Double check what it says at the bottom, as mine said it was up to date but the offer of IOS 15.0 was below.

Probably something to do with pushing updates that are say 14.5, 14.6 etc but giving the option whether to run with the more major updates of 13.0, 14.0 etc

Master
    tvOS also has an update to V15

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Double check what it says at the bottom, as mine said it was up to date but the offer of IOS 15.0 was below.

Probably something to do with pushing updates that are say 14.5, 14.6 etc but giving the option whether to run with the more major updates of 13.0, 14.0 etc

No it's not there. What's even stranger is I'm on the Beta list so I normally get the updates in advance!

First impressions of the update.

I like the text reading feature on photos, already used that to conveniently scrap a website address off a storefront that I'd taken a photo of. Nothing major, but useful.

The 'focus' feature has potential, but I think the implementation is a bit of a screw up to be honest. I'd like to use it just to basically say which apps can notify me and when (mainly so I can not be notified by work apps when on personal mode). However it forces you to first select which people you want notifications from and doesn't give you the option to leave that unrestricted. That's a shame and makes it unworkable for me in the current format.

Not seen much else changed of note, other than notifications look a bit different.

I’m still getting used to the tab location in Safari on the phone. I think I like it due to not having to reach to the top of the screen to access it. It just breaks years of muscle memory.

I like swiping between tabs in Safari and the extensions. The 1Password extension is really good.

Craftsman
    By coincidence I got a new IPad mini 5 today, and saw the option to upgrade to 15, but I think I am going to leave it for a week or two before I do that. I don’t use 90% of the stuff on it as it is, and I don’t understand what benefits 15 will give me.

But does this mean there will be no more patches for IOS 14? I am on 14.8 now. So if you want to get the latest security fixes you will have to go to 15 anyway?

There is more in iPadOS 15 than in iOS 15. I really like the widgets on the Home Screen and the multitasking enhancements that give a button to press on each app window.

No it's not there. What's even stranger is I'm on the Beta list so I normally get the updates in advance!
    If you have an iOS14 beta profile installed, remove it and reboot, then check again.

Tbh apart from the odd app which has had a re-jig like maps and weather I can’t really see much of a difference. I’m sure there are changes if you dig around but I’m not sure I can be bothered! Might watch a few YouTube videos to see what’s happened that I haven’t noticed. First time I’ve not found a few ‘wow’ features straight away though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my iPhone 12 Pro I can see minor changes that I'm comfortable with. However, iPadOS15's changes to the home screen are an abomination and have stopped me ordering a new iPad Mini. I'm sure I'd get used to them but Apple needs to listen and offer options for users. I have no interest in arcade, games, widgets etc. and would really like a fundamental option choice: Full Experience | Business User or something similar where you can choose an overall experience but then drill down to set up the iPhone/iPad as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    For my iPhone 12 Pro I can see minor changes that I'm comfortable with. However, iPadOS15's changes to the home screen are an abomination and have stopped me ordering a new iPad Mini. I'm sure I'd get used to them but Apple needs to listen and offer options for users. I have no interest in arcade, games, widgets etc. and would really like a fundamental option choice: Full Experience | Business User or something similar where you can choose an overall experience but then drill down to set up the iPhone/iPad as you wish.
    The changes to the Home Screen are optional. You can remove the example widgets that are activated after the upgrade. Just long press on the widget and select the Remove option.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I’m still getting used to the tab location in Safari on the phone. I think I like it due to not having to reach to the top of the screen to access it. It just breaks years of muscle memory.

I like swiping between tabs in Safari and the extensions. The 1Password extension is really good.
    I read 9to5Mac almost daily and I’d been seeing throughout the Beta phases there had been some consternation about the Safari redesign in iOS 15. They posted this article a few days ago, in case you feel you’d rather revert to the older Safari

https://9to5mac.com/2021/09/20/dont-...ss-bar-on-top/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iOS 15 Released Today 21.9.21 (UK)

On iOS 15 I am getting this iPhone Storage Almost Full notification. Tapping on it does nothing, and there is no way to clear it. From various forums it sounds like this is a bug. Is anyone here seeing this in Settings?

Sorry, I did not read the thread title carefully. I am in the US.
    Last edited by williemays; 22nd September 2021 at 01:50.

Master
    The beta of 15 has been around for a couple of months, have a look at the beta profile as I had to download the new profile a few months ago

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Installed yesterday and no issues so far.

I found this You Tube walkthrough useful of settings you should turn off, or go back and check that they are still off after installing IOS15. This is mainly for battery preservation and reduced mobile data usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxdoC2sG1i4

There's also one for setting to be turned (back) on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8DpQIA35I

None, some, or all may be of use to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Installed yesterday and no issues so far.

