closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hit and run - Car Damage

Journeyman

Hit and run - Car Damage

Someone has damaged my wife's car whilst it was parked. Looks like a lorry has reversed into it and damaged the bumper, grill and bonnet and will need replacing.

The car is a 16 plate ford smax with approx value of £18k. There's no cctv so no real chance of finding the culprit.

The insurance has a £400 excess and protected no claims.

What should i do in this situation, go through the insurance? Contact the police? Although the no claims are protected does this really mean the premium wont increase next year?

I will take it to a body shop this week and get an estimate but would image the works will be £1-2K.

Great start to the week!

Blog Entries
    Is there no cctv that might show a vehicle arriving or leaving, even if it doesnt cover the damage being done?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

This sounds ridiculous but I would consider keeping quiet, on your insurance proposal form it will say have you had an accident or made a claim in the last five years, the second you tell them the answer becomes yes. If you have protected no claims and use it just means you wont be able to move insurance provider without an increase in premiums.

My son had someone reverse across a road and hit his car while it was parked on a drive, it ended up costing him a fortune.

If you have no claims protection just claim - if not then unlikely to be worth it

Protected no claims only means you won't lose any years, it won't stop your prices going up, as you still have to declare a claim on renewals for the next 5yrs, they won't go up as much as if you lost no claims years as well, but they will go up. If you want to get an idea of how much, get quotes now on gocompare or whatever both with and without a claim
    Last edited by Brighty; 20th September 2021 at 11:12.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Protected no claims only means you won't lose any years, it won't stop your prices going up, as you still have to declare a claim on renewals for the next 5yrs, they won't go up as much as if you lost no claims years as well, but they will go up. If you want to get an idea of how much, get quotes now on gocompare or whatever both with and without a claim
    Good idea. Seems like an insurance increase of around £100, so not too bad.

My wife's car had the CAT stolen last year. We claimed for the £1000 replacement, £300 excess, only 2 years NCD lost.

On renewal, 1st Central put the premium up by £200. I shopped around and got it insured for only £60 extra so it might not be as bad as you think.

EDIT: Just seen your post above. It could be worse
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 20th September 2021 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    My wife's car had the CAT stolen last year. We claimed for the £1000 replacement, £300 excess, only 2 years NCD lost.

On renewal, 1st Central put the premium up by £200. I shopped around and got it insured for only £60 extra so it might not be as bad as you think.
    Yeah, the big hit is in yr1 as well, the difference decreases and the time since the claim goes on

My car was hit by a grocery delivery van as it reversed round a bend. Happened in the dark no witnesses, went round the neighbours houses to check CCTV. no one.
    The passenger door needed a new skin and complete nearside re-spray.
    I got a Police incident number.
    LV insurance dealt with it very quickly and efficiently.
    My next policy went up by £100 so not too bad. 45 years of accident free driving spoilt.

Journeyman
    So after further inspection it looks like a car/van with a bike rack has reversed into the car causing the damage! There’s a very good chance i will be able to find out who did this since its happened on a school run and I suspect another parent.

What should one do if they think they find the offending vehicle? It will have a broken tail lamp and alot of paint from my wifes car on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    So after further inspection it looks like a car/van with a bike rack has reversed into the car causing the damage! There’s a very good chance i will be able to find out who did this since its happened on a school run and I suspect another parent.

What should one do if they think they find the offending vehicle? It will have a broken tail lamp and alot of paint from my wifes car on it.
    Photograph and report to police for hit and run. Furnish insurer with details of alleged vehicle and crime reference number, let them sort it out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    This sounds ridiculous but I would consider keeping quiet, on your insurance proposal form it will say have you had an accident or made a claim in the last five years, the second you tell them the answer becomes yes. If you have protected no claims and use it just means you wont be able to move insurance provider without an increase in premiums.

My son had someone reverse across a road and hit his car while it was parked on a drive, it ended up costing him a fortune.
    If you fail to declare the accident to your insurance company - even if you do not initiate a claim - you may find your policy invalidated should the incident come to light. See, for example, https://www.beckettandco.co.uk/notif...otor-insurers/

As the other driver has done a runner it may be that the incident is less likely to come to light, but that's not really the point.

Unless you have a video of it hitting your car, clearly showing the registration number and the drivers face, there is nothing you can do, even if he apologises and admits it to get rid of you, unless he admits it to his insurance company.

