closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vinyl wrap on cars - any experience?

Vinyl wrap on cars - any experience?

Afternoon all, I am thinking about this for my vehicle, a BMW 5 series touring
    Has anybody had any experience?
    What are the sort of price ranges?
    How do you need to care for it, if at all? Any idea how long it lasts, and any down-sides to having it?

There seems to be a mixed bag of info online and I cannot find any proper recommendations for companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Master
    Cannot thinkif a worse thing to do to a decent car, looks absolutely horrible. Don’t waste your money!

^ I think that’s a unfair generalisation, some look great, but I think the difference between a cheap job and a good one is huge.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think the first question to ask is why do you want to vinyl wrap.
    But irrespective of that question - check the detailer's feedback for quality - wraps will lift in obvious places so your detailer will probably request an annual inspection

I have not had any first hand experience but it is popular with a fair few Porsche owners; many of which wanting to make their cars the latest colour - crayon grey. As always a lot of the results depends on prep and getting a good job done. An advantage is that it can help protect the original paint underneath as per PPF. Cost wise its like watches, you can pay a little or a lot, I would suggest two/three grand minimum for what is quite a large car. Of course we will need before and after pics and please don’t wrap it chrome green like Yiannis Lamborghini

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Cannot thinkif a worse thing to do to a decent car, looks absolutely horrible. Don’t waste your money!
    Ha ha - yeh, I have seen a lot of wraps that look quite awful, but I am a man of taste and style so mine would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    An advantage is that it can help protect the original paint underneath as per PPF.
    I always wonder how it can adhere so well but not pull the paint off when removed!!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I always wonder how it can adhere so well but not pull the paint off when removed!!
    it can do if the car was previously repaired/painted and the person removing the wrap is an idiot.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

It is removed with a heat gun by a competent person or buggered by someone who hasn't got a clue.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I was talking to my body working guy about getting my bonnet, bumper and headlight surrounds wrapped in the clear wrap. His view was that

a) unless the paint is already flawless it would look crap.
    b) it would cost the best part of a grand to get it wrapped and last about 5-7 years.

or it would cost the same amount to get it professional painted.

I opted for the latter.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I suppose another way to look at it is if you get say a smallish scuff / scratch on paint it can be localised. But on a wrap you'd need the whole panel re-wrapped.

Will let you know, pretty sure gonna go to Wrap City with mine

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    ^ I think that’s a unfair generalisation, some look great, but I think the difference between a cheap job and a good one is huge.
    No, not an unfair generalisation, what’s the bloody point? Wrapping cars in vinyl belongs in the ‘ which wanker thought that was a good idea’ category.

Change the car for a colour you like, or have it professionally repainted, but covering it in vinyl wrap is crazy.

Master
    No, not an unfair generalisation, what’s the bloody point? Wrapping cars in vinyl belongs in the ‘ which wanker thought that was a good idea’ category.

Change the car for a colour you like, or have it professionally repainted, but covering it in vinyl wrap is crazy.
    In your opinion.

Well, the point is it's a lot cheaper than a respray

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Well, the point is it's a lot cheaper than a respray

For a good reason, it’s a cheapscate tacky product. Sell the car and buy a colour you like!

Wrapping serves a certain purpose that sometimes paintwork can’t do for the same money, saying that I’d never have it done to anything I own.

Lol , easier to have a bespoke wrap

Anyway no convincing you is there, me, love the idea of picking my own colour ( considering the car I like is only about 5 colours a wrap makes perfect sense

1800 quid v 4k respray is a no brainer

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    I suppose another way to look at it is if you get say a smallish scuff / scratch on paint it can be localised. But on a wrap you'd need the whole panel re-wrapped.

Would panel even match rest of car?

Grand Master
    [QUOTE=Daveya.;5838320

1800 quid v 4k respray is a no brainer

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

But you’ll still look like a dick who’s had his car wallpapered.

Blog Entries
    Paint is the way to go, for that classy look.

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This isn't the Bear Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    This isn't the Bear Pit.
    Indeed it isn't , he doesn't like wraps, we get it lol

Buy another car in a colour you like is the worst anti wrap rant I've ever heard lol

Brand new Porsche 992 wrapped by a friend of a friend:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWZb0UpT_F/

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoKPC-p..._web_copy_link

Wouldn't have been my first choice of colour, but it does look a stunning job.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 22nd September 2021 at 08:02.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I have seen some really nice wrap jobs. The paintwork does need to be flawless as even a stone chip looks awful under wrap.

Aside from cost the other advantage is you can return to standard or change again relatively easily. Don’t get the negative comments above, it all depends who does it, and how tasteful the colour choice is!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I have seen some really nice wrap jobs. The paintwork does need to be flawless as even a stone chip looks awful under wrap.

Aside from cost the other advantage is you can return to standard or change again relatively easily. Don’t get the negative comments above, it all depends who does it, and how tasteful the colour choice is!

I agree, I expect there are loads of wrapped cars out there that you can't tell they have a wrap, you only notice the bad ones.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Blog Entries
    The lacquer on my van roof is peeling off so was thinking of this as a cheaper way of protection.

Blog Entries
    There are some 'interesting' options...
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

you are talking rubbish, if its done well you wouldn't be able to tell, especially the mat finishes.

Maybe you had a few to many sherbet's last night

I keep thinking about getting the colour changed on one of my cars, a particular shade of candy green, to paint is £8.5k a good wrap is £2k, that's quiet a difference and gives the option to change it again in the future if I wish and if I sell the car in the future it will still be the original colour.

Can you just wash a wrapped car as normal?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Grand Master
    Why would anyone want a matt finished car? I’ve seen a couple and they look ridiculous, reminds me of paint that’s been flatted down prior to repainting, I remember painting cars in the distant past and flatting the paint between coats........happy days!

To me its simple, you buy a car in a colour you like, if the paint gets damaged you have it put right, if it gets old and the paint’s in poor condition you sell it or get it repainted. If you start to think a matt car would look good you need therapy, I can’t imagine a scenario where sticking vinyl on the car is a good idea.

Think I might have a go at wrapping a watch tonight, makes as much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

I keep thinking about getting the colour changed on one of my cars, a particular shade of candy green, to paint is £8.5k a good wrap is £2k, that's quiet a difference and gives the option to change it again in the future if I wish and if I sell the car in the future it will still be the original colour.
    Yes, I want a matte or satin finish and to suggest I sell my car and buy one with a better finish when they don't even do it suggests a few ales were downed

I'm looking at a black natt with go faster stripes and a flame decal coming off my red calipers

I absolutely will look a dick and id be disappointed if I didn't

Last edited by Daveya.; 22nd September 2021 at 10:17.

GO FOR IT Dave. Paul's talking thru his A Hole (again)😂

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

I absolutely will look a dick and id be disappointed if I didn't

I like the cut of your jib Sir! :)

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Why would anyone want a matt finished car? I’ve seen a couple and they look ridiculous, reminds me of paint that’s been flatted down prior to repainting, I remember painting cars in the distant past and flatting the paint between coats........happy days!

To me its simple, you buy a car in a colour you like, if the paint gets damaged you have it put right, if it gets old and the paint’s in poor condition you sell it or get it repainted. If you start to think a matt car would look good you need therapy, I can’t imagine a scenario where sticking vinyl on the car is a good idea.

I take it that you have no interest in cars and just chose to post on this threat to be antagonistic.

Paul, wrap your fingers together.

Most terrible wraps I've seen are on stuff like early 2000 Clios or massive range rovers and Bentley's in matte black which look like a black board from primary school.

Good ones on good cars look great but I'd not have one personally. Not in that league.

An £8.5k respray on anything 'decent' like a Porsche would knock thousands more off the re-sale value as well, especially if it was a non-standard colour.

I'm starting a 'look like a dick' scale as I think Paul's onto something, I will post my colour choices and the scale will be 1-20, 20 being utter nob, unless I get average score over 17 I won't do it

Tbh I love this one

Will add dick decals after , that's 1800 quid for my car

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Paul, wrap your fingers together.

Hmm... not sure about that. It could be worse, but I think I'll be keeping mine as it is in metallic onyx black.
    So clever my foot fell off.

If people want to wrap new cars right away should be an option to buy an unpainted car...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If people want to wrap new cars right away should be an option to buy an unpainted car...
    Not a bad shout. Many manufacturers already offer half wrap options with different colour roofs to the main body (this sometimes being a wrap rather than paint). The options they could offer for a full wrap is virtually endless.

Can the vinyl protect against stones chips?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Not sure about the vinyl used as a whole body finish, but you often see small clear vinyl panels at the bottom of rear wheel arches where they start to flare out for example. These are to protect a vulnerable area from stone chips and general erosion, so maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

If its just for Stone chips use self healing PPF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint_protection_film

https://www.detailingwiki.org/protec...otection-film/
    Last edited by adrianw; 22nd September 2021 at 13:06.

Cheers.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

A friend of mine is a car nut and has had a couple of his cars wrapped.

He thought they looked great.

I didn't, but they were his cars.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Grand Master
    I take it that you have no interest in cars and just chose to post on this threat to be antagonistic.
    I do have an interest in cars, I own a Jag XF 3.0 and a 1970 MGB with uprated engine that I built myself, I’ve rebuilt other classics in the past including all body work ( cutting, welding, painting), interior retrim, engine and suspension rebuild, I’m one of that diminishing breed who learned to do these things as a hobby and despite being self- taught I can still work to a high standard. I don’t think you can put me in the ‘no interest in cars’ pigeonhole but I do find older cars and classics more aesthetically appealing than modern stuff.

I thought the vinyl wrap thing had been and gone, I’m surprised it hasn’t. Maybe I’m missing something but how can a car covered in matt black vinyl look remotely appealing? When I was 18 I helped a mate get a scruffy mk 1 Escort into running condition, he hand- painted it in black brushing enamel and despite our efforts to polish it the car always looked dull.......just like these vinyl wrapped things.

The skill required to apply the vinyl wraps is admirable but the end result looks daft to me.