closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mystery box...

Craftsman

Mystery box...

Yes, another "what's this thing I found" question, and this time it's posed by a colleagues' partner who loves collecting weird objects. He's stumped as to what its purpose is, and i'd be interested to hear if it's a known device or some home-made project.

It's a metal / lockable box with a removable metal floor. Under that plate is a collection of linkages and most intriguingly electrical coils with a clapper (rather like that of an old style telephone). I reckon it's probably a home-made/alarmed valuables box (don't think it'll catch on for watch storage), but the more I look at it, the less sure I am.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Looks like an old bookmakers money box. Not sure re mechanics but maybe something to do with tamper proofing it?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My guess, based upon electric clocks, is that the weight would act as a motion sensor - swinging until it makes a circuit. The electromagnets would then kick in, repulsing the weight and causing it to smack into the thing missing that would have been bolted to the bolt - presumably a bell - making a hell of a racket, the weight would then bounce back, making the circuit again and so on. That would make it an incredibly low tech, but highly effective, alarm.

It's a version of Jigsaw's head trap or the one from The Evil Within.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Yep, I think you nailed it - looks like there's a few parts missing from my friends, but that's definitely the same type of mechanism. Many thanks, mystery solved!