Master
    If you have the piece of plastic from the offending vehicles lamp and see a vehicle on your school run that seems like it may be the one, you can see if it fits the broken lamp and you will be in a position to confront the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    If you fail to declare the accident to your insurance company - even if you do not initiate a claim - you may find your policy invalidated should the incident come to light. See, for example, https://www.beckettandco.co.uk/notif...otor-insurers/

As the other driver has done a runner it may be that the incident is less likely to come to light, but that's not really the point.
    It's semantics but you haven't been involved in an accident if you weren't there.

Just claim on your insurance
    Your premium won’t go up by £2000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you supposed to report any incidents to your insurance company within 24 hours?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's semantics but you haven't been involved in an accident if you weren't there.
    This is general advice from a solicitor. What matters is the wording in the OP's policy but I would be surprised if it didn't require all incidents to be reported promptly. As for not being there, many claims arise from cars parked without the driver in them at the time of the incident.

And, yes, the insurer will probably raise the premium because apparently the industry's statistics show that cars involved in incidents are more likely to be involved in future incidents. That's why they require all incidents to be reported and not reporting them can invalidate future policies. You fail to report them at your peril.

TBH it sounds as though the damage will cost quite a bit to fix - the cost of repairs are always a bit of an eye-opener - and the OP might as well bite the bullet. The benefit from protected no claims bonus is they would pay even more at renewal time without it.

Master
    I was unfortunate to write a car off some years ago. I had a protected no claims with Directline at the time, so assumed all would be well, so I replaced my car with the same model.
    At renewal time I was stunned when it was nearly 4 or 5 times what it had been the year before.
    Upon speaking with DL, they informed me that, yes, I had a protected no claims discount but they had now loaded my policy significantly, which took, from memory, about 4 years to get back to its previous level.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I was unfortunate to write a car off some years ago. I had a protected no claims with Directline at the time, so assumed all would be well, so I replaced my car with the same model.
    At renewal time I was stunned when it was nearly 4 or 5 times what it had been the year before.
    Upon speaking with DL, they informed me that, yes, I had a protected no claims discount but they had now loaded my policy significantly, which took, from memory, about 4 years to get back to its previous level.
    It dawned on me a few years ago that that was what would happen - and that’s staying with the same insurer. Is a new insurer even bound by “protected” no claims??

The whole insurance system is a money making rip off in this country. Whatever you do you will pay dearly. There is no right answer. Protected no claims is just a joke. Your accident will be in the system once you acknowledge it and every company will bring it up come renewal time. There is no protection. Its just something they can add to your premium to make you feel safer falsely.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    The whole insurance system is a money making rip off in this country. Whatever you do you will pay dearly. There is no right answer. Protected no claims is just a joke. Your accident will be in the system once you acknowledge it and every company will bring it up come renewal time. There is no protection. Its just something they can add to your premium to make you feel safer falsely.
    OK, how much would YOU charge to underwrite the risk of someone driving for 12 months? Bear mind the potential for personal injury claims, if a young person is seriously injured and unable to work the payout can be huge, replacing the metal is relatively cheap.......so how much would you charge to underwrite that?

Contrary to popular myth the insurance industry doesn’t make big money on car insurance and I don't believe anyone gets ripped off. My late father worked in the insurance business and he showed me the figures, it’s going back a good few years but the principle’s the same. It sometimes feels unfair but the statistics don’t lie and that’s what everything’s based on.

Master
    Got to do some maths,

How much is your excess? Me £300
    How many other poilcys are you on? 3 including a blown V8
    Any plans for an upgrade or treat car ?

Get on the meercats and do a quote with a claim in it, It can add up quite fast.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OK, how much would YOU charge to underwrite the risk of someone driving for 12 months? Bear mind the potential for personal injury claims, if a young person is seriously injured and unable to work the payout can be huge, replacing the metal is relatively cheap.......so how much would you charge to underwrite that?

Contrary to popular myth the insurance industry doesn’t make big money on car insurance and I don't believe anyone gets ripped off. My late father worked in the insurance business and he showed me the figures, it’s going back a good few years but the principle’s the same. It sometimes feels unfair but the statistics don’t lie and that’s what everything’s based on.
    Not so. Every single year without fail I get my renewal quote and its gone up without any claims. I shop around. Get a cheaper like for like quote and the operator says 'I'll speak to my manager'. Then they match it because I'm a lovely customer. That's ripping your customers off. I'm sure there are lots of people who just pay more and say nothing. That's nothing to do with statistics.

Journeyman
    I have reported the incident to my insurance company, will find out next year how much extra they add to the premium.

I have two vehicles insured on the policy, I assume this will mean a double whammy price increase?