I found this You Tube walkthrough useful of settings you should turn off, or go back and check that they are still off after installing IOS15. This is mainly for battery preservation and reduced mobile data usage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxdoC2sG1i4

There's also one for setting to be turned (back) on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ8DpQIA35I

None, some, or all may be of use to you.
    Very useful, will try to work through this at some point!

The changes to the Home Screen are optional. You can remove the example widgets that are activated after the upgrade. Just long press on the widget and select the Remove option.
    The Home Screen on iPad is a dumpster fire.

Apple shoe-horning the Apple TV+ widget on to it is that bloody U2 album all over again.

Master
    Most useful feature for me so far is the better handling of Zoom video when multitasking with another app side-by-side. Your camera no longer keeps going on/off.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    The Home Screen on iPad is a dumpster fire.

Apple shoe-horning the Apple TV+ widget on to it is that bloody U2 album all over again.
    If you remove the widgets, isn't it basically the same as most prior iOS / iPad OS versions? Just a bunch of icons, with a separate pane you can slide into optionally for widgets, or ignore?

No they aren't! I have removed the widgets but the display of the icons is still appalling:

Master
    Blog Entries

Web pages slow to load after update

As title, anyone else finding this??

Jim

Master
    No they aren't! I have removed the widgets but the display of the icons is still appalling:

No you haven't. The battery widget is still there. I moved them to the old area and everything looks the same now bar things it auto moved need to be put back
    Last edited by reecie; 22nd September 2021 at 20:13.

I like the additional info in photos ~ a good improvement imo.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    No you haven't. The battery widget is still there. I moved them to the old area and everything looks the same now bar things it auto moved need to be put back
    This is a picture pulled off the internet to show the difference in display on the homepage. Trust me, I have removed all the widgets on my iPad. It's being complained about widely hence the photograph being posted.

Blog Entries
    Got my iPhone 12 Max updated - managed to drag and drop a photo from 'photos' straight into an email - by keeping the photo detached using one finger. Apparently you can now 'drag-and-drop' from any app.

Also the date / time picker is back to a scroll wheel - haaza
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Also the date / time picker is back to a scroll wheel - haaza
    I'll install it just for that.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'll install it just for that.
    Thank crikey for that. So much easier

Master
    This is a picture pulled off the internet to show the difference in display on the homepage. Trust me, I have removed all the widgets on my iPad. It's being complained about widely hence the photograph being posted.
    Just updated my iPad, removed widgets & hate the blank space at the bottom of the screen now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always wait a week or two before installing a new IOS to see what the usual and inevitable bugs are. I find the Forbes website to be reliable for information on these issues. I see that 15.1 beta is already out.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    On my Ipad Pro (2017) I've found it lagging a bit at times when for example I am using the reddit app and try and go back a screen. The other thing I now notice is the app display in portrait in 5 column rather than 6. But I never use it that way anyway. I only updated because the Safari changes should make the ad blockers work better for Youtube- once they catch up

Does anyone have a quick way to dismiss bookmarks in iPadOS? The little split rectangle gives you the bookmarks option but now takes two additional presses to remove the bookmark list (individual bookmarks folders —> bookmarks and favourites —>”safari”)?

In iOS 14 you simply pressed the bookmark symbol to call them up or dismiss them.

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone have a quick way to dismiss bookmarks in iPadOS? The little split rectangle gives you the bookmarks option but now takes two additional presses to remove the bookmark list (individual bookmarks folders —> bookmarks and favourites —>”safari”)?

In iOS 14 you simply pressed the bookmark symbol to call them up or dismiss them.

This bookmark issue is what I’d like to know about too.
    it was easier to get rid of in the previous version and I wondered if I’d missed something.

If you long press and hold on the bookmark folder name, a drop down of all the folders in the path appears. Select Safari to go to the top level.

Using the camera to copy text is very useful for rmsd tracking numbers

I find that zooming in and out on the screen on websites now only works intermittently and it's absolutely infuriating :(

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Using the camera to copy text is very useful for rmsd tracking numbers
    Been around for years on iPhone via Google photos and Google Lens

Maybe a placebo effect or wishful but the battery on my 8 plus seems to be lasting longer, was crap for a day or 2 but it now seems to be lasting longer?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ever since uploading my wifi connex is terrible. Sites won’t open and stalling all the time.

Anyone else ‘suffering’ post iOS 15 blues.

Jim

12 mini battery life seems a good chunk worse. Hoping it’s just a rogue app that needs updating

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    12 mini battery life seems a good chunk worse. Hoping it’s just a rogue app that needs updating
    I’m finding that also.

15.0.1 is now available

This update includes bug fixes for your iPhone.
    Unlock iPhone with Apple Watch may not work on iPhone 13 models
    Settings app may incorrectly display an alert that storage is full
    Audio meditations could unexpectedly start a workout on Apple Watch for some Fitness+ subscribers
    For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
    https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

B

Has the battery optimisation and battery health disappeared on ios15?

Can’t seem to find it now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk