closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Playing instruments...

Blog Entries

Playing instruments...

So just seeing if there is any correlation between watches and playing musical instruments..

At long last I got my clarinets serviced with new pads on the Bb and not too many needed on the A. I plan to get my embouchure back in shape. It will take a while as I can only play for 10minutes before my lips give out. Technique is ok - but I just don't have the stamina that I used to have (stop that in the back row please).

I just wonder how many others play "proper" instruments, or even in-proper ones?

Cheers all.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th September 2021 at 21:03.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    I’ve been playing drums for 22 years this year, picked up the bass guitar during lockdown for something a little quieter to play too. That, on top of the watches of course.

When we moved into our current house and I found a set of golf clubs in the garage, SWMBO said “You’d better flog those, you’ve got enough expensive hobbies”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guitar for me - so an in-proper instrument I guess. Almost as addictive as watches, but not as easy to hide!!
    I did have piano lessons as a lad, but didn’t progress too much.

Master
    Been playing the piano for over 40 years and still do. Occasionally now the [acoustic] guitar. Also used to play the violin and clarinet, but haven't picked either up in many years.

Master
    I'm a guitar player. and I do accumulate them.

Can’t play a note Martyn but I am involved in the manufacture of the keys for a high end Buffet Crampon clarinet, visited their facility in Germany and the level of workmanship is incredible. A nice instrument is a beautiful thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

My little Taylor GS Mini eKoa does for me now, having given my son the Fenix Tele and Kustom amp I was no longer using.

I've changed a few things on the Taylor, plastic truss rod cover and bridge pins replaced with ebony with shell inlays, and the steel strap button replaced with one I made from a violin peg (cut to length, drilled and a cut down screw epoxied in) . Next a set of black Gotoh 510 mini tuners and that'll be it done.

F.T.F.A.

I occasionally play the piano.

Master
    Guitar for me. Though my son has given me a drum lesson or two recently.

I might not be able to play well but I have shown a talent for buying them!

Guitars since 1994, the odd bit of bass, tried drumming but was too much like hard work.
    Still have a band although Covid put pay to any sort of public appearances. Think I've done 3 gigs in the last 18 - 20 months.

I bought and sold a lot of kit, mostly as a means to buy the kit I wanted. Must've had 4 Les Paul Standards, 1 Custom, 1 P100 Special, 5 SG Standards, 1 SG Special, 1 ES-335, 3 USA Precision Basses, 2 Japanese, 1 Mexican Jazz Bass, 1 parts built Jazz Bass, 1 MM Stingray 3EQ, 1 PRS Standard 22, 1 USA Tele, 4 or 5 USA Strats, 1 Gordon-Smith GS-1 - I can't really remember, but all very nice instruments. Wish I'd kept one of the Les Pauls but was skint after being made redundant.

Currently have a CS Closet Classic 72 RI Tele, an American Original 72 RI Tele, a USA Standard Strat, Martin HD-28V, Eggle New Wave and an Epiphone 335 Dot which sounds just like my almost 10x as expensive ES-335.

Master
    As some of you will know from my long running thread, I play the piano and church organ. Here is a piece from my YouTube channel such is quite apt for this time of year!

Saxophonist from the age of 10. Alto was my main one but had tenor and baritone too. Played in local concert band, dance band (Glenn Miller etc) then a couple of pop groups getting on John Peel and another Radio One show. Got asked to play with some Christian performer once and ended playing in front of about 5,000 in marquee.

Should have tried harder to turn pro but my dad forced me into getting a proper job.

Good times.

Hope you don’t mind me sharing an anecdote. Despite being saxophonist I loved keyboards, I was only average though, and was lucky enough to buy a Roland Jupiter 8. The seller lived in Bristol and I was in Liverpool at the time. “No problem, I’ll drive up” he said. I met him in car park and he rolled up in a 911 and we drove back to my house.
    He asked about me and my music and when I asked him what he did he told me he played keyboards for Robert Plant! When we got to my house he set it up and went through the keyboard and played some stuff which blew my mind. He turned to me and said “here, have a go” and I said “it’s OK, I’ll get into it later, far too embarrassed to even attempt anything.

Blog Entries
    Just bought a deepmind 6, having a mid life crisis at 58!
    Looking to set up a small studio, her indoors ain't happy!
    Had quite a few in the 80s, Oscar, mini Moog, pro 1, among others.