Master
    I have reported the incident to my insurance company, will find out next year how much extra they add to the premium.

I have two vehicles insured on the policy, I assume this will mean a double whammy price increase?

Yes, the levy is on you, so will influence all policies.

Not so. Every single year without fail I get my renewal quote and its gone up without any claims. I shop around. Get a cheaper like for like quote and the operator says 'I'll speak to my manager'. Then they match it because I'm a lovely customer. That's ripping your customers off. I'm sure there are lots of people who just pay more and say nothing. That's nothing to do with statistics.
    Had the same issue a few times, insurance renewal time it goes up, on the telephone “Why has it gone up?” Well sir there is nothing we can do. “Well I have just looked on your website and if I am a new customer it’s less”. Oh yes sir that’s true, still nothing I can do.

Changing company every 12 months the whole thing is a farce

Master
    I've often found that when my renewal comes in, I do the Meerkat dance, very often getting a cheaper quote there from my current insurers renewal quote, so I call them up, give them the quote reference number and as if by magic, they match it!

I give them the old "I'd rather stay with you than have the hassle of moving to a new insurer" and it has worked for the past 3 years. When I ask why this happens, they have no answer but I suspect it's down the them hoping people will just accept their inflated renewal price without checking.

"Customer apathy", I think it's called.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Had the same issue a few times, insurance renewal time it goes up, on the telephone “Why has it gone up?” Well sir there is nothing we can do. “Well I have just looked on your website and if I am a new customer it’s less”. Oh yes sir that’s true, still nothing I can do.

Computer driven algorithms run the show now, telephone answering devices rarely do anything but look at screens I guess.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Seems absurd to me that they get away with charging you more because of an accident you had nothing to do with.

Stats are all good and well, but they should be used in a responsible and ethical way.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Seems absurd to me that they get away with charging you more because of an accident you had nothing to do with.
    If they didn't, there would be lots of times where both parties in an accident would claim their car was damaged while unattended, even though it wasn't.

Not so. Every single year without fail I get my renewal quote and its gone up without any claims. I shop around. Get a cheaper like for like quote and the operator says 'I'll speak to my manager'. Then they match it because I'm a lovely customer.

I don't even give them the chance to speak to a manager.

Renewal comes in £100 more than last year despite no claims. Shop around. Find deal £75 cheaper than last year. Buy new insurance then phone old insurer to say I won't be renewing. Farcical!

It's enough of a PITA so I won't hang on the phone for a minute longer than I need to. They're banking on people not checking the renewal or forgetting so it auto renews.

As for no margins in it? I seriously doubt that.

And someone should take a look into the whole business model, such as the approved hire companies charging £250 per day for a car that's usually what, £50? Or allowing the approved bodyshop to charge £2000 for a £500 bumper respray. It's a massive scam and the punter is obliged to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    If they didn't, there would be lots of times where both parties in an accident would claim their car was damaged while unattended, even though it wasn't.
    That's an interesting point, but still feels like a crappy solution to the problem.

Grand Master
    I’ve insured both my own car and wifeys together with Admiral for the past 3 years, when the renewal comes through its usually around 10% more than last time so I phone them and challenge the price, I claim I could get a better deal by changing but I’d prefer to stay with them; this is complete bullshit and rge person on the phone replies with similar bullshit, but it has the desired effect and the price drops to a figure I’m happier with so I renew. It’s a silly conversation but I’ve got used to it, it's the way the world works thesedays.

£601 for my 11 year old Jag XF 3.0 and wifeys 4 yr old Focus Titanium, can’t grumble at that. Being over 60 has its virtues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post

I believe that from next January they’ll have to quote the equivalent “new customer” premium. Whether they can still get away with loyal customer premium pricing, we will see.

EDIT: Actually more radical.

People renewing their home or motor insurance will pay no more than they would as a new customer from January.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57270415

That will mean that regular switchers will pay more and non-switchers less.

Last edited by David_D; 21st September 2021 at 23:28.

Stats are all good and well, but they should be used in a responsible and ethical way.
    You’re statistically more of a liability.

Maybe where you park your car etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You’re statistically more of a liability.

Maybe where you park your car etc.
    Debateable. In this scenario a long time driver who has had presumably 1,000s if not 10,000s of days with no accidents has a 1 time event when they're not in the vehicle. Extrapolating that into a trend is going to provide a very weak signal at best IMO. Of course if you're creative with data you can get it to predict pretty much anything, depending on how you cut the data, which variables you use, how you weight those variables, how you target set etc. It's down to the folk creating the stats to exercise the right judgement and of course to test the outcomes. So the question becomes, what outcome are they optimising for - £'s? Course without insight into the data it's hard to say anything definitive, so it's all just speculation really.

