closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AD visit yesterday

Master

AD visit yesterday

*Potentially boring rolex talk*

Having been on the list for a date sub for a year I thought I'd drop by my local AD and say hello hoping to get a better idea of how long I might be waiting. I also wanted to try on a few other watches.
    Firstly I was pleasantly surprised to see several exhibition models to try on which wasn't the case the last time I went in.
    Although out of 25 watches in store only 5 were for sale and those were small PM ladies models. So i tried on the date and no date sub, batman on a jubilee bracelet and a two tone daytona.
    The subs both fitted so well and felt very nice on. Still prefer the date version. The batman has been a watch I love in pictures but once on I think I prefered the sub. Daytona again felt very nice on. Heavier than the sub but I wasn't a fan of the two tone, it had black dial with gold sub dial rings and bezel. Not a combo that did much for me to be honest.

Also tried on a blue BB58 which was really nice, I wanted to see the black dial but unfortunately they didn't have one. I was told they go almost as soon as they arrive. Although no wait list so I'll get a call when they next have one. Might need to see the blue and black side by side on my wrist to decide. Finally a Pelagos which was very comfortable being so light but maybe a bit too big for me.

Had a nice chat with the assistant and he was very helpful. They didn't have my purchase history on recored so need to email that in as he said I basically had no chance of getting a sub without it.
    Current wait time he estimated at 4 years, 7 years if no history (but probably never).. Daytona?... That would be 10 years at least if you're lucky. I'm happy to wait although realise the crazy state of affairs but it is what it is.
    BB58 while I wait then maybe. Wish I'd taken some wrist shots now though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This supply situation is all a bit nuts if you ask me. I can’t see it being sustainable in the long term. People will probably find other alternatives. Or maybe not, clearly this is the current Rolex strategy but are they heading for a fall with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 fricking years for a no date sub? Ok that’s actually ludicrous.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Things seem to go in cycles.

Not so long ago, most Rolex models were easily obtainable, often with discounts.

But wasn't there a time before that when absurdly long wait times similar to current ones were being quoted? I seem to remember discussion of it on here: People laughing about how absurd quoted Rolex wait times of 5, 7, 10, etc. years were a few years previously and how the availability situation had changed before most of those wait times had actually expired.

It seems likely to me that the cycle goes on. I don't know when the current high demand (and thus seemingly low availability) part of the cycle will end or what the exact mechanism for its ending will be but it does seem likely to happen. It just depends how long one can hold on for. ;-)

Master
    It is crazy I don't deny that but not many options if you want the watch and don't want to pay grey prices, I mean they are already very expensive watches.
    The assistant said he had actual info but thought the daytona would likely be discontinued before most people on the list got one.
    The situation will no doubt change eventually but the shortages worldwide could mean the current state lasts for a good few years yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    but thought the daytona would likely be discontinued before most people on the list got one.
    !!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    !!!
    Not completely I expect just replaced with a new model

Master
    My buddy was on a list for 2 years for a sub with no purchase history with goldsmiths. Bought a lady DJ and an eternity ring and 3 month later got sub date.

I love my 58 and think the blue will age better due to no faux lume. It’s a clean modern look with some heritage cues.

Send in your purchase history and you may get a Sub in four years?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Thanks for the apt warning at the beginning of the post.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    My buddy was on a list for 2 years for a sub with no purchase history with goldsmiths. Bought a lady DJ and an eternity ring and 3 month later got sub date.

I love my 58 and think the blue will age better due to no faux lume. It’s a clean modern look with some heritage cues.
    Hopefully I'll get it sooner. I was pretty set on black before I went in but once on really liked the blue

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Wondering why doesn’t the AD already KNOW the purchase history....

Same in all the AD's in Australia. No buying record no sports models. I know of those who are spending AUD150k plus on watches and jewellery to try and get an 18k Daytona. I've given up on acquiring a new Rolex from an AD and very happy with the current tudor & Breitling offerings. Picked up these with only a two month wait for the Tudor and a month for the Chronomat Ice-blue

In other news …

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...snoopy-content

Omega 1 : Rolex 0

Master
    Wondering why doesn’t the AD already KNOW the purchase history....
    They should do but I'm not surprised. I was offered 3 explorer's in the space of a year so records obviously weren't being updated.

It is ludicrous. I have enjoyed Rolex watches, but have recently sold 3 and moved on to new pastures. It's quite liberating! There are some fantastic watches to be had out there if you broaden your search.

These type of threads suck us in like a moth to the flame.

My neighbour is trying for a new Rolex with a few AD's, he explains to me what they said and how hard it is, I said I know, I read about it all the time! They asked him to stop by every now and again, would kind of prove his interest in actually acquiring one apparently - what a load of crap.

I'm trying to convince him to go the secondhand 5 digit route, none of this rubbish or hoops to jump through.

Here is a question -
    How long before the used Rolex market goes the same way, grey dealers starting lists and pushing to sell less desirable watches to be considered for one of the secret safe Rolex? Effectively they can ask what they want so I dont see them holding back on a sale if someone is willing to pay way over the odds, if used stock starts to dry up then things might change..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    if used stock starts to dry up then things might change..
    If used stocks were to dry up then no doubt things would inevitably end up in the used market as they currently are in the new market. However, as far as I can see there is no reason to think that used stocks are likely to dry up[1].

There is no shortage of older used Rolex watches as far as I know and there's no suggestion that new Rolex supplies are any more constrained than they were in the past; it's just that demand exceeds supply. And a lot of those new Rolexes do seem to be entering the grey market!

Footnote:-
    1: Unless some used/grey dealers were conspire to illegally try to corner the market and hoard stocks.

Blog Entries
    No need for another thread on this "topic".
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    If they are relying on customers to give their own sales history, you could make up something really impressive and who knows? That Daytona may suddenly become available!