Took up saxophone about 2 months ago. Enjoy tootling about and can get some recognisable tunes out. Should have done it 50 years ago.

Guitar player.

Musical instruments are far better value than watches on the enjoyment quotient too.

My eldest Grandson is a player too - and far better than me at his age! I enjoy our jam sessions.

Here are some of mine.

Fenders...

Gibsons...

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    As some of you will know from my long running thread, I play the piano and church organ. Here is a piece from my YouTube channel such is quite apt for this time of year!
    Was hoping you'd post.

Beautiful piece.

That perennial jazz favourite - and beautifully played.

You are very talented.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Guitars for me.

Drums for me. Just started couple years ago. Never too old & all that......

Master
    Drums for 40 plus years. Love them but at one point I was playing 6 times a week and it got wearing. Carting the kit around, getting home late takes its toll. Out this Saturday, looking fwd to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I might not be able to play well but I have shown a talent for buying them!
    I'm stealing that!

I'm down to a red Stratocaster and a Yamaha 5 string bass, but have had many others since the 1980s. Never learned to play properly though, just liked the hardware.

I used redundancy money in 2008 to buy an alto saxophone and lessons. It was a great experience to start from the beginning and be guided through a structured learning process. However, life got in the way and sadly it doesn't get played very much now.

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Guitars for me.

Nice collection Pete.

I am mainly a Strat man too.

Which models do you have there?

I'm guessing some Classic series with all those six point trems?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I played cornet in a brass band from the sge of 7 and progressed to second solo cornet until Bell's Palsy put paid to that.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I'm stealing that!
    You're very welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice collection Pete.

I do like the bound Tele and the blue Strat in those pictures.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Nice collection Pete.

Thanks Neil, its become a somewhat addictive pass time.

Theres a 60s Olympic white custom shop, a 62 Olympic white American vintage (AVRI), 62 sunburst (AVRI) and a 60s FSR in Cerulean blue which I'm guessing is the same as yours? The Tele is a Japanese 62TL and of course the Gibson LP standard gold top. 🎸

Blog Entries

Very cool indeed. Thank you for sharing
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Petewon View Post
    Thanks Neil, its become a somewhat addictive pass time.

Theres a 60s Olympic white custom shop, a 62 Olympic white American vintage (AVRI), 62 sunburst (AVRI) and a 60s FSR in Cerulean blue which I'm guessing is the same as yours? The Tele is a Japanese 62TL and of course the Gibson LP standard gold top. 
    It is indeed.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    I’ve been playing drums for 22 years this year, picked up the bass guitar during lockdown for something a little quieter to play too. That, on top of the watches of course.

When we moved into our current house and I found a set of golf clubs in the garage, SWMBO said “You’d better flog those, you’ve got enough expensive hobbies”.

Also been drummer for... 10? 12? Years?

Not playing at the moment. Sold both sets years ago.

Another guitarist here. Been playing since I was a pup in the late eighties and like some on here, I appear to have acquired several guitars during lockdown. Just as things were closing down, I'd decided to get some refurb work done on my very well used Ibanez Jem (an 89 model) so I needed another guitar as a stopgap. So now I seem to have an 8 string fan-fret, a Brian May replica, a Tele and a few others! All budget models and they all get lots of use. Bizarrely, after never being a Tele fan I'm finding that my £62 Harley Benton b-stock gets used more than any of the others!

Other than guitar, got a Uke just for noodling around and I tinker on the piano occasionally. Both my kids are fantastic on the piano.

Guitars here. Never properly learned how to play tho :)

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    Guitars here. Never properly learned how to play tho :)

Love that orange strat!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nr73 View Post
    Love that orange strat!!
    Agreed. I seem to have developed a bit of a fancy for an orange guitar lately! Not sure where that’s come from.

Master
    Some lovely guitars!

Hope they get played more than mine! I hardly even pick one up and have a strum these days.

I had some lessons for the first time as an adult a few years ago. I was quite depressed to have my fears confirmed. I have no musical aptitude. I “play” in the same way that an artist paints by numbers.

Played bass and acoustic guitar for around 20 yrs, picked up electric around 10 yrs ago but on a whim bought a cheap Chinese Alto sax around 5 yrs ago, now have a tenor too and it is now my #1 goto instrument, so wonderful - wish I have do it years ago.