Hit and run - Car Damage

They can use data from 1000’s of such one-off incidents, extrapolate and determine there might just be a slightly extra risk and charge a bit more.
    Up to them really, don’t have to insure anyone, their decision, and you, likewise can go elsewhere.

They can use data from 1000’s of such one-off incidents, extrapolate and determine there might just be a slightly extra risk and charge a bit more.
    Up to them really, don’t have to insure anyone, their decision, and you, likewise can go elsewhere.
    Oh well that fully explains it then. Just a bit of extrapolation, what could go wrong!

Clearly we disagree which is fine, but I suspect you might be surprised at how easy it is to fit data to your desired outcome. Not sure what the relevance of your last sentence is to the conversation, we're not talking about me.

Oh well that fully explains it then. Just a bit of extrapolation, what could go wrong!

Clearly we disagree which is fine, but I suspect you might be surprised at how easy it is to fit data to your desired outcome. Not sure what the relevance of your last sentence is to the conversation, we're not talking about me.
    I wouldn’t be surprised but accept that whatever they do is their prerogative and not for us to worry over - if it goes wrong, their problem.
    Maybe I should have used we in the last sentence though you seem particularly aggrieved by their practices.

Using the example I gave earlier in this thread, how can a car parked on a private drive well away from the road ever present an increased risk? it was hit by a stupid person, it is the same as calling your insurer because your car has been bumped in a car park yet no claim is ever made, how can that increase the risk?

Using the example I gave earlier in this thread, how can a car parked on a private drive well away from the road ever present an increased risk? it was hit by a stupid person, it is the same as calling your insurer because your car has been bumped in a car park yet no claim is ever made, how can that increase the risk?
    Obviously don’t know your details but maybe it’s in a location more likely to be hit by a stupid person? Maybe there are more stupid people in the area?

As for bumping in the car park, some people park away from others, away from vans etc - all will change the risk.

It might have been malicious, targeted damage? Unlikely I know, but still something they might assume.

Ultimately, they don’t have to think of a reason, they’ll just look at their statistics.

Obviously don’t know your details but maybe it’s in a location more likely to be hit by a stupid person? Maybe there are more stupid people in the area?

As for bumping in the car park, some people park away from others, away from vans etc - all will change the risk.
    I'm being obnoxious now but never seen do you park away from others as a question on an insurance form, funnily enough my business partner just moved house, about five miles, his car insurance has increased by £350, he's not happy.

I'm being obnoxious now but never seen do you park away from others as a question on an insurance form, funnily enough my business partner just moved house, about five miles, his car insurance has increased by £350, he's not happy.
    Premiums are determined by postcode (alongside many other criteria of course) and that is most likely to be the reason for your business partners increase in premium. WRT your bemusement as to why 'how can a car parked on a private drive well away from the road ever present an increased risk?' the risk is increased by not having parked your car in a garage, just as parking your car on the road even outside your property is a higher risk than parking it on your drive.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    In a similar vain, one insurer told me my premium would be higher if my car was garaged, rather than in the drive as “it would give a potential thief more time to work on my car unobserved, should he gain access to my garage”. ?*??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    In a similar vain, one insurer told me my premium would be higher if my car was garaged, rather than in the drive as “it would give a potential thief more time to work on my car unobserved, should he gain access to my garage”. ?*??

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I got told storing in garage is more expensive due to garage related claims e.g. reversing into garage wall/scraping doors etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    I got told storing in garage is more expensive due to garage related claims e.g. reversing into garage wall/scraping doors etc.

Yep, sister in law told the same thing when a quote was actually higher for a garaged car than for same car parked on drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Premiums are determined by postcode (alongside many other criteria of course) and that is most likely to be the reason for your business partners increase in premium. WRT your bemusement as to why 'how can a car parked on a private drive well away from the road ever present an increased risk?' the risk is increased by not having parked your car in a garage, just as parking your car on the road even outside your property is a higher risk than parking it on your drive.

R
    Sorry R, they were different issues, the partners increase was just annoying, Both houses were in fairly posh quiet areas.

The on drive increase was after a woman was turning round in the road and backed across the verge, a path and then 15 feet down the drive and hit the car, the car was already insured as parked on the drive.

anecdotally we are all hearing stories like this every week, I'm sure some can be justified but a lot make absolutely no sense, other than profiteering.